Bowing and Curtseying

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that was very nice despite the fact that the various news organizations love to make a story out of those that don't want to curtsey. So, even if Samantha Cameron doesn't like to do it, it's nice to see she at least did it once.

Even though I would never curtsey to anyone, (it's just too strange a concept in Israeli thinking; even the Americans find us more egalitarian than they are :ROFLMAO:) I still can not conceive how the wife of the PM could refuse to curtsey to the Head of State in a Constitutional Monarchy. I was not aware Samantha Cameron disliked curtseying to the Queen. I believe Cherie Blair did not curtsey; if I am mistaken, could someone please correct me? Thank you.:flowers:

it's possible that you are correct. I know that there was one wife of a PM that absolutely loathed it but now I'm not sure if it's Samantha or Cherie ? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a picture of Elizabeth ii bowing at Diana's coffin?It says on her wiki that she did.

Does anyone have a picture of Elizabeth ii bowing at Diana's coffin?It says on her wiki that she did.
Why would a reigning monarch bow to a princess?
Is Wiki a reliable source?:ermm:

In the West, the only thing the Monarch is inferior to is death. Therefore you pay respect to the dead with bowing your head and that is why HM bowed her head at Dianas coffin. it is like in the military, you salute the rank, not the person.

The Royal Family was gathered outside Buckingham Palace and as Diana's coffin passed by the Queen bowed her head.
I can't find a picture in a Google Images search but it was shown in the live broadcast at the time.

The Royal Family was gathered outside Buckingham Palace and as Diana's coffin passed by the Queen bowed her head.
I can't find a picture in a Google Images search but it was shown in the live broadcast at the time.

I remember seeing that. Did the Queen bow to Diana or to the Royal Standard on the coiffin?

This is a terrible screen shot, but here's the queen bowing her head when Diana's coffin passes by Buckingham Palace. http://i53.tinypic.com/2hwgxg5.jpg

female

I remember seeing that. Did the Queen bow to Diana or to the Royal Standard on the coiffin?

The Queen bowed to Diana, not to the Royal Standard. It's not as unusual as one would think. For example, when Princess Beatrice, (Queen Victoria's daughter) was laid to rest in St. George's Chapel, Windsor, both Queen Elizabeth (this was the future QM as the Princess died in 1944) and Queen Ena of Spain, as the highest ranking mourners, curtseyed as the Princess's coffin was lowered into the vault. As HM knew she would not be going to the burial, I have always been told that she bowed in respect in place of the curtsey she would have made if Diana had been buried in Royal ground when the cortege passed, saluting both Diana's rank as mother to a future King as well as the duties Diana carried out when she was a full member of the BRF.

I am sure there are members here who would know the exact protocol far better than I, but that was also the opinion of Hugo Vickers, and he usually knows whereof he speaks.:flowers:

It is the Anglican tradition to bow one's head as ANY coffin passes by. It can be on the street, in a church or when remains are viewed either in state or in repose. The Queen would do this if she were on the street and our coffin passed by.

Her bow had nothing to do with Diana's status, other than being a human.

Margret also bowed her head - just a little after the queen - so its not on that picture to be seen.

It is the Anglican tradition to bow one's head as ANY coffin passes by. It can be on the street, in a church or when remains are viewed either in state or in repose. The Queen would do this if she were on the street and our coffin passed by.

Her bow had nothing to do with Diana's status, other than being a human.

The BBC coverage certainly did not think this was the case and indeed remarked that the only other time the Queen had been seen bowing her head was at the Cenotaph. As Tom Fleming was certainly part of the Establishment, I don't think the bow would have elicited the response that it did if it were just the normal protocol at any and every Church of England funeral.

Kasumi said:

If memory serves--and we all know that way madness lies LOL--the Queen inclined her head as Diana's coffin passed
By. If this isn't right please correct me'!::flowers::

Does anyone have a picture of Diana curtseying to anyone?:)

If memory serves--and we all know that way madness lies LOL--the Queen inclined her head as Diana's coffin passed
By. If this isn't right please correct me'!::flowers::

Just look below at #1031, the picture is there.

I'm not sure why there's so much speculation on who in the royal family bowed their head when Diana's coffin passed. You can view the entire funeral on YouTube. Here's the relevant portion: http://youtu.be/wyYWPpk2ueM

I am surprised that Margaret would curtsey to Diana after the divorce, when Diana was no longer HRH!

Honestly,I can't stand the thought of curtsying,not even bowing to a royal.Just because there royal does not mean there no more important than anyone else.

Last edited:
British Protocol and Etiquette

Hi all,

I understand the protocol which the Palace dictates but I have a question.

The idea of a neck bow was not always so. Especially to a female Member of the Royal Family. It was a kiss of the hand (whether it be touching the skin or stopping before touching the skin) or to a ring. And in cases for the Royal Family in general it was the 'bow and scrape' bowing while drawing the right foot backwards placing the left arm on your chest and extending the right arm outwards.

Can this still be done? It is historical and was traditional? Does it need to be a handshake or a neck bow, also the curtsies were very low.

Many thanks for sharing. That was a hoot! The Queen Mum looked pretty good the last summer of her life. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom