The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
This is an interesting debate. How do other royal families do this? Maybe we should have a thread on royal ethics?

I wonder if there's a British/non British difference here?
To the best of my knowledge, royals who hold jobs outside of the monarchy in the Netherlands, Sweden, Belgium, Norway, Spain and Luxembourg do not use their royal titles professionally. In Denmark, however, Prince Nikolai does use his royal title for his modeling work.

We might take further discussion to this thread:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ls-2834-7.html

Old 12-17-2020, 03:44 PM
Serene Highness

I think Beatrice goes as "Beatrice York". And didn't Sophie still go as "Sophie Rhys-Jones" when she was running her PR company?

Old 12-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess_Watcher View Post
All of a sudden, there are articles "Harry would have left the Royal family w/o Meghan" what a load of crock? I mean he never looked unhappy before! Why would he had left? It's sad, his life will now be behind a boring podcast.

He has left his friends, his family and the only home he ever known for a woman he hasn't even know for 5 years. Didn't they meet in 2016, married in 2018? Very sad.
Because he publicly (links have been posted before here) stated he thought about leaving more than once (more than one interview).

America is not Mars. With Zoom and phones, planes etc you can easily stay in touch with friends and family.

He was in the military for years not living at home. I think a grown man in his 30s can handle moving away ...men all over the world do this for jobs and relationships and no one thinks anything about it.

LaRae
Old 12-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
I knew after their podcast that they would find themselves in hot water.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...musicians.html
Why are Harry and Meghan the ones 'in hot water' when Shaw is quite clearly blasting Spotify for paying the Sussexes (and it should be pointed out, countless other people in the public eye, like the Obamas) millions, and musicians hardly anything?

Naturally the Fail would leap on these remarks. Anything negative with regard to the Sussexes and that tabloid is onto it like a rat up a drainpipe. Of course it is inherently unfair. However so are many other things in life and the Sussexes, and all the others Spotify pay big money to in their contracts, are not responsible for this business's arrangements with others they employ.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:57 PM
Courtier

As to the discussion upthread about Harry using the Mountbatton-Windsor name I remember when he was in the military he was "Harry Wales".
Old 12-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Serene Highness

To be fair, neither Sandie Shaw nor the Mail were criticising Harry and Meghan directly - they were saying, as the article points out, that Spotify pays most of the artists whose music it streams next to nothing, to the extent that the Government is looking into the streaming industry. No-one's blaming Harry and Meghan for this. It just doesn't look very good, when the investigation was set up only a couple of months ago. And, again to be fair, it's not just Spotify: it's all the other streaming services.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I think Beatrice goes as "Beatrice York".
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
As to the discussion upthread about Harry using the Mountbatton-Windsor name I remember when he was in the military he was "Harry Wales".

Yes, as that is the ordinary practice for British royalty and peers. I will repost my explanation from an old thread:

The traditional ways of the British royal family and the British peerage make a distinction between social and legal use.

When a surname is required in daily life, a royal or a peer traditionally uses their territorial designation as their surname. The then Prince William of Wales used William Wales at school and in the military.

When a surname is required in official paperwork, a royal or a peer traditionally uses their family name as their surname. Princess Anne used Mountbatten-Windsor on her marriage register. Surnames in official paperwork are, in fact, rarely required for peers and royals, but when required, their family name is their official name.

And a poster here compiled a list of present day British peers who apparently follow this norm: https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2220180

For those interested in the matter, there are dedicated threads for British titles and for the surname(s) of the British royal family:

Windsor/Mountbatten-Windsor: Name of Royal House and Surname
Questions about British Styles and Titles
Old 12-17-2020, 06:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Now he has his own peerage it would no longer make sense to use 'Wales' as informal surname. Sussex would now be the logical equivalent.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Majesty

Yes peers generally use their territorial designation. Harry has apparently never used Mountbatten-Windsor to sign anything. He and William aways tended to sign things using their Christian names.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

(I hope that this is the appropriate thread as many of the others in the Sussex forum are now locked.)

Back in 2012 Meghan Markle appeared in Richard Marx's Christmas video with two of her "Suits" cast members and a few other celebrities. You can spot her around minute 2:12.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/ente...video/2638487/

Quote:
In the video for the single, titled "Christmas Spirit," Markle wears a red Santa hat while sitting at a table and lip-syncing the song with her "Suits" co-stars Rick Hoffman and Sarah Rafferty. According to The Sun, Marx, who rose to fame in the '80s, is friends with Hoffman and asked him to make an appearance in the video, and the actor then persuaded the actresses to join him.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:16 AM
Serene Highness

YouGov did a poll on how interested are the surveyed British public on Harry & Meghan's Spotify podcasts. This was conducted on 17th December with 5775 British adults being asked with the question "Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan have announced that they have signed a multi-year deal with Spotify to host and produce exclusive podcasts. How interested are you, if at all, in listening to this?"

The overall response percentages are
I am very interested: 2%
I am fairly interested: 5%
I am not very interested: 12%
I am not interested at all: 77%
Don’t know: 4%
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_1

Across all the categories (Region, gender, politics, age and social grade), the response have been quite consistent. Yes, there might be some variability, but I don't think there is one particular group (i.e. Rest of South, Conservative voter, aged 65+) that is significantly pulling up or down on the overall percentage.

Based on this results, it would not surprise me if Harry & Meghan's podcast are less likely to be targeting British audiences
Old 12-18-2020, 03:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Why are Harry and Meghan the ones 'in hot water' when Shaw is quite clearly blasting Spotify for paying the Sussexes (and it should be pointed out, countless other people in the public eye, like the Obamas) millions, and musicians hardly anything?

Naturally the Fail would leap on these remarks. Anything negative with regard to the Sussexes and that tabloid is onto it like a rat up a drainpipe. Of course it is inherently unfair. However so are many other things in life and the Sussexes, and all the others Spotify pay big money to in their contracts, are not responsible for this business's arrangements with others they employ.

Well, it was painfully obvious that the reason why they got paid millions is because of their royal titles, can you imagine them getting that much money if they were simply Harry and Meghan Smith? I think they should follow the example of the York girls, I remember they were known simply as Beatrice York and Eugenie York while they were working.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Well, it was painfully obvious that the reason why they got paid millions is because of their royal titles, can you imagine them getting that much money if they were simply Harry and Meghan Smith? I think they should follow the example of the York girls, I remember they were known simply as Beatrice York and Eugenie York while they were working.
Like the York girls Harry and Meghan do use their names for business. They can't use their titles.

People don't have amnesia. They aren't going to forget who Harry is if he goes by Harry Mountbatten. Meghan was a known actress and charity spokeswoman before she ever married him. They could change their name to smith and it would be no different.

As for the Yorks, when they were working? They still do.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Like the York girls Harry and Meghan do use their names for business. They can't use their titles.

People don't have amnesia. They aren't going to forget who Harry is if he goes by Harry Mountbatten. Meghan was a known actress and charity spokeswoman before she ever married him. They could change their name to smith and it would be no different.

Noone's expecting people to "forget who they are". But most Americans wouldn't know, if they heard there was a podcast from Harry Mountbatten Windsor... who was doing it and would probably not be interested. What got them this deal is the fact that they are the Duke nad Duchess of Sussex which alerts people to the fact that they are related to the queen...
And Meghan wasn't a well known actress. She was in Suits, which wasn't all that popular a series.. and a few TV movies. Without Harry she wouldn't be at all well known.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:55 AM
Majesty

Sandie Shaw wasn't criticising the Sussexes for anything, so they were not in 'hot water'. Her beef was with the company and how IT chooses to operate towards musicians and singers. So the inference that the couple were in trouble of any kind is false.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

There was some controversy where someone on an US television station used their titles - I think it was Gail, Oprah's friend - the DM went nuts over it. But as long as they aren't competing with the royal family or doing something political or embarrassing I don't see a problem. I agree Meghan's fame before she met Harry is greatly exaggerated. I think her wealth must be too unless she got a lot in the divorce. She is famous now for being Harry's wife, not an actress from Suits. She wouldn't have been given millions to make shows for Netflix if she were just Meghan from Suits.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan wasn’t an A List actress by any means but she was on a popular cable show that was on for almost a decade. She was a public figure. She had a successful career. How people take that is up to them but doesn’t change that fact.

Of course she was thrust into global stardom due to Harry. All the significant others of the royals are to s degree. Who knew Kate before William? Heck who knew Diana? They weren’t woman you could easily look up. Meghan though you could research her name and plenty would pop up because, again, she was already a public figure.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
There was some controversy where someone on an US television station used their titles - I think it was Gail, Oprah's friend - the DM went nuts over it. But as long as they aren't competing with the royal family or doing something political or embarrassing I don't see a problem. I agree Meghan's fame before she met Harry is greatly exaggerated. I think her wealth must be too unless she got a lot in the divorce. She is famous now for being Harry's wife, not an actress from Suits. She wouldn't have been given millions to make shows for Netflix if she were just Meghan from Suits.
They can't compete with the RF.. but they are trying to be seen still as "royals doing the things that royals traditionally do" like going to a military cemetery - in November.
And yes of course she's not that famous. There are lots of actresses who had a supporting role in a series or 2.. and once the series is over, they're not "public figures".
Old 12-18-2020, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Once Suits was over she might not have worked again. Or she could have landed another series, play, etc and kept having a low key but successful acting career. We will never know because while she was on her current show (which was many seasons in at that point) she met Harry and her life completely changed.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Once Suits was over she might not have worked again. Or she could have landed another series, play, etc and kept having a low key but successful acting career. We will never know because while she was on her current show (which was many seasons in at that point) she met Harry and her life completely changed.
the point being.. She was not well known. Until she started dating Harry, if you'd asked an American "who is Meghan Markle", they probably would not know unless they were Suits fans.

Closed Thread