The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-02-2021, 04:46 AM
Serene Highness

I think it's more a case of people being unable to handle the idea that a powerful woman might actually have managed perfectly well without having a male partner! Hence all the rumours about Elizabeth.

Old 01-02-2021, 05:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I think it's more a case of people being unable to handle the idea that a powerful woman might actually have managed perfectly well without having a male partner! Hence all the rumours about Elizabeth.
She managed without a partner but she had many advsiers who were men and who contributed ot the success of her reign....

Old 01-02-2021, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Was Queen Elizabeth the mother of Arthur? How could she have hidden a pregnancy?
http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/royal_f...ews-19030.html
Wrong rumor. Queen Elizabeth is purported to be the mother of Sir Francis Bacon.

According to many under appreciated scholars, Queen Elizabeth I, had an affair with Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and produced a son named Francis. Francis was given up at birth to Anne Bacon, Queen Elizabeth's maid in waiting.

Bacon's Royal Parentage

Drats. Now I *need* me some crispy bacon.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I cannot blame Good Queen Bess for never marrying after all she witnessed with her father disposing of wives, executing 2 of them including her own mother and the unhappy marriage of her older sister Queen Mary and the disastrous second and third marriages of her cousin Mary Queen of Scots.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Maybe she was far, far ahead of her time and didn't feel the need for a "legal union" to define a relationship. She's often been called the "virgin queen" but who, in their right mind, would demand "proof" from their monarch?

Elizabeth always proclaimed that she was "married to her kingdom and under divine protection".
Old 01-02-2021, 07:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Maybe she was far, far ahead of her time and didn't feel the need for a "legal union" to define a relationship. She's often been called the "virgin queen" but who, in their right mind, would demand "proof" from their monarch?

Elizabeth always proclaimed that she was "married to her kingdom and under divine protection".
No she wasn't "far ahead of her time" at all. She was a conservative person in most respects. She probably loved Robert Dudley most but feared the loss of power if she were to marry him or any other man. There was a dilemma, in that if she married a foreign prince, it might mean the end of English independence.. and if she married an English noble, it would stir up jealousies...
Old 01-02-2021, 07:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
No she wasn't "far ahead of her time" at all. She was a conservative person in most respects. She probably loved Robert Dudley most but feared the loss of power if she were to marry him or any other man. There was a dilemma, in that if she married a foreign prince, it might mean the end of English independence.. and if she married an English noble, it would stir up jealousies...
That makes sense. If she were to marry, she would have been required to marry someone "suitable" that would serve to protect and further the interests of England. If she had married, the era was one of where the husband was to be "obeyed" and women were treated as "lesser" beings. Remaining unmarried, Elizabeth didn't give any kind of her power to a man that could possibly "abuse" his station.

I actually went to look it up to find out if back then in Elizabeth I's time if there was such as beast as the "crown matrimonial" as there was in Scotland at the time of Mary, Queen of Scots. As I couldn't find any reference to it for England, I'm assuming it wasn't part of English law at the time.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:56 AM
Majesty

However it left her without an heir and that was one of hte primary duties of a monarch to provide an heir so as to ensure an orderly transition of power once she died. It was the best solution that they could have at the time for her to remain unmarried but it was not ideal. Mary's marriage to Philip had a treaty which didn't give Philip too many rights in England.. and possibly Elizabeth could have found a husband who was a royal but not a King who would be content to become her consort. however foreign alliances mgiht drag the country into war.... and I think taht Elizabeth felt it was safest to reign alone even if it left her iwht no heir...
Old 01-02-2021, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I often think about what sort of relationship Elizabeth had with her other Catholic cousin The Lady Margaret Douglas,Countess of Lennox.

I'm thinking there was no love loss especially on Lady Margaret's side.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Wrong rumor. Queen Elizabeth is purported to be the mother of Sir Francis Bacon.

According to many under appreciated scholars, Queen Elizabeth I, had an affair with Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, and produced a son named Francis. Francis was given up at birth to Anne Bacon, Queen Elizabeth's maid in waiting.

Bacon's Royal Parentage

Drats. Now I *need* me some crispy bacon.
Osipi, I found:
In Elizabeth Virgin Queen, Philippa Jones wrote that there were four possible men who could have been the offspring of Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley: Arthur Dudley, Francis Bacon, John Harrington, and Robert Devereux.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Osipi, I found:
In Elizabeth Virgin Queen, Philippa Jones wrote that there were four possible men who could have been the offspring of Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley: Arthur Dudley, Francis Bacon, John Harrington, and Robert Devereux.
Anything is possible, I guess. We'll never really know unless, for some reason, DNA testing is done.
Old 01-31-2021, 05:37 AM
Commoner

Here is an interesting article about her...
https://historystories123.blogspot.c...n-or.html#more
Old 02-09-2021, 06:06 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Fenwick View Post
Here is an interesting article about her...
https://historystories123.blogspot.c...n-or.html#more
I have to correct the blogger on one point.
Elizabeth was totally prepared to let Catholics have religious freedom.
And it seems like most of them did fine during her reign.
But a few were accused of treason and were executed for that reason.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:11 AM
Majesty

Religous penal laws were common at the time.. Elizabeth did not wish to "make windows inot mens' souls" and tried not to persecute her Catholic Subjects unless they crossed a line into treason... She just wanted outward conformity to the C of England....
Old 02-09-2021, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
She did in England but it was a different story in Ireland where the vast majority of the population remained Catholic.

Elizabeth's reign in Ireland is bloodstained and her policies have had long term effects even in the 21st century.

There's no Glorianna in Ireland for Elizabeth.

There are also quite a numerous amount of English Catholic martyrs from the reign of Elizabeth.Many of them suffered horrific deaths.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post

She forced everybody in England to acknowledge her as Head of the Church.
She fined those who did not attend Mass.
Pope Pius V put entrance to Heaven as a price on her head.

The above doesn't sound like much religious freedom to me. But maybe I got it wrong.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Fenwick View Post
She forced everybody in England to acknowledge her as Head of the Church.
She fined those who did not attend Mass.
Pope Pius V put entrance to Heaven as a price on her head.

The above doesn't sound like much religious freedom to me. But maybe I got it wrong.
She was the same as all rulers in the 16th century. Religious conformity was expected in all states in Europe.. the general principle was that people had to confrom to the ruler's denomination.. Catholic states persecuted Protestants and vice versa.....Elizabeth was generally contented with the appearance of conformity but since the Pope had ssaid that she was not the legitimate ruler of England, she had to be wary of Catholics who might rise up and put Mary queen of Scots on the throne instead of her.....
Old 02-09-2021, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She was the same as all rulers in the 16th century.

I was just thinking along with Elizabeth the main players were Margaret of Mary of Hungary and later Margaret of Parma in the Netherlands, Marie de Guise in Scotland, Jeanne d'Albret in Navarre, Catherine de Médicis in France, Philip II in Spain and Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor.

When was there another time when females dominated Europe for so long and wielded such power?
Old 02-10-2021, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I was just thinking along with Elizabeth the main players were Margaret of Mary of Hungary and later Margaret of Parma in the Netherlands, Marie de Guise in Scotland, Jeanne d'Albret in Navarre, Catherine de Médicis in France, Philip II in Spain and Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor.

When was there another time when females dominated Europe for so long and wielded such power?
Yes it was an age when an unusual number of women were in ruling positions...
Old 02-10-2021, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Elizabeth I and Catherine de Médicis had a very complex relationship to say the least!

Tags
biography, british history, earl of essex, earl of leicester, elizabeth i, line of succession, pictures, queen regnant, robert dudley, tudor