Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: February 2019 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is free to continue her good works as a private citizen. However, if she does that in an official or semi-official capacity in Canada , that is as HRH The Duchess of Sussex , and without the advice and consent of the Palace and the Canadian government, then constitutional issues are raised . That was the point of the editorial in The Globe and Mail.

What advice would she be given? That organization works with the wrong type of people and therefore she should avoid them. What constitutional issues, which would mean they were going against the foundation of the country, could these organizations present? Nothing about these organizations would suggest they are subverting the rule of the Canadian government, the Commonwealth or the Queen. IMO, all this seems to be manufactured outrage to keep Meghan in her place, punishing her for not doing things as they’ve always been done. Nothing illegal or unconstitutional about her actions. Just different.

Its also very possible that Meghan didn't expect her visits to become public knowledge either. Many royals do things "on the down low" without any fanfare and publicity while doing them. We may hear about it later though because, just as Meghan's recent visits were, they were picked up and made public because someone that was actually there posted it on social media or whatnot.

How often have we heard later that so and so did a surprise visit to somewhere? Or visited with someone out of the blue and it was made public days later. Things like this are nothing new. ?

That’s very true. But again, there’s a huge difference between volunteering and actually doing something vs. showing up to drink tea and hold a discussion with those the charity serves as it would appear that Meghan did. Volunteering and working from the goodness of your heart is a wonderful thing. Showing up to visit is a PR exercise.

It's ridiculous to expect her to never been seen doing anything.

I don't expect that of her.. but a little sensitivity to deeply hurt feelings would suggest [to most other people], that at least a couple of weeks 'out of the spotlight' might be advisable ?

I don't expect that of her.. but a little sensitivity to deeply hurt feelings would suggest [to most other people], that at least a couple of weeks 'out of the spotlight' might be advisable ?

Sensitivity by hiding out in a house with the drapes closed?

Harry is at an engagement today. Doesn't seem like he's doing much hiding.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s very true. But again, there’s a huge difference between volunteering and actually doing something vs. showing up to drink tea and hold a discussion with those the charity serves as it would appear that Meghan did. Volunteering and working from the goodness of your heart is a wonderful thing. Showing up to visit is a PR exercise.

I completely agree with you. And I'm pretty sure Meghan knew that the photo will be posted. That's a great promotion for the shelter.
The lack of common sense with Meghan and Harry shocks me.

Neither of them seem capable of any intelligent behaviour, as regards Public opinion..

Neither of them seem capable of any intelligent behaviour, as regards Public opinion..

This was event already on his calendar. It would have been wrong to cancel it. The RFL isn’t concerned about Harry’s status within the Royal Family. They are concerned about the initiative that is being announced and his continued support of their organization.

LaRae

That’s really not a fair comparison imo. Harry’s engagement was a long standing one in the U.K. He was expected to be there.

Meghan’s was, I suppose, about her desire to get involved in Canada, however that is supposed to work.

And possibly intended for some potentially good PR- depending on how people actually feel about it, with nothing being officially settled relating to work.

I don’t really buy that she expected this to remain quiet. Part of the point of someone like her is to bring attention to places that need attention.

And, under these circumstances- I fully expect Meghan working in some capacity to be publicized. Especially when you’re taking group photos. Maybe she did expect it not to be publicized, who can say, but my first thought when I read about the visit was: nice way to potentially get some positive headlines. That’s not to say I don’t believe she genuinely cares. She has a long history of philanthropic work and interests.

It just seems like a nice way of potentially accomplishing multiple goals.

That’s really not a fair comparison imo. Harry’s engagement was a long standing one in the U.K. He was expected to be there.

Meghan’s was, I suppose, about her desire to get involved in Canada, however that is supposed to work.

And possibly intended for some potentially good PR- depending on how people actually feel about it, with nothing being officially settled relating to work.

I don’t really buy that she expected this to remain quiet. Part of the point of someone like her is to bring attention to places that need attention.

And, under these circumstances- I fully expect Meghan working in some capacity to be publicized. Especially when you’re taking group photos. Maybe she did expect it not to be publicized, who can say, but my first thought when I read about the visit was: nice way to potentially get some positive headlines. That’s not to say I don’t believe she genuinely cares. She has a long history of philanthropic work and interests.

It is a fair comparison when "you" say Meghan shouldn't be visible in order to be sensitive to whatever situation....Harry is fully involved with their decision, if it's insensitive for Meghan to be seen then it should also apply to Harry.

I applaud her doing something and not sitting around in a house hiding. These seem like great organizations that help women and any highlight to them is positive. The situation with Native Women (and this situation is going on in the US too..thousands of missing women) is horrific and needs all the spotlight it can get.

LaRae

I realize that these things almost always end up in such photos taken, but there’s no reason she couldn’t have asked for a photo not to be published. If she really wanted to do some good work, she could have done it quietly, without fanfare...That wouldn’t preclude an article or two being written about it, but that would come off a bit differently, I think.

Just thought people would like some info on Meghan's Canadian activities. She recently visited two charities in Vancouver , one being a woman's shelter and the other called Justice for girls. Both events were not attended by the press and the two pictures that became public were both posted by the charities themselves.

I am going to try and explain why I think Meghan's private visits to the charities in Canada are problematic.

When a Royal does a charity visit, it is a highly choreographed event. The people they meet are vetted to ensure that the resulting pictures do not put the royal or the larger royal family in a controversial light.

Let us use a drastic example of what Meghan can open herself up to if these visits are not properly vetted.

Photos were released of Meghan linking arms with multiple women. Now say one of the women Meghan has her arms linked with advocates for the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Canada through the use of child suicide bombers. Now, this person can use that photo to imply that the Duchess of Sussex (and by extension the RF) support her cause or worse use the picture to solicit finances or recruit. Meghan has no idea what this person is up to and yet, as proper vetting was not done, she (and the RF) are now tarnished by association.

I am going to try and explain why I think Meghan's private visits to the charities in Canada are problematic.

When a Royal does a charity visit, it is a highly choreographed event. The people they meet are vetted to ensure that the resulting pictures do not put the royal or the larger royal family in a controversial light.

Let us use a drastic example of what Meghan can open herself up to if these visits are not properly vetted.

Photos were released of Meghan linking arms with multiple women. Now say one of the women Meghan has her arms linked with advocates for the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Canada through the use of child suicide bombers. Now, this person can use that photo to imply that the Duchess of Sussex (and by extension the RF) support her cause or worse use the picture to solicit finances or recruit. Meghan has no idea what this person is up to and yet, as proper vetting was not done, she (and the RF) are now tarnished by association.

I understand what you are saying... However evidently that contact was deemed okay by whomever does the checking of these things.

Really we don't know if the places in Canada have been vetted or not...since I don't think that is usually announced?

LaRae

It is a fair comparison when "you" say Meghan shouldn't be visible in order to be sensitive to whatever situation....Harry is fully involved with their decision, if it's insensitive for Meghan to be seen then it should also apply to Harry.

I applaud her doing something and not sitting around in a house hiding. These seem like great organizations that help women and any highlight to them is positive. The situation with Native Women (and this situation is going on in the US too..thousands of missing women) is horrific and needs all the spotlight it can get.

LaRae

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Harry’s was fulfilling a commitment he already had as part of his job. Meghan’s was not. To me, the difference is that simple.

I don’t have a strong opinion on whether she “should” have done the visits though. I can see both sides. I just see a clear difference in what she did vs. him.

Its also very possible that Meghan didn't expect her visits to become public knowledge either.

Now I can believe royals do things on the down low. Henry and Megan are probably the best at it.

I am not slating Meghan for supporting charities in Canada, far from it. However I do believe if Meghan wanted it, those pictures would have never seen the light of social media.

Now I can believe royals do things on the down low. Henry and Megan are probably the best at it.

I am not slating Meghan for supporting charities in Canada, far from it. However I do believe if Meghan wanted it, those pictures would have never seen the light of social media.

That would have been utterly useless. There are two types of charity visits: You either volunteer for them or you visit them to highlight and bring attention to their cause.

It seems like Meghan was not there to volunteer. What is the point of a visit if there is no attention bought to the cause? If she was there just to learn more about the charity for her personal benefit, that is a big fat waste of everyone's time.

That would have been utterly useless. There are two types of charity visits: You either volunteer for them or you visit them to highlight and bring attention to their cause.

It seems like Meghan was not there to volunteer. What is the point of a visit if there is no attention bought to the cause? If she was there just to learn more about the charity for her personal benefit, that is a big fat waste of everyone's time.

Also, in relation to the bolding, it certainly wouldn't have been a waste of time to the people whom she was visiting. Who I imagine took a great deal of warmth and happiness from her visiting. Images taken or not.

To be fair, the question of the Women's Centre publishing the photo isn't that dissimilar to the question of wanting to banish the press from engagements. If I ran any sort of organisation and one of the most talked-about people in the world came to visit, I would be posting photos all over everywhere - what a chance in a lifetime to get publicity for your work. I'd be very upset if they asked me to be quiet about it. But then how do you square that with Harry and Meghan supposedly wanting less press attention?

In my view, the fact that Meghan visits local agencies is not problematic in and of itself--one could say she is continuing to demonstrate a commitment to social justice issues. I am surprised, however that pictures were taken and published. Meghan may or may not have known. When taken in the context of the announcement that Harry and Meghan were "stepping down" as senior royals, and all the complexities associated with that move, Meghan's visits appear to signal that the couple is not willing to wait for the fine print. (Harry's engagement not so much, because it was a booked engagement.) Some may find Meghan's initiative admirable, and normally I would find it so, but in the context of "Sussexit" I find it at best naieve and at worse, an example of a desperate desire for publicity.

In some respects, perhaps Meghan should just do what she wants in supporting whatever causes she chooses. What difference will it make to the reporting?

She is free to continue her good works as a private citizen. However, if she does that in an official or semi-official capacity in Canada , that is as HRH The Duchess of Sussex , and without the advice and consent of the Palace and the Canadian government, then constitutional issues are raised . That was the point of the editorial in The Globe and Mail.
She is NOT a "private citizen" - at no time and nowhere on this planet, as long as she is married to Harry. No matter "minor Royals" or not. Their existence in itself is public - not even if they would lose/ give up their HRHs.

Last edited:
Just another example of her not understanding (giving the benefit of the doubt here) her place and not considering the ramifications for the BRF and their relationships with the Common Wealth. Another reason why there needs to be strict rules on these two. Meghan may be used to running her own show, but as long as she is married to a Prince of the UK, she will need to adhere to the rules that govern him as a member of the BRF.....Senior or not.

I think this was an attempt to conjure up some leverage for herself--"I"m free! I can do anything I want because I CARE SO MUCH and you can't stop me"

But since she doesn't seem to be a Brainiac about these things and seems not to listen to people that are---the coverage of her visit got her nothing. Apparently her desire is to become a top tier philantrophist (Sussex Royal Foundation)but to do that you need a whole lot of money and the prestige status ---and both look like they are slipping away from her. I think the BRF will give her just enough so that crying victim makes her look ridiculous.

I agree with the posters here that think that the top priority of the BRF is a lifeline for Harry.

I think this was an attempt to conjure up some leverage for herself--"I"m free! I can do anything I want because I CARE SO MUCH and you can't stop me"

But since she doesn't seem to be a Brainiac about these things and seems not to listen to people that are---the coverage of her visit got her nothing. Apparently her desire is to become a top tier philantrophist (Sussex Royal Foundation)but to do that you need a whole lot of money and the prestige status ---and both look like they are slipping away from her. I think the BRF will give her just enough so that crying victim makes her look ridiculous.

I agree with the posters here that think that the top priority of the BRF is a lifeline for Harry.

She's sorely mistaken. Meghan can have the freedom to do everything how and when she wants, but it would mean giving up even being a part time Royal. She's a name now - if she's so secure in her position, then maybe she should give up her title. Of course she won't as she loves being the Duchess of Sussex. In that case, as she no doubt wants to remain titled and styled (still not sure what styled means). then she's going to have to abide by certain "rules". If she doesn't, yes there will be consequences, even if it's just backlash from the public.

Agreed about the BRF - their clear and only priority is loving Harry and wanting to see him happy.

Justa a reminder:

You are not always going to agree with the opinions of your fellow members, but we do expect you to always act civilly and respectfully. Insulting and snarky comments aimed at those who don’t share your opinion, are not acceptable. It’s not only against the forum rules, but it disrupts the thread and is unfair to those who are trying to carry on civil discussions.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As long as it does not break any of the TRF rules and guidelines, it may be posted here.

If she were out of the spotlight, guaranteed there would be some people complaining about her "hiding" from potential negative publicity.

Meghan has done charitable work since she was a young girl. I can't think of any reason why she would stop, and why anyone would object to her doing it.

She's sorely mistaken. Meghan can have the freedom to do everything how and when she wants, but it would mean giving up even being a part time Royal. She's a name now - if she's so secure in her position, then maybe she should give up her title. Of course she won't as she loves being the Duchess of Sussex. In that case, as she no doubt wants to remain titled and styled (still not sure what styled means). then she's going to have to abide by certain "rules". If she doesn't, yes there will be consequences, even if it's just backlash from the public.

Agreed about the BRF - their clear and only priority is loving Harry and wanting to see him happy.

She loves it so much that she only wants to do it part-time.

Please be reminded that this is the Current Events thread, not an over-flow area for the "Stepping Back" thread.

Interesting. So on Monday (after Harry's talks?) Meghan had her staff send out an email to two random organizations in the neighborhood supporting women to see whether she can come and visit the next day?!

I don’t think they were random. One of the organizations (Eastside Women's Centre) is linked to a charity initiative that’s co-founded by her friend Jessica Mulroney.

I agree with all this. I think the visits were a win-win for everyone.

As for whether Meghan expected the visit to become public, it seems she did. Her team pre-approved the tweet from one of the charities.

Zoe Craig-Sparrow, a co-director of Justice For Girls, which "promotes health, well-being, equal rights and freedom from violence for teenage girls who live in poverty," has revealed that photographs taken of the Duchess with members of her staff were taken by one of her “team”.

The visit was made public only when the charity published those pictures on Twitter and only when the Duchess had apparently approved the text and given them the green light.

Asked whether they had run the tweets past their royal visitor, Ms Craig-Sparrow told the Telegraph: “Yeah, and we wanted to ensure that what we were putting forward was an accurate representation of the meeting - we thought it went really well, but obviously we want to make sure that was reciprocated.”

Source

Last edited:
I don’t think they were random. One of the organizations (Eastside Women's Centre) is linked to a charity initiative that’s co-founded by her friend Jessica Mulroney.

I agree with all this. I think the visits were a win-win for everyone.

As for whether Meghan expected the visit to become public, it seems she did. Her team pre-approved the tweet from one of the charities.

For someone who is so preoccupied with press intrusion I am sure it would have been discussed if the photograph at the centre was to be issued.

Just thought people would like some info on Meghan's Canadian activities. She recently visited two charities in Vancouver , one being a woman's shelter and the other called Justice for girls. Both events were not attended by the press and the two pictures that became public were both posted by the charities themselves.

What is the name of the women's shelter? Is the photograph on twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom