The Ducal House of Cadaval

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Russophile

Heir Apparent
City
Portland
Country
United States
96px-Armas_duques_cadaval.png

Arms of the Dukes of Cadaval

° ° °

Does Diana inherit the Duchy that she's Duchess of?? Sort of like Eleanor of Aquitane?​

Last edited by a moderator:
Does she inherit the Duchy that she's Duchess of?? Sort of like Eleanor of Aquitane?

1b) Jaime Alvares Pereira de Melo, Duque de Cadaval (San Sebastian 21 Jan 1913-Estoril 31 Jul 2001); m.1st London 29 May 1936 (div) Antoinette Louise Schweisguth (Epinal 6 Aug 1899-Paris 22 Nov 1982); m.2d Lausanne 3 Feb 1965 Claudine Tritz (b.Guistreham 4 Aug 1943); since the death of the Duque the succession to his titles was in dispute among his daughters; one reported said that the Duke of Braganza awarded the title to the third daughter; a subsequent report said that he recognized the eldest daughter

from pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff

Oooh. That could get messy. . . .:ohmy:

tell me about it, he has two elder daughter from 1st marriage and Diana and another from 2nd. And those two elder daughters has 1 daughter each so alot of women and no men.

Apparently Dom Duarte doesn´t recognise marriages done by the Portuguese state but only those that are done in church, hence he supports the claim of Diana instead of that of Duchess Rosalinda de Cadaval.

Diane has featured in several Point de Vue issues the last months, she seems to love publicity as much as her husband-to-be does. I believe he previously dated Countess Elisabeth d´Udekem d´Acoz, sister of Crownprincess Mathilde, who is now Marchesa Pallavicini.

really...I was wondering about why there was a dispute over who was head of household. thanks for clearing that up.

Well, I asked a Portuguese friend of mine and he said that she/the family isn´t that wealthy according to him. Most of what she owns is tied up in real estate and art. She has one or two estates I believe, she was recently photographed by Point de Vue with her mother at one of these estates. Her sister Rosalinda is the weathly one, as she married a Hermes. The latter is now sometimes referred to as Duchess od Cadaval-Hermes, rather odd combination.

Duchess de Cadaval-Hermes??! Wow...how is THAT for creating ill will between the two? I guess we can safely say that Rosalinda will not be among the happy wedding guests next June!

So which one of the Alvares Pereira de Melo sister is a Duchess de Cadaval?

1b) Jaime Alvares Pereira de Melo, Duque de Cadaval (San Sebastian 21 Jan 1913-Estoril 31 Jul 2001); m.1st London 29 May 1936 (div) Antoinette Louise Schweisguth (Epinal 6 Aug 1899-Paris 22 Nov 1982); m.2d Lausanne 3 Feb 1965 Claudine Tritz (b.Guistreham 4 Aug 1943); since the death of the Duque the succession to his titles was in dispute among his daughters; one reported said that the Duke of Braganza awarded the title to the third daughter; a subsequent report said that he recognized the eldest daughter

from pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff

diana is, although the title is in dispute

Apparently Dom Duarte doesn´t recognise marriages done by the Portuguese state but only those that are done in church, hence he supports the claim of Diana instead of that of Duchess Rosalinda de Cadaval.
Diana is the eldest daughter of the late Duke of Cadaval with his second wife Claudine Fritz, although Rosalinda (married to Hubert Guerrand-Hermès, the heir of the House Hermès) is actually the eldest daughter of D. Jaime, but born from his first marriage (which was not religious, but a civil wedding).

There was a dispute on the succession to the title, since it was Diana (born from the Catholic marriage) and not Rosalinda (born from the first marriage) to inherit the title. At the time, the Duke of Bragança had to decide on who would inherit the Duchy of Cadaval (since Portugal no longer has noble titles, they're not a matter decided in courts and all things related to it are decided by an entity named Conselho da Nobreza, which has its highest figure in the Duke of Bragança). The final decision was based on D. Jaime's wish, since he made it clear he wanted Diana to inherit the title.

I'm not sure about the details of the agreement that was reached between the parts, but, from what I read in the press, the Duke of Bragança considered a kind of "salomonic" sentence, dividing the various titles of D. Jaime (Duke of Cadaval, Marquis of Ferreira, Count of Tentúgal) among his 4 children.

Diana Mariana Vitória Álvares Pereira de Melo is the 11th Duchess of Cadaval. She was born in Genève, in 1978, as the first daughter of D. Jaime Álvares Pereira de Melo (the 10th Duke of Cadaval) with his second wife, Claudine Marguerite Marianne Tritz. She belongs to the second most traditional family in Portugal (which is a colateral branch of the Dukes of Bragança).

Here's the family's estate:
Palácio Duques de Cadaval

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining Elsa. I understand Dom Duarte´s final say a bit better now, as he was just following the will of the late Duke.

Was Diana´s father estranged from his two eldest daughters? Did the second wife influence her husband to denounce his first two children maybe?

Was Diana´s father estranged from his two eldest daughters? Did the second wife influence her husband to denounce his first two children maybe?
I believe his wife took an important role there(Duchess Claudine is a very strong woman)... and yes, Rosalinda was not happy at all with the decision, I can say that.

Last February, after the couple appeared together on "Point de Vue" for the first time, the magazine published a letter from the lawyer of D.ª Rosalinda, where she expressed her annoyance for the treatment given to her sister as "Duchess of Cadaval", assuring that she (D.ª Rosalinda) was actually the 11th Duchess of Cadaval, 13th Marquesss of Ferreira and 23th Countess of Tentúgal (titles she claimed then were given to her by the Duke of Bragança).

Afterwards, the magazine asked D. Duarte for a clarification and he explained that D. Jaime wanted Diana to inherit the Duchy, so he promoted a family meeting, at the end of which D. Duarte decided to execute D. Jaime’s will: Diana received the title of Duchess of Cadaval; Rosalinda was named Marquess of Ferreira and Countess of Tentúgal in addition to the courtesy-title of Duchess of Cadaval-Guerrand-Hermès.

D. Duarte also explained that the Duchy of Cadaval is not a title of automatic succession, so, once Diana passes away, it will be the head of the Royal House (probably Prince D. Afonso) deciding who will succeed to D.ª Diana: her child or any other member of the family.

Last edited:
Here some pictures of Dona Rosalinda (who likes who be called as Rosaline), with her husband Hubert Guerrand-Hermès, in their house of Paris (1989)

With their daughter, Olímpia

(Pics were scanned by me from OLÁ Semanário Magazine)

Thank you for the pix i had wondered how she looked like.
After the wedding we can expect in Point de Vue some news from her (unless of course Carla Sarkosy has a little cold, they would be o bliged to put her on the cover then instead !)

How is Duchess Diane related to the Portugese Royal family?

How is Duchess Diane related to the Portugese Royal family?
Diana belongs to a colateral branch of the House of Bragança, descending from D. Nuno Álvares Pereira de Melo (1638-1725), who was the closest male relative to King D. João IV, and therefore the second most important person in the kingdom.
Nuno Álvares Pereira recieved the Duchy of Cadaval in 1648.

The Cadaval coat of arms in post #1 incorporate the blue and white motif of the Kings of Portugal which denotes royal descent.

Last edited:
I was wondering, why is the succession in this duchy not automatic? Is that only in this case as the succession is not clear or was that always the case? And if Diane clings onto Dom Duarte's decision, why doesn't she respect it that her elder sister got the other titles (it seems Diane uses them too). She stole the most prominent title so she might just as well leave something to her elder sister.

I don't envy the Duke of Braganca in this matter though, whatever decision he took or takes it will never be satisfying for all parties involved.

Last edited:
I was wondering, why is the succession in this duchy not automatic? Is that only in this case as the succession is not clear or was that always the case?
As far as I can understand, the succesion to this duchy has always been decided by the head of the royal house.

And if Diane clings onto Dom Duarte's decision, why doesn't she respect it that her elder sister got the other titles (it seems Diane uses them too). She stole the most prominent title so shemight just as well leave something to her elder sister.
Is she?
Well, at least on her official website, she's only styled as Duchess of Cadaval... she's not holding the other titles styled by her father:

http://casacadaval.com/_wsn/page2.html

Well, at least on her official website, she's only styled as Duchess of Cadaval... she's not holding the other titles styled by her father:

Duques de Cadaval

We don't know if Diane left the other titles to Rosalinda or not, but I doubt if she did. All this issue about the titles must have affected their relationship very much (I don't even know if they ever had a normal relationship as sisters). I guess they have a cold relationship, and I am not sure if Rosalinda will be present on Diana's wedding... It's not an easy situation for both.

I suppose the coldness shifts to another generationa s probably the coldness started earlier between Rosalinda and the mother of Diana. The Duke couldn't have been on good terms with his 2 eldest daughters considering what he did to them.

On another note, above I read that it is customary for the DUke of Braganca to decide about succession in the house of Cadaval. I suppose it happened before, but did the advice of the Duke or King go against the normal rules of succession or was it more a cosmetical thing. In other words, did the Kings/DUkes always give the title to the eldest son or were there iregularities before, as there are now?

On another note, above I read that it is customary for the DUke of Braganca to decide about succession in the house of Cadaval. I suppose it happened before, but did the advice of the Duke or King go against the normal rules of succession or was it more a cosmetical thing. In other words, did the Kings/DUkes always give the title to the eldest son or were there iregularities before, as there are now?
Here's the list of all the Dukes of Cadaval:
GeneAll.net - Duques de Cadaval

As we can see in that link, there have been exceptions, although I understand those are due to the death of the elder sons, prior to the succesion.

Actually most of the portuguese nobility did not agree with Dom Duartes decision. I personally know many aristocrats who were in court by Rosalinda's side.

The first marriage of the Duque de Cadaval was religious, celebrated in a private chapel.
Later, after the marriage fell apart, Dom Jaime asked the annulment to the Catholica Church affirming that the wedding was not valid so he could marry his second wife.

Most people believe that his second wife only married him for his money and his name, after all before the wedding she worked as a manicure and she was way too young for him...

Welcome, maria_pia_navarro! :flowers:

Actually most of the portuguese nobility did not agree with Dom Duartes decision. I personally know many aristocrats who were in court by Rosalinda's side.

I agree.
Obviously the Duke of Cadaval was free to get married, to get divorce and then get married again... but her eldest daughter shouldnt be "punished" by his romantic decisions. I think Dom Duarte's decision was due to his friendship with the Duke's second wife. I might be wrong probably I am but I heard that Dona Isabel de Herédia is Diane de Cadaval's Godmother. If this is true, then we already know why D. Duarte took that decision.

Most people believe that his second wife only married him for his money and his name, after all before the wedding she worked as a manicure and she was way too young for him...

I didn't know she was a manicure. I know she was a model, I saw some pics of when she was a young model on the portuguese Máxima magazine.

I didn't know they were so close:eek: that's why Dom Duarte made his decision so fast.
I have nothing against Claudine and her daughters but personally I think what happened to Rosalinda is really unfair.

Anyone knows the details of Dom Duartes decision? I've heard that Diana will be Duquesa de Cadaval but when she dies the title will pass to Rosalinda or to Rosalinda's children.

D. Jaime has a son too. The Duke of Cadaval had a relationship with Rosemary Wright. They had a son in 1946, named D. Jaime Pereira de Melo. In 1993, he married Elisabethle Ehrlich and they have 3 children.

I don´t like Diana of Cadaval and her boyfriend. :eek: I think they like too much publicity, I don´t understand why he has a website. He is not a crown prince, he is just a secondary member in a royal house lost its trone 160 years ago. He is like his mother, Beatrice Pasquier, she likes publicity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom