Careers For The Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reading this thread I have the idea many people think that royals enjoy a life funded by the taxpayer and in return cut a ribbon here or a visit there. In most monarchies only a very core part of the royal family enjoys a form of a state income. All royals outside that circle have to earn their own living. That counts for Spain, for Denmark, for Luxembourg, for the Netherlands. Let us take the Netherlands as an example, the only three royals to receive a state income are the King, Queen Máxima and Princess Beatrix. All other members of the (extended) royal family do not receive any Euro and have to provide in their own income. Let us see what they do and be surprised how active all these persons (grandchildren of a Queen) are:

Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (brother of the King): works in Brussels as a chef de cabinet at the European Comission

The Duke of Parma (cousin of the King): works in Amsterdam as director of the Institute for Sustainable Innovation & Development

Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme (cousin of the King): works in Amsterdam as interior designer specialized in historical residential interiors

Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme (cousin of the King): works in Vatican City as Ambassador representing the Kingdom of the Netherlands at the Holy See

Princess María Carolina de Bourbon de Parme (cousin of the King): works at the United Nations in Geneva where she leads Emergency Response Missions

Prince Maurits van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven (cousin of the King): independent businessman with a company developing and promoting electric cars

Prince Bernhard van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven (cousin of the King): independent businessman with a company owning a lot of prime real estate in and around Amsterdam

Prince Pieter-Christiaan van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven (cousin of the King): is a lieutenant-colonel in the Royal Marechaussee (a constabulary force in the armed forces) and works at the Operational Staff in The Hague

Prince Floris van Oranje-Nassau, Van Vollenhoven (cousin of the King): works as a director of KPMG Corporate Finance in Amsterdam

Bernardo Guillermo (cousin of the King): independent businessman and owner of an industrial design studio in New York

Nicolás Guillermo (cousin of the King): independent businessman and graphic designer

Juliana Guillermo (cousin of the King): independent businesswoman and artist in London (paintings, sculptures)

Last edited:
It probably all depends on how you see a specific job, for me an elementary school teacher would be intelligent enough to teach children stuff, sometimes strict and sometimes lenient and especially know when to be which :)
Sometimes playful and like to hang out with kids and especially: being able to not put yourself first in the job...
For me Sophie, Countess of Wessex could be one...

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge could be a behavioral support teacher.

I will stick with my original except for William, Kate & Harry (somewhat).

William: a pilot
Kate: athletic director
Harry: soldier of fortune

In September 1993, Hereditary Prince Alois and Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein moved to London.
In London Prince Alois worked in an accountant firm.

Hereditary Prince Alois could be an accountant.

A trained pilot, King Philippe I of the Belgians served in the Belgian armed forces.

King Philippe I of the Belgians could be a pilot.

Prince Ernest August of Hanover could be an agriculturalist.
He attended the Royal Agricultural College in Cirencester, England.

Last edited by a moderator:
Catherine, duchess of Cambridge could be a hospice nurse.

Since he is fluent in French, English, German, Spanish, and Luxembougish HGD Guillaume of Luxembourg could work for the UN as some type of special envoy or ambassador. His wife Stephanie could teach Russian literature at the high school or college level since she has a Master's degree in it.

Charlene of Monaco could open a string of global swim camps for under-privileged children financed by her husband's very deep pockets.

Charlotte Casiraghi could model full time, or follow her late grandmother's path to Hollywood and become a film star.;)

I think Stephanie of Luxembourg would do great with a career that involved working with the elderly.

But how, and in what capacity? She expressed an interest in the problems of the aged during her engagement interview but two years later there has been but one visit to a rest home with Guillaume(that we know about)

On the other hand she has been described by her mother-in-law Maria-Teresa(in Point de Vue) as one of the most intelligent people she has ever met. She is said to often be reading 3-4 books at once. During one interview I saw her light up when she was asked to discuss her favorite authors and their work. She is a linguist, like her husband.

I think all of that points to a fulfilling career in academia, if she had chosen that path for herself.

Princess Madeleine said she would like to be in interior design in the future, therefore I think she would work in that profession if she was not a royal.

Princess Laurentein of The Netherlands is Patron for Literacy and Learning. She might be a teacher or a children's librarian.

Working female royals.

I’m curious to know what sort of hours Royal ladies work, on average, per week.
Anybody keeping an eye on their engagements?

Thank you Osipi and Iluvbertie. TheBrits are well documented. But what about other European Royalty. I’m particularly interested in the Danes.

Princess Mary of Denmark- her usual work before she married Prince Frederick or she could be a Public Relations officer for a fashion company,

Prince Edward- A television and movie producer

The Late Princess Diana- she could have been a social worker, working for humanity..or continue to be a kindergarten teacher

Queen Elizabeth II - Suppose she's not the Queen of England, I think she'll make a good politician :)

Prince Charles - Professional Polo player,he could be a farmer,art dealer

Prince Andrew - Professional golf player

Charlotte Casiraghi- Fashion model or an actress

Princess Stephanie of Monaco- Singer or a circus performer

Princess Caroline of Monaco - she could be a movie actress like her mom..she could be a celebrity and a UN goodwill ambassador at the same time

Prince Harry- DJ at a disco club or a bar tender.. ;)

Queen Elizabeth II was too good of a person to be a politican

Prince Andrew is reputed to be a very talented photographer.

I think Catherine PoW could have a career as a photographer, as well as a teacher for young children. She seems very comfortable with them, as do Victoria and Madeleine of Sweden.

HGD Guillaume could be a language instructor, he is fluent in at least five.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom