Christening of Countess Zaria: February 3, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Robijn

Moderator Emeritus , Royal Blogger
City
-
Country
Netherlands
According to GPD (A dutch newspaper) the christening of Countess Zaria, second daughter of HRH Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau and HRH Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau and sister of Countess Luana, is next weekend.

I'm not sure how reliable this source is though, would the Dutch Royal House announce this?

GDP is a very reliable source., so next weekend it is ;). The cout only anounced the christening of Countess Luana a few days before the actual event, so Iexpect the same for Zaria. Probably she will be baptised at Huis ten Bosch to.

Princess Robijn said:
According to GPD (A dutch newspaper) the christening of Countess Zaria, second daughter of HRH Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau and HRH Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau and sister of Countess Luana, is next weekend.

I'm not sure how reliable this source is though, would the Dutch Royal House announce this?

Prince Friso, Princess Mabel, Countess Luana and Countess Zaria are no members of the Royal House.

In essence the Royal House-website does only inform about official events around the members of the House but indeed, to meet the 'hunger' of the media for information, they also so now and then provide information on the other members of the royal family.

Last time, with the christening of Countess Luana, there was a press communiqué and also a few pictures.

Who will be the Godparents? (I don't remember who Luana's were)

LadyK said:
Who will be the Godparents? (I don't remember who Luana's were)

The Godparents are usually mentioned afterwards

The godparents of the highborn lady Emma Luana Ninette Sophie Countess van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg are:

- His Royal Highness Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (paternal uncle of the Countess)
- the high- and wellborn lady Christina Sophie Baroness Von der Recke (paternal cousin of the Countess)
- Ms Eveline Wisse Smit (maternal aunt of the Countess)
- Her Excellency Ms Emma Bonino, Italian Minister of International Trade and European Affairs (friend of the Countess' parents)

See the picture, with the two grandmothers of the Countess included.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
The Godparents are usually mentioned afterwards

The godparents of the highborn lady Emma Luana Ninette Sophie Countess van Oranje-Nassau, Jonkvrouwe van Amsberg are:

- His Royal Highness Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (paternal uncle of the Countess)
- the high- and wellborn lady Christina Baroness Von der Recke (paternal cousin of the Countess)
- Ms Eveline Wisse Smit (maternal aunt of the Countess)
- Her Excellency Ms Emma Bonino, Italian Minister of International Trade and European Affairs (friend of the Countess' parents)

See the picture, with the two grandmothers of the Countess included.

This is Sophie not Christina :flowers:

Christina = Sophie

The Watcher said:
This is Sophie not Christina :flowers:

I think I had Prince Claus' sister Christina in my mind.
Thanks, I have corrected it.

great news! we can see zaria again! this will be a christening as the luana's?

I would imagine that Willem Alexander would be a godfather this time around. I can't think of anyone else to be made a godparent as I am not that familiar with Mabel and Friso's crowd so to speak.

Nice to hear!! Will this be an event that many from the Dutch family will attend or will this be held on a smaller scale and more private?

Hope we get some pics!

Zonk mentioned that Willem Alexander might be godfather this time around. Just out of curiousity how many godchildren does Willem Alexander have?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's confirmed:

Het Koninklijk Huis

Countess Zaria will be christened at february 3th 2007. The godparents will be HRH the Prince of Orange, HRH Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme, Ruben Abeling, Nicoline Wisse Smit and Maria Luz Luano.

Nicoline is the eldest sister of Mabel, right?

The text of the communiqué:

On behalf of Their Royal Highnesses Prince Friso and Princess Mabel, the RVD (= Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst / Government Information Agency) announces the following:

On the coming February 3rd Countess Joanna Zaria Nicoline Milou, the second daughter of Prince Friso and Princess Mabel, will be baptized in close circle at Huis ten Bosch palace.

The baptism will be officiated according to the liturgy of the Amsterdam Students Ecclesia by Huub Oosterhuis, a good friend of the couple.

Countess Zaria will not become a member of a denomination; Prince Friso and Princess Mabel wants to leave this important decision to Countess Zaria herself, like they did with their first daughter Countess Luana. They will raise Countess Zaria in the spirit of their own Faith.

The godparents will be:
- His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange (paternal uncle)
- His Royal Highness Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme (paternal cousin)
- Mr. Ruben Ameling (friend of the parents)
- Ms. Nicoline Wisse Smit (maternal aunt)
- Ms María Luz Luano (friend of the parents)

Henri M. said:
The baptism will be officiated according to the liturgy of the Amsterdam Students Ecclesia by Huub Oosterhuis, a good friend of the couple.

Countess Zaria will not become a member of a denomination; Prince Friso and Princess Mabel wants to leave this important decision to Countess Zaria herself, like they did with their first daughter Countess Luana. They will raise Countess Zaria in the spirit of their own Faith.
Thanks for this information, henri.. that's quite interesting.

This has happened to a few kids:

Her_Majesty said:
Thanks for this information, henri.. that's quite interesting.

The following children were christened in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit but not inscripted into a certain denomination:

Anastasia Margriet Joséphine van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven
Lucas Maurits Pieter Henri van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven
Felicia Juliana Bénédicte Barbara van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven

Emma Luana Ninette Sophie gravin Van Oranje-Nassau, jonkvrouw Van Amsberg
Joanna Zaria Nicoline Milou gravin Van Oranje-Nassau, jonkvrouw Van Amsberg

Their parents hope that their children will, in the future, make an own well-considered and conscious choice for a certain denomination. The children are and will be raised in their parents' Faith(s), which is Protestant (Prince Friso & Princess Mabel) and Protestant/Roman-Catholic (Prince Maurits & Princess Marilène).

The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima have not made this choice: their daughters are baptized in the Protestant Church and will also be raised according that Faith. Princess Máxima however, has remained true and loyal to the Church of Rome and has not converted. Without any doubt she will add Catholic elements in the upbringing of Princess Catharina-Amalia and Princess Alexia.

Last edited:
this is great news. looking forward to the day to see all the lovely pictures. Id wish Maxima was between the godparents.

Henri M. said:
On behalf of Their Royal Highnesses Prince Friso and Princess Mabel, the RVD (= Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst / Government Information Agency) announces the following:

On the coming February 3rd Countess Joanna Zaria Nicoline Milou, the second daughter of Prince Friso and Princess Mabel, will be baptized in close circle at Huis ten Bosch palace.

The godparents will be:
- His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange (paternal uncle)
- His Royal Highness Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme (paternal cousin)
- Mr. Ruben Ameling (friend of the parents)
- Ms. Nicoline Wisse Smit (maternal aunt)
- Ms María Luz Luano (friend of the parents)

Thanks for the information. Why is RVD announcing this, the couple and their children do not belong to the royal house?

Alisa said:
Thanks for the information. Why is RVD announcing this, the couple and their children do not belong to the royal house?

The premier minister (responsible for the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (RVD), the State Information Agency) once answered in the Second Chamber on the same question: "Considering the wide public interest, not only in members of the Royal House but also in members of the wider royal family, the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst can, when considered necessary or desired, function as an information portal for the media".

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima have not made this choice: their daughters are baptized in the Protestant Church and will also be raised according that Faith. Princess Máxima however, has remained true and loyal to the Church of Rome and has not converted. Without any doubt she will add Catholic elements in the upbringing of Princess Catharina-Amalia and Princess Alexia.

what do you mean by adding catholic elements to the upbringing of her daughters? i think it was said that although she remained catholic their daughters would be raised according to the protestant faith. i really doubt maxima would interfere with that. even if she does, catharina and alexia would be privately able to choose any faith they would like to, even if to the public they must show that they are protestants. (not a rule, but something obvious if we take into account that the dutch people cannot control what they do "inside home": if they would like to become catholic or budhist and follow catholic or budhist rituals at home, we would never know that and it is a possibility)

carlota said:
what do you mean by adding catholic elements to the upbringing of her daughters? i think it was said that although she remained catholic their daughters would be raised according to the protestant faith. i really doubt maxima would interfere with that. even if she does, catharina and alexia would be privately able to choose any faith they would like to, even if to the public they must show that they are protestants. (not a rule, but something obvious if we take into account that the dutch people cannot control what they do "inside home": if they would like to become catholic or budhist and follow catholic or budhist rituals at home, we would never know that and it is a possibility)

Princess Máxima has been influenced by the catholic faith, and She is most likely to teach her daughters some of it, intentional or not!

Princess Robijn said:
No pictures yet??

Apparently not. I was expecting some pictures by now. But no newspaper of anything says something about the christening. Too bad. I was looking forward to seeing Amalia :flowers: I hope there will be pictures soon.

princess leonor said:
Apparently not. I was expecting some pictures by now. But no newspaper of anything says something about the christening. Too bad. I was looking forward to seeing Amalia :flowers: I hope there will be pictures soon.

So do I :flowers:

off topic: I'm just wondering, I was looking at Getty Images and that changed completely, how should I search now?

I am looking forward to see pictures...:bang:
When they are going to be?:sad:

off topic: I'm just wondering, I was looking at Getty Images and that changed completely, how should I search now?

You just go to the website, you choose your country and language, and you can type what you want to find at quick search. It's pretty much the same way it was. Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, to bad no pics as of yet. I was expecting to log in and see quite a few. Maybe we're not likely to get any.:sad:

carlota said:
what do you mean by adding catholic elements to the upbringing of her daughters?

Simple Catholic things like the constructing of a landscape with a crib, with Mary, Joseph and the little Jesus in a manger, the ox, the donkey, the Three Kings, the shepherds, an angel, etc. This is not the custom with protestants.

Simple Catholic things like the use of an Advent Calendar and Advent Candles. This is not the custom with protestants.

Simple Catholic things like having a little cross above the beds of the Princesses or have a statue or an icon of Our Lady in the princely villa, to burn a little candle in front.

Yes, the Prince has stated that his daughters 'will be raised into the Protestant tradition' and the Princess stated that she was studying Protestantism.
But finally she never converted to Protestantism and remained true and loyal to the Church of Rome. Like every other parent, she will also have her own influence on her children. Keep also in mind that half of the royal family and the whole Zorreguieta family is Catholic. The Zorreguietas are also their grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and nieces.

Henri M. said:
Simple Catholic things like the constructing of a landscape with a crib, with Mary, Joseph and the little Jesus in a manger, the ox, the donkey, the Three Kings, the shepherds, an angel, etc. This is not the custom with protestants.

Simple Catholic things like the use of an Advent Calendar and Advent Candles. This is not the custom with protestants.

Simple Catholic things like having a little cross above the beds of the Princesses or have a statue or an icon of Our Lady in the princely villa, to burn a little candle in front.

Yes, the Prince has stated that his daughters 'will be raised into the Protestant tradition' and the Princess stated that she was studying Protestantism.
But finally she never converted to Protestantism and remained true and loyal to the Church of Rome. Like every other parent, she will also have her own influence on her children. Keep also in mind that half of the royal family and the whole Zorreguieta family is Catholic. The Zorreguietas are also their grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins and nieces.

Yes, that makes sense. I was growing up like this, protestant, but with angels above my bed, cribs, advent calenders and advent candles etc because I lived in a catholic area and with a mixed family. I guess it will be similar to Amalia and Alexia. I think it is a good thing.
Concerning the pictures, didn't they release just one after Luana's christening? I might be wrong though, I am not sure.

Princess Robijn said:
Princess Máxima has been influenced by the catholic faith, and She is most likely to teach her daughters some of it, intentional or not!

I'm agree, but I also think that as a future queen, princess Máxima should respect the "oficial" faith in Netherlands, and also, because some day princess Amalia is gonna be the queen.

You can get more information in Noticias breves de actualidad

Last edited:
This is a thread regarding the baptism/christening of Countess Zaria. Let's not turn this into a discussion of Protestantism vs. Catholicism. Nor should we turn this into a thread regarding the choices of Maxima regarding her faith, or what influence that might have on her children. There are other forums and threads for that. Let's stay on topic please.

Empress - Dutch Forums Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom