Popularity of the Royal Family in Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well if I had a choice of CPrincess , for my country MM would win hands down!! she really is the modern Princess!!

Marengo said:
I do not think she objected commoners, as she is married to a commoner herself. I think she objected the kind of commoners (controversial ones).

Yes, thats right. Thank you.

CP MM should be popular...although she hasn't got the clean image that most of the other CP had - so ok, she had a bit of a colorful past, there's nothing wrong, she didn't commit any major crime. I thnk she's come a long way and the road she's had to travel on since marrying into the royal family hasn't been an easy road but she's walked along the road with her head held high and with each passing day, grown and bloom into a good role model and representative for Norway.

I hope she's truely popular in Norway - she deserve it.

I have to say that MM is not at all unpopular in Norway, her popularity grows more and more every day

bolla said:
I have to say that MM is not at all unpopular in Norway, her popularity grows more and more every day

That's good to hear. There were a couple of articles in aftenposten that suggested that she was unpopular. Oh, goody!

bolla said:
As recently as January 2006 Aftenposten had an article that confirmed that her popularity was at 28.6 percent, near the bottom, while her husband's is 52 percent. Maybe these months long maternity leaves and other no-shows at public events is the reason.

Article: Crown Prince gets high marks - survey shows he is doing the best job of all the royals...his wife and sister are doing the worst.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1192535.ece

I don't think the article says anything, except give a lot of numbers - it doesn't say how many people were polled, which is a downside.

You can also turn it around and say that 11% of the asked thinks that Mette-Marit does a very poor job. I don't think that is a lot. There's a lot more in the positive column than in the negative,.,, *shrugs*

norwegianne said:
I don't think the article says anything, except give a lot of numbers - it doesn't say how many people were polled, which is a downside.

You can also turn it around and say that 11% of the asked thinks that Mette-Marit does a very poor job. I don't think that is a lot. There's a lot more in the positive column than in the negative,.,, *shrugs*
Fair enough.

crisiñaki said:
:confused: The same happened with Letizia and Mary and they still carry on with their public acts as nothing happened so, where does that leave Mette-Marit?:confused:

Agree!!!!
She went in Greece and UK for fun, not for support a cause!!!

fandesacs2003 said:
Agree!!!!
She went in Greece and UK for fun, not for support a cause!!!
The visit to the United Kingdom was a state visit commemorating Norway's centennial. She went to Greece as a godparent to a friend, who is a member of a non-reigning royal. I think christenings and state visits are important tasks in representing a monarchy.

Eliza said:
CP MM should be popular...although she hasn't got the clean image that most of the other CP had - so ok, she had a bit of a colorful past, there's nothing wrong, she didn't commit any major crime. I thnk she's come a long way and the road she's had to travel on since marrying into the royal family hasn't been an easy road but she's walked along the road with her head held high and with each passing day, grown and bloom into a good role model and representative for Norway.

I hope she's truely popular in Norway - she deserve it.
That is a very good point. Wether or not she is popular, she does deserve to be well-liked and respected, because I think it is hard for her to be a Princess. That sort of stuff doesn't come naturally to most people. I too can't ever think of this special woman as "bad" or unsuitable though.

Larzen, there was a poll recently and the Royal Family dropped further in public approval I believe. Does the public still place the blame on Mette-Marit joining the RF? I understand there has been public grumbling about Princess Martha Louise using her royal influence,but still insisting she's a private citizen. Please correct me if I have been misinformed. Thank you.:cool:

Hello everybody, after visiting here often as a member, I'd like to introduce myself as the newest member of the Norwegian moderating team. I look forward to working with Mandy and Norwegianne.

Since the popularity of the Royal Family has appeared from time to time in different threads in the Norwegian forums, we thought it would be a good idea to gather all the posts about the Royal Family's popularity from the various Current Events and other threads into one thread which would make the topic easier to follow.

We also included here posts you've made about individual royals' popularity-Mette-Merit, Haakon, Martha-Louise-because often the posts about one royal's popularity was related to the popularity of the family as a whole.

We hope that this new thread makes it easier to follow this topic and also keep the Current Events threads to the royals' Current Events.

Cheers.
ysbel
Norwegian forums moderator

King Harald is the people's favourite

VG made a Poll about which member of the Royal Family is the favourite one.

1. King Harald 46,5%

2. Crown Prince Haakon 28%

3. Queen Sonja 9,5%

4. Crown Princess Mette-Marit 4,2 %

5. Princess Märtha Louise 2,9 %

6. Ari Behn 1,5 %

Kong Harald folkets favoritt - Side2

Thanks Her_Majesty, find the numbers pretty low except for the king. Was the poll to a selective age group ?

Thanks Her_Majesty, find the numbers pretty low except for the king. Was the poll to a selective age group ?

Well, given that it is a total percentage, meaning that the poll only runs up to 100%, and 7.5% had no opinion, I don't see how you could have anyone have bigger numbers.

The poll was done among a representative selection of Norwegians. VG, who ordered the poll, have it separated into females and males (Ari is less popular with the females asked than the males). King Harald is the most popular in all the age groups asked.

A public relations consultant asked, said that it was only right that the King and his heir were in the top two spots - as it indicated that the Royal house was doing something right, when the heir didn't overshadow his father.

It was also pointed out that Märtha and Ari's low number indicate a success on their part as to the strategy they've been up to for the part year(s) to separate themselves a bit more from the royal house.
Kong Harald er kongehusets mest populære - VG Nett

Do the norway people support the royal?

How many % people support the royal. Do you think the princess Ingrid can become a queen or the royal will be disappeared before she becomes a queen.

:previous: During a recent visit the impression I got was that most Norwegians still adore the late King Olav and the affection gets less and less with each subsequent generation. Only time will tell if Ingrid ever becomes Queen of Norway or the democratisation of the monarchy will be its demise.:flowers:

It will be the same for Princess Elisabeth of Belgium , Princess Ariane of Netherland,
Princess Eleonore of Spain.

^I guess you mean Princess Catharina-Amalia of Netherlands..:)
Prince Willem's first child.

And Infanta Leonor, not Eleonore. :)

I always get the A's mixed it.

Media blamed for ‘Teflon monarchy’ : Views and News from Norway
The Norwegian royals enjoy widespread support and Thorgeir S Kolshus, a post-doctoral fellow at UiO, notes that the support can be viewed as a paradox in a country that’s run as a social welfare state. “Giving a family status and privileges because of who their forefathers were is far from the values (of social equality) we otherwise like to promote and recommend that the rest of the world follow,” Kolshus wrote in a lengthy commentary in newspaper Dagens Næringsliv (DN) on Wednesday.

A poll made by MMI for Dagbladet shows that 93 percent of those asked said the King is doing a good job for Norway.Only one percent says he is doing a poor job. Queen Sonja is also regarded highly - 81 percent thinks she is doing a good job.
The Crown Prince Couple also receive strong support: 89 percent think Crown Prince Haakon is doing a good job representing Norway, while 75 percent say the same about Crown Princess Mette-Marit.
King Harald a popular monarch | Culture
Only 25 percent think Princess Märtha Louise does a good job for the country. 27 percent think she does a bad job, and 43 percent think she does the job corresponding to the grade average. The Princess's husband, Ari Behn, who has no constitutional role, get very low scores. Only 5 percent believe he is doing a good job as a representative of the Norwegian royal family, 57 percent think he is doing a bad job.
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10049859
Google Translation

Last edited:
Good to know the Regnant and Crown Princely couple enjoy such high esteem in the country.
I daresay the future of the Norwegian Monarchy is quite safe for at least two more generations.
Rather unfortunate results for Princess Martha Louise and Ari Behn, but hardly surprising, all things considered.

I am delighted to read about their popularity, especially Mette-Marit's !

Why is Mette Marit's score considerably lower than that of her husband for example? Is it her background?

Why is Mette Marit's score considerably lower than that of her husband for example? Is it her background?

Probably some don't approve of her background while others dislike some of her fashion choices:D

I think because she does less work as her husband. We can see Haakon more in public as MM.

The queen has about the same point spread as MM compared to their husbands, which seems normal to me....

Back
Top Bottom