Pictures Of King Haakon VII, Queen Maud And Olav

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what you are asking but Google can be your friend.
Queen Maud died unexpectedly while on a visit to London in 1938

Maud of Wales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to think that just three days before Maud's death, in a small town in south central Ontario, Canada; a baby boy was born who would later change Canadian music forever! Osipi, you know who I'm talking about!

Last edited:
:previous: The boy that Princess Maud is holding hands with is Grand Duke George of Russia. He is the younger brother of the future Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.

George, born in 1871, was a couple of years younger than Maud. She apparently had a crush on him in her late teens. It didn’t come to anything though. George was tubercular for years and had to reside in spa towns in Georgia more or less in self imposed exile. He died at 28.

Didn't Maud have a fondness for one of her Greek cousins as well?

Carl got all the benefits of an abusive childhood plus Maud quite perceptively disliking his family (and him) at least partly because of that. No wonder he looks so sad.

Prince Nicholas of Greece showed some interest but it never came to anything, perhaps because Maud spent years in her early twenties mooning about Mary Teck’s (later Queen Mary’s ) playboy brother Frank.

He never led Maud on, or showed any interest in marrying her, but that didn’t matter. She regularly corresponded with him and every now and again would complain to May about the sparsity of letters back.

Strangely enough, although she of course knew her Danish cousins from childhood, she never showed much interest in them. When Maud heard that Carl was entering the Danish Navy, she stated that she was glad as it would ‘make him less daft’.

She, her brother George and cousin Tsar Nicholas would correspond often, apart from the Danish meetings. In these letters George was ‘Musie’, Maud was ‘Stumpie’ and Nicholas ‘Mr Toad’.

Strangely enough, although she of course knew her Danish cousins from childhood, she never showed much interest in them. When Maud heard that Carl was entering the Danish Navy, she stated that she was glad as it would ‘make him less daft’.

It's not really that strange when you consider the Frederik VIII kids weren't exactly a happy, free-spirited bunch. Maud would have had to be daft herself to prefer them to the warm, loving Russian and Greek circles.

Considering at one point in his naval training (which began soon after this photo) Carl had a picture of her which he apparently used to look at all the time... sometimes I wonder if the 'daftness' wasn't confessing his feelings to her at an age where she must have thought he was a very silly little boy.

Maud and Carl/Harry and Charles, very much on honeymoon, 1896, with their cute little nephews David and Bertie at the top. All taken by her sister Toria. https://www.rct.uk/sites/default/files/collection-online/f/8/866388-1550679904.jpg

Honestly, Maud looks like she doesn't know where Denmark even is and Carl looks like he doesn't care. ? (Supposed to be there months ago, they were in England for another two months.)

She never did like Denmark, did she?

Nope. ?

Partly psychological, partly rational. (The climate is darker and rainier and she really didn't like her aunt.) The fact that she didn't have any official duties as Princess Carl left her with not much to distract herself from feeling lonely. It's pretty reasonable to see how she wanted to be back in England with him away.

If Norway hadn't happened I imagine Carl eventually would have transferred to the British navy (with whatever degree of outrage, or not) and they would have just lived at Appleton. :britflag:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...Tlvo4sFCPwRM&w=474&h=612&itg=1&source=sh/x/im

Maud and her three surviving older siblings, in a picture I've never seen before. Honestly, my first thought was 'she's dressed differently than both her older sisters...Alexandra must be dead.' Followed about a minute or so later by 'wait, look at their clothes...no, she's not'.

So, safely establishing this post-1896 and pre-1925 9_9, I notice the link says 'circa 1913', but even that... seems far too late? (They all look pretty young, and if Maud and George both had thrones at that point, would they really let Toria have the chair? Maybe.) Anyone have a slightly narrower window or better guess for when this happened?

It feels very rare to see Maud with both Louise and Toria and all three dressed this dissimilarly, but it instantly lends some contrast to their personalities.

Back
Top Bottom