King Edward I (1239-1307) and Wives (Eleanor of Castile & Margaret of France)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
Edward I (17/18 June 1239 – 7 July 1307), also known as Edward Longshanks and the Hammer of the Scots, was King of England and Lord of Ireland from 1272 to 1307.[1] Concurrently, he ruled the duchies of Aquitaine and Gascony as a vassal of the French king. Before his accession to the throne, he was commonly referred to as the Lord Edward.
More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_I_of_England

Eleanor of Castile (1241 – 28 November 1290) was Queen of England as the first wife of Edward I, whom she married as part of a political deal to affirm English sovereignty over Gascony.

The marriage was known to be particularly close, and Eleanor travelled extensively with her husband. She was with him on the Ninth Crusade, when he was wounded at Acre, but the popular story of her saving his life by sucking out the poison has long been discredited. When she died, at Harby near Lincoln, her grieving husband famously ordered a stone cross to be erected at each stopping-place on the journey to London, ending at Charing Cross.
More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_of_Castile

Tomb Effigy of Eleanor at Lincoln Cathedral:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...nor_of_Castile_-_geograph.org.uk_-_356028.jpg

Margaret of France (c. 1279 – 14 February 1318) was Queen of England as the second wife of King Edward I. She was a daughter of Philip III of France and Maria of Brabant.
More information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_France,_Queen_of_England

Edward's children with Eleanor were:
  • Katherine (1261 or 1263 – September 1264)
  • Joan (1265 – before 7 September 1265)
  • John (10 July 1266 – 3 August 1271)
  • Henry (6 May 1268 – 14 October 1274)
  • Eleanor (18 June 1269 – 19 August 1298)
  • Unnamed daughter (1271 – 1271 or 1272)
  • Joan (1272 – 23 April 1307)
  • Alphonso (24 November 1273 – 19 August 1284)
  • Margaret (c.15 March 1275 – after 11 March 1333)
  • Berengaria (May 1276 – between 1277 and 1278)
  • Unnamed child (January 1278 – 1278)
  • Mary (11 March 1278 – before 8 July 1332)
  • Elizabeth (August 1282 – c. 5 May 1316)
  • Edward II (25 April 1284 – 21 September 1327)

His children by Margaret of France were:
  • Thomas (1 June 1300 – 4 August 1338)
  • Edmund (5 August 1301 – 19 March 1330)
  • Eleanor (4 May 1306 – August 1311)

In The Plantagenets Dan Jones wrote:
John Pechman clashed numerous times with Edward I from the very beginning of his tenure as archbishop. His stance on pluralism irritated the king, who gained a good deal of advantage from being able to give his clerks multiple lucrative posts in the Church as reward for their work.

In The Plantagenets Dan Jones wrote:
John Pechman clashed numerous times with Edward I from the very beginning of his tenure as archbishop. His stance on pluralism irritated the king, who gained a good deal of advantage from being able to give his clerks multiple lucrative posts in the Church as reward for their work.

Where was John Pechman Archbishop of... York,Canterbury or Dublin?

King Louis IX of France had been planning a new crusade.
The future King Edward I was trying to get money to fit out a crusader army.
He took a seventeen thousand pound loan from King Louis IX, repayable from the revenues of Bordeaux.

King Louis IX of France had been planning a new crusade.
The future King Edward I was trying to get money to fit out a crusader army.
He took a seventeen thousand pound loan from King Louis IX, repayable from the revenues of Bordeaux.

Edward was on the Ninth Crusade to the Holy Land in 1270,he had to return to England following the death of his father,Henry III.
In June 1272 he was almost assassinated

350px-Ninth_Crusade-en.svg.png

The marriage of Edward I and Eleanor of Castile occurred on November 1, 1254.

Prior to Edward I, Eleanor of Castile was being proposed as a bride to Theobald II of Navarre.However Theobald's mother,Marguerite de Bourbon favoured a French alliance and had her son marry isabella of France (daughter of Louis IX).

Margaret of France was never crowned queen.
She used her influence to help reconcile King Edward I with his eldest son Edward when the two quarrelled in 1305.

Margaret of France was never crowned queen.
She used her influence to help reconcile King Edward I with his eldest son Edward when the two quarrelled in 1305.
The coffers were empty due to constant Wars and the king could not afford one,Marguerite is one of the few uncrowned queen consorts in English history.

Wow, Queen Eleanor was *around* 43 when She gave birth to the future Edward 11.

IN THE EARLIER TIMES WOMEN WERE GIVING BIRTH TO THE CHILDREN AS LONG AS BIOLOGY PERMITTED THEM.

Wow, Queen Eleanor was *around* 43 when She gave birth to the future Edward 11.
Childbirth was the only "job" that Queens and Princesses really had. Their "success" was judged by the number of children, preferably sons, that they produced. It really wasn't until the 19th century that the modern concept of public service developed; it was George V and Queen Mary that really kick-started what we consider royal work in the early 20th. Were there occasional things along the centuries, such as regencies for minors or when the King was absent, of course there were, but not like we see today.

Back
Top Bottom