70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About the royals wearing their respective national costumes, I really hope not..
I want to see hats and suits and shoes and pregnant, visible bellies, and empire cuts ! :lol:

Why, if it is one day tiara event and the other national costumes... I think that would be nice, but we don´t know yet.

Here is a summary from the VG article the confirms the above mentioned guests after having contacted the different courts and in addition the following

Princess Ragnhild and Erling Lorentzen
Haakon and Martha Lorentzen
Princess Astrid and Johan Martin Ferner and children
King Albert and Queen Paola
Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex
Princess Anne and Timothy Laurence
The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
King Constanitjn and Queen Anne Marie
Probably Pavlos and Marie Chantal
Princess Kristine

Yesterday Birthday director Bentein Baardson was on a tour of the palace park with people from the court and the city of Oslo. Baardson is the official Norways "partyfixer", whenever there is something that shal be perfect he is in charge, like the opening ceremony for the Lillehammer Olympics, the Ibsen year, the events around the Crown Prince wedding.

21 Febuary, National Celebration
Stortinget (parlament) will honour the King with a ceremony right outside the Palace, here the King will get the gift from Stortinget, according to VG it is a staue of his mother that will stand in the north end of the park, in the south end there is already a staue of his grandmother Queen Maud

A service in the Trinity church

Dinner at Akershus, hosted by the goverment

23 Febuary
900 guests will gather in city hall, all the mayors in Norway is invited, so is all the county-mayors and countymen, according to the city of Oslo, only 3 people have turned down the invitation. Also royals from abroad will be at this arrangement. The event will las an hour and a half and all the 21 countys are invited to give some cultural performance

After that there will be a "family dinner" at Skaugum

24 Febuary
There will be an event outside the Palace in the daytime, what kind of event is a secret, but Queen Sonja is in charge

In the evening there will be a gala dinner with dancing at the royal palace.

25 Febuary
There will probabaly some sort of joint event in the morning before the guests leave

there will be some more events but according to VG it is secrets and the court is trying to make some suprises for the King

Thanks Larzen. Will there only be royals the 24th and 25th ?

Though I of course would rather see the younger generation in fabulous galagowns and tiaras, I can understand that for a birthday party the guests should mainly be people with whom the birthday-boy has shared some more time.
Harald will probably have more from a visit of Benedicte or the dutch queen's sister Margriet than from a visit of Mary or Mathilde, whom he has known for a mere couple of years.
The "older" generation however has been together "forever", has been meeting eachother at most events in their life.
(On second though, probably hightime to mix up the guestlist with some fresh faces;) )

fee said:
Though I of course would rather see the younger generation in fabulous galagowns and tiaras, I can understand that for a birthday party the guests should mainly be people with whom the birthday-boy has shared some more time.
Harald will probably have more from a visit of Benedicte or the dutch queen's sister Margriet than from a visit of Mary or Mathilde, whom he has known for a mere couple of years.
The "older" generation however has been together "forever", has been meeting eachother at most events in their life.
(On second though, probably hightime to mix up the guestlist with some fresh faces;) )
I think that among the guests confirmed/semiconfirmed so far, there's a nice mix of young and old. We've got the three young Dutch couples as well as Queen Beatrix, the Wessex's, Princess Anne, Princess Madeleine as well as Crown Princess Victoria, the Swedish Monarchs, as well as Queen Margrethe & Prince Henrik, and Frederik, Mary, and Joachim.

kwanfan said:
I think that among the guests confirmed/semiconfirmed so far, there's a nice mix of young and old. We've got the three young Dutch couples as well as Queen Beatrix, the Wessex's, Princess Anne, Princess Madeleine as well as Crown Princess Victoria, the Swedish Monarchs, as well as Queen Margrethe & Princess Henrik, and Frederik, Mary, and Joachim.

I hope Queen Margrethe let's him borrow one her best gown and parure! :lol:

Larzen said:
Here is a summary from the VG article the confirms the above mentioned guests after having contacted the different courts and in addition the following

Princess Ragnhild and Erling Lorentzen
Haakon and Martha Lorentzen
Princess Astrid and Johan Martin Ferner and children
King Albert and Queen Paola
Prince Edward and Sophie Wessex
Princess Anne and Timothy Laurence
The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
King Constanitjn and Queen Anne Marie
Probably Pavlos and Marie Chantal
Princess Kristine

Yesterday Birthday director Bentein Baardson was on a tour of the palace park with people from the court and the city of Oslo. Baardson is the official Norways "partyfixer", whenever there is something that shal be perfect he is in charge, like the opening ceremony for the Lillehammer Olympics, the Ibsen year, the events around the Crown Prince wedding.

21 Febuary, National Celebration
Stortinget (parlament) will honour the King with a ceremony right outside the Palace, here the King will get the gift from Stortinget, according to VG it is a staue of his mother that will stand in the north end of the park, in the south end there is already a staue of his grandmother Queen Maud

A service in the Trinity church

Dinner at Akershus, hosted by the goverment

23 Febuary
900 guests will gather in city hall, all the mayors in Norway is invited, so is all the county-mayors and countymen, according to the city of Oslo, only 3 people have turned down the invitation. Also royals from abroad will be at this arrangement. The event will las an hour and a half and all the 21 countys are invited to give some cultural performance

After that there will be a "family dinner" at Skaugum

24 Febuary
There will be an event outside the Palace in the daytime, what kind of event is a secret, but Queen Sonja is in charge

In the evening there will be a gala dinner with dancing at the royal palace.

25 Febuary
There will probabaly some sort of joint event in the morning before the guests leave

there will be some more events but according to VG it is secrets and the court is trying to make some suprises for the King

Who is Princess Kristine and who are the children of Princess Astrid and Johan Martin Ferner? and are they married??

Princess Robijn said:
Who is Princess Kristine and who are the children of Princess Astrid and Johan Martin Ferner? and are they married??
Princess Kristine is the widow of Prince Carl Bernadotte, the brother of Crown Princess Märtha. She is King Harald's aunt by marriage.

Princess Astrid and Johan Martin Ferner have five children:
Cathrine Ferner Johansen (b. 1962) married to Arild Johansen
Benedikte Ferner (b. 1963) (twice divorced)
Alexander Ferner (b. 1965) married to Margrét Gudmundsdóttir
Elisabeth Ferner (b. 1969) (divorced)
Carl-Christian Ferner (b. 1972)

kwanfan said:
We've got the three young Dutch couples as well as Queen Beatrix.[...]
I think it's not sure yet if Queen Beatrix will attend. It's only confirmed that the three young Dutch Couples will attend. :ermm:
I really hope the Queen will join them!

norwegianne said:
Princess Kristine is the widow of Prince Carl Bernadotte, the brother of Crown Princess Märtha. She is King Harald's aunt by marriage.

Princess Astrid and Johan Martin Ferner have five children:
Cathrine Ferner Johansen (b. 1962) married to Arild Johansen
Benedikte Ferner (b. 1963) (twice divorced)
Alexander Ferner (b. 1965) married to Margrét Gudmundsdóttir
Elisabeth Ferner (b. 1969) (divorced)
Carl-Christian Ferner (b. 1972)

Thank you :flowers:

Does Princess Kristine have the style of Highness?

I can imagine that two pregnant princesses Maxima and Mary will have a lot in common to talk about ;)

Last edited:
After re-reading the article, and not just looking at the pictures:neutral: it says that Belgian court will be represented with Albert and Paola, and several of their children

And it says the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg will possible be accompanied by other members of the family

Princess Kristine celebrates christmas with the Norwegian King and Queen every year, this is how she and her husband was styled on the guestlist for Haakons wedding
H.H. Prins Carl Bernadotte
H.H. Prinsesse Kristine Bernadotte
http://www.kongehuset.no/dt_kongehuset_newsstyle.asp?ogid=110&mgid=5&gid=16&aid=488

Any news on broadcating the birthday like swedish one?

Broadcast

German Television ZDF will broadcast live from Oslo on 21th February 2007. They will broadcast the church service from 11.00 to 14.00 o'clock and the festivities in the Palace Park from 15.00 to 16.00 o'clock!
I have just read it on ZDF.de - Startseite
I am really looking forward to it!!

bozena said:
German Television ZDF will broadcast live from Oslo on 21th February 2007. They will broadcast the church service from 11.00 to 14.00 o'clock and the festivities in the Palace Park from 15.00 to 16.00 o'clock!
I have just read it on ZDF.de - Startseite
I am really looking forward to it!!

Hey, thanks! That's great news. We'll be able to see Mette-Marit and her family, then.

Princess Ragnhild and husband will not attend

According to Aftenposten Princess Ragnhild and her husband will not attend the celebrations of King Harald's 70th birthday.

Not attending the King’s 70th birthday.

Princess Ragnhild and her husband Erling Lorentzen have noted that they will not be attending King Harald’s 70th birthday February 21. They will not be present at Princess Astrid’s 75th birthday next week.
It is Se og Hør’s website seher.no that notes that the king’s sister “due to happened circumstances” will not attend the party in Norway, where about 60 guests from Europe’s royal houses has confirmed their attendance.
According to what seher.no knows, King Harald’s sister and brother-in-law has told the king directly what the reason for they staying at home in Rio de Janeiro, but late Monday evening nobody at the Palace will comment on the guestlist not being as planned.
According to the Danish newspaper BT Queen Margrehte won’t be attending the 70th birthday party in Oslo, even if she accepted the invitaiton. The Danish queen will undergo knee suregery next week, and has thus canceled a large part of her planned arrangement the nearest months.
But Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Prince Joachim will be at the birthday party in Oslo, the newspaper reports.

Avbud til Kongens 70-årsdag

Though I find it curious that a serious newspaper such as Aftenposten use Se og Hør and the Danish B.T. as sources...

Last edited:
Usually a so-called "lurker", but I will actually be in Oslo on the 23rd and 24th Feb., visting from the US. I may try to go and check out the action! I didn't plan my trip around this event, but it would be quite a treat to see so many royal in one place!

bozena said:
In addition to that the German Television ARD will show a portrait of King Harald in the evening: It will be shown from 21:45 to 22:15, which means 9.45 pm to 10.15 pm :) on 21th February 2007.

The Danish Royal Court has confirmed that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary will be attending the celebrations on the 23rd and 24th:

Fødselsdag i Norge
Fredag 23. februar 2007 - Lørdag 24. februar 2007
Kronprinsparret deltager i festarrangementer fredag-lørdag i forbindelse med H.M. Kong Haralds 70-års fødselsdag.

From kronprinsparret.dk

i assume that the spanish royal family (at least felipe or letizia) are not attending the celebrations following erika's death.... anything said on this?

what a pity, i thought this event would be the chance to see all the crown princesses together.

JessRulz said:
The Danish Royal Court has confirmed that Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary will be attending the celebrations on the 23rd and 24th:

From kronprinsparret.dk
Kongehuset has the full list of attending Danish royals:
HRH The Prince Consort, The Crown Princely Couple, HRH Prince Christian and HRH Prince Joachim are attending HM King Harald of Norway's 70th birthday in Oslo, from the 23. to 25 February

VG reports that 63 people with royal background will be arriving for the celebrations. "We know they're busy people," says King Harald. "So we invited a lot of people, to ensure that someone would come. Surprisingly many of them decided to do so. So, we've got a bit of a logistical problem."

Five monarchs and two presidents. Strøm av kongelige gjester til 70-årsdagen

Last edited:
Little Prince Christian is coming from Denmark? Imagine him playing with Sverre Magnus. A picture of all the royal children together would be great!!!

I wonder if the festivities will be "child-friendly" why Prince Christian is listed attending. IIRC, the other times he's travelled with his parents he wasn't listed as an official guest.

According to Aftenposten the present from Stortinget to the King will be a copy of the statue of his mother Crownprincess Märtha which stands in front of the norwegian embassy in Washington.

:flowers:

Alisa said:
I wonder if the festivities will be "child-friendly" why Prince Christian is listed attending. IIRC, the other times he's travelled with his parents he wasn't listed as an official guest.
Both Christian, Sverre Magnus and the Jordanian Prince (son of Rym) was listed on the guestlist for the swedish bash. VG says there will be a sleigh-ride (Kanefart; sleighs pulled by horses and torch-lit) from Sollihøgda on the program, there they could possible bring the children if it is not to cold.

Larzen said:
Both Christian, Sverre Magnus and the Jordanian Prince (son of Rym) was listed on the guestlist for the swedish bash. VG says there will be a sleigh-ride (Kanefart; sleighs pulled by horses and torch-lit) from Sollihøgda on the program, there they could possible bring the children if it is not to cold.

How do you know that the Jordanian Prince (son of Princess Rym) will attend?

i read today at gremb that 63 royals have confirmed their assistance. only a week to go! i really can't wait.

hope the pregnant princesses can all come. i have serious doubts about letizia after what happened to her sister, but i still keep my hopes up for her coming. it would be such an amazing opportunity to see them all together, with ball gowns, tiaras and all the pomp and circumstance.

i don't think queen elizabeth will go though. although she seems good friends with harald and sonja, she didn't attend any of the heir's weddings lately, so i think it would be quite an offense to them and a bad image for her, giving preference to a somewhat private and leisure royal event than an official event as the wedding of a heir. it's not the image her majesty tries to give, so i therefore think she won't be there this time, which is a real shame.

Princess Robijn said:
How do you know that the Jordanian Prince (son of Princess Rym) will attend?

i think larzen is talking about the celebrations for the king of sweden in 2006.

Back
Top Bottom