The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Gentry

I remember um-teen years ago the photo elsewhere on this forum of then-Queen Beatrix getting out from behind the wheel of her Ford Focus estate. It was charming that the monarch drove such an un-flashy car. Unfortunately, the link to the photo is now broken. If anyone knows where it, or any others of the aged Beatrix driving, are located, I would love to see. Thanks!

Old 12-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Administrator

I've not been able to find any photos of Beatrix driving a car herself, but I did find this interesting link of all the official cars used by the Dutch Royal Family almost up to the present day:

http://www.paul-wouters.nl/koninklijk.htm

Old 12-03-2020, 07:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDweller View Post
I remember um-teen years ago the photo elsewhere on this forum of then-Queen Beatrix getting out from behind the wheel of her Ford Focus estate. It was charming that the monarch drove such an un-flashy car. Unfortunately, the link to the photo is now broken. If anyone knows where it, or any others of the aged Beatrix driving, are located, I would love to see. Thanks!
I thought Princess - Queen - Princess Beatrix has driven Volvo cars for more than 60 years. In private that is. I do remember a Ford Focus Station as private car indeed (or was it one of the staff fleet, loaned by the Queen?).

In the first two decades of her reign Queen Beatrix had Ford as standard supplier to the royal fleet. In her last decade Volvo became the standard car and now under King Willem-Alexander the official fleet consists of Audi cars. But outside the official fleet they drive Volvo XC90 .

The first two decades under Beatrix with Ford Granada and Ford Scorpio as official royal cars were horrible. I have never understood what the Queen saw in those cars.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:38 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

They came at a bargain perhaps?

Queen Juliana also used a Ford during her reign:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7034/6...5926842b_b.jpg

And the 1937 car accident of Prince Bernhard was also with a Ford:

https://historiek.net/het-auto-ongel...rd-1937/39015/
Old 12-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I knew exactly which one you meant but it took me a while (btw it is a Ford Focus indeed)

https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?pic...ge=67&pos=1982
https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?pic...ge=67&pos=1981
https://www.anpfoto.nl/search.pp?pic...ge=66&pos=1980
Old 12-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Are the vintage cars ever used by the RF or just on permanent display?
Old 12-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirac View Post
Thank you!!!

I wonder if it's ever been confirmed if she was indeed the person who drove the Twingo over the bollard.

https://www.motor1.com/news/101343/d...%20after%20all.

We know from the Focus she's not above driving a cheap set of wheels.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Thank you!!!

I wonder if it's ever been confirmed if she was indeed the person who drove the Twingo over the bollard.

https://www.motor1.com/news/101343/d...%20after%20all.

We know from the Focus she's not above driving a cheap set of wheels.

No, it was not her. It seems that it was her hairstylist. But no official confirmations of course.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:31 AM
Administrator

The Golden carriage has been hoisted into the the courtyard of the Amsterdam museum last night. The carriage has a weight of 2800 kilos:

https://nos.nl/artikel/2384378-resta...museum-gehesen

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ach...eker~b35c0e6f/

https://www.parool.nl/amsterdam/goud...keld~b19c14d8/

According to the Volkskrant it is unclear if the carriage will ever be used again. The King has been using the glass carriage since 2016. The newspapers says that Queen Wilhelmina was not very enthusiastic about the carriage and it was only used since 1923 on a regular basis. Apparently it went by the nickname 'pretty from afar but far from pretty'.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:08 AM
Majesty

Today the king explained in a video message (see NOS) that (at least for now) the Golden Carriage will not be used. He stated that the time is not ready yet for the Carriage to be used again.

He also stressed that doing away with historical objectives or judging previous times with modern eyes isn't helpful. Nonetheless, we have to come to terms with the past and its influence in the present in a joined effort.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:18 AM
Administrator

The video message provided by the Palace:

Old 01-13-2022, 01:45 PM
Administrator

He is right, the carriage and thus the monarchy will become a polarizing object and demonstrations could be expected whenever the thing would be in use. And the monarchy can not be in the middle of a divisive cultural debate.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its the right decision can you imagine red paint or attacks on the Golden Carriage had it been used again.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
He is right, the carriage and thus the monarchy will become a polarizing object and demonstrations could be expected whenever the thing would be in use. And the monarchy can not be in the middle of a divisive cultural debate.

But it still a pity Perhaps it would have been better to replace the paintings with something neutral during the restoration.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But it still a pity Perhaps it would have been better to replace the paintings with something neutral during the restoration.
The panels could have been removed and then the carriage doors just in plain gold, eventually with arms or crowns on it. But the King, a historian himself, found this a falsification of history. The carriage was created in an era in which the Netherlands were a colonial power. And the nation was immensely proud. Back then images of coloured people from the East and the West offering gifts to the Motherland were seen as an allegory.

Hard to defend in 2022 but the King, owner of the carriage, thougt removing the panels is taking away the historicity and provenance of the object. It is a pity because the King ordered an extensive restoration, not for museal preservation but for practical use, which tripled the prize tag. Now the carriage is as new, in perfect state to be pulled by horses but it most likely it will never be used again.

Or Princess Catharina-Amalia should request to have it used as a bridal carriage, with the panels removed. But I assume she has the same opinion as her father, about the authenicity of this artwork.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, history is history for better or worse. Sometimes to proud of, sometimes painful, sometimes embarrassing but it should never be altered (as we see with new "modern" edition of literary classics) or hidden away. - Otherwise we forget.

And one day it's forever 1984...
Old 01-13-2022, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Seems all quite silly to me, and a waste of money. There's no reason why the panels can't be placed in a museum for their history and art to be appreciated and dissected while keeping the coach in service. Why not launch a national competition to design new panels with today's understanding of the Netherlands past, present, and future? Can't quite understand the King's stance on this.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:11 PM
Administrator

It is probably the route that gives the least public discussion? Creating new panels will lead to accusations of falsifying history etc. & the topic will pop up more frequently. This is the quickest way to burry the discussion all together.

Considering the King released a video statement - something that has not been done before apart from the Greek mea culpa- he must find it important to make his argumentation clear.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Seems all quite silly to me, and a waste of money. There's no reason why the panels can't be placed in a museum for their history and art to be appreciated and dissected while keeping the coach in service. Why not launch a national competition to design new panels with today's understanding of the Netherlands past, present, and future? Can't quite understand the King's stance on this.
Most likely the King likes the current main gala berline from 1821 (see picture) the best, it has been restored as well in a splendid state.

Plus there are other ceremonial carriages, also restored in splendid state (nine gala berlines and four gala coupés) aside open carriages like calèches, landauers, barouches, etc. Probably the King is not waiting for eternal discussions about this specific carriage (see picture)?