Earl and Countess of Wessex: Visit to the Caribbean, April 22 - 28, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

From tomorrow, April 22 till April 28 the Earl and Countess of Wessex will visit Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda.

Details have been released by the Palace today:

** Announcement **

* *​

Last edited:
Thanks for all the links to photos and videos. I am pleasantly surprised that British media has gone with them for this.

They both look like they’re genuinely enjoying themselves despite all the background drama. Best to be utterly professional and carry on as normal. I loved Sophie’s red dress upon arrival and I very much liked her church service dress. Her smile is also lovely and brightens up her face. Watching these two do engagements always makes me happy as they always look like they have fun together.

Thanks for all the links to photos and videos. I am pleasantly surprised that British media has gone with them for this.

They both look like they’re genuinely enjoying themselves despite all the background drama. Best to be utterly professional and carry on as normal. I loved Sophie’s red dress upon arrival and I very much liked her church service dress. Her smile is also lovely and brightens up her face. Watching these two do engagements always makes me happy as they always look like they have fun together.

I don't think they have. There is 2 photographers and that is it. There was one journalist that requested a spot and he was rejected. Only the DE appears to be covering it and that appears to be stories based on the pics.

This is another weird royal tour where the colonies are ignored and the visits are to independent countries only.

This is another weird royal tour where the colonies are ignored and the visits are to independent countries only.

Just a note, the term "colony" is no longer used for the Caribbean territories.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/the-british-overseas-territories-in-the-caribbean/

Britain is responsible for the defence, security and diplomatic relations of five territories in the Caribbean. These territories are the Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Anguilla, Montserrat and Turks and Caicos Islands.
Of these territories, it's worth noting that more than half of Montserrat is off limits to visit due to widespread damage caused by volcanic eruptions in the mid-1990's.

Last edited:

They are visiting the Commonwealth realms in the Caribbean, which is appropriate since it is the Queen's Jubilee and the Queen is still the Head of State of those countries even though they are independent.

Canada will be visited too by the PoW and the DoC. I guess Australia is off the table right now because there is an upcoming federal election there in May (which may well result BTW in a new openly republican PM), and I don't know about the other Pacific realms.

I guess Australia is off the table right now because there is an upcoming federal election there in May (which may well result BTW in a new openly republican PM), and I don't know about the other Pacific realms.
Anne and Tim were in Australia and Papua New Guinea only two weeks ago.

Posts about the Edinburgh dukedom have been moved here.

I am getting heartedly annoyed at the people in the Caribbean realms - all these protests against the Earl and Countess of Wessex - two of the hardest working members of the Royal Family, and a short while against the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

What they are complaining about is an event that happened over 200 years ago. The Earl & Countess of Wessex, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, even the Queen, are NOT responsible for slavery.

If they don't want to be Commonwealth Realms let them all become Republics, and good riddance.

I am getting heartedly annoyed at the people in the Caribbean realms - all these protests against the Earl and Countess of Wessex - two of the hardest working members of the Royal Family, and a short while against the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

What they are complaining about is an event that happened over 200 years ago. The Earl & Countess of Wessex, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, even the Queen, are NOT responsible for slavery.

If they don't want to be Commonwealth Realms let them all become Republics, and good riddance.

I am just sad for them to be honest - they are been manipulated by other people. Unfortunately it is very easy for big wallet educated people to spread nonsense and illogical items to desperate people and tell them what is the cause of all their hurts.
It is just ironic that not very far from where Edward and Sophie were handing out the DOE awards is a hospital that was paid for by The Commonwealth and Foreign Office with donations from people of the UK. Edward opened it in the 1980's. He would remember doing so - as it was one of his first solo engagements outside of the UK. So it is very wrong when people ask what has the Commonwealth done for them when not only does it made foreign trade and investment easier, it also is their primary foreign aid provider.

I always point out the difference to people who want to know what difference the Commonwealth makes - and yes it is a very simplest way to do it. Look at Haiti and look at any of the UK Commonwealth countries in the West Indies - domains or tier members.

Last edited:

Overall, this tour isn't going THAT bad for them. They haven't received half as much pushback and protest that went towards the Cambridge's and I'd consider that a win. Plus, protest against the crown aren't uncommon, I believe Prince Harry was protested when he went to Jamaica in 2012.

I haven't seen it posted here but if people want to know WHY people are protesting, an open letter was written (i don't know if I can share the link) but they addressed that part.

"We also know that no one today in your family was alive when the crimes against humanity were committed. So please do not tell us that again either - as other before you have done. We know however that everyone in your family continues to live in the splendor, pomp and wealth attained through the proceeds of the crimes."

And that's the issue. The RF continues to live off of the pain and suffering of those people and their families while those islands still continue and struggle what was done to them. Some, very well might want to just walk away but they can't, because they're reliant on those people that hurt them, left with almost nothing.

But,

I think the biggest issue is...the younger generation. They have no close ties to the UK, they have no close ties to the RF. Sure, you have the tours but how often do these tours happen? I agree that Sophie and Edward work hard but they often work hard in the UK, which is fine, but it does nothing for the common people in the Common Wealth.

Like the other day, after the Prime Minister was done speaking, Edward stated that he didn't take notes while the man was speaking & he wouldn't answer him. That's rude.

And they're coming on behalf of the Monarchy, that's why people are protesting them. It doesn't matter how hard they work, it's who they represent.

And no, just saying we want to leave, won't work for a lot of the smaller nations. Maybe, if they hadn't been damaged so badly with so many resources taken from them, maybe if they were paid for that damaged at this point, they could just say bye and be done but it doesn't just work that way.]

Most simply want a formal apology.

Either way, I'd still consider this tour a success even with the protest. They're not getting the bad international bad press that the Cambridge's got. They're being greeted warmly (I don't think any of the protesting was visible to them at least.), while people have grievances, they've been respected while being talked, conversational, still get to do fun things.

For a tour in 2022 with the world becoming more "woke" in a sense...I'd say this pretty darn good for them.

I see the Wessexes and the Cambridges being caught in the middle with terrible decision making in London. These Caribbean tours don't make in sense with the colonies totally ignored.

I see the Wessexes and the Cambridges being caught in the middle with terrible decision making in London. These Caribbean tours don't make in sense with the colonies totally ignored.

IMO it is unfair to solely blame London as the politicians in those nations are the ones who issued the invitation and are also choosing to make these public statements. They are well aware that members of the BRF do not have the political influence to make any decisions on reparations.

Please note that the United Kingdom does not have any colonies in the Caribbean. There are islands there that are part of the 14 Overseas Territories: the Overseas Territories of Anguilla, the British Virgin Islands and Turks and Caicos.

There are a total of 14 Overseas Territories that have retained a constitutional link with the UK. They are inhabited by around 300,000 citizens and cover a combined area seven times that of the UK. While most are largely self-autonomous, with their own governments and legislative bodies, the Overseas Territories have a strong relational tie to the UK, which assumes responsibility for defence and foreign relations. In a wider sense, the UK also sees its role as “to promote the political, economic, social and educational advancement of the people of the Territories”.
https://www.uk-cpa.org/where-we-work/uk-overseas-territories/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom