The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Majesty

Prinsjesdag....and its raining cats and dogs.Do hope that the "traditional" Orange sun,Oranjezonnetje,will pop out around noon till 3 at least.People already start lining up along the route since early this morning and tens of thousands more are expected.....

Old 09-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post

Prinsjesdag....and its raining cats and dogs.Do hope that the "traditional" Orange sun,Oranjezonnetje,will pop out around noon till 3 at least.People already start lining up along the route since early this morning and tens of thousands more are expected.....
What time is it there lucien? And what time does the event start?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
What time is it there lucien? And what time does the event start?

Good morning!
It is 08.55 AM now,and the broadcast from The Hague will start at 12.30PM.
HM,TRH and dear Pieter will leave for Parliament from Noordeinde Palace at 13.00PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh that means I wont be able to see pictures until tomorrow, by the time they're up tonight it'll be too late. Oh well.

I hope the weather does fine up - I can't remember seeing any obviously raining Prindjesdag pictures before, but I could be wrong of course. Still it'd be a shame.

What kind of a turnout is there normally? Never having set foot in a country with a monarchy I have no idea...
Old 09-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmi View Post
Oh that means I wont be able to see pictures until tomorrow, by the time they're up tonight it'll be too late. Oh well.

I hope the weather does fine up - I can't remember seeing any obviously raining Prindjesdag pictures before, but I could be wrong of course. Still it'd be a shame.

What kind of a turnout is there normally? Never having set foot in a country with a monarchy I have no idea...

Usually there is a huge turnout,really huge,packed with spectators along the entire route,come rain come shine,it is a typical festive day in The Hague.Oh it has,litterally,rained on the parade before,but these were quite rare and never during the procession from/to Palace/Parliament,hence the reference to the "magical" Orange sun that tradionally always pops out on haydays of the RF.

Nighty night!There'll be loads of pics,and comments no doubt......once you wake up
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

For those interested in the traditions and history of Prinsjesdag, go to this wikipedia page, they explain it rather well.

Some info from that article:

Quote:
In the 18th Century, Prinsjesdag was one of the country's most popular public holidays and was originally used to celebrate the 8 March birthday of Prince William V.
Between 1780 and 1797 — known as the Patriot era — the day was used for demonstrations of loyalty to the House of Orange, which is probably why the name was chosen in the 19th Century for the ceremonial opening of parliament.
Historically, the constitution has stated that the opening of parliament should take place on a fixed date and in line with a constitutional revision in 1887, it was decided to hold the opening on the third Tuesday in September.
The opening of parliament was originally held on the first Monday in November in the first half of the 19th Century and then the third Monday in October, but when a constitutional revision introduced annual budgets in 1848, more time was needed to debate the budget, so the date was brought forward a month.
Monday was considered inappropriate, because many parliamentarians in distant parts of the country needed to leave their homes on Sunday to make it to The Hague in time, so the 1887 revision moved Prinsjesdag to Tuesday.
Throughout the years 1815 to 1904, the speech from the throne was given in the assembly room of the Lower House of Parliament, or Tweede Kamer, but was moved back to the Hall of Knights after an extensive restoration of the building at the start of the 20th Century.
The pomp and ceremony is still very much part of the day.
Some extra news, Femke Halsema, member of the Green-Left party refused to wear the hat that Greenpaece offeren her. It was made of coals and a small chimney. When her daughter started laughing and said how rediculous she looked she decided that a less flamboyant hat might be a better option. Greenpeace is not amused though. Take a look at the hat here, the lady is the woman who made it, she is anrgy too.

In the mean time text of HM speech leaked out a few days ago. RTL news had the scoop, so everybody already knows the cabinets plans for next year. This leaking must have caused some thunders at Huis ten Bosch.

It seems to be dry in The Hague, so we probably won´t see scenes like this.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Online Player omroep.nl
Old 09-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

I don't like the gown of the Queen.

I love the outfit of Máxima, I'm just not sure what to think about her hat, at the first look I would hate it, but after looking closely, I kind of like it.

I love the dress of Laurentien (except maybe the blue thing on top)

Magriet looks great.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

The first picture:
Free Image Hosting, Uploadem.Com

(Source: ANP)
Old 09-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Moderator Emeritus

my first impressions:

Beatrix: the dress reminds me a lot of last year's outfit...
Laurentien: Great outfit! She looked really stylish! surprising is a positive way!
Maxima: nice outfit, but awful hat, imo.. (that's only my first impression... maybe it will change after seeing it on more pictures and on close-ups)
Margriet: lovely.. as usual.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Actually inside the outfit of HM looked good enough, but outside when the wind played with it it became very clear that it is far to wide and had no shape at all. The fabric however was exquisite. The Queen was wearing ruby earrings and bracelet of the mellerio parure. The ruby bow brooch was worn previously by Maxima in Turkey (the outfit with the turban).

Princess Margriet clearly still has some difficulties in walking, a special stairs had to be used to let her step into and out of the carriage. The Queen also used that stairs. I hope they will use the stairs for Martine van Loon Labouchere next year too, she almost stumbled when getting in and getting out of her carriage. luckily the grand master was there to give her some support.

The carriage look very well btw, they seem to be in an excellent state and somebody spent an entire day or more polishing them, I think . So many militairy things, fanfare´s, ceremonial tenues etc. It always surprises me in this country.

I can´t place the brooch Maxima is wearing btw, I don´t think I ever saw it before. Her outfit looked good enough, though I think her hat will face some critisism here. There were some glitters in the outfit, and in the hat too, I actually liked it. I would like to see the dress without a jacket, it must make a nice gala dress.

Laurentien looked very subdued and elegant actually, one of her best outfits. She wears the sapphire and diamond brooch that the Zorreguieta family gave to the Queen.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Thanks J for the pic!

Early impressions indicate that Laurentien is looking the best (unsure about her headgear though ). Queen Bea's gown looks kind of medieval. From this angle, Máxima is clearly wearing a bird's nest on her head! And Margriet looks to have feathers sticking out of something...
Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Majesty

NOS | Politiek24

Prinsjesdag Live.

Courtesy Sal,who posted the link at the BRMB.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Some more pics from ANP

Máxima waving from the Carriage
Beatrix in the Carriage
Margriet in the Carriage
Queen Beatrix exiting the Carriage
Queen Beatrix after exiting the Carriage

Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Thanks J for the pic!

Early impressions indicate that Laurentien is looking the best (unsure about her headgear though ). Queen Bea's gown looks kind of medieval. From this angle, Máxima is clearly wearing a bird's nest on her head! And Margriet looks to have feathers sticking out of something...
Your welcome J(ess)
Old 09-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Majesty

HM outfit is the same she wore during the State Visit from Luxembourg,IIRC.

Speech from the Throne 2007.
The Dutch Royal House
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Thanks J for the pic!

Thanks for the first pictures everyone. Haha, the Queens gown does look kind of medieval JessRulz, maybe it will look different from a different angle. I love Maxima's hair, looks very beautiful. What do you guys think, will this be the Queens last year as Queen Beatrix, and will we have a King reading and presiding prinsjesdag?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

This was the dress HM wore the first day of the state visit of Luxembourg and this the one of the second day. Though her Prinsjesdag outfit resembles the first one, the medieval tunic style and rich fabric, they are not the same I think.

I don´t think this will be her last year, though the special stairs for her and her sister is a reminder that she is aging indeed. I think she will give her son more time to enjoy his family. The tv report said that it wasn´t announced how and if HM will celebrate her 70th birthday in January btw. I don´t expect a national celebration anymore as the preparations for that should have started by now.

---

Not too many crazy hats this year btw, only the woman from SP who usually uses her headgear for some form of protest, this time to give attention to homeless people. The political debates have already started on television. The next days the cabinet will have to defend its budget in the second chamber of parliament.

--

And now I have to run, abs attack class is starting in 15 minutes!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM

My opinion;

Margriet : Very Lady Marjorie and I quite like the outfit though I'm not sure if it's just a little too Edwardian.

Maxima : Love the whole outfit. Fabienne has come up trumps again.

Beatrix : Dull in colour, fab in shape. I was expecting something a little more from HM but oh well, there's always next year.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Majesty

PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/Albert Nieboer.

Closed Thread

Tags
beatrix, carriages, constantijn, crown prince willem alexander, dutch royal family, laurentien, margriet, maxima, opening of parliament, pieter van vollenhoven, prince constantijn, prince of orange, prince willem-alexander, princess laurentien, princess margriet, princess maxima, prinsjesdag, queen beatrix