Prince Philip Hospitalized for 'Pre-Existing Condition': December 20, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He doesn't need to say that they themselves don't know anything else. He could also state that that's all he can say/share.

However, the fact that he apparently also added something about illness and age meaning things go slower isn't the best sign.

Still, to me it's strange that the Royal Family tends not to visit their family members in hospital unless it's very critical. Even the Spanish royal family with all their complicated relationships seems more prone to visit family members in hospital.

I think when the Duke of Edinburgh was interned in 2012, we saw William and Harry coming to visit him.

I think the royal house should at least make a statement about the Duke of Edinburgh's health, so it avoided speculation.

Last edited:
They have done in the past when the stay is more than a night or two. The Queen is known to hate making a fuss, which of course ensues when she visits anyone. I think they take the attitude if you are in hospital its because you need medical care and attention not your relatives fussing over you. They can look after you when you make it home:flowers:

I find the fact the royals haven’t visited him as a good sign, he went in for treatment and is getting that as planned, if it was worse or going beyond that we would have heard more. I’m not saying that any visit to hospital by someone Philips age isnt a worry but just that things seem to be going as planned.

I don't find myself overly concerned at the moment with regard to the hospital stay. I'm sad for him that he's stuck in there and probably feeling very frustrated and annoyed about it. However, whatever his condition or ailment is, it can't be so serious that family members are rushing down to be at his bedside - I see that as a good sign.

I have no doubt that further announcements or bulletins from the Palace would be being made if we have cause for concern.

I agree Jack the lack of family members at the hospital half reassures me is not overly serious but I can't help but think of the old Dukes advanced age.

Given that they normally don't visit their relatives in hospital, it's indeed a good sign.

However, do all of you also just leave your relatives in the hospital without even one close family member visiting them in 3 days (by now)? In my family (and other families that I know), people in hospital would at least be visited daily by their spouse; and in the case of adult children, those would try to visit about once a week (depending on the distance to the hospital) dividing the hospital visits among the siblings. Grandchildren might start coming when it's either more serious or taking longer (or if young join their parents on a visit).

However, in this family, nobody has yet bothered to visit their husband/father(-in-law)/grandfather/uncle/great-grandfather/cousin.

They have done in the past when the stay is more than a night or two. The Queen is known to hate making a fuss, which of course ensues when she visits anyone. I think they take the attitude if you are in hospital its because you need medical care and attention not your relatives fussing over you. They can look after you when you make it home:flowers:

I find the fact the royals haven’t visited him as a good sign, he went in for treatment and is getting that as planned, if it was worse or going beyond that we would have heard more. I’m not saying that any visit to hospital by someone Philips age isnt a worry but just that things seem to be going as planned.

If there's anyone that abhors fuss and muss and to dos over things, it would be Philip. He's not the kind of a person to be a drama queen (or would that be drama king?) over being in the hospital and would prefer to just get on with things he's there for and without an overflow of attention.

BP has stated quite a few times (according to my failing memory) that it doesn't comment on the private physical health of any of the royal family other than basic information such as being admitted to a hospital.

it's quite possible Phillip has asked the family not fuss - and told them not to visit. Otherwise, I believe his family would have gone to see him. Likely they are respecting his wishes.

My speculation, off course.

When he spent the 2011 holidays in the hospital he was visited by multiple family members, I remember William, Peter and Zara all arriving together in the same car to see him. But he was having surgery back then for a blocked artery. So whatever he's being treated for now probably isn't as serious. He might not have been hospitalized for his ailment if it was 10 years ago, but being 98-years-old just elevates the concern all-around.

Sometimes one can say Don't Fuss about Me - but would still love it if people cared enough to fuss.

Visiting someone in hospital isn't making a fuss it's done to provide a bit of company, among other reasons, for the person concerned. This kind of behaviour is why a lot of people think the BRF are dysfunctional.

Limiting visits is most often advised when a patient is hospitalized and undergoing some kind of treatment. Family members are normally a nuisance in those situations.

Visiting relatives and friends while one is in the hospital can be very exhausting also. Then again, as I've recently discovered in the past year, being in the hospital is the *last* place one can expect to get a really good rest. No sooner does one fall asleep and in comes a nurse to take vitals or wake you up to ask if you want a sleeping pill. First thing after hubby was released after major surgery and was released was a good night's sleep. :D

I don't think its too dysfunctional to request family to go ahead with celebrations and such at Sandringham rather than being in London at the hospital. I think it shows that Philip has a positive attitude that he's going to walk out on his own steam and join them and doesn't need to be coddled and fussed over.

Anne and Andrew both live near enough to London to stop by the hospital, even if it’s only to speak briefly with staff and to wave cheerily at their father.

I'm not totally worried either - it seems that BP have tried to reassure us that it's nothing serious and that we shouldn't be concerned, so I'll take their word for it. Winter can be a particularly risky time of year for elderly people, especially at Philip's grand old age of 98.

Limiting visits is most often advised when a patient is hospitalized and undergoing some kind of treatment. Family members are normally a nuisance in those situations.

Limiting visits to close family members and a maximum number of visitors at a time and probably number of visits a day, yes; no visits at all for days on end is something completely different in my book.

I suspect Philip has requested no visits. Possibly thats why this pre-planned admittance was planned for now, knowing the family would be celebrating christmas, visiting family etc. The family will know why Philip is in hospital and what treatment he is undergoing, if it was bad I am sure they would feel able to countermand any orders from Philip not to visit. The fact they haven’t suggests to me they all feel confident Philip is doing well and there is no long term cause for concern.
Ladongas, Anne’s Gatcombe Park estate is a full 10 minutes closer to London than Sandringham is so I’m not sure why you would expect her to visit before The Queen. Again I believe either/and there is no need for concern and Philip does not want visitors. He is a very practical person and if he knows he is undergoing treatment and will be leaving for Christmas he probably thinks what is the point of them all coming to see him when he will be there with them all soon.

I too find the lack of visitors strangely reassuring. Once again we find ourselves projecting in that family visits are the norm for most of us. For Prince Philip, probably at his own request, visits are reserved for health crises.

If Prince Philip was actually ill I believe the the family would have returned to London or at least Windsor, including the Sussexes, where an endless stream of concerned and worried family visitors would probably drive the poor man demented.

I read a report saying he was flown up to London and then driven to the hospital where he insisted on walking in unassisted. I expect he intends to return home in exactly the same way.

Anne and Andrew both live near enough to London to stop by the hospital, even if it’s only to speak briefly with staff and to wave cheerily at their father.

Anne lives in Gloucestershire - which is nearly three hours away. Gatcombe is closest to Highgrove as both are in the same county. Gloucestershire borders Wales so is on the other side of England to London. Sandringham is about three hours away as well.

Edward and Andrew both live in Berkshire near Windsor. Edward and his family are already at Sandringham and maybe Andrew is also there by now but we don't know where he is. Windsor is about 50 minutes from London.

If Philip is anything like me I hate having visitors in hospital as it means I can't rest.

Going to Sandringham from Gatcombe via London would add only about an hour to the journey. However, if Philip told me not to come, I jolly well wouldn’t!

I remember when Margarethe's husband Henri fell ill and passed; it was the constant visitors that signalled the gravity of the situation. I'm sure neither HM or HRH wants to instigate the concern for his health that would occur if he was receiving regular visitors. I can't be the only one who remembers the hullabaloo online when they had the big staff meeting to announce his retirement.

He does look much more his age, but as we aren't seeing him regularly that is to be expected. Nice that he is out for Christmas and I'm sure the family all look forward to seeing him over the Christmas celebrations.

Last edited:
He looks like hell. Something tells me he could be doing with staying in hospital but they are trying to make everything look ok. I bet he will have a team of doctors and equipment around him non stop when he gets home. There's no way he is fully well.

He looks like hell. Something tells me he could be doing with staying in hospital but they are trying to make everything look ok. I bet he will have a team of doctors and equipment around him non stop when he gets home. There's no way he is fully well.

He walked unaided to the car and didn’t require assistance to enter the vehicle. That looks excellent for a 98 and half year old.

He walked unaided to the car and didn’t require assistance to enter the vehicle. That looks excellent for a 98 and half year old.

Thank you! I was about to come and say the same.

Aand he left hospital with more or less no fuss as he went in,good to see that the Duke will be with his family for Christmas.

I don't care, he looks really ill to me. He probably gathered every bit of strength he had to do that for the sake of the cameras watching him, but then he is 98 years old, heaith problems come with the territory.

He looks 98 years old to me. Of course he doesn't look fresh having just been in hospital for 4 days, and unlike say the Duchess of Cambridge after being in to give birth, his age means he won't bounce back as quick for a decent photo.

I highly doubt for one minute the Queen and the doctors at the hospital (which the royals nearly always use when hospital is required) would let him go home if he wasn't well enough. Yes he may well have doctors on call at Sandringham, there always is a doctor close by, but if he needed to stay in longer he would be. I don't know why people think seeing one picture of him makes them better qualified than the doctors to diagnose and treat him.

Again, he is 98 years old, he looks his age and looks like he is has just left hospital, everyone looks rubbish leaving hospital.

I don't care, he looks really ill to me. He probably gathered every bit of strength he had to do that for the sake of the cameras watching him, but then he is 98 years old, heaith problems come with the territory.

You do know who you’re talking about right? When has Prince Philip ever done anything for the cameras? If he needed a wheelchair to get out he would have used one.

Back
Top Bottom