The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 03:42 AM
Serene Highness

Harry also claimed that he was told that "there was no money for her" so that she would have to keep on working.

I know the family's private wealth is different even from the Duchy money and definitely bigger than the sovereign grant but if that claim had any truth then it should have been obvious that Charles wouldn't be able to indefinitely keep funding a mansion in Montecito with a celebrity philanthropist life to match complete with round the clock security.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:50 AM
Aristocracy

I just realised something, while Meghan was front and centre and Harry was basically a side character on the Oprah interview, it was him who got all these jobs in the US and not her, it feels like these people know that he's the royal one and not her.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Harry also claimed that he was told that "there was no money for her" so that she would have to keep on working.

y.
if there was "No money for her", can Harry explain how Meghan did NOT keep on working as an actress and in fact started to do royal duties as soon as she was married?
Old 03-31-2021, 04:12 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I just realised something, while Meghan was front and centre and Harry was basically a side character on the Oprah interview, it was him who got all these jobs in the US and not her, it feels like these people know that he's the royal one and not her.
Possibly, Meghan has had a hard time getting Harry to realise taht they BOTH have to get some kind of work.. and that he as the long standing royal, is the big draw. I suspect that as people have siad, Harry just thought that he'd go on being funded by Charles, and that somehow more money would come in wihtout his even making a token effort to earn it.. He thinks that he is still charles' responsibility and that Princes dont have to work. Possibly, Meghan was hoping that Harry will now take on some responsibilty adn the interview gave rise to job offers.. so he's been pushed/told he has to take them on....
Old 03-31-2021, 04:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Meghan is pregnant and laying low. Outside of this interview we have rarely seen her. No doubt on purpose. Iím sure she has her own stuff in the works too to be announced with time.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:26 AM
Gentry

I totally believe Meghan let Harry take the jobs which were given due to his status as a Prince which he uses gladly. She's smartly doing so to embiggen him and make him "realise" that William was jealous that Harry is better. She'll join him soon. The hate for Harry landing the jobs is less than it'd be for Meghan and he has credentials of being a Prince and Meghan white smart is not a genius as some make her out to be. Intelligent, smart yeah but also Tiggy-Like, California style. She's even no Amal Clooney.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:45 AM
Royal Highness

Ah - it looks like the truth is slowly coming out
It is all about the money.

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million - I do not know where Prince Charles arrived at the amount. But it seems HM were not happy to be receiving less then WK. Then it appears that they were informed that when Charles becomes King. His income will drop to be in line with what the Queen is currently providing Anne, Edward, the Kents and Gloucesters and Princess Alexander - which appears to be only 500 000 pounds, but their office and travel costs is dealt with differently. William will have the Cornwall estate as his sole income.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...7c37966cdb1c53
I think at this point MH realized that they weren't at all in change of their own fortunes and funds. The emails and meetings with the Queen were about this - that they couldn't be expected to be senior royals at minor royal pay. it seems they wanted a specific amount guaranteed in Charles and William's reign and that didn't work for the palace.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million -

I think at this point MH realized that they weren't at all in change of their own fortunes and funds. The emails and meetings with the Queen were about this - that they couldn't be expected to be senior royals at minor royal pay. it seems they wanted a specific amount guaranteed in Charles and William's reign and that didn't work for the palace.
surprised as my understanding was that teh Duchy accounts showed that between them they got about £5M a year as expenses for their working lifestyle...

[...]
Old 03-31-2021, 08:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Prince Harry was been given 4 million pound from the Duchy of Cornwall, William was receiving 6 million - I do not know where Prince Charles arrived at the amount. But it seems HM were not happy to be receiving less then WK. Then it appears that they were informed that when Charles becomes King. His income will drop to be in line with what the Queen is currently providing Anne, Edward, the Kents and Gloucesters and Princess Alexander - which appears to be only 500 000 pounds, but their office and travel costs is dealt with differently. William will have the Cornwall estate as his sole income.

Thank you Claire for sharing the Herald Sun article.

It's interesting to hear from Daniela Elser's (the author) point of view that the Royal Finances may have some sort of impact on their decision to leave as senior working royals.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Hmm. Surely Harry woudl have a rough idea that his finances were alwasy going to be dependent on his positon in the RF, which is not as high up as Williams. I would doubt that when Will was king, he would keep his brother on a pittance..
Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I would doubt that when Will was king, he would keep his brother on a pittance..
Before, I would have doubted that. After Meghan threw Kate under the bus and Harry told the world (or maybe just Meghan) about his "unproductive" phone call with William... Well, Harry had better hope Charles inherited the Queen's and Philip's longevity genes.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

I know the family's private wealth is different even from the Duchy money and definitely bigger than the sovereign grant but if that claim had any truth then it should have been obvious that Charles wouldn't be able to indefinitely keep funding a mansion in Montecito with a celebrity philanthropist life to match complete with round the clock security.
I've heard that Charles was incredibly generous to M & H during their time with the RF.

Staff were staggered by the amount of money they were spending, and told Charles he couldn't hope to fund them on that scale forever, but Charles would just order them to pay the bills.

(They were spending much more than the Cambridges).
Old 03-31-2021, 09:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
Before, I would have doubted that. After Meghan threw Kate under the bus and Harry told the world (or maybe just Meghan) about his "unproductive" phone call with William... Well, Harry had better hope Charles inherited the Queen's and Philip's longevity genes.
Possibly now.. but not back when they were working royals. Im sure that William would be conscious of his brothers needs and there woudl be a fair allowance from teh Duchy for his work expenses.. and probably a private allowance. But he wouldn't be as rich as William...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I've heard that Charles was incredibly generous to M & H during their time with the RF.

Staff were staggered by the amount of money they were spending, and told Charles he couldn't hope to fund them on that scale forever, but Charles would just order them to pay the bills.

(They were spending much more than the Cambridges).
where have you heard this? I would be surprised unless Charles was being induglent as they were newly married and he wanted Harry to be happy. But Charles is sensible about money.. so I would have said that he would be generous enough but not foolish...I thought that both Will and Harry were getting around the same amount for their expenses around £2M a year.. and Charles probably helped out after the marriage with start up expenses. however its been said that when they left, he gave Harry money to start up again in America.. but that that was understood to be a one off payment to help him with his new life and that (because C's resources are not limitless) he would have made it clear that that was only during 2020. So I'd guess that he stopped taking H's calls when he found that Harry was ringing up a lot and asking for more money....
Old 03-31-2021, 11:28 AM
Serene Highness

[...]

I would have thought that Anne and Edward would get far more than the Kents and Gloucesters, just because they carry out more engagements, but I don't know. If office and travel costs are dealt with differently, presumably the total amounts they get are higher.

Again, it's just the way things are. If my family had zillions of pounds (if only!!) and my sister was getting a lot more than me, I wouldn't be very pleased, but we're not royalty or aristocracy. Is it fair that Charles Spencer got the Althorp estate and Sarah, Jane and Diana didn't? Is it fair that Prince Charles gets the money from the Duchy of Cornwall and Anne, Andrew and Edward don't? It's just the way it goes. None of them are exactly on the breadline. Would anyone here sneeze at being given £4 million, or even £500,000?! Surely he must have realised that he wouldn't get the same as William.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
[...]

I would have thought that Anne and Edward would get far more than the Kents and Gloucesters, just because they carry out more engagements, but I don't know. If office and travel costs are dealt with differently, presumably the total amounts they get are higher.

Again, it's just the way things are. If my family had zillions of pounds (if only!!) and my sister was getting a lot more than me, I wouldn't be very pleased, but we're not royalty or aristocracy. Is it fair that Charles Spencer got the Althorp estate and Sarah, Jane and Diana didn't? Is it fair that Prince Charles gets the money from the Duchy of Cornwall and Anne, Andrew and Edward don't? It's just the way it goes. None of them are exactly on the breadline. Would anyone here sneeze at being given £4 million, or even £500,000?! Surely he must have realised that he wouldn't get the same as William.
True but possibly if Meghan was freely spending and perhaps saying all the time " why do we get less than your brother, why do we have this poky house i the country while they have a better place " etc.. maybe Harry felt obliged to talk to his dad to get some assurance that he'd be looked after in future years.. and found that Charles was maybe saying "I can't speak for William but I'm sure he'll do right by you"... And when he heard that, he panicked and they started to think "we might be living on the breadline in years to come, if Will doesn't pay up enough".. and that was another factor in their desire to get out. (Having said that I think that Meghan may have always had it in her mind to get out).
Old 03-31-2021, 11:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
where have you heard this? I would be surprised unless Charles was being induglent as they were newly married and he wanted Harry to be happy. But Charles is sensible about money.. so I would have said that he would be generous enough but not foolish...I thought that both Will and Harry were getting around the same amount for their expenses around £2M a year.. and Charles probably helped out after the marriage with start up expenses. however its been said that when they left, he gave Harry money to start up again in America.. but that that was understood to be a one off payment to help him with his new life and that (because C's resources are not limitless) he would have made it clear that that was only during 2020. So I'd guess that he stopped taking H's calls when he found that Harry was ringing up a lot and asking for more money....
I would be very surprised if William and Harry evenly split the money before Harry was married. William would have had more expenses after marrying Catherine and having the children. It's possible that Harry thought that after his marriage, he and William should be treated equally, and I can't believe that William would have objected (it wouldn't have been his money).

However, that would mean that Charles would have to cut back somewhere else, either his and Camilla's expenses or the Duchy's donations to charity. Moreover, the question of how much Harry and Meghan were to receive when Charles ascends probably came up. Then the issue would have been whether Harry would receive more than Charles's siblings (who I don't think would be cut off after the Queen passes away). I suspect that Anne and Andrew do not live on $500,000 per year, but have used their own money to pay some of their expenses. Perhaps during those discussions someone suggested that Meghan could continue working.

My guess is that Harry and Meghan probably got what they wanted. Charles also gave them some seed money when they left the UK. I also read that Charles expected to give them additional money down the line. But when Canada withdrew the offer to pay for their security, Charles balked at paying for round the clock security costs.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:40 AM
Serene Highness

It would t surprise me if the Sissexes were costing more. Private jets, holidays...although a lot seem to be freebies. Meghan's wardrobe from accounts was more expensive than Kate's.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:44 AM
Majesty

well to be fair to Meghan, she was just starting out as a royal, and would have had to buy a new wardrobe.. And it seems that her friends paid for her baby shower jaunt...
Old 03-31-2021, 11:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
True but possibly if Meghan was freely spending and perhaps saying all the time " why do we get less than your brother, why do we have this poky house i the country while they have a better place " etc.. maybe Harry felt obliged to talk to his dad to get some assurance that he'd be looked after in future years.. and found that Charles was maybe saying "I can't speak for William but I'm sure he'll do right by you"... And when he heard that, he panicked and they started to think "we might be living on the breadline in years to come, if Will doesn't pay up enough".. and that was another factor in their desire to get out. (Having said that I think that Meghan may have always had it in her mind to get out).
Charles has money separate from the Duchy, I would think that Harry can expect to inherit at least half of that. Didn't the Queen Mother leave less money to Charles and William because they would have independent incomes?
Old 03-31-2021, 11:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I would be very surprised if William and Harry evenly split the money before Harry was married. William would have had more expenses after marrying Catherine and having the children. It's possible that Harry thought that after his marriage, he and William should be treated equally, and I can't believe that William would have objected (it wouldn't have been his money).

My guess is that Harry and Meghan probably got what they wanted. Charles also gave them some seed money when they left the UK. I also read that Charles expected to give them additional money down the line. But when Canada withdrew the offer to pay for their security, Charles balked at paying for round the clock security costs.
I can't beleive that anyone ever said that Meghan should continue working as an actress because there was no money to pay for her!! Its just silly IMO. She was never going to continue to work as an actress because she was a working royal. The only way something might have been said would be if Harry had said they did not want to be working royals and maybe then it was said "well she'll have to go on acting then because we're not going to pay for her to live, if she's not contributing to the Firm". Even that's unlikely. I'd say that if they had really firmly said "No, we dont want to work as royals" chalres would have helped them out to have a quiet private life in teh UK...

Closed Thread