The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #341  
Old 06-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
if the President were merely a head of state, it would be a completely different system to what you have..

Separating the roles of head of government and head of state and having a non-partisan head of state are good things IMHO. Having said that, however, I now lean into thinking that parliamentary government only works well when you have a de facto quasi-two-party system like in the UK. Otherwise, people vote blindly in an election without a clue of what kind of government or coalition program might emerge from it thereafter.



Furthermore, there have been several examples recently in Europe of political parties that effectively lost elections, but ended up sneaking into government thanks to "negative majorities" in parliament. That is the case, for example, of the socialists in Portugal and in Spain, who probably had some of their worst electoral results ever in recent elections, but who are in government nonetheless because the far-left or the separatist parties, despite staying nominally in opposition to the socialist government, still chose to vote down the conservatives, even when the conservatives are actually the largest party alone in number of seats. The equivalent to that in the UK would be Labour getting into government on a motion of no confidence in the conservative government backed by the SNP, Plaid Cymru, and the Irish republican parties for example.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 06-17-2018, 02:41 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 9,565
I love reading about European monarchies and I genuinely pray that NONE of them turn into Republics anytime soon, if ever.

For myself personally? I have never ceased thanking the Lord that I was born an American. For all my humiliation and disgust at our current. .."situation" let's call it, I love this country.
__________________

__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 06-17-2018, 03:31 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I love reading about European monarchies and I genuinely pray that NONE of them turn into Republics anytime soon, if ever.

For myself personally? I have never ceased thanking the Lord that I was born an American. For all my humiliation and disgust at our current. .."situation" let's call it, I love this country.
QFT, I agree.
Speaking of political parties ; I once heard that France has a system where the 2 sides who compete to be president get the same amount of money.
I also heard there's a country that has a set up where there is no 2 party system.
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 07-14-2018, 09:55 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I love reading about European monarchies and I genuinely pray that NONE of them turn into Republics anytime soon, if ever.

For myself personally? I have never ceased thanking the Lord that I was born an American. For all my humiliation and disgust at our current. .."situation" let's call it, I love this country.

I agree on the first point.


On the second: I'm a native-born American, but I think that the US has a LOT of room for improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 8,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I agree on the first point.


On the second: I'm a native-born American, but I think that the US has a LOT of room for improvement.
Do you want to say you are a native American?
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 07-14-2018, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
I agree on the first point.


On the second: I'm a native-born American, but I think that the US has a LOT of room for improvement.
What country doesn't have room for improvement? No Edens out there that I am aware of.

But remember that famous toast: My country, may she be always right! But, right or wrong, my country!
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 07-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 3,895
It's interesting how patriotism is ingrained in each ciild in some countries (sometimes resulting in the idea that their country is the greatest nation on earth - I beg to differ), while in other countries that is not an important goal in a child's education and upbringing. Not that those countries don't appreciate their country and the good things it brings but there is far less of a mistaken sense of superiority.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 07-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
What country doesn't have room for improvement? No Edens out there that I am aware of.

But remember that famous toast: My country, may she be always right! But, right or wrong, my country!

True for the first point. In the US, it seems as though it's almost mandatory to believe that the US is the greatest country in the world, though. I don't think that it is; it's done a lot of good in the world and its population lives well, but there are others that do a better job of producing healthy, happy and productive citizens (and aren't inhabited by Obama or Trump, who I think are two of the most odious leaders in recent memory). Sweden, Canada, Australia, etc. all come to mind.



For the second, yes, many people say that. I don't.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:00 PM
M. Payton's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,851

I very much agree with everything you have said here....and the one thing that gets me is that in this country not everyone is equal or has access to things that are basic human rights.....medial is a huge issue here and as is jobs going elsewhere and the way this country operates on greed.

I also have a strong issue with giving our money to foreign countries and then they do not back us when needed.....we here in the US need to fix this country first before we take on the rest of the world....ole saying...fix your home and learn to love yourself before you can love another or fix another....we learn by taking care of us first and then do for others is how I believe.

Not every president is perfect as is no human being and each and everyone has made horrible mistakes in life.....as we all have. It is a learning process I believe as even constitutional monarchies have learned for if not then they would not be there in the position they are in.

I am a strong believe in a royal family to a point, as long as they do for the country as a whole and work to make things better for the ones that need it, then that is fine with me, if it is just for them alone, get rid of them fast.

So with all that I say *Long may HM be here with us*...
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:25 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 9,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It's interesting how patriotism is ingrained in each ciild in some countries (sometimes resulting in the idea that their country is the greatest nation on earth - I beg to differ), while in other countries that is not an important goal in a child's education and upbringing. Not that those countries don't appreciate their country and the good things it brings but there is far less of a mistaken sense of superiority.
For myself, I was indeed taught the superiority of "the American way" from kindergarten and I did not question and ultimately reject the idea until well into adulthood.

I simply do not believe any one country or political system is better than another.

The nation or system that has a population that is 100% well housed, well clothed and educated and where there is absolutely NO racial, ethnic or religious intolerance does not exist and never has...one would be describing Shangri-la.

Yet I remain grateful to be an American. There is a reason immigrants have risked their very lives to come here up to the present day.
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:40 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
We have picked some bad presidents and many good. Some bad ones turned out to be good and some good ones not so great. So be it. To have a separate head of state is ridiculous. Having a queen and her trail of family sucking up funds and doing da da, is nonsense. Having a foreign entity as head of state (Canada, Australia) seems counterproductive and will probably end with this queen..

I wouldn't be so sure about your predictions for Australia and Canada following the present queen's reign. In any case, that is a matter for the Australians and the Canadians to decide.



On your other point, having a ceremonial head of state and a separate head of government is far from ridiculous. In fact, that is the case in many countries in the world, including not only constitutional monarchies, but also republics like Germany, Ireland or Italy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Yet I remain grateful to be an American. There is a reason immigrants have risked their very lives to come here up to the present day.

The United States has many advantages over other countries, e.g. in terms of innovation, entrepreneurship and dynamism. I agree, however, with CSENYC when he/she says that there are now countries that beat the US in quality of life like Australia, the Scandinavian countries, or maybe even Canada. The US, compared to other so-called "developed countries", is also a much more unequal society where, on one hand, there is more visible poverty, but, on the other hand, there are far more billionaires and ostensive displays of wealth.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 07-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
QFT, I agree.
Speaking of political parties ; I once heard that France has a system where the 2 sides who compete to be president get the same amount of money.
I also heard there's a country that has a set up where there is no 2 party system.
There are lots of countries which do not have a 2 party system.. many European countries have sitautions where multiple parties win a fair share of the vote, and get inot government. but that's nothing to do with Heads of state or monarchies...
If you have a system where there is a ceremonial head of state who does not have the Power that the American presidenet has, it has its problems and its good points. On the bad side, it costs money for someone who is largely doing ceremonial work, rather like a royal family would.... On the good side, it means that there is a head of state who is less likely to be divisive...
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 07-14-2018, 04:12 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSENYC View Post
True for the first point. In the US, it seems as though it's almost mandatory to believe that the US is the greatest country in the world, though. I don't think that it is; it's done a lot of good in the world and its population lives well, but there are others that do a better job of producing healthy, happy and productive citizens (and aren't inhabited by Obama or Trump, who I think are two of the most odious leaders in recent memory). Sweden, Canada, Australia, etc. all come to mind.


Interesting! It may be that the USA is a rather unequal society compared to some other countries.
However. the countries you mention have, until recently, had a much more homogeneous population than the USA, and have also been rather critical of our policies on illegal immigration.

Yet, when I was in Canada last week, one politician was suggesting building a wall on Roxham Road, to reduce the illegal immigrant problem!!?

Sweden is coping with a crime wave that is tied to the migrant influx. Australia advocates not allowing migrants to land in the first place.


Let's see what happens in a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 07-14-2018, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 5,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Interesting! It may be that the USA is a rather unequal society compared to some other countries.
However. the countries you mention have, until recently, had a much more homogeneous population than the USA, and have also been rather critical of our policies on illegal immigration.

Yet, when I was in Canada last week, one politician was suggesting building a wall on Roxham Road, to reduce the illegal immigrant problem!!?

Sweden is coping with a crime wave that is tied to the migrant influx. Australia advocates not allowing migrants to land in the first place.


Let's see what happens in a few years.



I don't think you can compare the relative impact of a sudden burst of immigration in the United States and in a country like Sweden, whose total population is only slightly over 10 million people and whose land area is slightly bigger than California maybe.


Honestly, attributing the social problems of the United States to immigration is not a very credible argument, especially considering that, as of today, the foreign-born population in the US is actually much lower in percentage terms than in Australia or Canada, and about the same as in Germany. It is also lower in percentage terms than the foreign-born population in other periods in US history, e.g. in the early 20th century I think.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 07-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,025
Of course I am not intending to attribute all social problems to immigration!
That was merely meant to be an example of other countries who are quick to criticize, and point to the superiority of their lifestyles, but have not had to deal with some of the issues of a highly diverse population- YET.

I'm curious to see what happens in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:02 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think you can compare the relative impact of a sudden burst of immigration in the United States and in a country like Sweden, whose total population is only slightly over 10 million people and whose land area is slightly bigger than California maybe.

Honestly, attributing the social problems of the United States to immigration is not a very credible argument, especially considering that, as of today, the foreign-born population in the US is actually much lower in percentage terms than in Australia or Canada, and about the same as in Germany. It is also lower in percentage terms than the foreign-born population in other periods in US history, e.g. in the beginning of the 20th century, I think.
Correct. The US population is at 325 million. Foreign born are around 13%, with illegal immigrants representing about 3%. Illegal immigration is no where near the source or cause of any economic or social problem in the US. Has always been a red herring skillfully used for political purposes: smoke and mirrors.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:09 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post


Sweden is coping with a crime wave that is tied to the migrant influx.
I don't want to get inte a political discussion but as a Swede I just want to say that there is no migrant fuelled crime wave in this country. Obviously we like any country have our challenges but the image of a country buckling under to a horde of raping Muslim criminals has absolutely no truth to it and it's quite easy to see how that narrative was made up to suit the political movement who oppose multiculturalism and an open society.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 07-14-2018, 05:57 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I don't want to get inte a political discussion but as a Swede I just want to say that there is no migrant fuelled crime wave in this country. Obviously we like any country have our challenges but the image of a country buckling under to a horde of raping Muslim criminals has absolutely no truth to it and it's quite easy to see how that narrative was made up to suit the political movement who oppose multiculturalism and an open society.
Thank you for saying so, JR76. I was hesitant to address it since I am not Swedish but this idea comes from a comment made during a rally in Florida in February 2017 by President Trump that drew international attention, fueled a couple of days later in the same month with comments by the British politician Nigel Farage, and so it has gone.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 07-14-2018, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I don't want to get inte a political discussion but as a Swede I just want to say that there is no migrant fuelled crime wave in this country. Obviously we like any country have our challenges but the image of a country buckling under to a horde of raping Muslim criminals has absolutely no truth to it and it's quite easy to see how that narrative was made up to suit the political movement who oppose multiculturalism and an open society.
Really?
And there's so many news articles about it!

Guess I am one of those naive people who tends to believe what I read.
I apologize.
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 07-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Really?
And there's so many news articles about it!

Guess I am one of those naive people who tends to believe what I read.
I apologize.
Crime in Sweden, a Three-Part Series
https://www.snopes.com/news/2017/04/...e-part-series/

False
Crime In Sweden, Part I: Is Sweden the ‘Rape Capital’ of Europe?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cr...apital-europe/

Mostly False
Crime in Sweden, Part II: Are Refugee Men Overrepresented in Swedish Crime?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cr...swedish-crime/

False
Crime in Sweden, Part III: Does Sweden Have ‘No-Go Zones’ Where the Police Can’t Enter?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sw...o-zone-police/
__________________

__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monarchist, politics, royal, royalist tea party, united states


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royalty and the United States ysbel British Royals 63 11-20-2014 05:04 PM
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia's Visit to the United States: May 8-11, 2013 Lumutqueen King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia 42 05-28-2013 06:10 PM
United Arab Emirates and The Gulf States kashmiri Royal Genealogy 26 03-05-2013 01:11 PM
Prince and Princess of Asturias's Visit to the United States: June 20-23, 2012 lula King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 78 07-15-2012 03:20 PM




Popular Tags
administrator alqasimi archie mountbatten-windsor aristocracy belgian royal family birthday celebration castles chittagong cht clarence house countess of snowdon cover-up crown prince hussein's future wife crown princess victoria crusades current events cypher danish history denmark duke & duchess of cambridge; duke of cambridge duke of sussex dutch dutch history dutch royal family family search foundation french royalty future germany hamdan bin mohammed henry v hill historical drama house of bourbon house of glucksburg house of orange-nassau house of saxe-coburg and gotha jerusalem jumma languages lithuanian castles mail marriage mohammed vi monaco history monaco royal monarchism nobel 2019 norway norwegian royal family official visit palaces palestine prince charles prince harry prince of wales qe2 royal tour settings shakespeare state visit sweden swedish royal family swedish royalty thai royal family tracts trump united kingdom usa


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:32 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×