The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2161  
Old 03-31-2021, 03:42 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,387
Harry also claimed that he was told that "there was no money for her" so that she would have to keep on working.

I know the family's private wealth is different even from the Duchy money and definitely bigger than the sovereign grant but if that claim had any truth then it should have been obvious that Charles wouldn't be able to indefinitely keep funding a mansion in Montecito with a celebrity philanthropist life to match complete with round the clock security.
__________________

  #2162  
Old 03-31-2021, 03:50 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 185
I just realised something, while Meghan was front and centre and Harry was basically a side character on the Oprah interview, it was him who got all these jobs in the US and not her, it feels like these people know that he's the royal one and not her.
__________________

  #2163  
Old 03-31-2021, 03:57 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Harry also claimed that he was told that "there was no money for her" so that she would have to keep on working.

y.
if there was "No money for her", can Harry explain how Meghan did NOT keep on working as an actress and in fact started to do royal duties as soon as she was married?
  #2164  
Old 03-31-2021, 04:12 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I just realised something, while Meghan was front and centre and Harry was basically a side character on the Oprah interview, it was him who got all these jobs in the US and not her, it feels like these people know that he's the royal one and not her.
Possibly, Meghan has had a hard time getting Harry to realise taht they BOTH have to get some kind of work.. and that he as the long standing royal, is the big draw. I suspect that as people have siad, Harry just thought that he'd go on being funded by Charles, and that somehow more money would come in wihtout his even making a token effort to earn it.. He thinks that he is still charles' responsibility and that Princes dont have to work. Possibly, Meghan was hoping that Harry will now take on some responsibilty adn the interview gave rise to job offers.. so he's been pushed/told he has to take them on....
  #2165  
Old 03-31-2021, 04:15 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I just realised something, while Meghan was front and centre and Harry was basically a side character on the Oprah interview, it was him who got all these jobs in the US and not her, it feels like these people know that he's the royal one and not her.
Meghan is pregnant and laying low. Outside of this interview we have rarely seen her. No doubt on purpose. Iím sure she has her own stuff in the works too to be announced with time.
  #2166  
Old 03-31-2021, 07:26 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Neverland, Austria
Posts: 66
I totally believe Meghan let Harry take the jobs which were given due to his status as a Prince which he uses gladly. She's smartly doing so to embiggen him and make him "realise" that William was jealous that Harry is better. She'll join him soon. The hate for Harry landing the jobs is less than it'd be for Meghan and he has credentials of being a Prince and Meghan white smart is not a genius as some make her out to be. Intelligent, smart yeah but also Tiggy-Like, California style. She's even no Amal Clooney.
  #2167  
Old 03-31-2021, 07:45 AM
Claire's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,505
Ah - it looks like the truth is slowly coming out
It is all about the money.

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million - I do not know where Prince Charles arrived at the amount. But it seems HM were not happy to be receiving less then WK. Then it appears that they were informed that when Charles becomes King. His income will drop to be in line with what the Queen is currently providing Anne, Edward, the Kents and Gloucesters and Princess Alexander - which appears to be only 500 000 pounds, but their office and travel costs is dealt with differently. William will have the Cornwall estate as his sole income.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...7c37966cdb1c53
I think at this point MH realized that they weren't at all in change of their own fortunes and funds. The emails and meetings with the Queen were about this - that they couldn't be expected to be senior royals at minor royal pay. it seems they wanted a specific amount guaranteed in Charles and William's reign and that didn't work for the palace.
  #2168  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:01 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Ah - it looks like the truth is slowly coming out
It is all about the money.

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million -

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...7c37966cdb1c53
I think at this point MH realized that they weren't at all in change of their own fortunes and funds. The emails and meetings with the Queen were about this - that they couldn't be expected to be senior royals at minor royal pay. it seems they wanted a specific amount guaranteed in Charles and William's reign and that didn't work for the palace.
surprised as my understanding was that teh Duchy accounts showed that between them they got about £5M a year as expenses for their working lifestyle...

[...]
  #2169  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:20 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Ah - it looks like the truth is slowly coming out
It is all about the money.

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million - I do not know where Prince Charles arrived at the amount. But it seems HM were not happy to be receiving less then WK. Then it appears that they were informed that when Charles becomes King. His income will drop to be in line with what the Queen is currently providing Anne, Edward, the Kents and Gloucesters and Princess Alexander - which appears to be only 500 000 pounds, but their office and travel costs is dealt with differently. William will have the Cornwall estate as his sole income.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...7c37966cdb1c53
I think at this point MH realized that they weren't at all in change of their own fortunes and funds. The emails and meetings with the Queen were about this - that they couldn't be expected to be senior royals at minor royal pay. it seems they wanted a specific amount guaranteed in Charles and William's reign and that didn't work for the palace.
Thank you Claire for sharing the Herald Sun article.

It's interesting to hear from Daniela Elser's (the author) point of view that the Royal Finances may have some sort of impact on their decision to leave as senior working royals.
  #2170  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:28 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
Hmm. Surely Harry woudl have a rough idea that his finances were alwasy going to be dependent on his positon in the RF, which is not as high up as Williams. I would doubt that when Will was king, he would keep his brother on a pittance..
  #2171  
Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I would doubt that when Will was king, he would keep his brother on a pittance..
Before, I would have doubted that. After Meghan threw Kate under the bus and Harry told the world (or maybe just Meghan) about his "unproductive" phone call with William... Well, Harry had better hope Charles inherited the Queen's and Philip's longevity genes.
  #2172  
Old 03-31-2021, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Harry also claimed that he was told that "there was no money for her" so that she would have to keep on working.

I know the family's private wealth is different even from the Duchy money and definitely bigger than the sovereign grant but if that claim had any truth then it should have been obvious that Charles wouldn't be able to indefinitely keep funding a mansion in Montecito with a celebrity philanthropist life to match complete with round the clock security.
I've heard that Charles was incredibly generous to M & H during their time with the RF.

Staff were staggered by the amount of money they were spending, and told Charles he couldn't hope to fund them on that scale forever, but Charles would just order them to pay the bills.

(They were spending much more than the Cambridges).
  #2173  
Old 03-31-2021, 09:03 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
Before, I would have doubted that. After Meghan threw Kate under the bus and Harry told the world (or maybe just Meghan) about his "unproductive" phone call with William... Well, Harry had better hope Charles inherited the Queen's and Philip's longevity genes.
Possibly now.. but not back when they were working royals. Im sure that William would be conscious of his brothers needs and there woudl be a fair allowance from teh Duchy for his work expenses.. and probably a private allowance. But he wouldn't be as rich as William...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I've heard that Charles was incredibly generous to M & H during their time with the RF.

Staff were staggered by the amount of money they were spending, and told Charles he couldn't hope to fund them on that scale forever, but Charles would just order them to pay the bills.

(They were spending much more than the Cambridges).
where have you heard this? I would be surprised unless Charles was being induglent as they were newly married and he wanted Harry to be happy. But Charles is sensible about money.. so I would have said that he would be generous enough but not foolish...I thought that both Will and Harry were getting around the same amount for their expenses around £2M a year.. and Charles probably helped out after the marriage with start up expenses. however its been said that when they left, he gave Harry money to start up again in America.. but that that was understood to be a one off payment to help him with his new life and that (because C's resources are not limitless) he would have made it clear that that was only during 2020. So I'd guess that he stopped taking H's calls when he found that Harry was ringing up a lot and asking for more money....
  #2174  
Old 03-31-2021, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,178
[...]

I would have thought that Anne and Edward would get far more than the Kents and Gloucesters, just because they carry out more engagements, but I don't know. If office and travel costs are dealt with differently, presumably the total amounts they get are higher.


Again, it's just the way things are. If my family had zillions of pounds (if only!!) and my sister was getting a lot more than me, I wouldn't be very pleased, but we're not royalty or aristocracy. Is it fair that Charles Spencer got the Althorp estate and Sarah, Jane and Diana didn't? Is it fair that Prince Charles gets the money from the Duchy of Cornwall and Anne, Andrew and Edward don't? It's just the way it goes. None of them are exactly on the breadline. Would anyone here sneeze at being given £4 million, or even £500,000?! Surely he must have realised that he wouldn't get the same as William.
  #2175  
Old 03-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
[...]


I would have thought that Anne and Edward would get far more than the Kents and Gloucesters, just because they carry out more engagements, but I don't know. If office and travel costs are dealt with differently, presumably the total amounts they get are higher.


Again, it's just the way things are. If my family had zillions of pounds (if only!!) and my sister was getting a lot more than me, I wouldn't be very pleased, but we're not royalty or aristocracy. Is it fair that Charles Spencer got the Althorp estate and Sarah, Jane and Diana didn't? Is it fair that Prince Charles gets the money from the Duchy of Cornwall and Anne, Andrew and Edward don't? It's just the way it goes. None of them are exactly on the breadline. Would anyone here sneeze at being given £4 million, or even £500,000?! Surely he must have realised that he wouldn't get the same as William.
True but possibly if Meghan was freely spending and perhaps saying all the time " why do we get less than your brother, why do we have this poky house i the country while they have a better place " etc.. maybe Harry felt obliged to talk to his dad to get some assurance that he'd be looked after in future years.. and found that Charles was maybe saying "I can't speak for William but I'm sure he'll do right by you"... And when he heard that, he panicked and they started to think "we might be living on the breadline in years to come, if Will doesn't pay up enough".. and that was another factor in their desire to get out. (Having said that I think that Meghan may have always had it in her mind to get out).
  #2176  
Old 03-31-2021, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
where have you heard this? I would be surprised unless Charles was being induglent as they were newly married and he wanted Harry to be happy. But Charles is sensible about money.. so I would have said that he would be generous enough but not foolish...I thought that both Will and Harry were getting around the same amount for their expenses around £2M a year.. and Charles probably helped out after the marriage with start up expenses. however its been said that when they left, he gave Harry money to start up again in America.. but that that was understood to be a one off payment to help him with his new life and that (because C's resources are not limitless) he would have made it clear that that was only during 2020. So I'd guess that he stopped taking H's calls when he found that Harry was ringing up a lot and asking for more money....
I would be very surprised if William and Harry evenly split the money before Harry was married. William would have had more expenses after marrying Catherine and having the children. It's possible that Harry thought that after his marriage, he and William should be treated equally, and I can't believe that William would have objected (it wouldn't have been his money).

However, that would mean that Charles would have to cut back somewhere else, either his and Camilla's expenses or the Duchy's donations to charity. Moreover, the question of how much Harry and Meghan were to receive when Charles ascends probably came up. Then the issue would have been whether Harry would receive more than Charles's siblings (who I don't think would be cut off after the Queen passes away). I suspect that Anne and Andrew do not live on $500,000 per year, but have used their own money to pay some of their expenses. Perhaps during those discussions someone suggested that Meghan could continue working.

My guess is that Harry and Meghan probably got what they wanted. Charles also gave them some seed money when they left the UK. I also read that Charles expected to give them additional money down the line. But when Canada withdrew the offer to pay for their security, Charles balked at paying for round the clock security costs.
  #2177  
Old 03-31-2021, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,470
It would t surprise me if the Sissexes were costing more. Private jets, holidays...although a lot seem to be freebies. Meghan's wardrobe from accounts was more expensive than Kate's.
  #2178  
Old 03-31-2021, 11:44 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
well to be fair to Meghan, she was just starting out as a royal, and would have had to buy a new wardrobe.. And it seems that her friends paid for her baby shower jaunt...
  #2179  
Old 03-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Washington, United States
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
True but possibly if Meghan was freely spending and perhaps saying all the time " why do we get less than your brother, why do we have this poky house i the country while they have a better place " etc.. maybe Harry felt obliged to talk to his dad to get some assurance that he'd be looked after in future years.. and found that Charles was maybe saying "I can't speak for William but I'm sure he'll do right by you"... And when he heard that, he panicked and they started to think "we might be living on the breadline in years to come, if Will doesn't pay up enough".. and that was another factor in their desire to get out. (Having said that I think that Meghan may have always had it in her mind to get out).
Charles has money separate from the Duchy, I would think that Harry can expect to inherit at least half of that. Didn't the Queen Mother leave less money to Charles and William because they would have independent incomes?
  #2180  
Old 03-31-2021, 11:48 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I would be very surprised if William and Harry evenly split the money before Harry was married. William would have had more expenses after marrying Catherine and having the children. It's possible that Harry thought that after his marriage, he and William should be treated equally, and I can't believe that William would have objected (it wouldn't have been his money).



My guess is that Harry and Meghan probably got what they wanted. Charles also gave them some seed money when they left the UK. I also read that Charles expected to give them additional money down the line. But when Canada withdrew the offer to pay for their security, Charles balked at paying for round the clock security costs.
I can't beleive that anyone ever said that Meghan should continue working as an actress because there was no money to pay for her!! Its just silly IMO. She was never going to continue to work as an actress because she was a working royal. The only way something might have been said would be if Harry had said they did not want to be working royals and maybe then it was said "well she'll have to go on acting then because we're not going to pay for her to live, if she's not contributing to the Firm". Even that's unlikely. I'd say that if they had really firmly said "No, we dont want to work as royals" chalres would have helped them out to have a quiet private life in teh UK...
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021 JessRulz Current Events Archive 874 03-07-2021 08:05 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi american american history ancestry archie mountbatten-windsor background story baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen carolin china chinese clarence house commonwealth countries countess of snowdon customs doll dresses duke of sussex earl of snowdon family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf highgrove history hochberg house of windsor imperial household italian royal family jack brooksbank jacobite japan jewellery jewelry king edward vii line of succession list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal jewels pless prince constantijn princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal jewels royalty of taiwan serbian royal family spain sussex swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:52 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×