Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Does anyone know how these royals met?

Queen Mother and George VI

Prince Floris and Princess Aimee

Old 01-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Majesty

During the wedding festivities of her brother Frederick Francis to Princess Alexandra of Hanover in Schwerin in June 1904, Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin got to know her future husband, German Crown Prince Wilhelm.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Royal Highness

Some of the Younger royals.

Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel met at the gym he owned. He was her personal trainer.

Prince Carl Philip and Sofia met while he was dining with a friend and she walked by with her friends at Båstad. Their friends knew each other.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met at University. They read the same classes and lived in the same hall. Plus some of her friends knew some of hers.

Earl and Countess of Wessex met when his tennis partner couldn't come so she got paired up with him instead.

So many cute stories :)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
Some of the Younger royals.

Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel met at the gym he owned. He was her personal trainer.

Prince Carl Philip and Sofia met while he was dining with a friend and she walked by with her friends at Båstad. Their friends knew each other.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge met at University. They read the same classes and lived in the same hall. Plus some of her friends knew some of hers.

Earl and Countess of Wessex met when his tennis partner couldn't come so she got paired up with him instead.

So many cute stories :)
Earl and Countess of Wessex met at a real tennis PR event which Sophie worked for. Sue Barker the original person who was going to pose with Edward couldn't turn up so Sophie was chosen to do it as she was pretty and blonde. Edward took an immediate liking to her and shortly after contacted her to thank her for all the work she had done and asked her out ro dinner. He obviously had an ulterior motive! It's a nice way to meet each other and on their wedding cake they had tennis rackets at the top as a nod to how they met.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Earl and Countess of Wessex met at a real tennis PR event which Sophie worked for. Sue Barker the original person who was going to pose with Edward couldn't turn up so Sophie was chosen to do it as she was pretty and blonde. Edward took an immediate liking to her and shortly after contacted her to thank her for all the work she had done and asked her out ro dinner. He obviously had an ulterior motive! It's a nice way to meet each other and on their wedding cake they had tennis rackets at the top as a nod to how they met.
How cute! :) I only knew a vague version of it! :P
Old 01-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
How cute! :) I only knew a vague version of it! :P
It is cute and complete stroke of luck because if Sue had been there that day then Sophie would never have had her photo taken with Edward

It's always nice to see how everyone meets.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
It is cute and complete stroke of luck because if Sue had been there that day then Sophie would never have had her photo taken with Edward

It's always nice to see how everyone meets.
Yeah, I love those chance storys. I know of an old couple (sorry for going OT but it's so cute) that met at night. She was hanging with some friends and started leaning at a door. The door swung open and she fell into a porcelain store. The door was unlocked even though it was night and an alarm went of when she fell in. He was the night watchman and that is how they met :P

Is there any more very chancy royal meetings out there? :)
Old 01-26-2016, 07:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post

IloveCP, Prince Albert (George VI) had met Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon when they were children. Elizabeth and Albert had met in 1905 when they attended a party the Duchess of Buccleuch gave for her grandchildren at Montagu House.
Elizabeth saw Albert at the Royal Air Force Ball at the Ritz on the evening of July 8, 1920.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Majesty

Haakon and Mette-Marit: At the Quart music festival in the hometown of Mette-Marit, Kristiansand.

Frederik and Mary: Frederik and Mary met at the Slip Inn during the 2000 Summer Olympics on September 16 in Sydney.

Victoria and Daniel: In 2002, Victoria and Daniel met when Daniel became her personal trainer.

William and Catherine: William and Catherine met while studying at the University of St. Andrews.

Willem-Alexander and Máxima: Willem and Máxima met in Seville, Spain, during the April Fair.

Felipe and Letizia: met at a dinner organized by Pedro Erquicia.

How did other royal couples meet?
Harry and Meghan
Harald and Sonja
Carl Gustaf and Sílvia
Albert and Charlene
Philippe and Mathilde
Albert and Paola
Astrid and Lorenz
Guilaume and Stéphanie
Félix and Claire
Old 03-14-2021, 01:48 PM
Royal Highness

Harry and Meghan were set up on a blind date by mutual friend Marcus Anderson

Albert and Charlene met when she participated in a swimming competition in Monaco

Phillipe and Mathilde met at a tennis match apparently and IIRC Phillippe says the second he saw her he went over and talked to her and knew they would be married one day.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Guillaume of Luxembourg met Stephanie de Lannoy during a weekend house party organized by mutual friends in about 2005-2006. However it has been reported that Gui was in a relationship (Pia Haraldsen?) and nothing developed from the initial meeting.

Fast forward to the fall of 2010. Another weekend house party organized by their mutual aristocrat group of friends, this time in Germany. Both were single. They began a (very) discreet relationship. It was in late 2011 that rumors began circulating in the press and were confirmed by Guillaume around his 30th birthday. But he did not provide a name, and Stephanie's identity was not verified until the engagement was announced.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-14-2021, 03:33 PM
Majesty

I love to know these stories. It is always interesting to know how royal couples met. Thanks for all the information.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Indeed, it's interesting to see how the couple met. I wonder if any of them have ever gone back to the places they first met?
Old 03-14-2021, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

I am pretty sure I remember reading that Princess Astrid of Belgium met her future husband Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este during a grand ball at Laeken Palace to celebrate her 18th birthday. I don't remember if the Ball was hosted by King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola, or Astrid's parents.

I do remember that it was love at first sight for both Astrid and Lorenz...but because of Astrid's very young age and the fact that Lorenz was a little older, her father insisted that the engagement be delayed until she was at least 21 years old.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 03-14-2021, 06:30 PM
Majesty

Carl Gustaf & Silvia met during Munich Olympic Games when she worked as an interpreter.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I am pretty sure I remember reading that Princess Astrid of Belgium met her future husband Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este during a grand ball at Laeken Palace to celebrate her 18th birthday. I don't remember if the Ball was hosted by King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola, or Astrid's parents.

I do remember that it was love at first sight for both Astrid and Lorenz...but because of Astrid's very young age and the fact that Lorenz was a little older, her father insisted that the engagement be delayed until she was at least 21 years old.
This story, to be true, is wonderful.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post

They were members of the same student union Minerva (I guess you might look at it as the elite fraternity/sorority (it is mixed) within a given city) in Leiden; the generic name for these specific student unions is 'Corps'. There is only one in each city. Their rival is typically the Roman Catholic student union that isn't really RC in anyway but just a slightly different version of what you would also find at a Student Corps.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:02 PM
Majesty

Prince Friso and Mabel met in Brussels in 2000. Does anyone know more?

I think Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien have known each other since they were children. Their families have always been close.

I think this is the right topic to put the first photos that exist of the real couples.

Felipe and Letizia:
https://c9.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/...368_AMSTb.jpeg

Frederik and Mary:
https://c1.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/...262_NBAkB.jpeg

William and Catherine:
https://c10.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt...371_nIST9.jpeg

Willem-Alexander and Maxima:
https://c2.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/...373_YpzZF.jpeg

Haakon and Mette-Marit:
https://c4.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/...375_vdDmI.jpeg

Victoria and Daniel:
https://c5.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/...0378_jTuLJ.png
Old 05-07-2021, 03:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
There are earlier photos taken of Victoria and Daniel but that is the first picture of them kissing.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
There are earlier photos taken of Victoria and Daniel but that is the first picture of them kissing.
What was their first photo together?