Queen Fabiola Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did not know was arranged. And so successful !!!. I do not particularly like wedding dress but i love this tiara.

The 9-provinces tiara looks like a lego tiara, which it is. You can somehow see that it wasn't originally designed that way, those arcs around the large diamonds somehow don't agree with the more delicate menader pattern of the base. But the late Queen Fabiola always wore the tiara with panache.

I think the Mathilde continues the tradition of this tiara worthily.

While reading discussion on glittering board about Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara,Arthur pointed out that 2 tiaras could be made of one whole Spanish tiara.

Frame version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/2f/a4/e12fa49b21fa9972d79d7b26291393e5.jpg

Leaves version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a3/72/84/a37284c6d4def6b5debae31ed15cb26b.jpg

He suggested that,for example,aquamarines from the necklace in the second picture could be topped on the frame where the leaves were previously standing.

What do you think of the idea?

We will have to wait a little bit longer to see who inherited this Medinaceli Spanish tiara.

While reading discussion on glittering board about Queen Fabiola's Spanish tiara,Arthur pointed out that 2 tiaras could be made of one whole Spanish tiara.

Frame version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e1/2f/a4/e12fa49b21fa9972d79d7b26291393e5.jpg

Leaves version: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a3/72/84/a37284c6d4def6b5debae31ed15cb26b.jpg

He suggested that,for example,aquamarines from the necklace in the second picture could be topped on the frame where the leaves were previously standing.

What do you think of the idea?

We will have to wait a little bit longer to see who inherited this Medinaceli Spanish tiara.

It was always known that the Wedding Gift Diadem came with two bases, as María del Carmen Polo y Martínez-Valdés, Señora de Meirás, presented these -in public- to Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón. See picture.

The idea of only the base is charming and is definitely worth a try. Imgagine this diadem without the fleurons: see picture.

I think the rumour about the "fake" diadem is just a canard. It has been known that the central stones were not of the most valuable materials. The green stones are not emeralds. The red stones are not rubies. The lightblue stones are real aquamarines. The rest of the diadem seems very real to me anyway. At this XL-picture you see the fleurons added to a necklace. I have no reason to believe that the diamonds are just glass beads.

It was always known that the Wedding Gift Diadem came with two bases, as María del Carmen Polo y Martínez-Valdés, Señora de Meirás, presented these -in public- to Doña Fabiola de Mora y Aragón. See picture.

The idea of only the base is charming and is definitely worth a try. Imgagine this diadem without the fleurons: see picture.

I think the rumour about the "fake" diadem is just a canard. It has been known that the central stones were not of the most valuable materials. The green stones are not emeralds. The red stones are not rubies. The lightblue stones are real aquamarines. The rest of the diadem seems very real to me anyway. At this XL-picture you see the fleurons added to a necklace. I have no reason to believe that the diamonds are just glass beads.

Can't see your last xl picture.

There were rumors that after Belgian court jeweler discovered that green and red stones were not real that they have been replaced with the real ones.

I just can't imagine the Queen wearing that kind of grand jewels that are fake.

Can't see your last xl picture.

There were rumors that after Belgian court jeweler discovered that green and red stones were not real that they have been replaced with the real ones.

I just can't imagine the Queen wearing that kind of grand jewels that are fake.

They were replaced but not with emeralds and rubies. The red paste stones were replaced by red gemstones. The green paste stones were replaced by green gemstones. Real emeralds and rubies in the size of the central stones would exceed the value of the diamonds (just little diamonds of average quality to be set en pavé to fill the montures and the fleurons).

Just the aquamarines are real stones.
She received from Mrs Franco two bases .
Why did she never wear the coronet base on its own ???

Just the aquamarines are real stones.
She received from Mrs Franco two bases .
Why did she never wear the coronet base on its own ???

All stones are real, since the replacement of the fake centre stones:
- the diamonds which are used voor the pavé setting of the monture and the fleurons
- the lightblue gemstones (aquamarines)
- the red gemstones (grenats, I think)
- the green gemstones (péridots, I think)

Grenats are not rubies. Péridots are not emeralds. That is true but they are not fake. It is fake when a stone pretends to be something. But what you see is what you get. You see sparkling red grenats. And you see sparkling green péridots. It is not a fake glass bead with a green or red aluminium foil behind it.

:flowers:

Despite the not so great value of the Spanish Wedding Diadem (in comparison with diadems containing big carat diamonds, rare gemstones or natural Pearls), it still is a very, very beautiful design. It is spectacular in both the flower wreath as well the coronet versions. The versality is amazing.

Last edited:
The green stones in the tiara always appeared a rather deep, dark green, while peridots are usually much, much lighter. Besides, large peridots are very rare and really expensive. I doubt that peridots of that size would be much cheaper than emeralds.

Garnets (grenats in French) are indeed more affordable than rubies. Especially large rubies are very rare and more expensive than large sapphires or emeralds. But mostly they have a much darker colour than rubies. The best quality are blood garnets which have the rich red colour of blood, but they again are rare and also expensive.

I wonder, Duc, did you read somewhere that the fake stones were replaced with semi-precious stones, or is this your assumption based on the circumstances?

I agree 100 % with Tilia.

I am just coming from Lanzarote , I bought a ring with a olivine/peridot stone which is light green.

Last edited:
I remember reading something like that on the RJoW MB but I do not remember when, by whom and if the info. was based on anything. I believe the story was that when Franco found out that some stones were made of glass, they were quietly replaced by other ones.

I wonder when it was the last time that Fabiola wore the green or the red stones with the tiara. The last 2 decades I believe she only wore them with aquamarines IIRC.

I wonder why they never replaced the coloured stones with some pearls. They should have some of those lying around or it should be easy enough to acquire a few. That makes the tiara even more versatile than it already is.

Last edited:
Why did they spoke twice on RTL that the spanish tiara was a fake so many years later?
Patrick Weber was interviewed. He said "si c'était su celà s'est tu". Il it was kown, it remain silent.

The story is that the Spanish Wedding Gift was once given to a Convent (to adorn a Madonna or something). It seems the Sisters sold the centrestones to raise money for charitative works and replaced these with fake stones.

When it was found out the centrestones were fake, the Spanish Government (Franco) ordered the fake ones to be replaced. Most likely these were replaced by red grenats and certain green gemstones (péridots can have a deep green too, especially in a darker setting, but of course there are more green gemstones). It is unlikely that the Spanish Government could find a number of same-coloured, same-sized and same quality rubies and emeralds. That would have cost a fortune.

But my point was about the "fake". Stones as grenats and péridots are red and green. Yes. They are no rubies and emeralds. No. However this does not classify as "fake". What we see is what it is: red and green gemstones indeed.

:)

Last edited:
I wonder why they never replaced the coloured stones with some pearls. They should have some of those lying around or it should be easy enough to acquire a few. That makes the tiara even more versatile than it already is.

But you would need quiet big pearls. Don't think they have so many of them lying around. I wonder why Fabiola newver wore only the base of the coronet alone. it would also make a nice small tiara.

Thank you Maria Olivia,did they pass to Queen Mathilde following the death of dowager queen Fabiola?
Until now they haven't been worn by Queen Mathilde so their whereabouts is not known.
Queen Fabiola had at last 5 drope shaped aquamarine's with she also sometimes wore on a simple diamond chain.

The State Visit to the Netherlands, coming week, is the best possibility for Queen Mathilde to pack out with her jewels. The "problem" is that the Diadem of the Nine Provinces is her very best diadem.

In size the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem is bigger but it is lesser in carat power and most likely also in quality, in comparison with the Nine Provinces.

Maybe Queen Mathilde will wear some aquamarines (King Baudouin's gift) or some diamond fleurons (from the Spanish Wedding Gift) on the second evening, the music gala in the Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ in Amsterdam.

Until now they haven't been worn by Queen Mathilde so their whereabouts is not known.
Queen Fabiola had at last 5 drope shaped aquamarine's with she also sometimes wore on a simple diamond chain.

Lets hope they reappear in the near future as it would be a shame if they were sold off .

The Antwerp diamond brooch also belonged to the late queen dowager,hopefully it to is still with the Belgian royal family.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/81/3e/f7813e06a679d21bf65e5a02ff358a34.jpg

Last edited:
To me the Wolfers tiara was a Belgian Present and went to the Belgian Queen.
For the Spanish tiara ans the aquamarines, the Queen had other Nieces she loved very much, wait and see..

To me the Wolfers tiara was a Belgian Present and went to the Belgian Queen.
For the Spanish tiara ans the aquamarines, the Queen had other Nieces she loved very much, wait and see..
But she got the spanish tiara because whom she married: The King of the Belgians. And what use would her spanish nephews and nieces have with such a big tiara. They would probably sell it. Better to give them smaller items like bracelets, earrings etc. if she wanted to give them Jewellry.

Last edited:
I really hope we see the Spanish tiara next week on the State Visit and that its ownership is still with the Belgian Royal family.

It's beautiful in the so called smaller. The leafs are large enough, without the extra base, to make it an impressive tiara. The large version the leaves look like odd points on tips. The smaller version is a more cohesive look. Similar to a floral tiara.

Its my personal favourite Belgian tiara and I really hope its still with the royal family.

It so perfectly suited the late queen Fabiola who oozed regality but I hated it worn as a necklace.

As far as I remember Fabiola received two frames from Mrs Franco.
She wore the coronet at the beginning and stops wearing the other base for always.
Where is the Coronet base ?
Who find our the red stones were fake stones , the belgian Court jeweler of that time?

Back
Top Bottom