Pronunciation of Dutch royal names

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebody

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
BC
Country
Canada
Based on the discussion on the pronunciation of Adélaïde; I was thinking that many non-Dutch (or Belgian) members might not know the Dutch pronunciation of the names of the various members of the Dutch royal family.

Starting with two former queens:

The name of princess Beatrix is to be pronounced as Bay-ah-trix [two long vowels; final one is short] (not Bee-ah-trix).

Her mother Juliana was not called Djoo-lee-ah-nah (like Ju in June) but J{non existent sound in English}-lee-ah-nah. [all 'long vowels']
* The non-existing sound is [y:))] in phonetics.

Edit: underlined means emphasis.

Last edited:
Another royal name that is very likely to be pronounced incorrectly is Beatrix' sister princess Irene. In Dutch, the pronunciation consists of 3 syllables: Ee-ray-neh
* neh refers to another unknown sound in English - it is rather close the 'e' in 'her'; the 'e' (a very common sound in Dutch at the end of words; almost all verbs end in '-en' - the same sound can be found in the name of the king: WillEm) is [Y] in phonetics.

Laurentien surely also raises questions; let me try:
Lou (like loud but without d) - rehn (short vowel like net) - teen (but pronounced much shorter).

Willem-Alexander; note that the W in Dutch sounds much more like a 'V' to most English speakers - but it's somewhere in between a V and W in English.
So: W/Vill- l[Y]m (see Irene) - ah (short as if father) lec - san - der (d[Y]r)

Mabel is easy as her name is English; not Dutch.

Pieter is basically Peter but the 'ie' sound is shorter than the first 'e' in Peter.

Last edited:
Based on the discussion on the pronunciation of Adélaïde; I was thinking that many non-Dutch (or Belgian) members might not know the Dutch pronunciation of the names of the various members of the Dutch royal family.

Starting with two former queens:

The name of princess Beatrix is to be pronounced as Bay-ah-trix [two long vowels; final one is short] (not Bee-ah-trix).

Her mother Juliana was not called Djoo-lee-ah-nah (like Ju in June) but J{non existent sound in English}-lee-ah-nah. [all 'long vowels']
* The non-existing sound is [y:))] in phonetics.

Edit: underlined means emphasis.

Most English speakers tend to pronounce the former Queen's name as BEAT-RICKS.

Most English speakers tend to pronounce the former Queen's name as BEAT-RICKS.

Interesting. Good to know. She doesn't come across as a 'beating' type of person.

Just like my former boss's boss's boss (etc) whose name (Boasberg) would by the English pronunciation of it in Dutch by translated to 'Angry Mountain' - but I've hardly ever seen him angry on his mountain at the top of the organization ?

Last edited:
As an American who has always lived on the West Coast, I would pronounce her name: "Bee-Tricks." (My cat just looked up in confusion as I keep repeating the same name over and over.?)

Back
Top Bottom