Queen Margrethe II’s 40th Jubilee Celebrations: January-February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are plenty of politicians with an over-inflated view of their own importance and get their noses out of joint when someone else gets the limelight instead of them. So to get the spotlight back onto them they behave badly, totally forgetting that their role is to represent their constituents and their party in running the country. The Monarchy also represents their country and does so in a much more gracious way.

Would I be right in saying that HM & Prince Henrik are standing in front of a portrait of Queen Margrethe - the Regent queen from so long ago. [Don't know the date of when she was regent.] At the palace with stipped chairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to Queen Margarethe and all of Denmark! How wonderful to have such a diplomatic and intelligent head of state.

Congratuations to Queen Margarethe! What a good 40 years Denmark has had. :)

Do we know of all the Royals who will be attending? I know a lot of Royals attended Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubliee in 2002 so i'd hope that Elizabeth and Philip attend this, but I highly doubt it due to their age and Philip's recent ill health. Here's hoping Charles pulls his finger out and attends, and they don't just send Edward and Sophie. I have no problem with the Wessex's attending, but I feel the British Royal Family should put a bit of effort in considering it's Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee this year. We shall have to see.

^^^^
Based on her Silver Jubilee,and what has been posted previously, it will only be her relatives from Norway & Sweden, as well as the Greeks & Berlbergs.

Would I be right in saying that HM & Prince Henrik are standing in front of a portrait of Queen Margrethe - the Regent queen from so long ago. [Don't know the date of when she was regent.] At the palace with stipped chairs.

You mean the 13th picture in this series: Til royal reception på Borgen | www.b.dk
I don't know who this woman is, but she is not QMI. Judging from her dress the painting was made around 1810 and QMI reigned in the latter part of the 1400's.
This is a picture of QMI: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Margrete_1.jpg - Perhaps based on her effigy.

I think part of Margrethes secret of success is that she is who she is and does not bow to the daily fashion (same goes eg for Beatrix of the Netherland). She is a character what the public appreciate, despite her yellow teeth and ugly clothes. Its something that could work in Frederik's favour too, although times change and I wouldnt bet on it in the long run.

Another nice gallery focussing on yesterday's press conference:

** sn.dk: Se billederne fra Dronningens pressemøde **

and one of both events yesterday:

** La reine Margrethe jubile devant la princesse Mary et sous les baisers de Henrik **

Today, January 11, Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and
Prince Christian opened the exhibition "Regent of 40 Years - Queen Margrethe 1972-2012" at Frederiskborg
Slot in Hillerød.

Prince Christian helped to unveil a new family portrait of himself, his grandmother and his father :)

** sn.dk gallery ** ppe gallery ** b.dk gallery: Prins Christian afsloerede dronningens nye portraet **

** kongehuset.dk: Nyt portræt af Dronningen, Kronprinsen og Prins Christian **

** kongehuset.dk: Udstillingsabning pa Frederiksborg Slot **

** belga/royalpress gallery ** belga/stella ** Billed-Bladet gallery: Prins Christian maleri **

** Billed-Bladet: Se stolt prins Christian afslører kongeligt portrætmaleri ** translation **

** msn.dk gallery: Christian på arbejde med farmor ** sn.dk gallery 2: "Regent i 40 år" **

Last edited:
I have to say that for the 40th Anniversary of her becoming queen it would be lovely to see a new family photo, one wit the whole family including the new arrival.

Thanks Muhler, gosh was it that long ago!! I just thought their placement might have been significant in some way under that particular portrait. But I guess not. cheers.

Would I be right in saying that HM & Prince Henrik are standing in front of a portrait of Queen Margrethe - the Regent queen from so long ago.

Nah.. the style of the dress and the furniture gives away that we are dealing with a work from the first half of the 19th century :)! It depicts Queen Marie Sophie Frederikke (1767-1852), consort of King Frederik VI (1768-1808-1839).

viv

^^^^
Based on her Silver Jubilee,and what has been posted previously, it will only be her relatives from Norway & Sweden, as well as the Greeks & Berlbergs.

Wow, really? I am surprised, but I suppose it is their choice. I am sure Margrethe was in London for the Queen's Golden Jubliee, but I could have been mistaken.

Wow, really? I am surprised, but I suppose it is their choice. I am sure Margrethe was in London for the Queen's Golden Jubliee, but I could have been mistaken.
She, along with Europes other reigning monarchs were in London for QE2's Golden Jubilee, but in Copenhagen for QM2's Silver Jubilee it was the Swedes and the Norwegians along with the Greek & Berlberg relatives.

Will Princess Marie be absent from all the celebrations?

She, along with Europes other reigning monarchs were in London for QE2's Golden Jubilee, but in Copenhagen for QM2's Silver Jubilee it was the Swedes and the Norwegians along with the Greek & Berlberg relatives.
But they where not there for the actual Jubilee Celebrations in London. They all attended the annual Garter Day Service and a special Dinner. Some of them also attended Ascot.
And at margrethe's Silver Jubilee the swedish Royals where absent due the death of Prince Bertil just a week before the Celebrations. Princess Christina and her husband attended some of the Celebrations.

A new painting of the queen and two future kings was disclosed today at a special exhibition about the queen at Frederiksborg slot in Hillerød - http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-47370879:afslører-de-tre-kongelige-generationer.html?forside

Better angle here from the Scandinavian Royals Message Board: The Scandinavian Royals Message Board: New portrait of HM Queen Margarethe II unveiled

That picture to me, just looks odd. Margrethe and Frederik dressed to the nines and Christian in kiddies suit looking up to two giants. Surely a more informal, sat down photo would have been a better choice.

Good grief!! :eek: Did they pay the artist for this?!?
I hope not!
The painting looks awfully flat, there seems to be no depth, the people look so lifeless and fake, and the composition is quite poor, imho.:eek:

:previous:
The artist is Niels Strøbek, who has previously done two paintings of HM and an obvious favorite of hers. He's usually very good; hopefully the new piece is better ' live'; we only see it from an odd angle here .....

BY the way: The colour of HM's dress doesn't do the artwork any favours...

viv

Good grief!! :eek: Did they pay the artist for this?!?

I certainly hope so, artists need to be paid, even if the result is not quite the intention of the patron who commissioned the work! Presumably it was QMII who knew the artist's work and hired him/her to do the job. The representation is certainly life like, but more along the lines of good old fashioned 'cinema painting', I think. Very appropriate in this celebrity mad world, where queens, princes and duchesses are portrayed alongside fashion designers, movie stars and even presidents!
:flowers::cheers::cool::cool:

The live interview with QMII on TV2 has just ended. 45 minuttes and not one dull second!

The interviewer was Ulla Terkelsen, one of the best TV-journalists in DK and one of the very few correspondents I have a deep respect for.
She did not dissapoint.

Can you imagine an interview with a royal full of meaningful questions?
Can you imagine an interview with a royal full of interesting replies?
Can you imagine an interview with a royal that starts with an intelligent question and continue that way to the very end?
That's what happened.

In a way it was more like an auto biography because QMII was allowed to talk about meaningful, intelligent and significant subjects in a way so that we really got to know her and to genuine learn what she think about various subjects.
I think QMII enjoyed the interview too. She was challenged, she was spared trivial questions and we saw first hand how sharp her mind really is.

This was really good.

Last edited:
That sounds really interesting Muhler, do you know whether there will be one with english or german subtitles?

That sounds really interesting Muhler, do you know whether there will be one with english or german subtitles?

I doubt that. Unless some network wish to show it as a portrait of QMII, I doubt it will be shown outside Scandinavia.

Back
Top Bottom