The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
When Queen Philippa was the regent for her spouse King Edward III, did she have her own army?
She did. Or at least she helped rally any army while her husband was gone. David II of Scotland tried invading the UK while Edward III was gone. Philippa with the support of her barons, headed to Northumberland believing her presence would help rally the northern lords and their men. She managed to rally 6-7000 men, a much smaller number then David. Though vastly out numbered they defeated the Scots at the battle of Neville's cross, and even captured King David.

Philippa actually accompanied her men to the battle field, where she gave a rallying speech to the troops, before she retreated to safety in the battle.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/404926...nevilles-cross

The Battle of Neville's Cross (17 Oct 1346) [War against Scotland]

She learned well as during the early years of her reign she used to accompany her husband when he was on campaign.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
She did. Or at least she helped rally any army while her husband was gone. David II of Scotland tried invading the UK while Edward III was gone. Philippa with the support of her barons, headed to Northumberland believing her presence would help rally the northern lords and their men. She managed to rally 6-7000 men, a much smaller number then David. Though vastly out numbered they defeated the Scots at the battle of Neville's cross, and even captured King David.

Philippa actually accompanied her men to the battle field, where she gave a rallying speech to the troops, before she retreated to safety in the battle.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/404926...nevilles-cross

The Battle of Neville's Cross (17 Oct 1346) [War against Scotland]

She learned well as during the early years of her reign she used to accompany her husband when he was on campaign.

This 15th Century manuscript depicts Philippa de Hainaut at the head of an army.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's an article on the life of Lady Joan the illegitimate daughter of King John and later the wife of Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Wales.

https://historytheinterestingbits.co...lady-of-wales/
Old 05-08-2020, 10:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Here's an article on the life of Lady Joan the illegitimate daughter of King John and later the wife of Llywelyn the Great, Prince of Wales.

https://historytheinterestingbits.co...lady-of-wales/
Very interesting thank you. I knew of Joan but not a great deal about her. I read Edith Pargetter's Brothers of Gwynedd series many moons ago which I loved. The brothers were the sons of Joan's stepson Gruffyad. They've been on my books to reread list ever since.

The dynastic history of the various Welsh princely houses is very complicated & certainly dramatic!
Old 05-14-2020, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Very interesting thank you. I knew of Joan but not a great deal about her. I read Edith Pargetter's Brothers of Gwynedd series many moons ago which I loved. The brothers were the sons of Joan's stepson Gruffyad. They've been on my books to reread list ever since.

The dynastic history of the various Welsh princely houses is very complicated & certainly dramatic!
And remarkably her burial was preserved all be it badly damaged,see below .

Tomb of Joan, Lady of Wales at the Church of St Mary and St Nicholas, Beaumaris, North Wales

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...h_Wales_14.JPG
Old 05-14-2020, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sure I've read a book about her. Maybe one of Sharon Penman's medieval Welsh history books ... yes (thank you Google!) Here Be Dragons. It was very good!
Old 05-14-2020, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I'm sure I've read a book about her. Maybe one of Sharon Penman's medieval Welsh history books ... yes (thank you Google!) Here Be Dragons. It was very good!
Yes they cover the same period as Edith Pargetter's Gwynedd quartet but I've not read Penman's books although I've heard they're very good.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes they cover the same period as Edith Pargetter's Gwynedd quartet but I've not read Penman's books although I've heard they're very good.
Sharon's books are amazing. She is a meticulous researcher, and if she changes anything (chronology, etc.) for the purpose of her story she explains why as part of her extensive Author's Note in each and every book. Her books are, um, longish but well worth the time to read.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:29 AM
Member - in Memoriam

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Between reading the messages about "The Welsh Princes" book, I've gone and ordered all three of the trilogy. abebooks.com loves me. I keep them in business. Now you know where my stimulus check from the US government is going.

What I love about these kind of books is that the story may be fiction but being based in true history, it whets the appetite to learn even more after reading the books. Now to hunt down Edith Pargetter's Brothers of Gwynedd series.

Thanks much for mentioning them!!
Old 08-28-2020, 06:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Margaret Tudor entered York 1503 during her journey to Scotland to marry King James IV of Scotland
http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-mar...-83343558.html
Old 06-04-2021, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There's an exhibition on the largely unknown and forgotten Vicereines of Ireland opening at at Dublin Castle.

This exhibition will run over the summer months
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021...es-exhibition/
Old 11-30-2021, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Princess Louise Hollandine of the Palatinate was born in Holland in 1622. She was the daughter of Elizabeth Stuart, who was the daughter of King James I of England. Holland gifted the newborn princess with a life pension of two hundred pounds a year.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Alphonso (1273-1284) was the son of King Edward I of England and Eleanor of Castile. He was the heir apparent. He had the title of Earl of Chester. He predeceased his father. However, had he succeeded his father, he would have been King Alphonso I of England.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Alphonso (1273-1284) was the son of King Edward I of England and Eleanor of Castile. He was the heir apparent. He had the title of Earl of Chester. He predeceased his father. However, had he succeeded his father, he would have been King Alphonso I of England.
Alphonso, Earl of Chester had 2 elder brothers John had died in 1271 Henry who died in 1274.
The Prince was named in honour of his maternal uncle King Alphonso X of Castile.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not sure if this is the right thread but in the latest English Heritage magazine there's an article on St Milburga. A Mercian princess I'd never heard of before.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...riory/history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildburh
Old 03-26-2022, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Not sure if this is the right thread but in the latest English Heritage magazine there's an article on St Milburga. A Mercian princess I'd never heard of before.

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...riory/history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildburh
I'd never heard of Saint Mildburh of Wenlock before but looked her up and we missed her Feast Day on the 23rd of February!
Old 03-26-2022, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'd never heard of Saint Mildburh of Wenlock before but looked her up and we missed her Feast Day on the 23rd of February!
We should never miss a feast day!

I suppose it shows how much history there is that we don't know. My knowledge of the whole Anglo-Saxon period (half a millenium!) is pretty rusty to be honest. Especially the more obscure periods & kingdoms. Apart from the obvious Alfred et al.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have actually been to Wenlock Priory, but I'm afraid I don't remember anything about St Mildburh, just that it was very hard to park the car!
Old 03-26-2022, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I have actually been to Wenlock Priory, but I'm afraid I don't remember anything about St Mildburh, just that it was very hard to park the car!
It's one place I've never been. It does look beautiful though. Like so much of Shropshire. And still unspoiled - so long as we ignore Telford (sorry Telfordians).
Old 03-26-2022, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

There were plans to turn Wenlock Priory into a parish church in 1540 following the dissolution of the priory but sadly the plans fell by the wayside and it was plundered and largely torn down.

Tags
northampton