King Alfonso XIII's Sons and Daughters

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

igilmo

Commoner
City
Alicante
Country
Spain
I think it would be interesting to have a thread -I don't know if that has been done yet- about the sons and daughters of King Alfonso XIII. I guess there is few info about them, specially concerning their marriages and descendancy. I believe this would help us to know more about our spanish royal family and to understand "the importance" of people like Alessandro Lecquio in Spain.
I would appreciate if you could post in this thread any info and photos you have regarding this topic.
Thank you a lot and congratulations on the work you are doing in the forums

Prince Alfonso of Asturias

The eldest son of King Alfonso XIII and Queen Ena of Spain was Alfonso, named after his father. His birth was followed by huge celebrations as he was to be the heir of the Spanish Crown. Nevertheless, soon after, it was discovered that he was hemophilic and thus, he spent the majority of time in bed as his health was very weak. A light injury meant for him lots of time to recover from. It is said that, when King Alfonso XIII discovered his heir suffered from hemophilia he started to avoid Queen Ena as he blamed her for the illness of their son. This is in part true... we know women carry hemophilia but men suffer from it but King Alfonso XIII knew Ena was a potential carrier of the mentioned illness, so the "separation" from his wife is not, at all, coherent and logic.

The only surviving son of King Alfonso XIII is Leandro de Borbón Ruiz, bastard son of the King and an actress named Carmen Ruiz Moragas. He wrote a best seller book several years ago, and was recognized by the law as son of his father. There was no need of a DNA proof, because the King himself aknowlegded him as his son, helped him financially and took care of his education. Also, he looks like a true Borbón. He has some sons and daughters, with whom he seems not to have a good relationship, and lately some of them have been on the television speaking about their family matters.

I believe Alfonso XIII had 4 sons. Two were hemophiliacs, Alfonso and Gonzalo. Another, Jaime had another disability and his rights to the crown were surrendered on his behalf. That only left Don Juan, the father of King Juan Carlos.

I didn't realize the Spanish royals have hemofilia (sp?) in their genes. Does that mean that it could be passed on still to other generations, perhaps even Felipe's newborn?

princess olga said:
I didn't realize the Spanish royals have hemofilia (sp?) in their genes. Does that mean that it could be passed on still to other generations, perhaps even Felipe's newborn?

The haemophilia is a disease that the men suffer generally, but the women carry it, therefore there would no be possibility that the son of the Princes was suffering it.
As for what comentaris of the children of Alfonso XIII, Jaime had to resign the rights the throne because he was deaf.

princess olga said:

The hemofilia in the SRF seems to have disappeared even in the daughters of King Alfonso XIII, since his daughters seem not to have had any sons suffering from it and their daughters do not seem to have transmitted it to their own sons and daughters.

http://es.news.yahoo.com/050814/4/47tan.html

The illegitimate son of king Alfonso XIII, Infante Leandro Alfonso de Borbón, stressed today, in Ciudad Real, that he would like the son of the Princes of Asturias to be named Pelayo and "to recover the unit of Spain, which now is likely to be broken". Leandro de Borbón, who, just two years ago, was recognized as biological son of Alfonso XIII, visited today Ciudad Real to attend the Fairs and Celebrations in honour of the Virgin del Prado, as well as to promote his book "From bastard to infant of Spain" or "The royal bastard".

Maybe this can help. (I hope so) ;)

The royal couple had seven children:

-Alfonso Pío Cristino Eduardo (1907-1938) was born with haemophilia and renounced his rights to the throne in 1936 to marry with a plebeian. He was named Count of Covadonga.

-Jaime Leopoldo Isabelino Enrique (1908-1975), who was deaf and dumb as consequence of an operation in his childhood, he also renounced his rights to the throne in 1933. He was named Duke of Segovia and later Duke of Madrid, and he was a candidate to get the throne of France from 1941 to 1975. He was known as Duke of Anjou.

-Beatriz Isabel Federica Alfonsa Eugenia (1909-2002)

-A child who was born dead (1910)

-Maria Cristina Teresa Alejandra (1911-1996)

-Juan Carlos Teresa Silvestre Alfonso (1913-1993) was named inheritor of the throne and Count of Barcelona.

-Gonzalo Manuel Maria Bernardo (1914-1934), was born with haemophilia.

The king had also three children born out of his marriage:

-Roger Lévesque de Vilmorin (1905-1980). His mother was the French aristocrat Melanie de Gaufridy de Dortan.

-Leandro Alfonso Ruiz Moragas (he was born in 1929). He was recognized officially by the Spanish court on May 21, 2003 as Leandro Alfonso de Borbón Ruiz, son of the king.

-His sister Ana Maria Teresa Ruiz Moragas. The mother of both Leandro and Ana was the Spanish actress Carmen Ruiz Moragas.

http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/articulos.asp?idarticulo=36302

Leandro de Borbón: "the son of the Princes must be called Pelayo"
pixeltransp.gif

The son ilegítimo of Alfonso XIII, in a visit to Real City, commented which it would like that it was the paper of the first son of Don Felipe and Doña Letizia, and of step it promoted his books.

14 of August of 2005. The Leandro infant Alfonso de Borbón, whom two years ago recognized like biological son of the monarch Alfonso XIII, thinks that the unit of Spain is in danger and sees the new real sprout like a great solution.

He affirms that it would like that the son that waits for the princes called Pelayo and that with him the recovery of the unit of Spain could "be initiated, that now seems is wanted to break".

In a visit to promote the acts of the fairs and celebrations in honor to the Virgin of the Prado, that today begin in Real City, it has taken advantage of to promote its books the real bastard (2002) and Of bastard to infant of Spain (2004).

Leandro de Borbón was sorry that this city is one of the few capitals that a street or an avenue with the name of its father does not tell on, offering itself to inaugurate the corresponding arrived plate the case.

could anybody post any photos of the children of King Alfonso XIII? That would be fantastic. Can you post any photos of their weddings? Thanks a lot.

isabella_ said:
Maybe this can help. (I hope so)
Wow!! Imagine the great amount of sons and daughters King Alfonso XIII had!! As for the legitimate ones goes, it may be worth saying the great effort Queen Ena made... she gave birth to almost one child per year and still managed to look beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the question of haemophilia, the late great Spanish Historian Juan Balansó, hinted in one of his books, (I`m sorry I don't remember which of them as I am relying on my memory) that one of Infanta Beatriz's grandsons could have died from haemophilia on an early age. He was referring to Paul Alexandre Weiler, who died aged five in 1975. He was the son of Olimpia de Torlonia and Paul Annik Weiler.

Does anyone have more information about that and what other could have been the causes of the death of that five year old kid?

Marcus said:
About the question of haemophilia, the late great Spanish Historian Juan Balansó, hinted in one of his books, (I`m sorry I don't remember which of them as I am relying on my memory) that one of Infanta Beatriz's grandsons could have died from haemophilia on an early age. He was referring to Paul Alexandre Weiler, who died aged five in 1975. He was the son of Olimpia de Torlonia and Paul Annik Weiler.

Does anyone have more information about that and what other could have been the causes of the death of that five year old kid?

Now that you are mentioning it, I think I've heard about this before but I didn't remember about it. I agree with you that it would be interesting to learn about the causes of the death of this boy. If I'm not mistaken, he was the brother of Sybille Weiller, who is currently married to a brother of the Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg.
If this little boy died from haemophilia, that would mean that Infanta Beatriz transmitted the illness to her daughters and they may have transmitted it to their descendence. Infanta Beatriz had some boys too and one of them died but I don't know the cause. Infanta Cristina didn't have any boys if I'm not mistaken, she only had daughters... so they may also be a possibility that she transmitted to them haemophilia.
If anybody can bring some light to this topic, it's welcome. I also have to remind and ask for the collaboration about the info in this topic: any information, photos of King Alfonso's XIII sons and daughters is welcome.
Thanks to all of you:)

i think Maria Christina as a baby looks very similar to Juan Carlos and Felipe as babies, especially the hair and the eyes...

Was the Infante Juan, the Count of Barcelona legally Juan III of Spain?

The Infanta Beatriz (1909-2002) had Bienvenida and Ladislaa as her last two middle names.

Alfonso, Duke of Anjou, Duke of Cádiz, Grandee of Spain (Alfonso Jaime Marcelino Manuel Víctor María de Borbón y Dampierre, French citizen as Alphonse de Bourbon; 20 April 1936 – 30 January 1989) was a grandson of King Alfonso XIII of Spain, a potential heir to the throne in the event of restoration of the Spanish monarchy, and a Legitimist claimant to the defunct throne of France as Alphonse II.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfonso,_Duke_of_Anjou_and_Cádiz

The proclamation of the Republic, in 1931

https://confilegal.com/20210811-la-...iVfQXTVWnbdgNnAIQ-7k49Csutrlt-u-6ZIKsHm0a988c

Marriages of the sons of King Alfonso XIII:
Alfonso, then Prince of Asturias, married the commoner, Edelmira Sampedro y Robato, religiously in Ouchy on 21 June 1933, after which Alfonso assumed the courtesy title of Count of Covadonga. He renounced his rights to the throne to marry Edelmira.
https://c6.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G3a180dc7/22283205_Lv7kZ.jpeg

On July 3, 1937, Alfonso married Marta Rocafort-Atuzarrra in a lavish wedding in Havana, Cuba, attended by Cuban President Federico Laredo Brú. Two months later they separated and on January 8, 1938, they divorced in New York.
https://c5.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G9e177dd2/22283207_Qn8J0.jpeg

On 4 March 1935, in Rome, Infante Jaime married Victoire Jeanne Emmanuelle (Emanuela) Joséphine Pierre Marie de Dampierre (8 November 1913 in Rome – 3 May 2012 in Rome), daughter of Roger de Dampierre, 2nd Duke of San Lorenzo Nuovo, Vicomte de Dampierre (1892–1975) and of Donna Vittoria Ruspoli (1892–1982), daughter of Emanuele Ruspoli, 1st Principe di Poggio Suasa, and his third wife, English American Josephine Mary Curtis.
https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gec1822d2/22283208_2GLkF.jpeg

On 3 August 1949 in Innsbruck, Don Jaime remarried civilly to divorced singer Charlotte Luise Auguste Tiedemann (2 January 1919 in Königsberg – 3 July 1979 in Berlin), daughter of Otto Eugen Tiedemann and wife Luise Amalia Klein.
https://c3.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G0717a920/22283211_j3sRM.jpeg

Infanta Beatriz de Borbón y Battenberg married in the Santo Nombre de Jesús church in Rome, on January 14, 1935, with Alessandro Torlonia (1911-1986), 89 V Prince of Civitella-Cesi, son of Prince Marino Alessandro Torlonia and his wife, the American Mary Elsie Moore, but since Alessandro was a prince of a non-reigning house, Beatriz had to renounce her succession rights to the throne of Spain.
https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gfb184446/22283212_7PTjK.jpeg

Infanta María Cristina contracted a morganatic marriage on June 10, 1940 with Enrico Eugenio Antonio Marone-Cinzano (Turin, March 15, 1895 - Geneva, October 23, 1968), 1st Count Marone-Cinzano, son of Alberto Marone and his wife Paola Cinzano. Enrico Eugenio was the widower of Noemí Rosa de Alcorta y García-Mansilla, and was already the father of three children.
https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/Gd5175cd6/22283220_3nrMQ.jpeg

Infante Juan de Borbón, Count of Barcelona, married Princess María de las Mercedes de Borbón y Orleans on October 12, 1935, in the Basilica of Santa María de los Ángeles y los Mártires in Rome.
https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G5418b881/22283221_WUfaU.jpeg

:previous: Thank you, Blog Real. Just a minor correction: When Don Juan married, he was known as Prince (of Asturias), as he was the heir apparent to the defunct throne. He was Infante prior to his brothers' renunciations. Years later, he became Count of Barcelona upon succeeding his father as pretender to the throne.

But, as you pointed out with Alfonso, all of these were by courtesy only, as Spain then was a republic where titles of nobility were prohibited.

Back
Top Bottom