General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has become very clear to me that with many people whatever Harry and Meghan do it will be wrong and hypocritical. I am older and therefore am limited in what I can do in regard to many of the worlds problems. In other words my days of marching and protesting are over, but I do have to wonder what all the people who are complaining are actively doing in regards to the world's problems. Honestly, it too often just sounds like jealousy and bitterness and complaining about what is wrong with what so many others in the world are doing to bring recognition to these issues, especially if they are wealthy.

I honestly wouldn't blame Harry and Meghan if they decided to just toss it in and disappear somewhere. :ermm:

I think until we invent new ways to travel long distances all this aeroplane talk is silly, especially because we can all do things to individually and collectively offset our carbon footprints. This is what large corporations meet to discuss...things like ethical supply chains, reforestation etc. As individuals however we can still all do our part.

Of course the simplest way to travel long distances is to fly.
But, private planes seem a bit self-indulgent.

It's great that Meghan takes an interest in the very popular and inclusive sport of Lawn Bowls.

The Queen, Prince Charles and Princess Anne, Duke of Gloucester etc. rarely put a foot wrong when supporting various charities and environmental issues.
Harry and Meghan should remember to foremost lend an ear to the wisdom of older working royals.
And plane travel is a given for anyone who is instumental in any area of business, World leadership or conservation. Doesn't Harry use regular flights?
Some wealthy people might use elite aircraft but they also bring in large funding and attention to issues.
For Harry to participate he will rub shoulders with those who think the same, from all walks. Should he stay at home riding a bicycle? Sometimes but not always.

:previous: Depending on their calendars, often air travel is the only option and catching a lift with friends or acquaintances isn't ideal but it's that or nothing. HM and Prince Philip took weeks and months on their tours using the Britannia and that is quite a footprint not to mention a heavy investment in time.

These days members of the BRF routinely use a helicopter to get around the UK and that includes HM, The Princess Royal, The Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Andrew and Prince William. Getting on a scheduled flight is not easy because it is not as if it is just Harry nipping off to Italy but also his support and (more importantly) his Protection Officers.

You only have to look at Meghan's attendance at the tennis to dramatically illustrate the consequences of her being there observing the rows and rows of empty seats all around them. Meghan didn't do that because she wanted to keep the common people away from her but her RPO's did and we know they must have a solid reason for doing so because the same thing happened the last time Harry flew budget. The took up the back six or so rows across the plane.

Travelling budget is an exercise in futility because they know and their RPO's know that there are significant credible threats to all of the members of the Sussex family and in an attempt to be seen to be less privileged they only succeed in inconveniencing lots of ordinary members of the public which is, counter-productive.

What I am trying to say is that we cannot apply the same rules to everyone because it doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has become very clear to me that with many people whatever Harry and Meghan do it will be wrong and hypocritical. I am older and therefore am limited in what I can do in regard to many of the worlds problems. In other words my days of marching and protesting are over, but I do have to wonder what all the people who are complaining are actively doing in regards to the world's problems. Honestly, it too often just sounds like jealousy and bitterness and complaining about what is wrong with what so many others in the world are doing to bring recognition to these issues, especially if they are wealthy.

I honestly wouldn't blame Harry and Meghan if they decided to just toss it in and disappear somewhere. :ermm:

This and thank you. It’s often the wealthy and powerful who are in a position to make a change. Especially on a larger scale. If all of it is considered hypocritical than none of them can do anything and nothing will change.

Last edited:
I’ve deleted a number of posts. Just a reminder for the Sussex forums:

• The media is now no longer a topic of discussion. All comments on royal reporters, journalists, media outlets, or any comments with the intention of making the media the topic of discussion instead of the content of the article will be removed immediately by the moderating team.

Now the silence is deafening! Has Harry’s press office given us any content to comment on regarding his carbon jaunt to the Google camp with security at taxpayer expense?

The Cambridges flew to Mustique and back for a week's holiday with the Middletons, and using private planes for the trip. Did that not leave any carbon print? And RPOs were also covering them at taxpayers expense. Are you questioning those arrangements?

IIRC didn't the Cambridges also go to Google Camp in the past? I don't remember any outcry about their carbon footprint (and security) when they went.

The double standard gets very old.

LaRae

Several royals have been known to take painting holidays, short breaks to conferences overseas like Davos, taking private planes and sometimes borrowed yachts. God knows what the carbon print is on those. Not to mention shooting trips to Spain on private planes owned by friends while preaching conservation. And all with taxpayer funded RPOs in tow!

Last edited:
IIRC didn't the Cambridges also go to Google Camp in the past? I don't remember any outcry about their carbon footprint (and security) when they went.

The double standard gets very old.

LaRae

Not that I know off. Harry went 2 years ago. So, probably best to get the facts before talking about 'double standards'.

And as far as I can see, other royals are and have also been called out if they go against the message they preach.

Once again, this thread isn’t about the Cambridges, or other members of the BRF. Take those discussions to their threads. Any further off-topic comments will be deleted.

Again, do we have confirmation that he did in fact go to this event or are we happy to take one publication's word for it and go down our preferred rabbit holes?

Now the silence is deafening! Has Harry’s press office given us any content to comment on regarding his carbon jaunt to the Google camp with security at taxpayer expense?

I don't see any reason why there would be a comment released. Its just a fact of life and a given that wherever Harry (and others) go, they will have around the clock protection officers looking out for their safety whether Harry goes to McDonald's on the corner or Antarctica to visit polar bears.

General News about the Sussex Family, Part One: May 2019 -

Apparently Meghan is writing a children's book

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...writing-childrens-book-based-rescue-dogs.html

Good-goo-a-moo is there anything Meghan won't try and do? Still in the works it claims but it may work with her patronage the Mayhew.

There seems to be no end to Meg’s talents! The last time the mother of royal off-spring reinvented herself as a children's author was dear Fergie after her split from Prince Andrew decades years ago. I hope Meg’s literary career won’t struggle in the end like Fergie’s after industry figures showed one of her book titles sold fewer than 200 copies in Britain. Marie Christine, Princess Michael is quite good at researching and writing grown up books all by herself.

Last edited:
Again, do we have confirmation that he did in fact go to this event or are we happy to take one publication's word for it and go down our preferred rabbit holes?

I don't believe an official confirmation of Harry attending the Google event in Sicily has been made. That said, I did read something (which again may or many not be true, given all the misinformation around) that the Sussex press office refused to confirm how Harry may have traveled to Sicily, suggesting it may indeed be true.

Meghan writing a children's book? I'd definitely suggest 'consider the source' on that allegation. Especially when quoting an unnamed 'Royal insider'. Charles also wrote a children's book, of course. And I believe Princess Michael was accused of plaigerism after the publication of at least one of her books.

They won't, because it's never only about the cause, but also about them, and not in a royal, but in a celebrity way of doing things.

Charles uses private planes etc but his causes are about his causes and not about him, that's the royal way to do it.
The bread and butter jobs.
Not always the glitzy movie premieres, fashion stuff, surrounding yourself with the famous and important with celebrity attitude.
Somebody said, it's not the causes but the way they approach them. Exactly.

Apparently Meghan is writing a children's book

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...writing-childrens-book-based-rescue-dogs.html

Good-goo-a-moo is there anything Meghan won't try and do? Still in the works it claims but it may work with her patronage the Mayhew.

Consider the source of this. This dude went on rant saying 'royals don't guest edit magazines' and this ear splitting tirade giving the game away. He knows nothing and is just blustering the usual fan fiction.

I absolutely agree with this. While the causes they've chosen to champion are incredibly worthy and admirable, there's far too much of the "do as I say and not as I do" happening and it's a bad look. And, as with all things royal, the look and perception is everything. Championing environmental causes and reduction of carbon footprint is a wonderful thing. Following that up with private jet trips (whether paid for by the Sussexes/BRF or by a friend) smacks of hypocritical smugness. Wanting to connect with ordinary everyday people and, in particular, women is a fabulous thing. Doing a guest editorial stint with an elitist magazine like Vogue and choosing to feature mostly wealthy and well known women reeks of snobbishness, particularly if it's true that this didn't in any way benefit any charity as I've read in recent days. Often these things are much like the cookbook which directly benefited a charity in which the Duchess has been personally involved. However, it appears that no proceeds from the sale of this issue of Vogue are earmarked for charitable dispersion. Wanting to be seen as inclusive, friendly, down to earth, and forward thinking is a terrific thing. However, then making demands such as not being photographed in a public place, refusing to allow the public small things like the name of their dog or the names of their son's godparents or even where he was born then smack of an elitist entitlement. See where I'm going with this?

Overall it's not that the Sussexes are making bad choices with the causes they choose to champion, support, and interact with. They're making poor choices with regard to perception and have certainly often given off a "do as I say and not as I do" look and that's simply bad PR. What they will have to eventually realize is that as a member of the BRF, your public and private lives are blurred and that's just the nature of the beast. You don't get to put on your work persona of saving the planet, super woke, down to earth inclusiveness and then behave completely differently when you're "off duty" because it leaves a bad taste in the mouths of the public and when it boils right down to it, without the support of the public the BRF cease to exist.

It definitely will be interesting to see where things stand with the Sussexes in five or ten years and what kind of public perception is out there then. With any luck they'll have decided that maybe it's acceptable to walk that line between having a private life and still giving those happy little tidbits that keep the public satisfied while still managing to do lots of good work for good causes and following the paths that don't give them that "have my cake and eat it too" feel.

Excellent post.

I do admire Meghan for the various causes she has taken up, but for some reason everything seems to attract adverse publicity. The opposite to what she is trying to achieve. I am not sure if it is her or her staff but it becomes all about Meghan.

With both the cookbook, and smartworks, we have been told all about the secret visits, and although she was pregnant she was still working in the background for months. Meghan allowed herself to become the story, not the cause.

Secret visits should remain secret, that is the whole point of them.

The focus moves which is defeating the purpose, Meghan does not require promotion, it is the cause.

I accept that Meghan shining a light on a project will make a huge difference, but at the moment there appears to be a look at me tendency.

They won't, because it's never only about the cause, but also about them, and not in a royal, but in a celebrity way of doing things.

Charles uses private planes etc but his causes are about his causes and not about him, that's the royal way to do it.
The bread and butter jobs.
Not always the glitzy movie premieres, fashion stuff, surrounding yourself with the famous and important with celebrity attitude.
Somebody said, it's not the causes but the way they approach them. Exactly.

Very good post, it is the cause that is important not the royal. I feel there is an element of competition sneaking in, lets see who can do the best job, raise the most money, have the most followers. That is short term success.

Consider the source of this. This dude went on rant saying 'royals don't guest edit magazines' and this ear splitting tirade giving the game away. He knows nothing and is just blustering the usual fan fiction.

Oh Dan Wootton! He’s an entertainment presenter on breakfast telly and ever so refreshing to hear him with his Australian plain speaking about the Monarchy which he adores.

I feel like at the moment at least, whatever Meghan does, she will be the story, not (just) the cause. Could they do things differently, sure but right now she could never confirm any secret visits she did and RRs and us here would take it as gospel and make her the story.

I admit when all these snobby rich people get together to give speeches it doesn't necessarily inspire me. But I at least think what Harry is doing is better than Meghan using her name to get a guest spot at Vogue. As for the apparent spotlight on only rich women, I am not a woman's activist so I don't need to see any more spotlights on women especially rich ones.

Who are the only rich women Meghan highlighted? I saw a 16 year old environmental activist. I saw a short person, bringing attention to inclusiveness in the fashion industry. I saw two former refugees. All of these women have used their platforms to highlight good causes. To reduce them to "rich women", imho seems short sighted.

People did notice the project and highlighting Smart Works? And Luminary bakery?

Personally I think highlighting Smart Works - which aims to give women who can't afford it clothes for job interviews - is good, but doing it in Vogue next to glossy adverts for £££££ gowns and dresses is a bit off. I mean I'm sure these women would be happy for clothes from high street brands like M&S, Next, H&M etc. Yes I get some of the people who read Vogue will clearly be interested in clothes so have plenty to give away but the optics to me of the two together doesn't sit 100% comfortably. It feels at times like a way to justify (not just for M but other women) spending thousands on clothes because hey, look we can give them away after a while. Vogue is perceived by many, probably many who have never read it, as somewhat superficial, that clothing is all so important and almost looking down at those who don't have an interest in, or the money to spend on, the latest clothes. So somewhat at odds with a charity helping those who can't afford suits for interviews.

As others have said, nothing H&M promote is bad, they are all worthy causes but the way it is done seems to not quite hit the right mark each time. I mean in the case of Smart Works it may be that ordinary businesswomen reading about it in vogue, seeing Meghan turn up in £££££ clothing to visit it would think it really is only designer clothes they are after and take their less expensive but equally helpful clothing donations elsewhere.

Last edited:
Personally I think highlighting Smart Works - which aims to give women who can't afford it clothes for job interviews - is good, but doing it in Vogue next to glossy adverts for £££££ gowns and dresses is a bit off. I mean I'm sure these women would be happy for clothes from high street brands like M&S, Next, H&M etc. Yes I get some of the people who read Vogue will clearly be interested in clothes so have plenty to give away but the optics to me of the two together doesn't sit 100% comfortably. It feels at times like a way to justify (not just for M but other women) spending thousands on clothes because hey, look we can give them away after a while. Vogue is perciveed by many, probably many who have never read it, as somewhat superficial, that clothing is all so important and almost looking down at those who don't have an interest in, or the money to spend on, the latest clothes. So somewhat at odds with a charity helping those who can't afford suits for interviews.

As others have said, nothing H&M promote is bad, they are all worthy causes but the way it is done seems to not quite hit the right mark each time.

I agree, the cause is terrific but it all comes over sightly patronising.
It appear Vogue got just as much if not more from this exercise than Smartworks did.

There is also an element and I do not blame Meghan for this but she is being attributed with credit for stuff she didn't actually do. For example designing a line of clothing, no she didnt, she approached the companies ....producing a cookbook, no she promoted the cookbook.
It is the appearance of self promotion that is annoying the general public and taking away from the good stuff.

But Meghan never said that she wrote the cookbook. In fact at the launch she made it clear that it was the women of the Community Kitchens who were the driving force.

Same with the clothes line. It was made clear in the statement made afterwards what she had done, asked for a clothing line to be designed which would benefit SmartWorks.

In spite of this the story in the media was that it was Meghan's cookbook. And there are still outlets today who are promoting the idea that Meghan is starting a clothes line of her own. Twisting the facts and the narrative? I'll say!

Personally I think highlighting Smart Works - which aims to give women who can't afford it clothes for job interviews - is good, but doing it in Vogue next to glossy adverts for £££££ gowns and dresses is a bit off. I mean I'm sure these women would be happy for clothes from high street brands like M&S, Next, H&M etc.
Smart Works does have clothes from High Street brands.

I mean in the case of Smart Works it may be that ordinary businesswomen reading about it in vogue, seeing Meghan turn up in £££££ clothing to visit it would think it really is only designer clothes they are after and take their less expensive but equally helpful clothing donations elsewhere.

No the ordinary business woman wouldn't think that all because it's quite clear that they aren't only after designer clothes. For example, it states that Marks & Spencer, Jigsaw & John Lewis will be taking part.

I feel there is an element of competition sneaking in, lets see who can do the best job, raise the most money, have the most followers. That is short term success.

On what evidence do you base your feeling?

I agree that it’s not always motivating to me when royalty / the wealthy / celebrities work with charities. There is an element of pay / wealth disparity that comes to mind. However, there are other things besides large monetary donations that are key to the success of charities and if their involvement inspires people to make any donation of money or other services or time then it was valuable. I also believe that they have to make a big splash in order to attract the big money donors who may want to be seen.

I think given a choice Harry and Meghan might prefer to live more quietly and still be involved in helping others. Since they cannot, I don’t blame them for taking opportunities to highlight people and causes they believe in. At least they’re doing something that actually might help people that want help. I understand there will never be consensus on methods but shouldn’t we always give credit to those who are trying to help people?

I agree, the cause is terrific but it all comes over sightly patronising.
It appear Vogue got just as much if not more from this exercise than Smartworks did.

There is also an element and I do not blame Meghan for this but she is being attributed with credit for stuff she didn't actually do. For example designing a line of clothing, no she didnt, she approached the companies ....producing a cookbook, no she promoted the cookbook.
It is the appearance of self promotion that is annoying the general public and taking away from the good stuff.

Meghan's background is totally about Me, Myself & I, the way Hollywood works, which was perfectly fine until she married a BRF prince. But this is not the royal way and they or whoever is advising them should shift focus or it will only get worse. The British people are not a Hollywood audience and royal duty is about the common man on the street first, or at least give the impression that it is.

Right now, they are not modernizing but celebritzing the monarchy, what will be its downfall in the very long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom