General information and questions about Monaco and the Princely Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are som majoe events along the year:

January: International Circus Festival ( this year: 20 - 28 January 05)
Saint Devote celebration

March: Rose Ball

May : Anual Grand Prix Formula One

August: Red Cross Ball

November 19th: Monaco National Day

December: Christmas celebrations - major charity evens

Josefine said:
who is usally attend what event
Well, ....:

Circus: all the family

St. Devote: Steph and Albert

Rose Ball: All the Family

Grand Prix : All the family

Red Cross Ball: all the fam

MND: all the fam

XMAS: all the fam

thank you i will post that at the chit chat forum if you got news on thing the royal family will do i would love to hear about it and put it in the calander for all our royal watchers

i hope prince reiner is doing better i hate to see people ill..its so sad to see or hear of it

Prince Albert's new PR woman

As has been announced yesterday, from now on Christiane STahl will be responsible for the communication. (read article in current events tread)

She has been working for Chirac, Hariri and other VIPs.

What do you think is going to change. What do you think should change?
Do you think she will be able to repair te image of the Prince's family and Monaco?

How do you think she will go about it?

What do you know about her and her previous work? What is her professional reputation?

;)
paca said:
As has been announced yesterday, from now on Christiane STahl will be responsible for the communication. (read article in current events tread)

She has been working for Chirac, Hariri and other VIPs.

What do you think is going to change. What do you think should change?
Do you think she will be able to repair te image of the Prince's family and Monaco?

How do you think she will go about it?

What do you know about her and her previous work? What is her professional reputation?

First thing she should do is not leave Albert alone with a woman for one second. Keep him on a short leash and make sure she carries at all times in her purse protection for him, and I don't mean a gun but something to prevent him from shooting any more Albertozoids to swim out there. ;)

Is she in 'public' training as the wife (to come) ?

Paca, what do you mean by "will she repair the princely family's image"? What about their image is in need of repair? Anything specific or do you mean in general about Albert's having a son or something else? I wasn't aware that Albert having Alex had created any negative feeling about him. Personally, I like him better for it. I love that he has a child. For me, it has only helped him. But I suppose there are some in the media who say differently?

hrhcp said:
Is she in 'public' training as the wife (to come) ?
No, she is married with 3 children

CasiraghiTrio said:
Paca, what do you mean by "will she repair the princely family's image"? What about their image is in need of repair? Anything specific or do you mean in general about Albert's having a son or something else? I wasn't aware that Albert having Alex had created any negative feeling about him. Personally, I like him better for it. I love that he has a child. For me, it has only helped him. But I suppose there are some in the media who say differently?

What I mean is, that a lot of people have a rather negative image of Monaco and its family. It is nothing to with his son, but a lot of people have , when they are asked about Monaco and the Grimaldis will not come up with a lot of good. When you contrast that with his speech from July, you will find that most people will see a huge gap between the moral conduct he is demanding of his government and what most people see /remember in the Grimaldis personal lifes.

This is not supposed to be a moral judgement of their lifestyle, but a lot that has been communicated in the press and how it has come across to people has not been necessarily positive. Reason being that people not trained for it did the announcements (i.e. his lawyer) IMO PA is aware of that which is why he got himself a high profile advisor. Also his spontaneous interview style has been desastrous and ill prepared in the past. His face and gestures are all over the place. This is in incredible contrast to his prepared speeches. If he would have to stand for elections, people would have a hard time to decide whether to vote for him or not: on the one hand he gives brilliant speeches and if he comes across a microphone right afterwards he can't get any straight sentence out - neither in French nor in English btw. (just a sidemark, the French say he only stammers in French, the English say he doesn't stammer in French only in English, personally I think he is lost for words, wenever someone is asking questions he doesn't expect, even though he sould expect them and he just doesn't prepare any stock phrases as most politicians do) So people ask who is he really, the guy from the speech or the other one?

Generally what I'd like to know is, what do you think a new PR person should do, to make MC and its family shine again. Or do you think everything was fine before?

paca said:
Generally what I'd like to know is, what do you think a new PR person should do, to make MC and its family shine again. Or do you think everything was fine before?

Well, I think the Grimaldis should focus their PR on excentuating their uniqueness, as they've always tended to do. The other royal families may look down on them a bit for it, but I think the general public respects them more, loves them more for their openness and unstuffiness. The way Rainier used to openly show affection with her children and grandchildren is one thing which endeared him to people. Conversely, the Windsors of Britain and their "show no emotion" approach to official public life has created an idea of them as fake and calculating. It is much easier to respect someone who seems to be themselves than it is to be reverent to someone who seems to be a total phony. The Windsors have gotten better about this, but it's one area in which they could learn a great deal from the Grimaldis' example.
:)

Please Throw Us A Bone

Dear Ms. Stahl,

First of all congratulations on your recently appointed position as Prince Albert's new PR person. No doubt you have your work cut out for you, but given your credentials, surely you will do very well. :)

Now, onto my point... my dear, since you have come aboard, we have heard very little out of Monaco and practically nothing about Prince Albert. I can't help but think that this is a result of your astute ability to mitigate such chatter. While the Prince must indeed be thrilled with you, regretfully, here at the Forum, you have left us with little to discuss, dissect, and wonder about. Ms. Stahl, would you be so kind as to throw us a bone and let us hear something that is going on in Prince Albert's life. Please?
:confused:

Toledo said:
;)

First thing she should do is not leave Albert alone with a woman for one second. Keep him on a short leash and make sure she carries at all times in her purse protection for him, and I don't mean a gun but something to prevent him from shooting any more Albertozoids to swim out there. ;)

Hohahahahahahahahhohohohhohohahahahahaha... TOO FUNNY!!!!!! :)

CasiraghiTrio said:
Well, I think the Grimaldis should focus their PR on excentuating their uniqueness, as they've always tended to do. The other royal families may look down on them a bit for it, but I think the general public respects them more, loves them more for their openness and unstuffiness. The way Rainier used to openly show affection with her children and grandchildren is one thing which endeared him to people. Conversely, the Windsors of Britain and their "show no emotion" approach to official public life has created an idea of them as fake and calculating. It is much easier to respect someone who seems to be themselves than it is to be reverent to someone who seems to be a total phony. The Windsors have gotten better about this, but it's one area in which they could learn a great deal from the Grimaldis' example.
:)

Welcome back CasiraghiTrio!! You and I are so often on the same wavelength, and this statement you've made, I second!;)

Horseygal, you're letter is a riot!!! :)

Unfortunately, I believe Ms. Stahl is doing her job exceedingly well and only keeping him in the limelight for the work he is doing. Drat that woman! :D

I guess we'll just have to look forward to any appearances in Torino, his b'day in March, and the Arctic trip in April.

Paca, if you are out there, is there anything you can do to stir things up a bit? :confused: Or are you busy plotting our takeover???????? ;)

pinklady1991 said:

Unfortunately, I believe Ms. Stahl is doing her job exceedingly well and only keeping him in the limelight for the work he is doing. Drat that woman! :D

I guess we'll just have to look forward to any appearances in Torino, his b'day in March, and the Arctic trip in April.

Paca, if you are out there, is there anything you can do to stir things up a bit? :confused: Or are you busy plotting our takeover???????? ;)

I can't take credit for the funny letter - that goes to Freedom! Funny, nonetheless, however....:p

pinklady1991 said:

Yes, I think you are right. She must be doing her job very well, since even though we have picked up on Tashas appearance, the media hasn't. I alos think she might be brushing up on Stephs image. The only person showing up with sth to say recently was Steph. She was every where and came across very well and the media has picked up on it. And even though she probably does have a new BF by now (as we know from experience by now, she never stays alone for long), we haven't seen or heard anything yet. OK, it is not summer and it was fairly cold here, so she doesn't really live her life in the open at present, but still, I think that we are seeing some changes there too. Focus seems to be: bring the good sides out. Give them a positive image, but still one of a human being.

I keep looking for news on PA, but he just is a no show at present. He was at the festival, but basically he was Stephs walker;) :D I guess we really have to wait. I tried to see whether anything was interesting at St Devote mass, but he has decided that he will sit now at the same spot as he does on NH mass. And since the cameras don't get so close, he can basically go to sleep, cause no one really sees him. When he used to come on his own before, he was always sitting front row with the others (well his chair was a little further out, but not away from the rest like now where he sits in the altar room), Pater Penzo at the side.

Only one thing, I noticed (well actually my stomach), he send us 5 kg dates, so we would have a little snack before.

I guess for news we really have to wait. Too bad, I'll be skiing during the Olympics, so won't be able to follow news on the board. :( Well pink, I leave you in charge of keeping the territory;) :D

Dear Paca,
i read that you're sort of familiar with the Grimaldi family, so I would like to ask you for some infos about them. May I email you, please?

[moderator edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
More cruise line/Yacht business in Monaco

I was looking for a thread to put an excerpt of this article in (it's copy-righted, so dots are where I excerpted the text). Monaco is building a new port on the north side of the harbor (where the new Monaco Yacht Club will be) to be finished by the end of 2007. It seems there is a little controversy because Monaco prefers to focus on the higher end cruise line docking berths because these passengers tend to stay in Monaco for their excursion and spend money.
Lloyd's List International
April 20, 2006 Thursday

Port Hercule proves that if you build it, they will come

Since the installation of a semi-floating dock in 2002, Monaco's Port Hercule has seen a steady rise in cruise and mega-yacht traffic.

Further development will continue "zone by zone" on the north side, according to Mr Keusseoglou, with the addition, successively, of 35 new berths for large yachts, 22 new berths for mega-yachts and then a further 10 to 12 mega-yacht berths.
"Our target is 200 to 700-passenger vessels at the high end of the market," he says, "and we are trying to develop turnaround business."

He describes criticism of Monaco for trying to keep out larger ships with a less up-market clientele as misplaced.

It is simply a business decision implemented through higher fees.

"It is not a question of not wanting those clients, but when you bring a 2,000-passenger ship into port, it stays for the whole day and the passengers get off and depart on excursions in a fleet of buses.

"Not only does it create chaos in the town, but we get no gain for it either."

Mr Keusseoglou notes that the mission of Ports de Monaco is to generate income for the principality as a whole and not just for the port. A study completed in 2004, and now being updated, found that passenger spending in Monaco, not counting hotels and restaurants, ran to EU 20m ($24.5m).

He anticipates 216 cruise calls this year, up from 192 in 2005, while passenger numbers should rise to 200,000 from 135,000. Monaco's clients include such upmarket names as are Silversea, Seabourn, Radisson, SeaDream and Star Clippers, as well as MSC, the exception to the rule on big boats. The MSC Opera made its maiden call earlier this month and was greeted by PrinceAlbert, no less, an enthusiastic supporter of the local industry.
"As for the future, he says "we are practically full from May until the end of September and half-full in April and October. The big task now is to extend the season as much as we can."

Last edited:
BurberryBrit said:
Hey, since you're in Boston, will you try to see her (if it's open to the public)?

I'd like to try...but I'm sure it's going to be a zoo around the MFA. Also, for most of the day I'm going to be tied up at the Jr. League Show House in Cambridge. I scheduled my hours before I heard about the trip. Rats. :(

Well, I hope you get to catch a glimpse of her up close. I don't know what I'd do if a royal was in my neck of the woods! :p

Housing rights for Monegasque citizens: a model plan

Here's an interesting news article on the Principality of Monaco's website. all Monegasgue citizens will be guaranteed housing at an extremely reduced price (almost free). Perhaps perks like these are some of the reasons Monegasgue will forgive and continue to love the Grimaldis, regardless of their transgressions.

******* Here's an excerpt of the article:
http://www.gouv.mc/304/wwwnew.nsf/1909$/708FA8BD31A76B3FC125717F00360D4CGB?OpenDocument&1GB
Housing rights for Monegasque citizens: a model plan
Next autumn, the Government is to submit a bill to the National Council regarding accession to property by Monegasque citizens. On Monday, 29th May, the honourable Jean-Paul Proust, Minister of State for the Principality of Monaco, presented the press with the outlines of the proposed plan.

Housing more than 32,000 people over a total surface area of 202 hectares is no mean feat for anyone, yet this was the equation for which the Monegasque State has had to find the solution… at least as far as more than 7,600 nationals with the legitimate right to accommodation are concerned. As an indirect result, housing has become a right to which all Monegasque citizens are entitled, thanks to a housing allowance and State rental housing stock, (currently there are 2,000 housing units opposed to a planned 2,800 for 1st September 2008). The accommodation is offered under exceptional conditions: 6 to 8 euros rent per m2! “The housing rights available to any Monegasque citizen in Monaco are unique and exemplary: no other country in Europe offers such an advanced plan”, stressed the Minister of State. “The housing rights available to any Monegasque citizen in Monaco are unique and exemplary: no other country in Europe offers such an advanced plan”, stressed the Minister of State.

How does Monaco remains its independance? I know France is responsible for it to a point.The world has seen France-Germany-Greece-Italy and countless other countries lose it monarchies and yet tiny Monaco stays alive? I just find it fascinatin.g

Last edited by a moderator:
Until 2002 Monaco would be independent since male heirs to the throne were alive, after the extintion of the male line of the Princely Family it would have become France; in 2002 this pact between France and Monaco has been cancelled, and Monaco will be independent for ever...
But what does "for ever" mean? It's an human "for ever", or an historical "for ever"? (Excuse me for my philosophical thoughts...)

Back
Top Bottom