Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But the ex Moderator didn’t give any real details about the conversations. I just think that he wanted to emphasise that the Queen he saw shortly before her demise was a person who was serene, happy and at peace. And I think a lot of readers would have found comfort in that.

I agree, there were no confidences betrayed. Just a comment onher general state of mind.

I cannot believe that the 1st anniversary is almost upon us!

I would think that there would be some kind of ceremony (a remembrance mass, for instance) to mark the anniversary of her death. Has anyone heard about any event to mark this date? :britflag:

I would think that there would be some kind of ceremony (a remembrance mass, for instance) to mark the anniversary of her death. Has anyone heard about any event to mark this date? :britflag:

All that we have been told is that Charles and his siblings will spend the day privately at Balmoral. If they do go to church they may very well do so privately at Balmoral itself rather than go to Craithie Kirk.

William and Catherine have engagements in Wales, including a church service at St David's Cathedral which may touch on the anniversary.

The late Queen always kept the anniversary of her father's death as a 'private' day of remembrance and reflection and Charles seems to be doing the same thing.

Charles had to grieve her death in public. His mother was given time to grieve after her return from Kenya - basically after her Accession Council she was able to go to Sandringham and remain there until the day the coffin was moved to Westminster Hall and again after that day she wasn't seen again until after the funeral at St George's Chapel and no TV cameras covering the funeral itself.

Let him have this one day to remember her his way rather than have to always be 'on show' while grieving and remembering.

Her Late Majesty was frail, he told me, but that, in a series of one-to-one conversations, he found her mentally sharp and contemplative, preoccupied in particular with her faith and that of her father, George VI.

I think it’s awful that these conversations were not held in confidence.

To be fair he has not revealed any details, other than she was clear in thought and mind and was at peace in her beloved Balmoral.

He did not divulge any really personal conversations or family information

I cannot believe it's been a year already. Rest In Peace, Queen Elizabeth II. :sad:

It was right around this time that I read a story about the Privy Council meeting that had been canceled, and I realized there was a good chance it would be very soon, but I was still thinking weeks rather than hours.

Last edited:
More details of that last day and how it affected people.

Personnel called back from summer holidays, a wedding in Greece, deployment in Iraq, from Canada, from Bangalesh and Saudi Arabia, from a honeymoon, problems with rehearsals, even a poor man who had not long earlier lost three fingers … in a gardening accident … needing to use that hand, people who had a role to play in the passing of a Monarch and how it was for them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ro...-race-globe-prepare-funeral-never-forget.html

Last edited:
When I saw last photo of the queen meeting PM Truss, I realised that her has not many days left on this world. For me it was pretty clear that it was ratherly question of days but I didn't expect that happening that soon.

All that we have been told is that Charles and his siblings will spend the day privately at Balmoral. If they do go to church they may very well do so privately at Balmoral itself rather than go to Craithie Kirk.

William and Catherine have engagements in Wales, including a church service at St David's Cathedral which may touch on the anniversary.

The late Queen always kept the anniversary of her father's death as a 'private' day of remembrance and reflection and Charles seems to be doing the same thing.

Charles had to grieve her death in public. His mother was given time to grieve after her return from Kenya - basically after her Accession Council she was able to go to Sandringham and remain there until the day the coffin was moved to Westminster Hall and again after that day she wasn't seen again until after the funeral at St George's Chapel and no TV cameras covering the funeral itself.

Let him have this one day to remember her his way rather than have to always be 'on show' while grieving and remembering.

Thank you so much!!!

Lovely to see the Earl of Snowdon with Lady Margarita with The Chattos. I am sure they also really miss Her Majesty.

I wish there could have been an announcement today about how the nation intends to proceed with some form of national memorial. Instead I fear this will be a debate that will drag on through endless committees. A year on, surely the collective minds could have some firm proposals.

The crowds out today to mark the 1st anniversary was wonderful to see :flowers:

More details of that last day and how it affected people.

Personnel called back from summer holidays, a wedding in Greece, deployment in Iraq, from Canada, from Bangalesh and Saudi Arabia, from a honeymoon, problems with rehearsals, even a poor man who had not long earlier lost three fingers … in a gardening accident … needing to use that hand, people who had a role to play in the passing of a Monarch and how it was for them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ro...-race-globe-prepare-funeral-never-forget.html

This was really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I can’t believe it has been a year.

King Charles and Queen Camilla attends Memorial Service For The Queen Elizabeth II.

Prince and Princess of Wales today marked the first anniversary of Queen Elizabeth II's death with a small private service at an ancient cathedral in Wales.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...th-death-anniversary-st-davids-cathedral.html

Prince Harry makes surprise visit to St George's Chapel in Windsor where the Queen is buried to mark anniversary of her death.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ro...-William-Wales-King-Charles-Queens-death.html

Last edited:
A few places on social media reporting Andrew and Edward attended a special service to mark the accession of the King / the death of their mother.

There is a story on the DM that Sophie went to the Horse Trials where Zara competed yesterday - nothing about them being at the same event. Posters are criticising her for going with comments like 'she can't have been that close to be at such an event rather than commemorating the late Queen'. Silly really as how a person chooses to remember their loved one will vary. My father died 11 years to the day before the Queen (both 8th September) and for me watching the rugby from France live will be a way to remember as I remember doing that with him many, many times over the years.

There is a story on the DM that Sophie went to the Horse Trials where Zara competed yesterday - nothing about them being at the same event. Posters are criticising her for going with comments like 'she can't have been that close to be at such an event rather than commemorating the late Queen'. Silly really as how a person chooses to remember their loved one will vary. My father died 11 years to the day before the Queen (both 8th September) and for me watching the rugby from France live will be a way to remember as I remember doing that with him many, many times over the years.

Funny, family showing up to cheer as Zara competes at an event sounds like *exactly* the kind of thing one would do to commemorate the Queen- she’d probably have loved that. I agree with you that doing something the person you are remembering loved to do is a wonderful way to remember them.

Anne and Tim had a church service and dinner in London on the evening of the 7th (in the CC) for the Return of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Quest Crow’s Nest by the South Georgia Heritage Trust of which Anne is Patron. She also had an engagement in Hertfordshire and Tim went to a Service of Thanksgiving as her representative.

Other than the King and the Kent's all the 'working royals' have been at work this week. I haven't seen a CC for the 8th yet though.

Back
Top Bottom