Royal Protocol and Etiquette

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And who would meet Queen Elizabeth at a U S airport?

And who would meet Queen Elizabeth at a U S airport?

I dont think Protocols in US/Russia need higher officials to be present at airport. State Arrival and receptions are held at White House/ Kremlin, I suppose..

But back in 1951, when Princess Elizabeth and DoE made an official visit to US, they were received at airport by none other than President Truman and First Lady Margaret Truman. Now protocols have become more relaxed I guess

Vintage footage of Royal Family from 1951 & 1952 - YouTube

This was a very good vintage video, which, naturally ppl dont care to see..

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/princess-elizabeth?before=1347214197http://www.whitehousehistory.org/whha_photographs/whitehouse-queen-elizabeth-diamond-jubilee.html

And that was a link to the pic. Hope u can make out the tarmac and staircase in the background

Last edited:
Great video link above,I love watching old news reel footage,especially seeing the crowds who flocked to see Elizabeth and Philip!

Email protocol

What is the correct form of address when corresponding via email to a person who's a princess? We've been in contact with each other regarding a fashion accessories line she has and she refers to me by my first name and signs with just her first name. I just want to get this right. Thanks!

If you have already had some correspondence with her and she has not told you she would prefer to be called anything differently than what you have been using then there should not be an issue. She must be fine with the current form. Royal often sign with just their names but that does not mean they are addressed that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video link above,I love watching old news reel footage,especially seeing the crowds who flocked to see Elizabeth and Philip!
Thanks AnArd Ri there are quite a few videos like this out there in Youtube and Pathe but sadly very less viewers and likes/comments. Millions will watch Diana crying and give "thy choicest curses in store, on BRF/C-C be pleased to pour" but these real royal videos are not that popular..:sad:
And today people never really know how much the Queen and her generation had in their days. For them royalty is just Diana/Kate etc..So sad for Brits..

Last edited:
There are so many tips here, but I think it would be hepful if someone could make a guide where you can find old/new ettiquette, rumours, special dislikes (like Queen Elizabeth toughts about pants), and differences between countries.
Just a suggestion :)

I'm not sure if it is considered "protocol", but Queen elizabeth II detests for women to wear pants in her presence. I don't believe it really has any backing in any real "protocol", but more in her old fashioned ways. She doesn't like her lady's in waiting or any of her courtiers that are women to wear pants around her, and wearing a skirt without tights in her presence is considered violation of protocal.

I was talking about this kind of things, are not a fact into the protocol but still they are.

:previous:
That relates to dress standards for the staff of the Royal Household; it's not 'protocol'.

When to wear a Crown or Tiara

I have noticed that when Camilla goes out to Royal functions she always wears a tiara. Prince Charles does not wear a crown to Royal events. I don't think I've seen a tiara on Kate and William does not wear a crown. So why does she, is it protocol or just vanity?

Women wear tiaras as part of their outfits because to be properly dressed they should be wearing something on their heads - so in less formal wear a hat and at formal occasions a tiara (although the wearing of hats has become less de rigour for less formal occasions).

Kate has yet to attend a public event at which a tiara would be the expected headware.

Only monarchs wear crowns (although they do have coronets etc for Dukes, Earls etc) but they don't wear them except at the most formal of occasions e.g. the State Opening of Parliament but not to dinners etc.

Anybody knows any good course of Eitquette and Protocoll?

How to address someone of a lower rank than you?

Hi there,

I've always been very perplexed about this question, so I was wondering if anyone could help me clear the air?

For example, if you were a commoner, to greet a duke, you merely say, Your Grace.

If I were a Prince of the United Kingdom, and I am greeting a duke, do I also say, Your Grace? Or does the fact that I rank higher than him in Order of Precedence allow me to skip his formal greetings?

Similarly, do I as a prince have to ask an Earl for example, (Did your Lordship enjoy the meal?) or do I go (Did you enjoy the meal?)

For sure, anyone above you, such as a reigning monarch, I would go, did your majesties enjoy the meal? (as a prince for example)

Thank you!

I should imagine that the royal prince would use the dukes/earls first name if they know each other well, although the duke/earl would most likely always use "your royal highness" in the first instance and thereafter "sir".
But it all depends....under what circumstances would a royal prince meet a duke of the peerage unless they were well acquainted enough to be on familiar terms?
As a prince, one would simply ask a question without using the title or even the name all the time - assuming they had sat next to each other throughout the meal it would be "did you enjoy the meal?"

I think that is where age may play a part. The 31 year old prince may address a 70 year old duke by his title.

If it is a peer, ie Duke of Bedford, the HRH would probably call him "Bedford" if he knows him. Otherwise, I don't think he would call him anything.

If it is a Baronet/Knight, ie Sir John Moore, then he would call him Sir John.

Addressing women - it would be First Name if he knew her; Your Grace if he didn't

^^^^
I can think of more than a few corporate enviroments where the CEO might address someone lower on the corporate flow chart by their first name but they would call him Mr Smith. I have been in homes in NYC where the homeowners address their maid by the first name and the maid calls their employers as Mrs Jones. I heard the President of the US refer to people by their first name and they respond with Mr President. Class distinctions exist everywhere. As much as people might like to think we are all equal we are all not equal.

Mr. President is just that. You Highness or Majesty is a reflection of some time past when someone was so far above you, just by the words. Mr. Streetcar Conductor is the same as Mr. President. It is a job title. Yes, I have heard maids referred to as Kathy or such. I have,also, heard maids say yes Don or Jim or Marilyn. It depends on the person. CEO's earned their positions, hopefully. HRH are just born to that title.

Yes, because dedicating her life to her country and working for it for 60 years clearly isn't enough to have earned the Queen a bit of respect.

Why not call them by their first name - as they are equal to you. If they don't like it then they obviously have no respect for you.

On a engagement, there is someone there to make introductions. It is usually The Lord lieutenant of the county that the royals are visiting. At receptions, there is a member of the royal household telling who the royal is meeting in a receiving line. There was a photo of Kate meeting the commonwealth and realms PMs and GGs during the afternoon reception after the royal wedding. The leaders are all lined up and Jamie Lowther Pinkerton is introducing the leaders to Kate. William was doing the same thing after her with his own guy for introductions.

I won't think that someone working at the White House or BP is going to address the President or the Queen as Barack or Liz. That is different than the CEO of Amazon. I see the president of my company occasionally in the hall and I used his first name, but I wouldn't do that to the US President or the Pope or to a police officer pulling my car over for a ticket.

Last edited:
I think people need to get over this idea that we are all equal. It has never been true in history and it is not true now.
If you are born a blonde blue eyed male you have won the genetic lottery and doors will open to you.
If you are born to a middle class white family in the suburbs with a mommy and daddy that stayed married and gave you a healthy home and a good education you will have many advantages that would not come to you if you were born to a mother of colour crack addict in the ghetto.
If you are born to a family that has had money for generations and sent you to all the right schools you will have positions and advantages that even the most gifted might never achieve.
If you are able to raise billions of dollars you may be able to get yourself elected President of the USA while someone more talented more qualified might be lucky to get themselves elected County Clerk because they cannot raise the needed funds.
People are just not equal and it does start at birth. It is just the way life is.
Some societies can claim to be meritocracies but that is more illusion than reality. Even countries that claim to poo poo titles seem to hand them out pretty easily "King of Swing", "Sultan of Swat". "Count Basie", "Duke Ellington", John "Duke" Wayne, King of Pop, Queen of Soul and of course some families even adopt regnal numbers "John D Rockefeller IV" or they allow their former public servants to retain titles like Ambassador, Governor, Senator long after they have left office and continue to be addressed by those titles for the rest of their lives. A glance at a White House state dinner guest list will reveal a considerable number of patriotic Americans listed as The Honorable Mr and Mrs not just plain egalitarian Mr and Mrs.

Last edited:
In her biography, Cherie Blair told of an instance when she was called Mrs. Blair by the Princess Royal. She told Princess Anne to call her, "Cherie" and Anne replied, "I'd rather not."

I think it is important to remember that the position of head of state of a country deserves the highest respect and regard (in most cases) and even though the person in that position is as equal to anyone else, the office they hold is not.

A royal head of state is "majesty" and a none royal head of state is "excellency". "Mr President" is the same as "Ma'am".

One calls ones headmaster "sir", one calls one's queen "Ma'am" and one would imagine that ones president should be "sir" or maybe "Mr President" - either way they are titles and names and honours that go more with the position of office rather than the individual person.

As a human, the Queen's life is as valuable as anyone elses, her role is as valuable to me as a doctors might be. We never call her by her name, because that is disrespectful to her office rather than to herself. We call out "Charles!" to get the attention of the Prince of Wales because he does not hold the office of head of state yet.

I would bow to the American President because his office is the highest in the land and as the human embodiment of that office he deserves my respect - I may not like him or her, I may be as equal as him (although if caught in a riot I know he'd be whisked away and I'd be left there standing!)

Titles, honours, names, ranks - they can all exist and can all be regarded highly and used legitimately without people putting themselves above everyone else by presuming a rank and title affects human equality - because it does not and it is a disingenuous myth to say that it does!

BTW, Princess Anne's comment - I love it! Reminds of when a photographer shouted at her to turn round towards the camera - "over here love" he said. She retorted, "I am not your love, I am your royal highness!".

Last edited:
BTW, Princess Anne's comment - I love it! Reminds of when a photographer shouted at her to turn round towards the camera - "over here love" he said. She retorted, "I am not your love, I am your royal highness!".

Oh, Anne - she's just like her father!

Back
Top Bottom