Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 6: August-November 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But my friend, :flowers: this is the interesting section, IMO.
How can a police officer prove that I was using my hands-free or mobile?
If you drive badly and a police officer suspects you have been using your phone he can stop you and seek a reason for the poor driving. If it goes to court your phone records can be checked to determine whether you were using your phone.

When is a driver allowed to use a hand-held phone?
There is an exception for calls to 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency where it would be unsafe or impractical to stop

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it can be difficult to prove but my point was really to say to anyone that is saying it is ridiculous or unfair to fine someone for doing this - what really matters is that they are trying to prevent road deaths and for me that is number one priority.
Actually I doubt that they will have much success but the idea of preventing road deaths is commendable.

I agree 100%. If they can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was talking whilst driving, she needs to be dealt with appropriately. Most people seem to be ignoring the ban, unfortunately.

Can we say that Kate has (inadvertently) "raised awareness" of this issue, or is it still six months in Holloway? :D

Can we say that Kate has (inadvertently) "raised awareness" of this issue, or is it still six months in Holloway? :D

Warren you should coin a special medal for her!

I am genuinely astounded at the indignant furour over Kate's flagrant use of a cellphone whilst driving a car. It seems everyone is turning themselves inside out to find an "acceptable" reason to defend the indefensible.

She was snapped doing the crime (or misdemeanor), and whilst I am aware that burglary, rape and murder investigations are the preferred preoccupation of the local Constabulary, try telling that to the mother of a small child or the child of a mother killed by a "distracted" driver.

Whether we admit it or not, statistically it is the "soft" (why don't you go catch a murderer") crimes that make up the bulk of police work. The shopkeeper who calls the Police when someone shoplifts a chocolate bar, or the petrol station owner who reports someone driving off without paying for $75 of petrol, those are the small things that can break a small business and destroy a lifestyle, if not a life. They are the small things that add up to indifference . . . it was only a chocolate bar, a tank of petrol, 10 kilometers over the limit, but everyone does it so what's the big deal.

The big deal is that Kate broke the law and should get a fine and demerit points. That is what the law is for . . . . to protect ordinary, decent people just going about their lives. More people are killed and maimed on the road than by the average homicidal maniac!

Good grief! Take a reality check! The most that can happen to her is that she gets the legal version of a "clip round the ear" and a stern admonishment to not do it again. Which, because she is a high profile personality, should serve as a cautionary reminder that noone is above the law. And that icludes the Wales boys driving without their seatbelts!

She was snapped doing the crime (or misdemeanor),
The big deal is that Kate broke the law and should get a fine and demerit points. That is what the law is for . . . . to protect ordinary, decent people just going about their lives.

I don't think it is clear from the pictures that she was indeed navigating public streets when talking on the phone. Or if she was, who she called. Because if she felt threatened by the paps and called the police, it would be perfectly legal.

I see with interest how the Mail sztopped printing new comments and shortened the article as much as possible on taking out a lot of pre-judgmental phrases, how the pics have disappeared from the agencies, how the quotes from the police can be interpreted in two ways, how the reporting stopped about the topic.

There's something going on behind the scenes and I wonder why if all is so absolutely clear. Of course, if Catherine drove and talked without a hands-free unit, she should be fined. nobody thinks otherwise. Quite some people here only question the evidence that she did in fact transgressed.

I am genuinely astounded at the indignant furour over Kate's flagrant use of a cellphone whilst driving a car. It seems everyone is turning themselves inside out to find an "acceptable" reason to defend the indefensible.
The big deal is that Kate broke the law and should get a fine and demerit points. That is what the law is for . . . . to protect ordinary, decent people just going about their lives. More people are killed and maimed on the road than by the average homicidal maniac!
However, we have nothing to prove or say she had not stopped her car, at the side of a quiet road, to make or receive such a call, as 100's of law abiding citizens do every hour.

If it can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that she was moving i.e driving and therefore broke the law, the police will deal with it in an appropriate manner, but they have as little as we have (AFAWK).:flowers:

However, we have nothing to prove or say she had not stopped her car, at the side of a quiet road, to make or receive such a call, as 100's of law abiding citizens do every hour.
Just so. I am willing to wait the slow wheels of justice, guilty or innocent. But, I am also willing to bet that a ticket could only be issued if there was an actual witness, that is to say, the photographer, and I don't see him/her "outing" themselves. :whistling:

. . . . . (AFAWK).:flowers:[/quote]Huh? Translation please. I am suffering from advanced brain fade just the now! :lol:

AFAWK translates into As Far As We Know. It's amazing how all the photos from Belga Pictures disappeared so fast. Very interesting development. Will just have to wait for the next installment. :)

I didn't catch the Belga pics. Can someone explain them to me? Where they different from the ones in the Daily Mail?

I didn't catch the Belga pics. Can someone explain them to me? Where they different from the ones in the Daily Mail?

The first two showed a compliation of 4 pics each which showed Catherine Middleton in her car in a two lane countryroad coming around the corner and approaching the place where the photographer must have stood. In the last three she covers her eyes with her hands and the pics were dubbed "Kate's blind drive" or "Kate's blind flight"something like that. That's where I started thinking about her having been blinded by something because I doubt she would act that way when just spotted by a photographer. The last pic showed the pics printed in the papers. :flowers:

It does seem like (and even the DM says) she was driving on a country lane, and apparently slowly, probably inching along. Yeah, like someone already said, jail time would only apply if she caused an accident, and since that is obviously not the case.... if she was "caught" by a police, there would be a fine. But she was "caught" by paparazzi, who take their own kind of tax. :)

Goodness,:flowers: Belfast isn't the only major city. London, Manchester, Sheffield, Cheltenham, everywhere you go, stand in the busiest street and count, if you can, the amount of drivers with a phone in their ear.:flowers: The M1, M4 and M6 are just as packed with mobile users, perhaps the police would like to concentrate on them!
Other people go out murder, rape and steal that doesn't mean that I should use others "standards" for my own.

About a quarter of all accidents are caused by motorists using their mobiles so it is a serious problem.

The press association agreed when it retained it's self policing agreement, that no pictures would be taken or published of Kate at anything other than a public outing, where she could reasonably be expected to be photographed. The fact that a photographer/innocent bystander took photographs of her when she was engaged in a private moment, constitutes not only a breach of the PA agreement, but a case of stalking! To suggest that the photographer just happened to be in the vicinty of her home and just happened to have his camera at thr ready, strains the bounds of reality.
Unfortunately the PA agreement cannot bind freelance snappers which apparantly are the most determined and it only really covers the publication of the pictures as you are entitled to photograph within the public domain unless your actions interfere with people conducting their buisness (personal and or private) or are found to be in some way threatening. Freelance pictures of her are still sold in other countries also so while the British media may not print them regularly they are still out there.

Other people go out murder, rape and steal that doesn't mean that I should use others "standards" for my own..
Thee and me seem to have serious problems understanding what the other said or meant. This was my reply to another poster-
Goodness,:flowers: Belfast isn't the only major city. London, Manchester, Sheffield, Cheltenham, everywhere you go, stand in the busiest street and count, if you can, the amount of drivers with a phone in their ear.:flowers: The M1, M4 and M6 are just as packed with mobile users, perhaps the police would like to concentrate on them
My reference to the Mways, are because of the vast difference in speed, from 0 (AFAWK) in Kate's case to 80+ on the motorways. Even in the cities, which is the comment crm2317 posted it is a regular occurence to see people using their mobiles, Black Cab drivers, van drivers, office workers, the list is endless, if I had time I could stand in Oxford Street, Piccadilly Circus, Regent Street, etc and try to count the number of people driving with their phones glued to their ear, I would have an easier time counting those without.

No where does it suggest that either of us think that it is OK, merely that it is the norm and nowhere does it suggest that you use standards, other than your own, when running your own life. :ermm::whistling:

Unfortunately the PA agreement cannot bind freelance snappers which apparantly are the most determined and it only really covers the publication of the pictures as you are entitled to photograph within the public domain unless your actions interfere with people conducting their buisness (personal and or private) or are found to be in some way threatening. Freelance pictures of her are still sold in other countries also so while the British media may not print them regularly they are still out there.
yes, I hadn't thought about that. I tend to think it covers all the paparrazzi, employed by the media here or not. I did read that many councils are/have brought in bylaws to stop photographers using someones picture, without their express permission. I recall the performance of a 'social' photographer being threatened with arrest earlier this year.:flowers:

There seems to be less tolerance of the harrassment of people by the press however if they are doing something that is of genuine interest to the public (like breaking a law) it is considered acceptable to publish so I dont think the photographer will get into trouble (for all those who hope he will be done for stalking) Hello recently printed an apology for publishing photographs of Chelsy Davies and her mother as they were 'taken in a manner deemed threatening and caused distress' but I cant see that happening in this particular story. I must confess I think it was a silly thing to do with so much media attention on her but I have done it myself I must admit (not in England) The RF has survived worse than this and if she hopes to join it she will have much worse press stories written in her life.

There seems to be less tolerance of the harrassment of people by the press however if they are doing something that is of genuine interest to the public (like breaking a law) it is considered acceptable to publish so I dont think the photographer will get into trouble (for all those who hope he will be done for stalking) Hello recently printed an apology for publishing photographs of Chelsy Davies and her mother as they were 'taken in a manner deemed threatening and caused distress' but I cant see that happening in this particular story. I must confess I think it was a silly thing to do with so much media attention on her but I have done it myself I must admit (not in England) The RF has survived worse than this and if she hopes to join it she will have much worse press stories written in her life.

This is quite true.....IF she is to join the family she will have to deal with the press 24/7 and it could be much worst. But she will most likely share a publicist with William and/or a driver/bodyguard. But here is the thing she is not part of the royal family as of yet...so she should be afforded some type of privacy.
I don't think anyone is saying that the girl should get off scot free. If she broke the law, and charges are filed, than she will have to deal with it. What seems to be the problem (at least in my eyes) that it does appear (not stated as fact) that the photographer didn't just happen to be on the country road. They were looking for Kate or someone well known to take and sell a picture. That is my issue. To play's devil's advocate..Kate is not new in the relationship...she should always be on her guard and not give the press any ammunition.

IMO if she did indeed break the law, she should 'fess up and pay the fine--otherwise the perception will be that she "got away with it" because she's William's girlfriend.

I think we have learned along the way that cell phone use while driving is a little hazardous. It was not actually taboo to talk and drive when originally cell phones were produced. We've learned along the way that talking and driving is a bad mix. Reading here I find that we may be overexerting on a malady that needs no more than a small penalty. Yet to be honest I was impressed and liked that people care for an opinion on the matter and want to express their say. I've used a cell phone while driving and realized in all earnest that there is a danger momentarily losing track of what's going on. I won't burden Kate as I'm sure it's been relayed that it is worthy of concern and something unlawful as of late. Very interesting how the camera found her. It almost seemed like she was in a remote place. Bless her if she's been scolded. And I must say she looks very pretty. Nice car too.

There have been so many cases of children (and adults) being killed by someone who was just momentarily distracted while making a phone call. The photos of those little children are haunting, one that I can remember was in his push chair, the person on the phone if I remember rightly ran up on the footpath. I am sorry if some of you think that this is a minor offense, I don´t.
Drinking and driving, is that a minor offense? The results unfortunately can be exactly the same and if someone is killed they are exactly the same. Talking on the phone holding a handset can mean the death of someone innocent, even a member of your family. I will wait and see if the police say anything about this case but if she was using her phone and driving, I hope that her being the girlfriend of Prince William will not be taken into account.
Whether she was being harassed or not has nothing to do with it, if she was actually in a stationary car, well that is another question.

There have been so many cases of children (and adults) being killed by someone who was just momentarily distracted while making a phone call. The photos of those little children are haunting, one that I can remember was in his push chair, the person on the phone if I remember rightly ran up on the footpath. I am sorry if some of you think that this is a minor offense, I don´t.
Drinking and driving, is that a minor offense? T

No, it isn't. But you can't judge in general, that's why there is a variety of charges possible depending on the earnestness of the situation. If somebody phones and causes an accident with manslaughter, of course this person will not be charged with a simple road transgression but faces jail and rightly so.

But I think this is not the place to speculate of what should be had Catherine killed someone - because she didn't kill anyone.

Otherwise you must say that anyone starting to drive a car could possibly be involved in an accident and start to discuss if driving should be forbidden. Sure, the probability of causing an accident is much higher when phoning but that's why driving is allowed while phoning while driving is considered an offense after all. Please, take this photo opportunity in perspective. Nothing happened which is proven by an investigation, noone was hurt, at the moment it's just claims by papers who want to sell copies.

I think it has been made clear that no one her thinks that phoning while driving without a headset is the best thing you can do. We all agree that it's dangerous, in some countries illegal and should be best avoided. Where's the sense of discussing that topic again and again other than to repeat accussations against a young lady who has a right to be judged innocent till her guilt has been established by police or court.

I figure enough has been said about the mobile phone pictures on to the next story. You can chose between two versions:

Exclusive pics: Prince William spends the night getting Dirrty with Christina Aguilera and Paris Hilton - mirror.co.uk

Oh dear, he WILL be in trouble when Kate Middleton finds out her Prince Charming spent the night getting Dirrty with two showgirls.
We watched Prince William snuggle up to pop star Christina Aguilera and socialite Paris Hilton in the VIP room at Whisky Mist in London’s Mayfair...
After a bit of wrangling, Christina, 27, gave the nod and Wills was in.
Poor Jordan hardly got a look in as the pair sat very close, swapping numbers and flirting outrageously.
Harry scarpered and when Wills returned he was not amused to find Paris holding court at his table.
She tried to cosy up to him on the couch and he even turned his shoulder and started talking to a mystery blonde on his right. But when that girl went to the loo, Paris moved in.
We were about to rush to William’s rescue, then we saw they were swapping phone numbers. Xtina who? And, more importantly, Kate who?

and
Staggering! Wills & Co splash the cash and party till the early hours with Paris Hilton | Mail Online

Singer Christina Aguilera and perpetual party girl Paris Hilton were also at the club in Mayfair, downing champagne.
Miss Hilton apparently did her best to attract a prince, but to no avail.
Prince William chatted with her only briefly before walking away and Harry tried to ignore her sexy dance, according to witnesses - a good thing too, as his girlfriend Chelsy Davy was there.

What a tacky cowardly way to behave if this is how he is sending a message to Kate.
I think his behaviour shows their relationship is now doomed .. if not what a way to treat someone (Kate) so disrespectfully. Unlike others here I do feel sorry for Kate no one would want to be treated like that NO-ONE. I don't feel Kate has asked for this when she has loyally stood by William.

I think William is a JOKE and has never grown up apart from being Prince William he has nothing whatever going for him even as an ordinary guy ... he has no substance as a person. Move on Kate you are better than him! If he is however still with her this conduct does not show much loyalty towards her with this behaviour. I so wish I was his girlfriend I would DUMP HIM in the BLINK OF AN EYE. No I don't know him personally but his actions speak volumes about his character.

If I am alone in this opinion ... so be it!

You are not alone - I have felt this way about him for many years now.

Thee and me seem to have serious problems understanding what the other said or meant.

No where does it suggest that either of us think that it is OK, merely that it is the norm and nowhere does it suggest that you use standards, other than your own, when running your own life. :ermm::whistling:
Other posters, yourself included, have insinuated in previous posts that because lots of people drivce and talk on their mobiles at the same time it's not such a big deal. My point was that other people do lots of things and that just because somebody else breaks the law without getting caught isn't an excuse for what Kate did.

William looks like a moron in these pictures ... there is absolutely no difference anymore between him and all the other rich and famestruck celebrity kids like Lily Allen, the Dellal siblings, Jagger kids ... an endless list. The thought he is supposed to be Head of State one day makes me shudder ... long live the Queen and after that, long live the King!

What a tacky cowardly way to behave if this is how he is sending a message to Kate.
I think his behaviour shows their relationship is now doomed ..!

Maybe you should say first which version of the story you have decided to believe in? Maybe even explain why you believe one and not the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom