Princess Ragnhild and Princess Astrid of Norway Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Astrid wearing her diamond aigrette tonight:
Astrid

Still the ruby one.

Poor Astrid, to have three family orders to find a place for on one dress!

Those aigrettes are stupid looking. I can't believe no one has told her how ridiculous she looks over the years.

Those aigrettes are stupid looking. I can't believe no one has told her how ridiculous she looks over the years.

Not only is that rather rude to a 90 year-old, Princess Astrid is well aware of how kooky some of her jewelry is (you should see the "Burger King" tiara). It just happens to suit her personality rather well. She has said she can pick up radio waves with her aigrettes.

I imagine if Ingrid were to get them, which she won't, she would make them look rather impressive.

Not only is that rather rude to a 90 year-old, Princess Astrid is well aware of how kooky some of her jewelry is (you should see the "Burger King" tiara). It just happens to suit her personality rather well. She has said she can pick up radio waves with her aigrettes.

I imagine if Ingrid were to get them, which she won't, she would make them look rather impressive.

I can't imagine them looking good on anyone, they look like giant insects and would look like that perched on Ingrid's head too. It would be better if their next owner wore them as brooches.

Those ruby atennae would look best if bent back each side, but that may not be possible, and as pointed out, probably the princess likes the kookiness of them. Or it. Whatever. They look like very nice rubies though.

Are there any photos of Queen Maud or CPss Martha with this piece?

They would actually make a pretty pair of earrings and brooch, though I certainly hope Astrid will continue wearing it as it is. It suits her personality and somehow it always brings up a smile to see her with it.

Princess Astrid has said to Trond Noren Isaksen that it is the turqouise tiara/parue and the Vasa tiara that will return to the NRF after her death, and her smaler tiaras are for her children.

They are a bit quirky, but very historic. Especially the bracelet tiara after Queen Sofia is a pitty that will leave the NRF,
https://www.tiara-mania.com/2022/01/queen-sophia-sweden-diamond-bracelet-tiara.html
It would be a very suitable smal tiara for a young Princess, or a major bracelt which the NRF dont have to many of.

CP Märtha has not been photographed with the agriettes, I dont think she ever wore any of Queen Mauds jewels.
I agree this tiara would make a pretty pair of earrings and a smal brooch.

Its good to see Astrid out of he wheel chair, she looked very frail and unwell in Princess Ingrids birthday, and looks to have recovered well. Her other jewles are very pretty.

Last edited:
It is great -and sensible- that the RF will receive the main pieces back (in the hopefully distant future). The main line will have a big tiara collection with the return of 4 medium sized/ large tiaras. Esp. as again in the (hopefully distant) future there will probably only two women who will use these jewelson a regular basis. But that is not out of the ordinary for other RFs either, as more and more try to change the focus to the main players only while the rest is expected to build a life outside of the royal world.

Thank you for reminding us about the lovely bracelet-tiara. It seems more substantial and has certainly more history than the tiara of the crown princess. But it has a simular 'vibe'. A pity that it will leave the main line but it is natural that the princess will want to give something to her children as well.

I echo your words: it is good to see the princess out of the wheelchair and doing better. I think she has grown into everybody's favourite royal (great) aunt.

A combination of being the oldest NRFer probably ever and having a continued work ethic and her direct family's intense sense of humor will make you very popular indeed. I'm glad Auntie Astrid is rolling along even when she's walking.

I love Maud's turquoise circlet and am happy it's not going anywhere, and I hope it will look as nice on MM/IA as it does on the current owner.

Who doesn't love auntie Astrid? :D BTW I really hope there'll be a documentary about the RF's jewelry just like what the Swedes did, Astrid definitely has many memories and stories to share.

The Aigrette is interesting piece. It's odd and I can't imagine someone else wearing it, but it always look perfect with Astrid. And I agree it could be modified into a lovely brooch or earrings like Marengo suggested.

I always hope Astrid will leave the bracelet-tiara to the mainline as I think it would look lovely on younger princess both as a bandeau or bracelet, but totally sensible if she does pass this family heirloom to her own children at the end.

Also wondering will she pass the gold bandeau to the mainline or her children. It's the most historical piece she owns I believe? on the other hand it's always the most "difficult" piece she owns.

They will have a pretty rich tiara collection in future considering that NRF is always relatively small compared to other RFs.

They’re actually quite pretty up close. This particular one has a beautiful rose flower with a Ruby center coming from the base and the two “antennae” as some call them, are actually rose buds sprouting up from the main flower. It’s a very pretty floral motif Aigrette. And the only thing unfortunate about Aigrettes is that they’re not appreciated enough in this period in time. Their style was at its peak in the 19th century when royal ladies decorated themselves for fancy dress balls and lavish galas; trying to emulate the magnificent plumes of the egret.

These bejeweled hair ornaments are light and precious, and just the right parts of simplicity and extravagance. They were less formal than a tiara but the feathers gave it an air of sophistication. Bold without being ostentatious, these hair ornaments were for nobility and commoners alike. The jewel did not discriminate and they looked good on everyone.

It’s a shame they aren’t worn in their full glory today but alas that is the era which we find ourselves in. I’m just glad Astrid has the confidence and good sense to wear hers, even simply, when others are so obviously over the top. Bravo to Princess Astrid! [emoji1319]

Is it known when Astrid inherited the aigrettes? When her mother died she was still a very young woman, and I don't think I've seen many, if any, pictures of her wearing them when she was younger, or as First Lady, for example.

If that's so, then combined with them being lightweight and easier to wear, they would seem to be something you just need to get to a certain point in life in order to say "Why not", decide to have fun and use.

Is it known when Astrid inherited the aigrettes? When her mother died she was still a very young woman, and I don't think I've seen many, if any, pictures of her wearing them when she was younger, or as First Lady, for example.

If that's so, then combined with them being lightweight and easier to wear, they would seem to be something you just need to get to a certain point in life in order to say "Why not", decide to have fun and use.

The Aigrette was first owned by Queen Maud, and Crown Princess Martha inherited it from her mother-in-law in 1938 but Queen Maud died while in the United Kingdom and the tiara was put into storage in Windsor Castle and was not retrieved until 1953. Princess Astrid of Norway then inherited it from her mother in 1954.

Apparently the base of the Aigrette is the same but the Ruby floral motif and the Diamond wings can be interchanged. So it’s not two Aigrettes but only one.

Not Margaretha , Martha and Astrid of Sweden wore a tiara on her Wedding Day .

Not Margaretha , Martha and Astrid of Sweden wore a tiara on her Wedding Day .
None of the Bernadotte brides of that generation wore tiaras. Margaretha, Märtha, Astrid (at her Swedish wedding), Ingrid and Sibylla all wore myrtle crowns or wreaths with their veils and divorcee Elsa von Rosen wore a hat when she married Carl.

I don't know how Astrid fastened her veil at her Belgian wedding?

Would be cool if Astrid loaned the vasa tiara to Mette-Marit.

https://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/1680108150.html

Glenn on Royal Jewels of the World Message Board mentioned that Astrid has a ruby pendant looks same as one of the brooch QM had worn as well as the central element of QM's County of Cornwall ruby bracelet.

Quite interesting, while rose is a popular feature of many royal jewelry, these two are exactly same, two layers of five petals and a leaf between each outer petals (Tudor rose), yellow gold, a ruby as the pistil, and a ruby on each outer petals. Maybe Mary had gifted it to her sister-in-law Maud and it's ends up inherited by Astrid?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom