The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 02-01-2020, 06:54 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
However, it's great to see that several fellow royals made the trip to Spain (or attended while living in Spain) to pay their respects at the service in honor of the infanta.

Unfortunately, it again shows the extreme coldness (close to hatred) between the sisters-in-law. They truly cannot stand each other; I don't get the same vibe from their brother.

Letizia looks super uncomfortable as soon as she is confronted with the sisters who on most occasions appear with the Emeritus Kings.
It's clear who has sided with whom.

And Felipe between a rock and a hard place.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Letizia looks super uncomfortable as soon as she is confronted with the sisters who on most occasions appear with the Emeritus Kings.
It's clear who has sided with whom.

And Felipe between a rock and a hard place.
Maybe in the old days when JC was still the King. Now I don't see her being uncomfortable with the presence of the sister-in-law, just didn't 'give a damn'.
Elena and Christina are not the members of the royal family anymore. It's not a protocol violation when the Kings didn't greet them. Of course the Kings could choose to greet them (if Elena were alone, they probably would do it), but for obvious reasons they didn't want to.
The family arguments over years centered Christina and Inaki have been over after Inaki went to jail. Now each person is put in their own place. Each does things what they want/need to. The sisters-in-law don't get along well, sure, but no need to over analyze everything.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-01-2020, 06:57 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 3,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Maybe in the old days when JC was still the King. Now I don't see her being uncomfortable with the presence of the sister-in-law, just didn't 'give a damn'.
Elena and Christina are not the members of the royal family anymore. It's not a protocol violation when the Kings didn't greet them. Of course the Kings could choose to greet them (if Elena were alone, they probably would do it), but for obvious reasons they didn't want to.
The family arguments over years centered Christina and Inaki have been over after Inaki went to jail. Now each person is put in their own place. Each does things what they want/need to. The sisters-in-law don't get along well, sure, but no need to over analyze everything.
If she didn't care, she would have behaved very differently (this time and before). She 'spotted' them with her eyes (see pictures of her irises in the corner of her eyes) when walking in and then purposefully and somewhat haughtily ignored them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I understand that the Spanish Royal Family observes the strictest protocol, and they execute it flawlessly.

But I love to see united and close families convey some hint of warmth even in the midst of a ceremonial occasions and there was absolutely absolutely zero to see of it at La Almudena.

I can remember when Cristina and Felipe were the closest, most complicit of Royal siblings.

They appeared now as they sadly are...irretrievably estranged.
While yes, they seem pretty strict on protocol, still greeting your parents (with queen Sofia needing to bend forward quite a bit to even make that possible) and princess Beatrix with 3 kisses doesn't look like strict protocol to me (a more formal greeting would); neither does having infanta Margarita sit with the family of Infanta Pilar instead of with the other infantas. So, at times they are able to make adjustments...
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
While yes, they seem pretty strict on protocol, still greeting your parents (with queen Sofia needing to bend forward quite a bit to even make that possible) and princess Beatrix with 3 kisses doesn't look like strict protocol to me (a more formal greeting would); neither does having infanta Margarita sit with the family of Infanta Pilar instead of with the other infantas. So, at times they are able to make adjustments...

I have seen many royal funerals, many of them with other monarchs in attendance, and the monarch of the host country usually enters the church and takes his/her place without stopping to greet anyone.



I think greeting his parents and kissing Princess Beatrix was strictly personal and had nothing to do with protocol. It was not a state funeral anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-01-2020, 08:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
If she didn't care, she would have behaved very differently (this time and before). She 'spotted' them with her eyes (see pictures of her irises in the corner of her eyes) when walking in and then purposefully and somewhat haughtily ignored them.
It was a split second gesture, obvious media wanted to look for a story. Vice Versa with Cristina. The relation between the Kings and his sister are cold, anything new ? Felipe didn't greet his sisters first, what else could Letizia do other than following her husband, the King ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I have seen many royal funerals, many of them with other monarchs in attendance, and the monarch of the host country usually enters the church and takes his/her place without stopping to greet anyone.



I think greeting his parents and kissing Princess Beatrix was strictly personal and had nothing to do with protocol. It was not a state funeral anyway.
Completely agree. It's out of respect and appreciation for the older generation monarchies, there is no need to do the same for the same generation infantas.
The relation is indeed cold. Cristina has always been an extremely proud person, after Felipe revoked her title after being told many times to resign, what else could be expected ?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-01-2020, 08:52 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
Maybe in the old days when JC was still the King. Now I don't see her being uncomfortable with the presence of the sister-in-law, just didn't 'give a damn'.
Elena and Christina are not the members of the royal family anymore. It's not a protocol violation when the Kings didn't greet them. Of course the Kings could choose to greet them (if Elena were alone, they probably would do it), but for obvious reasons they didn't want to.
The family arguments over years centered Christina and Inaki have been over after Inaki went to jail. Now each person is put in their own place. Each does things what they want/need to. The sisters-in-law don't get along well, sure, but no need to over analyze everything.

How do you know that the family arguments have stopped? I would hope they'd stop at some point, but I've seen no change in behaviour or in reporting that would indicate anything has changed. And there's sometimes a difference between public position and position in family power politics. Elena and Cristina's "place" is that of Infantas of Spain, daughters of a King, and well loved members of the extended family and the long time social circle of which Felipe is still a part. Let's not pretend they couldn't be formidable adversaries behind the scenes if they so chose.

Also, let's review: Cristina faced a judge determined to send her to trial no matter what, (the same judge who then sat for many hours with a journalist to discuss the case, including talking about "feelings" he had about Cristina but just couldn't prove), the entire Spanish media drumming up a witch hunt that involved leaked personal emails, the prosecutor's office going through mountains of documents and advising she not be brought to trial due to lack of evidence, and finally a panel of well respected judges who found her not guilty of any crime. Inaki was found guilty and is now paying his debt to society. She is attending her aunt's funeral with the rest of her family. They are in a church. Felipe is His Most CATHOLIC Majesty of Spain. She is his sister. And you're saying that he stood within a foot of her and deliberately ignored her? If that's true, IMO, that would make Felipe small minded, petty and cowardly. Not qualities that tend to make a good man, let alone one deserving of his position as King. So, I'm going to stick with blaming it on protocol. The alternative you present makes him look too pathetic.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 02-01-2020, 10:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
How do you know that the family arguments have stopped? I would hope they'd stop at some point, but I've seen no change in behaviour or in reporting that would indicate anything has changed. And there's sometimes a difference between public position and position in family power politics. Elena and Cristina's "place" is that of Infantas of Spain, daughters of a King, and well loved members of the extended family and the long time social circle of which Felipe is still a part. Let's not pretend they couldn't be formidable adversaries behind the scenes if they so chose.

Also, let's review: Cristina faced a judge determined to send her to trial no matter what, (the same judge who then sat for many hours with a journalist to discuss the case, including talking about "feelings" he had about Cristina but just couldn't prove), the entire Spanish media drumming up a witch hunt that involved leaked personal emails, the prosecutor's office going through mountains of documents and advising she not be brought to trial due to lack of evidence, and finally a panel of well respected judges who found her not guilty of any crime. Inaki was found guilty and is now paying his debt to society. She is attending her aunt's funeral with the rest of her family. They are in a church. Felipe is His Most CATHOLIC Majesty of Spain. She is his sister. And you're saying that he stood within a foot of her and deliberately ignored her? If that's true, IMO, that would make Felipe small minded, petty and cowardly. Not qualities that tend to make a good man, let alone one deserving of his position as King. So, I'm going to stick with blaming it on protocol. The alternative you present makes him look too pathetic.
Over the years Sofia pretty much insisted that Inaki was innocent (didn't her Greek family publicly defended the innocence of Inaki ?), her insistence of depending her daughter and son-in-law, rehabilitating their image added lots of pressure on Felipe. That's what I meant on the family arguments, which was over after Inaki went to jail. Yes, media did do the witch hunt on them (that's the type of media in Spain), but it's also the fact that her Daddy and then PM Rajoy did all they could to save her, but that's another topic.

I don't know there is a protocol for the King to greet own family members or friends at a state (or formal) funeral, but protocol can be broken for good intentions. I think Felipe did the greeting to his parents and Beatrice out of respect and appreciation for the elderly monarchies. He didn't go out of his way to greet his sisters, don't see anything wrong with it.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 02-03-2020, 05:10 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 25,485
With the death of HRH The Infanta Pilar ,her personal duchy that of Badajoz which was for life only reverted to the Crown,the Infanta having held the title since 1967.
__________________

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 02-04-2020, 05:17 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 12,208
Thanks for mentioning Pilar's title - I was wondering what would happen to the duchy now that she is no longer with us. It'll be interesting to see if/when it will next be used and Badajoz will have another royal representative.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 02-04-2020, 06:03 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 25,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Thanks for mentioning Pilar's title - I was wondering what would happen to the duchy now that she is no longer with us. It'll be interesting to see if/when it will next be used and Badajoz will have another royal representative.
Infanta Pilar was also Dowager Viscountess de la Torre since her husband death in 1991 ,her eldest son Don Juan Gómez-Acebo is now the 3rd Viscount de La Torre.
__________________

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 02-04-2020, 07:54 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Somewhere in ..., Spain
Posts: 54
Letizia has been the enemy and the evil witch for a long rime but it was Felipe the one who cut all ties with his sister, it was very very very very grave the things his brother in law made and he is not an idiot, her sister has been exonerated but only because who she is, and in Spain nobody believe she didn't know anything about her husband affairs. I think the big problem is they don't regret anything, they think they are innocent even if there are proofs and proofs against them (or Urdangarin) and they don't beg for perdon and show any kind of regretting, no, they are very proud of themselves forgetting their children and the difficult live they are having to have because their father actions, in school other children can be so cruel.

For Felipe must to be very painful, after all she is his sister. We don't know how is their relationship, one thing is show in public, where there are cameras everywhere and there are a protocol to follow, and another and totally different thing is your private life, but they, Felipe and Letizia, care about they nephews and nieces, Irene attended to Sofía first communion for example and Victoria has a very good relation with Letizia. I really think their private relation is good, not as used to be a few years ago but tolerable. It said Juan Carlos is very disappointment with his daughter, he tried to help her of course but she and her husband also were the ones who took away his crown.

And I don't want to say anything else, this is the place to remember an extraordinary woman as HRH Infanta Pilar de Borbón.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 02-05-2020, 03:30 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 25,485
Almost a week late but Casareal managed to release footage of the Funeral of the kings aunt at Real Monasterio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial.

__________________

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 02-08-2020, 04:11 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 52,623
There will be another mass for Infanta Pilar, this time organized by the Nuevo Futuro association, Infanta Pilar has been President of Honor of.

The mass will be held on February 14 at 20 pm in the Parish Madrileña San Francisco de Borja.



** hola article **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 02-08-2020, 05:02 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 25,485
The Nuevo Futuro had a special place in Infanta Pilars heart it will be very strange not to see her at the 2020 Madrid charity market.

The Mass is a nice idea from the charity to its late Honorary President.
__________________

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 02-08-2020, 06:50 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 12,208
It's great that the Nuevo Futuro is organising the mass for Pilar; you can tell they both meant a lot to each other. It will indeed be strange not to see her there.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 02-15-2020, 04:30 AM
eya eya is offline
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: -, Greece
Posts: 17,788
Indanta Pilar Mass At at Parroquia San Francisco de Borja in Madrid on 14 February

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/2/...this_event_adp
__________________
Deja vu and the 2020!!!
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 02-15-2020, 03:35 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 52,623
Here are some more photos of family and friends at the mass organized by the Nuevo Futuro association yesterday:



** hola: Familiares y amigos de doña Pilar le dan un último adiós en el funeral organizado por el rastrillo 'Nuevo Futuro' **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 02-15-2020, 03:53 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 25,485
There was a good turn out at the Memorial Mass ,I spotted Beatriz d'Orléans in attendance with members of the Spanish nobility.
__________________

__________________

21st of February 1575,Death of Claude de France,Duchess of Lorraine.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Death & Funeral of Ari Behn: December 25, 2019/January 3, 2020 norwegianne Princess Märtha Louise and Children 413 02-09-2020 03:42 AM
Death and funeral of Infanta Alicia - 2017 lula Royal Families of Italy 93 06-02-2017 04:50 PM
80th Birthday of The Infanta Pilar of Spain An Ard Ri Royal Family of Spain 21 07-31-2016 08:46 PM
Infantas Pilar and Margarita, Current Events Part Part 1: May 2004 - June 2014 tanya Current Events Archive 400 06-12-2014 03:11 AM




Popular Tags
administrator aristocracy belgian royal belgian royal family chittagong crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher danish royalty denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke of sussex dutch royal family dutch royals family search french royalty future future wife of prince hussein germany haakon vii hill history house of bernadotte house of grimaldi israel jerusalem jumma kent king philippe lithuania lithuanian palaces mailing mbs meghan markle monaco royal monarchy mountbatten netflix nobel prize norway history official visit pakistan popularity prince charles prince daniel prince harry princely family of monaco princess benedikte pronunciation qe2 queen mathilde queen maud queen paola rania of jordan romanov family rown spanish royal state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish history thailand tracts trump united kingdom unsubscribe valois visit from sweden


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×