90th Birthday Celebrations of Queen Elizabeth: May and June 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No matter how he went about it there will be many who claim it was a 'jobs for the boys' set up and that he and his firm only got the gig because he is the Queen's grandson, and there is also probably some justification in that. Would it have been seriously considered if it had been suggested by some other firm???

No matter how he went about it there will be many who claim it was a 'jobs for the boys' set up and that he and his firm only got the gig because he is the Queen's grandson, and there is also probably some justification in that. Would it have been seriously considered if it had been suggested by some other firm???

The optimist in me wants to say yes because if they had the best presentation, they would have won the contract. :D

From reading what Peter said though it was their suggestion - so no other competitors even were asked to submit a bid to take on the organisation. It wasn't an open tender process. This is clearly a case of The Queen helping one of her grandchildren make a success of an event.

This June, BBC One will broadcast a long weekend of live events to mark Her Majesty The Queen’s official 90th birthday on Saturday 11th June.

The weekend of birthday celebrations for the landmark anniversary begins on Friday 10 June with a service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral, and the traditional display of pageantry of the Queen's Birthday Parade (Trooping the Colour) will be held on Saturday 11 June on Horse Guards Parade, culminating with the Royal Family making their annual appearance on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

BBC One will also broadcast a special celebration on The Mall in St James's Park taking place on Sunday 12th June to close the weekend of birthday celebrations. The iconic stretch will be transformed for its largest ever street party with 10,000 people gathered to celebrate The Queen’s patronage of over 600 charities and organisations on the occasion of her 90th birthday for The Patron’s Lunch.
BBC One to Broadcast HM The Queen's 90th Birthday Weekend | News on News

A friend told me today that they are organising a street party where they live for the event - it makes me think of having a garden party at home that weekend!

From reading what Peter said though it was their suggestion - so no other competitors even were asked to submit a bid to take on the organisation. It wasn't an open tender process. This is clearly a case of The Queen helping one of her grandchildren make a success of an event.

Or another way to see it as her trusting a family member to plan things that are, at their base, very personal. A Birthday party is a personal thing, especially at landmark years. But the Queen understands the public aspect of her life as well. And the influence it can have on her efforts. She, after all invented the York investiture ceremony for Charles.
I think sometimes, they forget how things will look to you and I. They never intend to do ill or even for it to seem like they are making money off of what they do. The burden of keeping up/using the palaces without poisoning users with lead or asbestos or otherwise destroying the historic architecture is huge. The cost of security is enormous. But so is the pressure to be PUBLIC.
And so, less wise decisions get made. It's what happens when a monarch is apart from the people. IMO, it's why William and Harry hold/held real jobs - so they can have a realistic perspective on how things look to those they will serve. I just believe that at this point, they have almost no influence on what we used to call the men in grey that serve HM. Or that HM does not ask them. Sad, because it might be enlightening.
And finally, while Peter could donate the effort, if he wants to be part of a sustained and profitable organization, he does need to show a profit.
Else-wise, let volunteers run the effort when she turns 95. Lesson learned.

Mystery benefactors are paying £200,000 for a large statue of the Queen to be sculpted and placed in the centre of Gravesend to mark her birthday.

Gravesham council is commissioning the artwork - which is one and half times larger than Queen Elizabeth herself - for her 90th later this year.

It is believed to be the only statue which will show Her Majesty seated. She will be dressed in full Order of the Garter robes and it will be mounted on a stone plinth.
Read more: Gravesham council commissions unique statue of Queen Elizabeth II for her 90th birthday

It sounds most impressive and I'm sure will be eye catching. Instead of a statue, though, which might deteriorate through the decades, and attract bird poo as most statues do sooner or later, it's a pity something like scholarships at local schools or endowments of some kind to help the local community couldn't have been thought of first. £200,000 could really help an awful lot of people.

While scholarships would be nice, they have to be sustained. 200,000 would only last so long in scholarships. Unless the benefators were willing to continue contributing, there would be an end in sight to the scholarship. Statue is an one time investment that can last for decades if not more.

It is private investors/benefactors paying for it. They have the right to choose what the money goes to. If it was the local government paying for it, there definitely could be argued how the money is spent.

It sounds most impressive and I'm sure will be eye catching. Instead of a statue, though, which might deteriorate through the decades, and attract bird poo as most statues do sooner or later, it's a pity something like scholarships at local schools or endowments of some kind to help the local community couldn't have been thought of first. £200,000 could really help an awful lot of people.
£200,000 could really help the artist, local builders, local hotels' owners, local pabs' owners, etc.

The Queen's grandson Peter Phillips has won contract to stage her 90th birthday party | Daily Mail Online
And although Phillips insists his ‘bid’ to organise the lunch was submitted to Buckingham Palace ‘through the normal channels’, his business credentials don’t appear to extend far from his close family.

It claims on its website only three clients, including this year’s Patron’s lunch and the Gatcombe Festival of British Eventing — which takes place on, er, Princess Anne’s Gloucestershire estate.

In other words, two out of his three customers are his mother and his grandmother. The third is the Longines event.

Surprisingly, for an outfit entrusted with organising an event of such national and international importance as the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations, SEL UK’s latest accounts to June 2014 show net assets of just £14,537 — although it does, of course, have the backing of the Australian operation.

a not-for-profit event, the royal street party is supported by a host of high-profile sponsors, including drinks giant Diageo, which is providing Pimm’s, Boots and Marks & Spencer, which is supplying the hamper lunch.

This raises an obvious question: with so many multi-billion-pound FTSE 100 firms involved, why are guests being charged?

A spokesman for the Patron’s Lunch said that while the partners’ backing is generous, it doesn’t cover all the costs, which are ‘significant’. According to Phillips, SEL is being paid a set fee — although the exact amount remains secret. But the real benefit to his Australian employers is undoubtedly the priceless global publicity and kudos.

Which is perhaps why the financial arrangements for the 90th birthday celebration have created a certain amount of disquiet.

‘The feeling is that this hasn’t been handled terribly well, and they (Peter and his firm) have got a lot of ground to make up if it is going to be a success,’ said one royal source.

I agree with the fail and their so-called royal source that this has been very badly handled. When you invite charity workers/ordinary people to a street party to celebrate their patron and their own achievements, then you can't charge them for it.

Another thing who have been badly handled is that Clean for The Queen thing. It is a very good initiative, but it has (who I thought it would) backfired . The Queen (who has nothing to do with it) is now being blasted by nasty/sick people on social media who are angry because they are encouraged to take part. People should keep the Queen's name far away from such campaigns.

I think where Peter made a misstep was to suggest he bid on this event just like every other person. It would have made more sense to state he's organising the Patrons Lunch because he's the Queen's grandson

William and Harry are Co-Presidents of the Patrons Lunch and no one is suggesting they shouldn't be there

Family party at Windsor for 90th | The Sunday Times
THE Queen will celebrate her 90th birthday with two days of public engagements and a family party at Windsor.

As well as a national weekend of celebration in June, she has decided to spend her actual birthday on April 21 in Windsor. She will carry out a series of public engagements on April 20-21, meeting well-wishers in the town where she spends many weekends.

“The feeling is she is aware that the public will want to see her,” said a royal source. “There will also be a large family gathering.”

It is thought most members of the royal family will join the Queen’s closest friends for a private party at Windsor Castle on April 21.

The Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge are expected to give speeches and pay personal tributes to the monarch.

Several other public events are being staged to mark the Queen’s 90th birthday.

In May, a horse pageant celebrating her life will be held over four days from May 12 in the grounds of Windsor Castle.

She did the same for her 80th birthday.

I think where Peter made a misstep was to suggest he bid on this event just like every other person. It would have made more sense to state he's organising the Patrons Lunch because he's the Queen's grandson

William and Harry are Co-Presidents of the Patrons Lunch and no one is suggesting they shouldn't be there

The difference being Will and Harry aren't being paid for it.

Peter's firm is being paid for their work on the event.

I listened carefully to what Peter said and I read many accounts of the interview ... here's my take on it.

Peter had the idea - mentioned it to his company.

BP had done nothing at the time about the 90th birthday

Peter approached BP and said what do you think?

They said - costings for the bash and yr financial terms. Something like this must have happened for HMQ to have knowledge of it.

Peter went back and talked money and BP agreed, having already got agreement from the Queen to have an event. She doesn't get involved in the detail, ie £££.

BP agreed the details. Experienced "buyers" know costs and know costs and cost+ so I will assume that the price is within the realms of reasonable.

But it doesn't look good and the reason for the questions is because Peter is involved.

BUT have we ever known about how events are organised and paid for? the Golden Jubilee Concert wasn't staged for nothing - costs were covered. Free concerts in the park (in the past) - they came at a price but who paid?

Historically I have no idea whether the costs of events have been published in detail and who paid the money (Government, Monarchy, Charities etc). Anyone know?

In this instance, Peter and his organisation are in the clear because the Royal Household are responsible for the issuing and management of contracts.

I know that an extra million pounds was given to The Queen in 2012 to cover the extra costs associated with the Diamond Jubilee - what it was spent on I don't think I ever heard but I did hear about that money - which would suggest that the British taxpayer picked up the costs for some, if not all, of those extra events.

I know that an extra million pounds was given to The Queen in 2012 to cover the extra costs associated with the Diamond Jubilee - what it was spent on I don't think I ever heard but I did hear about that money - which would suggest that the British taxpayer picked up the costs for some, if not all, of those extra events.
no, BBC paid for Diamond Jubilee Concert, Jubilee Pageant was funded by private donations and sponsorship.
The Queen needed extra money for all visits, in UK and in other countries.

And as the lunch is going to be self funded by tickets/tables being sold and corporate sponsors I don't see the fuss if Peter's company are running it. I would care if the government had given the Queen £1million and she said "here Peter go plan a party and keep a fee for yourself", but she hasn't and if people trust Peter and his company with their private money that is up to them.

no, BBC paid for Diamond Jubilee Concert, Jubilee Pageant was funded by private donations and sponsorship.
The Queen needed extra money for all visits, in UK and in other countries.

The BBC is taxpayer funded isn't it? So the taxpayers did pay for it all.

Further information on events for HMQs birthday. From Sunday Times 31/1

QUOTE:

THE Queen will celebrate her 90th birthday with two days of public engagements and a family party at Windsor.

As well as a national weekend of celebration in June, she has decided to spend her actual birthday on April 21 in Windsor. She will carry out a series of public engagements on April 20-21, meeting well-wishers in the town where she spends many weekends.

“The feeling is she is aware that the public will want to see her,” said a royal source. “There will also be a large family gathering.”

It is thought most members of the royal family will join the Queen’s closest friends for a private party at Windsor Castle on April 21.

The Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge are expected to give speeches and pay personal tributes to the monarch.

Further information on events for HMQs birthday. From Sunday Times 31/1

QUOTE:

Oh, I've already posted this above.

The BBC is taxpayer funded isn't it? So the taxpayers did pay for it all.

Yes it went from private to public broadcasting back in the late 20's.

Goes even further. It is a royal charter. The trust that is the board that runs the BBC is appointed by the queen (on advice from government officials).

The BBC is partially funded via a licence fee which has to be paid if you consume television programmes in the UK. However, at least 25% of its funding comes from its for-profit commercial wing, BBC Worldwide, which sells its programmes all over the globe. Additionally, it uses advertising on its websites, for example, for users from outside the UK. It's not entirely tax payer funded.

In the case of the Diamond Jubilee concert, the BBC's funding went to produce a TV programme, which is exactly what it's for. It was a very successful programme also.

Queen marks her 90th birthday | Mail Travel
Kick-off is on the Friday with a National Service of Thanksgiving for the life of the Queen at St Paul’s Cathedral. June 10 is also Prince Philip’s 95th birthday giving another reason to celebrate with the Royal family. The royal family will take part in a carriage procession for the two miles from Buckingham Palace to and from St Paul’s via the Mall, for all to see.

I've read this on other travel sites as well, and if it's true (which I don't think it is) it's going to be the first time it has happened since the Golden Jubilee in 2002, when she traveled in the Gold State Coach from Buckingham Palace to St Paul’s Cathedral. She also used it for both the Silver Jubilee in 1977 and the Coronation in 1953.

She and the royal family also traveled from Buckingham Palace to St Paul’s Cathedral in 1981 for the royal wedding and for the Queen Mother's 80th birthday in 1980. On this two occasions they used the 1902 State Landau (which is likely the carriage the Queen will use if this is true) and the other State Landaus.

Last edited:
There are numerous carriages for them to use. I don't think we will see the Gold State Coach. It's not very comfortable and they didn't bring it out for the diamond jubilee.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

There are numerous carriages for them to use. I don't think we will see the Gold State Coach. It's not very comfortable and they didn't bring it out for the diamond jubilee.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

She will not use the Gold State Coach. I just said if it's true that there is going to be a carriage procession from Buckingham Palace to St Paul’s (which I don't think it is) it's going to be the first time it has happened since the Golden Jubilee in 2002, when she traveled in the Gold State Coach from Buckingham Palace to St Paul’s Cathedral. As I also said, she will most likely use the 1902 State Landau.

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
The Duke and #DuchessofCambridge will speak about the Queen in an @ITV documentary to celebrate her 90th birthday, says @itvpresscentre

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
William and #Kate and Prince Charles and Camilla have all been interviewed for The Queen at 90, a 2-hour film by @hardmanr #Royal #Queenat90

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
Also confirmed this morning, @antanddec will host the Queen's 90th birthday celebrations at the Royal Windsor Horse Show in May #Royal

ITV commissions landmark film for The Queen's 90th birthday

Back
Top Bottom