The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant: June 3, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CBC and CNN did the same thing drove me mad :bang: but oh well what can you do I suppose. I just hope they don't do it during the Thanksgiving Service.

Dear Piers Morgan on CNN actually uttered "into the bowels of the crowd." Yea gads, no wonder you all sent him over to our side of the pond.

It could have been worse - they might have done a side bit on the availability of restrooms for the crowd! :eek:

I mainly stuck with BBC America's coverage, though I did flip over to CNN a few times. My impression was that CNN was dependent on the BBC feed, so any technical issues would have been on the BBC.

I thought CNN did pick the right people to cover the pageant. They had Richard Quest, who is usually a business correspondent but a good resource on all things British, Piers Morgan who drives me nuts but generally knows the royal family, and Brooke Baldwin. I thought she might be at the biggest disadvantage, but she really does try to get all the titles correct if she can. They also had India Hicks, who is practically a member of the family, and Max Foster who has always been their royal correspondent. If they hadn't kept interrupting with commercials, I would have watched CNN instead of BBC America.

It's a myth that being in the cold gives you the common cold. Being cold doesn't make you sick; exposure to the virus that causes the common cold is what does it. It's the same with going outside with wet hair when it's cold; it doesn't cause the common cold either. Hopefully everyone will be in good spirits for tomorrow night.

How sweet were the Queen and Camilla when they spotted the War Horse puppet? They turned to each other like excited schoolgirls. Camilla's also worth watching when the orchestra performs at the end of the pageant. She clearly likes a bit of dancing. She and Charles started to bop along to the music and then everyone else joined in!

You can tell Camilla must be the life of the party when her feet started moving to the music! That was a nice moment when the military jig was played and she started swaying to it, and it became contagious among the others. And that was a nice War Horse moment, too; two horsewomen catching each others' eye at a nice piece of horseflesh.:)

Last edited:
It's a myth that being in the cold gives you the common cold. Being cold doesn't make you sick; exposure to the virus that causes the common cold is what does it. It's the same with going outside with wet hair when it's cold; it doesn't cause the common cold either. Hopefully everyone will be in good spirits for tomorrow night.

Indeed, but it won't help.

Think of the wind chill and the close proximity in which people huddled together along the banks. A near breeding ground for contagion. Especially when there was an estimated 1.2 million people present.

It only takes an environmental trigger in some cases and the bone cold and wet weather will surely get the nose running, the body temperature will fluctuate (fever bound to ensue if the virus is already present), the eyes will sting (also due to wind exposure) and you're well on your way to a throbbing headache, a dry couch, red eyes and a nose that runs like a tap.

Last edited:
I mainly stuck with BBC America's coverage, though I did flip over to CNN a few times. My impression was that CNN was dependent on the BBC feed, so any technical issues would have been on the BBC.

I thought CNN did pick the right people to cover the pageant. They had Richard Quest, who is usually a business correspondent but a good resource on all things British, Piers Morgan who drives me nuts but generally knows the royal family, and Brooke Baldwin. I thought she might be at the biggest disadvantage, but she really does try to get all the titles correct if she can. They also had India Hicks, who is practically a member of the family, and Max Foster who has always been their royal correspondent. If they hadn't kept interrupting with commercials, I would have watched CNN instead of BBC America.
They also had Dickie Arbiter. But it drove me nuts that despite how well trained they are supposed to be in royal events they kept messing up the titles.

Also to those who have said such kind words about me on the past 2 or 3 pages. Thank you very much it means alot to know that you guys think I'm good enough to actually be a royal correspondent. It's my dream and fingers crossed hopefully it'll one day come true.

Last edited:
Oh how I wish I could have been there in person!!! The CNN coverage drove me absolutely bonkers. It was clearly raining, obviously cold, and Piers Morgan seemed only capable of pointing the weather out, over and over and over again!!!

However, she needs to start working on her fashion choices. :p

Picture of Lady Louise

Bless her, i liked her dress. I thought it was quite fitting for the day and her tights are cute. I would like more done with her hair, but the bow is adorable. Pretty sure she has one in every colour!

Looks like every news station covering the flotilla is getting a hammering, nobody did a job worthy of the event. I was considering watching the BBC coverage but don't think I'll bother now.

I decided to tape every damn station airing the Thanksgiving Service just incase one of them cuts off early again so I've got CBC-TV, CBC News, BBC News, and CNN set to record on Tuesday, not that I even know if they can all tape at once. I kept my CBC coverage from today, deleted CNN as it started late and again like CBC cut off early(also too many commercials for my taste) and I'm downloading the HD BBC coverage. Though the repeat on CNN at 12am today was MUCH better then the live one.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to watch a semi decent highlight program, there's one from Huw Edwards (who's a very good reporter).

A rediculous use of editorial space, and naturally it should be reported upon by this woman.

The Duchess looked beautiful amongst all that Garter blue flashing about. And is it really possible to "steal the show" from a sovereign celebrating her diamond jubilee? If anything Catherine melted into the background for the decking was a magnitude of red velvet. Clever woman!

And what colour would have Catherine been better off wearing? The Queen was in white so anything anyone wore was bound to grab attention against such a shade. Even so, and make no mistake, all were out to see the Queen and she was resplendant.

As for the 'reporter', I myself have demoted editorial liberties for less. Off to the Birmingham Kitty Cat beauty pageant for her next assignment I think!

And in anycase, Platell isn't known for her pro establishment sentiment or rather, she isn't terribly fond of Charles and now possibly has Catherine in her sites as well.

Last edited:
Not a day goes by when the Daily Mail doesn't give the BBC a beating. For the DM the BBC is a dangerous, biased, profligate public body with a near monopoly on mainstream TV in the UK. I mostly agree with them, but the DM were always going to slaughter the Beeb no matter what happened.

Amanda Platell plumbs new depths of nastiness today which I hadn't though possible. I know she recently got British citizenship, but please, Australia, can you take her back? For a wee while at least? I think we've put up with her long enough! ;)

I was actually pleasantly surprised the extent to which the focus yesterday did stay on HM. I was worried the directors would spend all their time watching Kate and William, but they didn't and W&K clearly did their utmost not to overshadow HM and the DoE in any way.

I was actually pleasantly surprised the extent to which the focus yesterday did stay on HM. I was worried the directors would spend all their time watching Kate and William, but they didn't and W&K clearly did their utmost not to overshadow HM and the DoE in any way.

HM did shine yesterday like the bright diamond she really is. No matter if it was a view from the shore or from just about anywhere, in the white that HM wore, she was very easily spotted. It surprised me too that they didn't pan in on any other royal family member overly much. It was HM's day and the focus was where it should have been.

One thing that really did surprise the heck out of me is that here at TRF, I really expected the blog focus to be more on HM's pageant rather than a Kate vs. celebrities on who wore her red dress better. Guess Kate's fashions are of big interests eh? :bang:

Amanda Platell plumbs new depths of nastiness today which I hadn't thought possible. I know she recently got British citizenship, but please, Australia, can you take her back?

She's well and truly 'your' problem now :p

The BBC seems to be ripped to shreds, among others by the daily mail:

Queen's Diamond Jubilee 2012: BBC sank under a tide of wittering inanity | Mail Online

And rightfully so! At first I was so happy that my hsuband had installed a very large satellite dish on our house so we can watch the British channels as well as the European Astra programmes but yesterday I found I much preferred Sky News to the BBC. All those constantly blabbing people in the studio which were virtually unknown to me and all the side stories (Jubilee babies are nice, but not when there is a flotilla sailing by!) that had nothing to do with the story. On reading that they called HM "HRH The Queen" and named her a "cargo" (well, a precious one, not that better!) I thought this can't have been true. But then I realised that it was totally fitting with the rest of the reportings. Shame on the BBC!

Magnificent ceremony worthy of such an occasion.
Everybody looked the best, including little Lady Louise charming in her printed dress.
The procession was awesome.
GOD BLESS THE QUEEN:britflag::britflag::britflag::britflag::britflag:

WOW I guess they needed to make up some drama. Because God knows no one there paid attention to the queen. Just the color red. I'm guessing the royal ship which was also in red needed to be told off as well.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

WOW I guess they needed to make up some drama. Because God knows no one there paid attention to the queen. Just the color red. I'm guessing the royal ship which was also in red needed to be told off as well.

Good point, ZaJa. All the post boxes and phone boxes along the route will have to be reprimanded too. I mean, what were they thinking?!

The Daily Mail seems to be digging deeper and deeper to come up with criticisms. Get a grip. Everything was lovely. :ROFLMAO:

ZaJa said:

Perfectly stated. I like the point one person stated yesterday when they pointed out that Kate's suit are cut rather conservative and in the end it is Kate who truly stands out not the outfit and do you know who they say does that as well....Her Majasty the Queen...keep it up Kate! So much said about her being the next Diana and I think she truly has shown she is Kate and she does it well.

The discussion about Kate's outfit is pretty pointless since it had been approved by the Queen.
During joint engagements, royal ladies usually consult each other on the outfits they wear, and always do that if they have an engagement with the Queen - and the latter has final say in all matters concerning outfits and jewellery. If Her Majesty thought red was inappropriate, she would have asked for a change of colour. She didn't, therefore she approved it.

If the Queen wore white, there's no color anyone could have chosen to not stand out in comparison. However, I noticed from the accompanying pictures that Kate in red actually managed to blend in slightly with the red velvet "thrones" allowing the Queen to better stand out to the crowd! This is just another case of the Daily Fail trying to stir things up.

Back
Top Bottom