The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
When Queen Philippa was the regent for her spouse King Edward III, did she have her own army?
She did. Or at least she helped rally any army while her husband was gone. David II of Scotland tried invading the UK while Edward III was gone. Philippa with the support of her barons, headed to Northumberland believing her presence would help rally the northern lords and their men. She managed to rally 6-7000 men, a much smaller number then David. Though vastly out numbered they defeated the Scots at the battle of Neville's cross, and even captured King David.

Philippa actually accompanied her men to the battle field, where she gave a rallying speech to the troops, before she retreated to safety in the battle.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/404926...nevilles-cross

The Battle of Neville's Cross (17 Oct 1346) [War against Scotland]

She learned well as during the early years of her reign she used to accompany her husband when he was on campaign.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She did. Or at least she helped rally any army while her husband was gone. David II of Scotland tried invading the UK while Edward III was gone. Philippa with the support of her barons, headed to Northumberland believing her presence would help rally the northern lords and their men. She managed to rally 6-7000 men, a much smaller number then David. Though vastly out numbered they defeated the Scots at the battle of Neville's cross, and even captured King David.

Philippa actually accompanied her men to the battle field, where she gave a rallying speech to the troops, before she retreated to safety in the battle.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/404926...nevilles-cross

The Battle of Neville's Cross (17 Oct 1346) [War against Scotland]

She learned well as during the early years of her reign she used to accompany her husband when he was on campaign.

This 15th Century manuscript depicts Philippa de Hainaut at the head of an army.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's an article on the life of Lady Joan the illegitimate daughter of King John and later the wife of Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Wales.

https://historytheinterestingbits.co...lady-of-wales/
Old 05-08-2020, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Here's an article on the life of Lady Joan the illegitimate daughter of King John and later the wife of Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Wales.

https://historytheinterestingbits.co...lady-of-wales/
Very interesting thank you. I knew of Joan but not a great deal about her. I read Edith Pargetter's Brothers of Gwynedd series many moons ago which I loved. The brothers were the sons of Joan's stepson Gruffyad. They've been on my books to reread list ever since.

The dynastic history of the various Welsh princely houses is very complicated & certainly dramatic!
Old 05-14-2020, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Very interesting thank you. I knew of Joan but not a great deal about her. I read Edith Pargetter's Brothers of Gwynedd series many moons ago which I loved. The brothers were the sons of Joan's stepson Gruffyad. They've been on my books to reread list ever since.

The dynastic history of the various Welsh princely houses is very complicated & certainly dramatic!
And remarkably her burial was preserved all be it badly damaged,see below .

Tomb of Joan, Lady of Wales at the Church of St Mary and St Nicholas, Beaumaris, North Wales

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...h_Wales_14.JPG
Old 05-14-2020, 01:51 PM
Serene Highness

I'm sure I've read a book about her. Maybe one of Sharon Penman's medieval Welsh history books ... yes (thank you Google!) Here Be Dragons. It was very good!
Old 05-14-2020, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I'm sure I've read a book about her. Maybe one of Sharon Penman's medieval Welsh history books ... yes (thank you Google!) Here Be Dragons. It was very good!
Yes they cover the same period as Edith Pargetter's Gwynedd quartet but I've not read Penman's books although I've heard they're very good.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes they cover the same period as Edith Pargetter's Gwynedd quartet but I've not read Penman's books although I've heard they're very good.
Sharon's books are amazing. She is a meticulous researcher, and if she changes anything (chronology, etc.) for the purpose of her story she explains why as part of her extensive Author's Note in each and every book. Her books are, um, longish but well worth the time to read.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Between reading the messages about "The Welsh Princes" book, I've gone and ordered all three of the trilogy. abebooks.com loves me. I keep them in business. Now you know where my stimulus check from the US government is going.

What I love about these kind of books is that the story may be fiction but being based in true history, it whets the appetite to learn even more after reading the books. Now to hunt down Edith Pargetter's Brothers of Gwynedd series.

Thanks much for mentioning them!!
Old 08-28-2020, 05:14 AM
Majesty

Margaret Tudor entered York 1503 during her journey to Scotland to marry King James IV of Scotland
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-mar...-83343558.html
Old 06-04-2021, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There's an exhibition on the largely unknown and forgotten Vicereines of Ireland opening at at Dublin Castle.

This exhibition will run over the summer months
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021...es-exhibition/

Tags
northampton