The van Vollenhoven Family, Current Events & Pictures Part 1 (December 2005 - )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dutch royal said:
I am going to be there friday to make pictures of the princesses. I live in apeldoorn and the palace is not far away from my work. My twinsister will also be there.:D

It was sunney and light when we came there and we made beautyfull pictures. I was interviewed by the local newspaper and my sister is fotografed by the ANP, look she is the girl in the orange jacket!!!

:) :) :) :) :D :D :p :p

Attachments

• loo033ua.jpg
    loo033ua.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 324
jolanda oosterveen said:
It was sunney and light when we came there and we made beautyfull pictures. I was interviewed by the local newspaper and my sister is fotografed by the ANP, look she is the girl in the orange jacket!!!

:) :) :) :) :D :D :p :p

Welcome to the Forum Jolanda! Your sister has been telling us about her experiences of royalty watching with you this year, so we have heard a bit about you already!:) What a great pic of your sister in there with the other photographers. It must have been quite an exciting day for you both.

Princess Maxima said:
Am i the onlyone who thinks that Anita looks pregnant?

Do we really have to go there? Speculate every time we see pictures of Anita and Aimee if they are pregnant or not until there is actually an announcement? It's sooooooo tiring. :rolleyes:

Why can't we just enjoy Anita (and Aimee's) appearance at this event without starting rumours about if one of them is pregnant.

leon said:
Prince Floris and his wife Aimee.......

Was Floris the only husband there? Why couldn't the other husbands come?

Also Anita makes this face a lot! She made it at her engagement announcement too! It looks like she's seen a ghost or something? Or maybe she saw that ugly suit she wore for her civil ceremony and was aghast by it! :D

Beautiful ladies with good-looking husbands.

Stellad

Genevieve said:
Was Floris the only husband there? Why couldn't the other husbands come?

i think the event was originally only for the 5 princesses.. prince floris is an exeption, perhaps he cannot stay away from his dear wife.

btw, are all the vollenhovens live in amsterdam?
this might be one of the reasons they all so close to each other, as oppose to wa, const, and friso who live in wassenaar, brussels, and london ?

photographs of the princesses

Self made pictures of the daughter- inlaws from Princess margriet . Pictures are made friday 16 december on paleis het loo

Attachments

• PICT0020.GEMERKT1.JPG
    PICT0020.GEMERKT1.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 353
  • PICT0018.gemerkt.JPG
    PICT0018.gemerkt.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 357
Here is another nice picture between princess aimee and princess annette

Attachments

• PICT0028'.verkleind.JPG
    PICT0028'.verkleind.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 403
Princess Maxima said:
Am i the onlyone who thinks that Anita looks pregnant?

hope so ;)

if she isn't in any case she looks very happy

gorgeous and beautiful, dutch royal !
keep them coming...

purple_platinum said:
gorgeous and beautiful, dutch royal !
keep them coming...
Ditto! I love seeing photos of this event! Can you also give us some of your impressions of seeing them arrive?

:D It was verry funny because when the cars arrived, you heard princess annette screaming at the chauffeur that he should wait to open the car because here mother - inlaw, princess margriet had to come out of the second car first. Thats why i took pictures of the princess Annette so close..:p

Lovely pictures Dutch Royal! Thanks for sharing them.:)

04-05-2006 Prof mr. P Van Vollenhoven and Prince Pieter Christiaan at the memorial of WWII at the Grebbenberg.

from PPE

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 301
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Here a picture of Prof. Mr. pieter van vollenhoven at his visit at paleis het loo on may 12th

Attachments

• PICT0129.gemerkt.JPG
    PICT0129.gemerkt.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 323
Thanks for the picture, dutchroyal! Aways good to see him. Did you make that picture yourself?

---

Yesterday it was reported in the televisionnews and today in several newspapers that the sons and daughters-in-law of Princess Margriet all have special parking permits in their cars which enables them to park anywhere. Usually this permit is only given to doctors. The RVD said that the permit was gien out of safety reasons, because it allows them to get of the street as quickly as possible. However it caused some sour remarks from people living in Amsterdam and owning a car, as it is a real challenge to find any parkingspace there at all (a challenge which makes your blood pressure rise instantly).

;) ;) Yes marengo, i was there to make pictures. It was on a friday and after lunch. I had to work all morning but the palace is not far a way so i took my camera with me to work so that i could go right after my shift was ended.
This picture of pieter was a lucky shot: a lady talked to pieter and he came right over to see the pictures she had made at the oratie in enschede ? He looked at them and he liked them. IN THE MEAN TIME I COULD MAKE A LOT OF PICTURES:p :p :p :cool:

;) Here is the picture of the lady and pieter

Attachments

• PICT0132.gemerkt.JPG
    PICT0132.gemerkt.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 221
Marengo said:
Thanks for the picture, dutchroyal! Aways good to see him. Did you make that picture yourself?

---

Yesterday it was reported in the televisionnews and today in several newspapers that the sons and daughters-in-law of Princess Margriet all have special parking permits in their cars which enables them to park anywhere. Usually this permit is only given to doctors. The RVD said that the permit was gien out of safety reasons, because it allows them to get of the street as quickly as possible. However it caused some sour remarks from people living in Amsterdam and owning a car, as it is a real challenge to find any parkingspace there at all (a challenge which makes your blood pressure rise instantly).
Not to mention that in Amsterdam the 'common folk' typically have to wait SEVEN years to get their 'not so special' parking permit.

I expect that in the next few years the Dutch press will probably dig up more stuff like this and I have to say, in this sense I can't wait for Alexander to become king so the Van Vollenhoven kids will automatically lose their membership of the Koninklijk Huis.

Sympathetic and unpretentious as the Van Vollenhovens do seem (bar Aimee who just seems haughty to me, but I don't know the girl--might be entirely wrong on her) I'm starting to think the Dutch Royal House is becoming a bit crowded of late and nice as that is for us royalty junkies, it is just a pain in the neck for the system plus it's undemocratic to boot. Time for a cleanup, I say.

Once they're out of the Koninklijk Huis, the Vollenhoven kids should lose all these privileges (which dare I say it: have been kept secret from the Dutch public) and become just another rich family like tons of others in the world, who, gasp! tend to pay for their own safety precautions if they so please. (think the Kennedys for example)

Well, the van Vollenhovens dont have a bodyguard etc, so I don't know what security measures the state pays for them. And losing membership of the royal house won't change anything I am afraid, as PC and Floris already did and are still using the permits.

The safety reasoning seems bogus to me as well. As Wendy mentioned at the BRMB, they shop, they walk around/ cycle through Vondelpark etc.

Marengo said:
Well, the van Vollenhovens dont have a bodyguard etc, so I don't know what security measures the state pays for them. And losing membership of the royal house won't change anything I am afraid, as PC and Floris already did and are still using the permits.

The safety reasoning seems bogus to me as well. As Wendy mentioned at the BRMB, they shop, they walk around/ cycle through Vondelpark etc.
I agree. I don't have nothing against them but I think that they after losing membership of the RH can and should be treat like the other nobility persons.

Last edited:
I will admit that I have never had the pleasure of visting Amsterdam (although it is on one of my cities to visit) so I will take the word of my fellow forumists (okay..now I am making up words) about the parking situation BUT so eight people (the sons and their wives) have parking permits. I fail to see the big deal. They are not taking money from the state, they don't have bodyguards, etc. I am sure that there are other people who know someone who knows someone who works in the government and they too got a parking perk and no one reported on it. And the fact is because Princess Margriet is still in the Royal House and who they are (as evidenced by the pictures of Marliene shopping and sweeping her stairs and there participation at family events) they are not regular folks and will not fade away anytime soon. PLUS, I have a feeling 20 to 30 years from now, someone will be looking at a picture of Alexia and Lucas not knowing who he is.

I don't have a major problem with it either. Yes, Margriet & Pieter's boys & their families have to put up with having the press follow them around in their private lives (without them asking for this attention & without them really complaining too much about it). I think they deserve some concessions that will help them when they are out in public.

Zonk1189 said:
I will admit that I have never had the pleasure of visting Amsterdam (although it is on one of my cities to visit) so I will take the word of my fellow forumists (okay..now I am making up words) about the parking situation BUT so eight people (the sons and their wives) have parking permits. I fail to see the big deal. They are not taking money from the state, they don't have bodyguards, etc. I am sure that there are other people who know someone who knows someone who works in the government and they too got a parking perk and no one reported on it. And the fact is because Princess Margriet is still in the Royal House and who they are (as evidenced by the pictures of Marliene shopping and sweeping her stairs and there participation at family events) they are not regular folks and will not fade away anytime soon. PLUS, I have a feeling 20 to 30 years from now, someone will be looking at a picture of Alexia and Lucas not knowing who he is.
You absolutely have a point but you have to take into account that this is coming at a time in the Netherlands when the long-suffering, average Dutch person, who, mind you, has been paying THROUGH THE NOSE in taxes for as long as I've been on this planet to help sustain their classless society, is discovering their society is perhaps not so classless after all.

What with the very very very light court verdict last week (or was it this week? time flies) of the former CEO of Ahold, who was as it turns out, responsible for cooking that company's books.

Ahold, a Dutch-spawned chain of super markets with stores and brands all over the planet, was, until recently, one of those achievements the Dutch were collectively proud of, and rightly so. Until it turned out the company's honcho's , in concert with their accounting firm, had actually pulled an ENRON!

Worse, turns out now that the CEO who is responsible for this, is getting away with it: the judge let him of lightly, he's not even going to jail.

For those of you I'm boring to tears with this tale, do keep in mind the AHOLD verdict is coinciding with the Vollenhoven parking-'gate'. A minor blip the Vollenhoven parking permit revelation may be, it is coming at a time when the Dutch are still paying up the ying yang in taxes while all kinds of privileges and subsidies they once had in their community-oriented society, are being taken away from them as we speak.

This parking permit story is for many people there the latest confirmation that there's an elite in the Netherlands that has privileges the rest doesn't have, while doing nothing for society, and the average joe there has to subsist on an average salary AND pay for it all.

You should see the hundreds of comments to this story on the site of one of the largest papers in the nation, the Algemeen Dagblad. Boy I always thought the Dutch were mad in their lenience towards their royal family (including myself as I have a weird medieval respect for my queen Beatrix), but if that family doesn't watch it, the tide may well turn.

Last edited:
PrincessOlga,
I thought that the Queen was a billionaire in her own right. Why is she taking money from the government if she has all of this personal money?

I really like these girls. I adored Aimee on her wedding day, I thought she seemed so sweet! Anita seems to be very sweet too.

Like others have said, I wish they were photographed more often!

Tenngirl

Princess Olga...you make very valid points. And your post illustrates what makes this forum so informative. I had no idea about the Ahold scandal or the fact that many Dutch thought that they lived in a classless society. We ALL live in class based society.

princess olga said:
You absolutely have a point but you have to take into account that this is coming at a time in the Netherlands when the long-suffering, average Dutch person, who, mind you, has been paying THROUGH THE NOSE in taxes for as long as I've been on this planet to help sustain their classless society, is discovering their society is perhaps not so classless after all.
By virtue of the fact that a monarchy exists implies some class level in the Netherlands. The Netherlands is not a republic, has a queen whose eldest son will succeed her, followed by his eldest daughter and so forth, so not everyone is equal in the Netherlands since not everyone will be Queen or King one day.

But if you say that 1% of the population is of a higher class than the 99% that is one thing. And I would say that the van Vollenhoven family would be part of that 1% along with the Queen's sons and their families and the wealthiest of Dutch citizens -- of which there are bound to be some since I highly doubt that everyone, regardless of their job or position within their company, makes the same salary.

I think that a classless society doesn't really exist. There can be societies where the classes are not as differentiated but a true classless society, especially one headed (even symbolically) by a monarchy doesn't exist.

I don't have a problem with the van Vollenhoven sons and their wives having special parking permits. When they attend special occasions -- which is rare but they still do -- such as Pieter-Christiaan attending a memorial service with his father, or the events Maurits periodically attended with his grandfather Bernhard, or the opening of the van Vollenhoven brides exhibit Margriet, Pieter and all four of their daughter-in-laws or Queen's Day, my understanding is that they are not compensated financially for these occasions which take them away from their actual jobs for a day or a few hours of a day.

And considering that they don't have any personal protection and the two eldest van Vollenhoven sons and their young families especially are frequently photographed -- last year Marilene famously so nursing her infant daughter -- by less savoury photographers, I would say that it's a fair trade off. I never see as many pictures of Willem and Maxima with their daughters out and about in the park as I see of Maurits, Marilene, Bernhard Jr. and Annette with their young brood. As the Crown Princely couple Willem and Maxima are able to set certain parameters with the press, including with holding access from certain publications who photograph them privately, which the van Vollenhovens didn't do for years until very recently.

The family also shares the private moments of their lives that they aren't expected to not being part of the royal family officially, such as pictures from their weddings and baptisms of their children. Like it or not, they are public figures and do belong in the least to the Queen's family and both of their parents have devoted their lives to representing the Netherlands at home and abroad -- and quite well, too. I think that some perks and privileges not normally bestowed to the typical Dutch person is warranted in this case.

Back
Top Bottom