Prince Harry Current Events 24: May 2009-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a pilot sure seems to run in the family. ;) Even Prince Charles was a helicopter pilot at one point.

True. Charles did have a pilot's license, although I don't think he does anymore.
I wish Harry all the best with his endeavors.

Okay, I had to look those up. I am glad they (Apache's) have two engines. Russo's eldest works on Black Hawks and they have 2 engines as well. Russo got "The Call" once that "An Incident" had happened when her son was stationed in Afghanistan. Seems a Kiowa went down. They have 1 engine and Russo's son says that he would NEVER fly them, the engine goes out you are toast. Keeping Prince Harry strictly to the 2 engine helicopters is an excellent plan--or should be!

William and Harry are the third generation of royal men to have helicopter licenses as Philip, Charles and Andrew all earned them while serving in the Navy.

Philip and Charles also had fixed wing pilot's licenses as did George VI (got his in 1919) so the royal tradition of qualified pilot's extends back over 90 years.

Wow, that's impressive!

They must have some interesting chats when they all get together, the younger generation of pilots and the elder ones. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming they talk about flying I am sure that they do have interesting discussions. Philip, Andrew and Harry could also talk about war experiences but William and Charles didn't/don't have that experience (George VI of course served in the RN during WWI and fought at the Battle of Jutland so would also have been able to join the discussion).

The "just cruising" high school mode is not uncommon for really bright but unchallenged or unfocused kids as well as tossers striving to drop out or be kicked out. Judging the way Harry has shaped up in the Army I belive he definitely falls into the unfocused group. :ermm:

So far he has passed his Sandhurst course, qualified as an Officer in the field of war, earned the respect of his peers, passed basic flying, shows promise as perhaps a "Natural" pilot and, despite his self depricating statement that he didn't have the brain capacity to fly an Apache, he may yet. :cool:

If the naysayers had been believed, he did not pass his A or O Levels (or whatever they call them there) on his own but had sneaky phantom exam sitters and was barely literate. As for geography, well if it didn't have a Polo field and clubs it just wasn't on the map? Well let's face it, he was not a prodigy, just a normal kid. :bang:

I, for one, will be chuffed if he does qualify despite the added external pressures and stresses of being "The Spare" with his very own jeering section (and what very Royal special treatment that is), but even if he doesn't, he will still be flying helicopters and thats a damned sight more than any of the euro/journo/trash can say. :D

Up there you are on your own. No one else can fly it for him, nor indeed would they, because, let's face it, at our most cynical, we know someone would pot him for not being the real deal. And I am not talking about being a Prince! :doh:

ps: When the family get together if they run out of war stories they can always default to Polo. :whistling:

Good post MARG! Whichever helicopter he ends up flying will be a wonderful accomplishment and something to be proud of.

My own brother was a bright kid who had no interest in or patience with academic school work. He was in school from '71 to '83 and didn't graduate but has done fairly well in spite of that. So I think that what you say about Prince Harry is quite possibly true.

The "just cruising" high school mode is not uncommon for really bright but unchallenged or unfocused kids as well as tossers striving to drop out or be kicked out. Judging the way Harry has shaped up in the Army I belive he definitely falls into the unfocused group. :ermm:

:previous: Perhaps I should have used the past tense. "Judging the way Harry has shaped up in the Army I belive he definitely fell into the unfocused group. ;)

As he had to repeat the final year of school before going to Eton to have a chance to pass the entrance test and as he was the last student in his class at Eton (and even according to him not just bottom of the class but bottom of the school) he had some difficulties at school but...entrance to Eton is academically competitive and therefore getting in shows brains to start with.

Here in NSW we have a series of schools that are academically selective and having taught kids who have been the bottom of those schools and finding them to tops at my comprehensive I would assume that Harry was bright but compared to William not as bright but certainly brighter than many in his cohort but the bottom of his class at his school - not the same as bottom of his cohort across the country.

Many kids find school boring and when doing what they want excel. Many also find the demands of school difficult but find the courses with a practical application easier to master - and this is what flying is - theory with practice and when tested on the theory can answer the questions based on the practical experience. My sister-in-law passed nursing that way but claims that she wouldn't be able to become a nurse today as they have to pass too much theory before hitting the wards and thus she wouldn't pass the initial theory but when she did it they were on the wards on the second day of training and basically learnt how to do something theoretically and then applied it daily on the wards before being examined on it. This is what is happening to Harry and it suits his learning style.

Harry strikes me as an "action" person. He could very well have been unfocused when he was younger (as many young people are) but especially because I think he gets bored easily. He probably learns better by doing something and applying what he's learned rather than just reading (studying) about it.

Prince Harry is not a Celebrity he is ROYALTY. :bang::bang:

Unfortunately, as far as some people and the press are concerned, the line of demarcation is getting less visible all the time. Royal articles often appear under the "entertainment" section of media outlets.:bang::bang:

There is a difference is there?
Since the 1980s I don't think there has been - royals are just celebrities born to their position but they are celebrities none the less - nothing more and nothing less and they encourage that status with their interviews and actions etc.

Well it's the nature of the beast isn't it? By definition a celebrity is someone who is well known. So basically anyone in the public eye can be considered a celebrity including politicians.
Perhaps it's more appropriate to say Harry isn't an entertainer. ;) :)

Daily Star: Simply The Best 7 Days A Week :: News :: Prince Harry to qualify as pilot

PRINCE Harry will graduate as a fully-qualified helicopter pilot in May – and return to Afghanistan later this year.

He has amazed instructors by coming in the top 10% of his class after early training setbacks almost forced him to quit. Now Harry, 25, will be told next month whether his future training will be in either Lynx choppers or Apache flying gunships.

The prince will be presented with his helicopter wings at a special ceremony at the Army Air Corps HQ in Middle Wallop, Hants.
One aide said: “There are few people around more amazed than Harry himself. But he’s worked his backside off and everyone is *delighted with the results. He really has earned it.”

He has amazed instructors by coming in the top 10% of his class .
That's quite an amazing achievement and should quiet down those who keep claiming that he only got where he is because of who he is.

Actually no it doesn't as the instructors could be marking him more easily than his classmates so that he appears to be coming higher than them.
I don't personally believe that they would but they might be under instructions to do so to make Harry look good.
Some people would use that argument rather than the one you have.

I'm glad he's passed. :)
It's a shame that people could come up with the argument that he has been "overmarked" due to his title. :ermm:

For me, Harry looks like the kind of guy that makes a great efford to do things right. I don't think he has passed just because he is a Prince. Congratulations Harry!

For me, Harry looks like the kind of guy that makes a great efford to do things right. I don't think he has passed just because he is a Prince. Congratulations Harry!

Prince Harry looks like he really wants a career as a helicopter pilot. He really studied hard and did not party this last year, in my opinion. He reminds me of his wonderful mother, Princess Diana. When she tried she was very capable too. I am glad of this scholastic achievement in the top 10% of his class. Unfortunately there will be some people who will think that because of that previous shaded educational situation concerning with his own work that he does not deserve this either. Congratulations Prince Harry.:);):)

Actually no it doesn't as the instructors could be marking him more easily than his classmates so that he appears to be coming higher than them.

Some people would use that argument rather than the one you have.
I'm sure they would, but they would just look stupid.
Already the idea that he would be let into a pilot course he wasn't qualified for (thus endangering both colleagues and instructors) was quite hard to swallow but the idea they would over-qualify him, thus allowing him to get his hands on the most complex choppers and be even more of a danger to others, is plain science-fiction.

I believe so too. He doesn't use his princely title to have everything his way. :)

HUGE congratulations to Prince Harry! And what an achievement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom