The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-28-2020, 04:39 PM
Majesty

Vere Harmsworth curtseyed to Princess Margaret of Great Britain at the Gala Ballet in 1971.
http://www.alamy.com/princess-margar...262761020.html

Old 01-30-2020, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Her Excellency,Doña Simoneta Gómez-Acebo curtsies to her 1st cousin H.M.King Felipe VI at the funeral of her mother,HRH The Infanta Pilar of Spain yesterday.

https://images.app.goo.gl/bzNPTahbCTWaiiE87

Old 02-03-2020, 11:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Joaquin Phoenix curtsies to Prince William at the BAFTAs

https://twitter.com/i/status/1224339256216301568
Old 02-03-2020, 01:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

Joaquin Phoenix @BAFTA 2020 acceptance speech -

https://www.theguardian.com/global/v...e-speech-video
Old 02-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post

Is that supposed to be a joke ? No pun intended.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Is that supposed to be a joke ? No pun intended.

Hard telling...the dude is kinda out there at times.

LaRae
Old 02-08-2020, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
She kind of did - there was a better photo, but I can't find it now - look here: https://66.media.tumblr.com/a17c8498...f56c0c2e2.gifv

First, she puts her leg back and curtsies, and then takes step down the stairs. Blink and you miss it moment, but she's so young it doesn't really matter that much. It seems like she did it a bit later than everyone and Catherine was already walking down the stairs, so it looks weird and funny, but I'd count that as a curtsey.

I'm curious as to how young female Royals normally are when they learn how to curtsy?
Old 03-09-2020, 01:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

https://twitter.com/i/status/1237043000032800772

Meghan's curtesy to Prince Charles at the Commonwealth Services
Old 03-09-2020, 05:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

That is interesting.. I wonder if this will be the new normal. Since the couple no longer will be using their HRH status they be curtsying to everyone who is actively using their HRH?

Anyone it is a nice gesture to see. The Prince of Wales has shown tremendous generosity and kindness to Meghan since she joined the family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

Old 03-09-2020, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

That's adorable! Is it me or did Harry nod to his pa? I'm sure he did......aww
Old 03-09-2020, 10:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
That is interesting.. I wonder if this will be the new normal. Since the couple no longer will be using their HRH status they be curtsying to everyone who is actively using their HRH?

Anyone it is a nice gesture to see. The Prince of Wales has shown tremendous generosity and kindness to Meghan since she joined the family.
She's always made a curtesy to Charles when required...along with Camilla, The Queen etc. William/Kate have bowed and made a curtesy to them as well.

They may not be using their HRH in commercial venues but they are still HRH so I expect no change in who they give a bow/nod/curtesy to.

LaRae
Old 03-10-2020, 04:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Nah, I don't think so. Zara and Peter don't have titles or HRHs and they don't, so I'd say that's just not required. To the Queen and Prince Philip, for sure, the rest of the BRF, doubtful.

Quote:
She's always made a curtesy to Charles when required...along with Camilla, The Queen etc. William/Kate have bowed and made a curtesy to them as well.

They may not be using their HRH in commercial venues but they are still HRH so I expect no change in who they give a bow/nod/curtesy to.

LaRae
Could you - or someone else - point me to an example of Meghan curtseying to Prince Charles or Camilla? (Other than this, of course?) I find it a bit weird, first I thought her timing was just off and she was curtseying to HMQ, but then I went back and we clearly see her doing it twice. I don't remember any other occasion when she - or Harry - did that.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent

^ The 'convention' has been [and is], to bow or curtsey to HMQ [and the DoE, when present] on first seeing them.
It has never been usual to do so to other HRH's - even when they are heirs, as their rank [HRH] is technically the same.
I have never seen that done, although Pranter thinks it has been..

That it was done yesterday looks very like 'PR theatrics' aimed solely at Public opinion, by someone who regards that as 'all important'..
Old 03-10-2020, 05:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
Nah, I don't think so. Zara and Peter don't have titles or HRHs and they don't, so I'd say that's just not required. To the Queen and Prince Philip, for sure, the rest of the BRF, doubtful.

Could you - or someone else - point me to an example of Meghan curtseying to Prince Charles or Camilla? (Other than this, of course?) I find it a bit weird, first I thought her timing was just off and she was curtseying to HMQ, but then I went back and we clearly see her doing it twice. I don't remember any other occasion when she - or Harry - did that.
If you look at the same event last year you will see Meghan curtsey to Charles but not Camilla. I think there was another event but I just cannot recall the details.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
If you look at the same event last year you will see Meghan curtsey to Charles but not Camilla. I think there was another event but I just cannot recall the details.

Here’s the video; around 7:52 is the small curtsy to Charles:

https://youtu.be/Uk7LGafVZ38
Old 03-10-2020, 05:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
^ The 'convention' has been [and is], to bow or curtsey to HMQ [and the DoE, when present] on first seeing them.
It has never been usual to do so to other HRH's - even when they are heirs, as their rank [HRH] is technically the same.
I have never seen that done, although Pranter thinks it has been..

That it was done yesterday looks very like 'PR theatrics' aimed solely at Public opinion, by someone who regards that as 'all important'..
That is correct, that is why there have been incorrect comments in the past when it appears that certain members of the family have been disrespectful when the reality is that these individuals have seen the queen earlier in The day.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I do wonder, though, what the reasoning is behind it since it doesn't appear that it's something that's expected like it would be for the Queen and the DoE. I know we saw a couple of occasions when it was very clear that Harry said something like "now" or "curtsey" and even one when she appeared to ask him "now? or do it now?" or something like that. So I do have to wonder if she's simply never really gotten the hang of who she's supposed to curtsey to or if there's some reason that she thinks she's supposed to curtsey to Charles or what the issue is.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM
Aristocracy

This pic shows how it is done properly...:)
.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I agree Warren. In the old days Royal Protocol was observed properly and with real respect. I rather wish it was still that way. Thank you Warren.