Daniel's Future: Discussion (his role, title, orders, pressure etc.)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
King consort Daniel sounds perfect.

They should be in the same rank I feel like. Anyone with me?

Really, either let Carl Philip be king, and then, his wife can be queen, or let Viktoria become queen, as we have thought she would become one day since 1980, but then let her husband be king! I don't want the queen's husband to "only" be a prince. "Prince" sounds inferior to "queen", only "king" is equal to "queen", and a married couple should be each other's equals. So... Let Viktoria's husband become king!

H.M. Margrethe said:
It is simply not tru that rumour about a fertility test for Mary come on fokes we are living in the year 2006. Ther is no reason for them to make a test like that it is plain stupid.

I have also heard that CP Mary had to take the test

Princess Robijn said:
I have also heard that CP Mary had to take the test
And if the test had shown, that they were infertile, wouldn't the princes have been allowed to marry them then?

Furienna said:
And if the test had shown, that they were infertile, wouldn't the princes have been allowed to marry them then?
The prince would have some processing to do.

I don't think Daniel should be a King or even a prince. He could get ridiculed a lot for it, partly because this is Sweden and partly because he's a man. If he wants to keep his individuality he should insist on keeping his whole name, Daniel Westling, or a title of his own, like the Duke of Gästrikland, or whatever '-land' the King finds appropriate. I know this is slightly contradictionary to my post # 24 earlier in this thread, but I've done some thinking.

Better he has a title in his own right, like the Duke of Edinburgh or the Duchess of Cornwall, than some matronising prince consort title.

Furienna > If he was the King as a consort to Queen Victoria it would totally rob and diminish the last ounce of prominency the word King still has.

A likely development

A likely development, if CP Viktoria will marry him, will be "Daniel, Duke of Gästrikland". And when Viktoria become a rouling queen she will add "prince" before his name followed by the "Duke - title".

Nah, Daneborn, I don't think it would destroy the title of king. It would only... expand it.

I do hope you mean the Duchy of Västergötland, which is Victoria's duchy - and aren't talking about her swapping with Madeleine, whom holds the Duchy of Gästrikland... :D

Furienna said:
Nah, Daneborn, I don't think it would destroy the title of king. It would only... expand it.
He would be known as King-Kong Daniel.

GrandDuchess > Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland is a very long title and for the sake of Daniel actually coming from Gästrikland it would be a logical gesture to give Gästrikland to him.

I don't like giving ''-lands'' or titles to people with no meaning whatsoever to it. Västergötland, with Göteborg, isn't really Daniel's homeyard.

After all, Prince Charles isn't known as the Duke of Cornwall, nor Queen Elizabeth as the Duchess of Edinburgh.

Princess Alexandra of Denmark also holds the title Countess of Frederiksborg, that's the place where she was married so it makes sense. Appointing her Countess of Djursland or Greenland or something like that would be totally :confused:

Logical

GrandDuchess - Daniel is actually coming from Gästrikland so I think it would be a logical gesture to "give Gästrikland" to him. Duke of Gästrikland. But one newer knows? There ar many "lands" left so I don´t think it will be a big problem.

How about Duke of Stureplan?:rolleyes: :p

They cant pretty well take a dukedom away from Madeleine and give it to Daniel, maybe Madeleines husband will be Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, like they did in Spain. I just hope that they threat the spouses of Carl Philip and Madeleine the same way when it comes to titles

I do too. Do you think Carl Philip's wife (Emma?) and Madeleine's husband (Jonas?) will be princess and prince, by the way?

Larzen said:

They cant pretty well take a dukedom away from Madeleine and give it to Daniel, maybe Madeleines husband will be Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, like they did in Spain. I just hope that they threat the spouses of Carl Philip and Madeleine the same way when it comes to titles

Yes it doesn't really make sense to take the title away from Madeleine and give it to Daniel. I thought that Madeleine was given two duchys because geographically they were about in the same area? I think Carl Philip's wife might get a better deal in titles than Madeleine's husband. CP's wife would most likely get a HRH, and a courtesy Princess and Duchess title. I think Madeleine's future husband would just become a Duke. Unless they follow Belgium and just make everybody a HRH Prince/Princess!

Larzen said:
They cant pretty well take a dukedom away from Madeleine and give it to Daniel, maybe Madeleines husband will be Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland, like they did in Spain.

it's not like that, the Infanta's titles were granted on their wedding days so their husbands got the right to be their "Duke Consort of X" (I know there isn't a Duke consort title but you get my point) while Madeleine's titles are from birth or granted by her father a long time ago so I don't know if it is the same situation

I hope Daniel will be Prins Daniel eller Prinsgemal Daniel. My laptop doesn't allow me to make the correct swedish spelling.

grevinnan said:
I hope Daniel will be Prins Daniel eller Prinsgemal Daniel. My laptop doesn't allow me to make the correct swedish spelling.

Sorry for the ignorance but what does it mean?

Prince Consort

Well, but he can be a Prince Consort (Prinsgemål) at the same moment Victoria become a rouling Queen. Until then he will be Duke, Prince or both of them. (Prince NN, Duke of XX).

I think Daniel will get a title similar to that of Prince Philip in the UK. He'll be the Duke of Västergötland while Victoria is still Crown Princess and then once she's Queen, he'll be Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. The reason you'll never see a Crown Princess's husband given the rank of King once she ascends the throne is because (and it's sad and archaic) a King outranks a Queen and to give someone a rank by marriage that goes over the rank by birth of his wife wouldn't work. Hence why it's not King Philip and King Henrik.

I also believe that Daniel isn't the type of man to press the issue. If he's given a title based on one of his wife's peerages, I don't think he'll be complaining.

Larzen said:

Madeleine´s husband won´t be a duke! He will just remain "Mr Bergstroem" as pricess Christina´s husband is "Mr Magnusson".

Sister Morphine said:
I think Daniel will get a title similar to that of Prince Philip in the UK. He'll be the Duke of Västergötland while Victoria is still Crown Princess and then once she's Queen, he'll be Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland. The reason you'll never see a Crown Princess's husband given the rank of King once she ascends the throne is because (and it's sad and archaic) a King outranks a Queen and to give someone a rank by marriage that goes over the rank by birth of his wife wouldn't work. Hence why it's not King Philip and King Henrik.

I also believe that Daniel isn't the type of man to press the issue. If he's given a title based on one of his wife's peerages, I don't think he'll be complaining.

Historically this was not a problem because royal women at Victoria's level did not marry well below their station. Instead, an equal match would be arranged and both would rule as King and Queen theoretically sharing power (for example William III & Mary II or Phillip II of Spain and Mary I of England)

PreDoc said:
Historically this was not a problem because royal women at Victoria's level did not marry well below their station. Instead, an equal match would be arranged and both would rule as King and Queen theoretically sharing power (for example William III & Mary II or Phillip II of Spain and Mary I of England)

This is true, but look at Queen Victoria in England. She fought for years to give Prince Albert the title of "King" because she felt that they were equal partners and should rule equally. But if I remember correctly, she was told that a King outranks a Queen and because she was a Queen by birthright, she outranks whomever she marries. So Albert could never be "King" as that would place him above her.

In this instance, because Daniel isn't royalty they don't have that issue, but I still feel he'll end up with a title similar to that of Prince Philip, provided they marry.

I think it's sad, that prince Albert, prince Philip and prince Henrik couldn't be kings, when their wives were/became queens, just because of some old idea of a king outranking a queen. A queen and a king are equals, but a queen and a prince isn't, which makes it all seem stupid to me, since a married couple should be equals.

Furienna said:
I think it's sad, that prince Albert, prince Philip and prince Henrik couldn't be kings, when their wives were/became queens, just because of some old idea of a king outranking a queen. A queen and a king are equals, but a queen and a prince isn't, which makes it all seem stupid to me, since a married couple should be equals.

Oh don't be sad, it's just a fact of life that in some societies some royals are born better than others, the only thing you can do is accept it.

Yeah, but if you can change the act of succession, you should also be able to change that, so that a queen's husband always becomes a king, like a king's wife always becomes a queen.

my opinion on why on some countries king and queen are not of the same rank is this: if the heir to the throne is a male he will automatically becomes king bec he's the heir to the throne like that of felipe, cp of norway and other countries whose heirs are males. their wives will be queens as opposed to a country like sweden wherein the heir is a female. she will become queen but i don't think the future queen's husband would be titled as king because first and foremost the title of king is higher than the title of queen. in the case of daniel and cp victoria. it would be a shame if daniel would be called king while victoria is the heir. given that daniel would be victoria's husband and would be king of sweden it would look like that daniel is the head of state when in fact it is victoria. if you look at it i think it's not right to give the title of king to husbands of future queens regardless of whether the husband is royal or not. after all in the case of sweden, the future head of state is a female and should be called queen. imagine if daniel would be victoria's husband and he would be called king? looks like daniel is the head of state because he's called the king. he will overshadow his wife in terms of title whose the true head of state. look at the husbands of queen elizabeth, queen margreth and queen beatriz. if their husbands will be called king it would overshadow their true rank. of course we know that they are the head of state but the title itself can have its negative impact on the pr of the sovereigns. it would look like their husbands are the rulers of their country not the queen themselves. no offense on royal husbands/males. this is purely an opinion.. i hope you get my point..;) :D

Title doesn´t matter

Well, only one can be the head of state so the title realy doesn´t matter. And the head of state will be the rouling monarch. The order of succesion tells us who will be the head of state.

But even if a king outranked a queen in the past, why does it have to be so now, when Victoria and Ingrid Alexandra are heirs even though they have younger brothers? It just doesn't feel right.

In the Renaissance, the husband of Mary Queen of Scots was made King Consort but it didn't go over very well. I guess there's the suspicion that if the husband has the title he'd be unwilling to take a back seat.

Back
Top Bottom