The Palais De Monaco

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Princely Palace has participated in the 4th edition of the Palace Day today:

** fb gallery **

It was looted and left in a terrible state following the French Revolution thankfully its been lovingly restored.

The Palace Day looks like an interesting visit.

I can't recall if the Princes Palace put up a Christmas Tree in Palace courtyard?

Earlier this week, Prince Albert visited the restoration site of the "Grand Apartments" of the Prince's Palace.
The Sovereign Prince, who pays particular attention to the heritage and historical enhancement of his residence, decided, almost five years ago, to carry out a fundamental restoration of the painted decorations, exterior and interior, of the Palace; but also to renew the presentation of public visits, open from April to October.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...3PZEba0Fz69CeJ7VeLpX8url91WSMVnl8&__tn__=HH-R

Earlier this week, Prince Albert visited the restoration site of the "Grand Apartments" of the Prince's Palace.
The Sovereign Prince, who pays particular attention to the heritage and historical enhancement of his residence, decided, almost five years ago, to carry out a fundamental restoration of the painted decorations, exterior and interior, of the Palace; but also to renew the presentation of public visits, open from April to October.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...3PZEba0Fz69CeJ7VeLpX8url91WSMVnl8&__tn__=HH-R

I had been wondering why it was taking so long to complete the restoration work in the palace courtyard. Now I understand as I didn't realise all of the state apartments are being done as well. There are only a limited number of craftsman in the world who can do this kind of work so it probably won't be fully complete for a while yet.

It is wonderful that Prince Albert has so much eye for his patrimonium.

The murals are magnificent...yes, it seems it turned out a bigger job than originally expected. Kudos to P Albert for protecting his family’s heritage and history in this way.

Possibly the best sited palace in Europe. :flowers:

It is wonderful that Prince Albert has so much eye for his patrimonium.

I agree. If memory serves, didn't Rainier III undertake to locate the remains of various Monagasque rulers and their consorts, and have them re-interred in the vault of the Cathedral? This took place around the time of the birth of Princess Stephanie in 1965.

In any case, I hope this interest in and respect for the preservation of the Grimaldi patrimony is in turn passed on to Prince Jacques.;)

The murals are astonishingly beautiful.

Last edited:
A lot of restoration and rebuilding was done during the long reign of Rainier III,the palace had been devastated during the French Revolution and some parts were demolished including the southern wing which was rebuilt.

Possibly the best sited palace in Europe. :flowers:

I am not sure. The Grimaldis themselves have houses in the nearby Provence to escape the hectic in the tiny principality. They have a pied-à-terre in Paris and of course the Château and Domaine de Marchais in Picardie (close to Belgium) , which surface of lands and forests is much bigger than the whole principality at the Méditerranée.

Château de Marchais: picture

Last edited:
I am not sure. The Grimaldis themselves have houses in the nearby Provence to escape the hectic in the tiny principality. They have a pied-à-terre in Paris and of course the Château and Domaine de Marchais in Picardie (close to Belgium) , which surface is much bigger than the whole principality at the Méditerranée.

Château de Marchais: picture

That's me not being clear. I meant in terms of its picturesque location - the scenic combination of being set high with hills behind and the Mediterranean in front.

Lovely chateau!

Marchais is one of the most enchanting castles I have ever seen. I read somewhere that it dates back to the Renaissance king Francis I of France?

Marchais has it’s own thread.
Marchais Estate https://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4265

That's me not being clear. I meant in terms of its picturesque location - the scenic combination of being set high with hills behind and the Mediterranean in front.

Lovely chateau!

Yes. The best spot on the town's citadel. Absolutely true
And a magnificent (and big!) palace.

Picture.

I agree. If memory serves, didn't Rainier III undertake to locate the remains of various Monagasque rulers and their consorts, and have them re-interred in the vault of the Cathedral? This took place around the time of the birth of Princess Stephanie in 1965.

In any case, I hope this interest in and respect for the preservation of the Grimaldi patrimony is in turn passed on to Prince Jacques.;)

The murals are astonishingly beautiful.

I wonder if the birth of Prince Jacques and Princess Gabriella precipitated this extensive restoration work. I'm not suggesting that PA wouldn't have taken care of such things anyway but perhaps the birth of his heirs concentrated his mind a bit more on what he wanted to leave the next generation. Apparently Roc Agel has also had a massive overhaul recently so both it and the palace should be in splendid condition by the time PJ inherits them.

I had the same idea as you Sophie25

The restauration began just after the Birth of the twins in january 2015

The restauration will go on still many years

Th private appartments were also restaurated

I had the same idea as you Sophie25

The restauration began just after the Birth of the twins in january 2015

The restauration will go on still many years

Th private appartments were also restaurated

Yes I think so, I think PA will want everything to be just right for when PJ eventually inherits which I hope will still be for at least another two decades from now.

^^^previous
And P Gabriella, will she inherit any of the properties?

All these wonderful old buildings need updating and careful renovating every now and then.
Imagine how many power points were needed in the 1950's compared to today.
Imagine a 1960's bathroom.
And lets not forget how many guests were smoking cigars etc in the hay days of 1920's right thru to 2000's for instance. All that cigarette smoke embedded into wallpaper etc.

All these wonderful old buildings need updating and careful renovating every now and then.
Imagine how many power points were needed in the 1950's compared to today.
Imagine a 1960's bathroom.
And lets not forget how many guests were smoking cigars etc in the hay days of 1920's right thru to 2000's for instance. All that cigarette smoke embedded into wallpaper etc.

The work must be costing millions but then money is no object for Prince Albert.

The work must be costing millions but then money is no object for Prince Albert.

I had no idea that the prince was so wealthy until I just looked it up after reading your post. He certainly can afford it!

I had no idea that the prince was so wealthy until I just looked it up after reading your post. He certainly can afford it!

Well, it depends! Surely he, Prince Albert II, is a billionaire, but this does not mean, he has a billion in cash!

He had to sell the Napoleon Bonaparte collection of the Grimaldis for the palace renovations.

Like so many royals and nobles: privately wealthy in assets (properties, domains, artworks) which does not necessarily translate into cash flow.

The late Duchess of Alba, one of Spain's most wealthy nobles, once famously remarked that a Rembrandt at her wall does not do the shopping in the supermarket.

But as reigning Prince, Albert also has revenues from the principality, which helps his cash position. The Maison Princier has an annual budget of some 35 million Euro from the principality: https://www.lepoint.fr/economie/de-quoi-vit-la-principaute-de-monaco-23-05-2015-1930610_28.php

Last edited:
Well, it depends! Surely he, Prince Albert II, is a billionaire, but this does not mean, he has a billion in cash!

He had to sell the Napoleon Bonaparte collection of the Grimaldis for the palace renovations.

I don't think he 'had' to sell the collection. Apparently he and his sisters had a bit of a clear out of stuff that they simply didn't want to keep anymore and that collection was among it. I think they got £1 million just for one of Napoleon's hats so why not put it towards the works at the palace?

^^^previous
And P Gabriella, will she inherit any of the properties?

Like Princess Caroline and Princess Stéphanie, Princess Gabriella will have a lifelong carefree life. But of course the bulk of the possessions of the Maison Princier will be assignated to the Sovereign Prince. He must be able to maintain the dignity and prestige as head of state and chef of the illustrious ancestral House. That Prince Albert puts so much into preservation of his House's fabulous heritage shows how much it means to him and undoubtedly he will pas this awareness to his son.

I don't think he 'had' to sell the collection. Apparently he and his sisters had a bit of a clear out of stuff that they simply didn't want to keep anymore and that collection was among it. I think they got £1 million just for one of Napoleon's hats so why not put it towards the works at the palace?

He gets 35 million a year and he needs it all. The secretariate, the archives, the security, the transportation, the staffing, the logistics, the facilitary and intendance costs: the money flows out of his purse. Luckily the principality offers a similar flow into his purse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Princess Caroline and Princess Stéphanie, Princess Gabriella will have a lifelong carefree life. But of course the bulk of the possessions of the Maison Princier will be assignated to the Sovereign Prince. He must be able to maintain the dignity and prestige as head of state and chef of the illustrious ancestral House. That Prince Albert puts so much into preservation of his House's fabulous heritage shows how much it means to him and undoubtedly he will pas this awareness to his son.

I hope, what I write now is not over-simplyfying...- but Prince Rainier III. was said to be worth between 1.5 and 2 billion Dollar, while the now reigning Prince is said, to be worth $ 1 billion.

So, I am somewhat sure, that Albert's sisters inherited a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom