The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2021, 07:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Andrea is a male name, Italian equivalent of Andrew (Andrea Casiraghi)
In the UK Andrea is more common as a girls name.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Andrea is a girl's name in many English speaking countries. I have taught many girls named Andrea over my 40 years of teaching in Australia.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:36 AM
Heir Apparent

It is worth remembering, I think, that the new Miss Mapelli Mozzi is only as much Italian as her mother Princess Beatrice is Greek. Edo Mapelli Mozzi is a native-born Briton who has lived in the United Kingdom throughout his life and travels exclusively on a British passport. His father Alex Mapelli Mozzi was born and raised in Argentina, sent to the UK as a teenager in 1963, and naturalized as a British citizen. Edo's mother Nikki Williams-Ellis, née Burrows, is, as far as I have read, not of Italian descent.

Therefore, baby Mapelli Mozzi is three generations removed from her ancestors who were inhabitants of Italy, just as Princess Beatrice and all of her first cousins are three generations removed from their ancestors who were inhabitants of Greece, since Prince Philip left Greece before his second birthday.

Using an Italian name for Miss Mapelli Mozzi would be analogous to using a Greek name for Princess Anne's children (whom she named Peter and Zara Phillips). There would be nothing wrong with it, as the children are untitled members of the extended royal family and not senior royals who might need to use a British name, but it would not be necessary on the basis of their three generations removed Italian/Greek heritage.
Old 09-21-2021, 08:53 AM
Nobility

Flora Elizabeth Victoria
Alice Victoria Mary
Nicole Margaret Eugenie
Alexandra Isabel Sarah
Old 09-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Courtier

I really expect to see a little Victoria. As for middle names, I'm not 100% certain but I'd bet on Elizabeth being included. Maybe something like Victoria Margaret Elizabeth or Victoria Elizabeth Margaret since Sarah's middle name is Margaret or even Victoria Elizabeth Eugenie or Victoria Elizabeth Helena after Eugenie since she and Beatrice are so close.

Whatever they choose I'm looking forward to the announcement of the name and, with any luck, a photo.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:35 PM
Royal Highness

Victoria Elizabeth Margaret
Old 09-21-2021, 01:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is worth remembering, I think, that the new Miss Mapelli Mozzi is only as much Italian as her mother Princess Beatrice is Greek. Edo Mapelli Mozzi is a native-born Briton who has lived in the United Kingdom throughout his life and travels exclusively on a British passport. His father Alex Mapelli Mozzi was born and raised in Argentina, sent to the UK as a teenager in 1963, and naturalized as a British citizen. Edo's mother Nikki Williams-Ellis, née Burrows, is, as far as I have read, not of Italian descent.

Therefore, baby Mapelli Mozzi is three generations removed from her ancestors who were inhabitants of Italy, just as Princess Beatrice and all of her first cousins are three generations removed from their ancestors who were inhabitants of Greece, since Prince Philip left Greece before his second birthday.

Using an Italian name for Miss Mapelli Mozzi would be analogous to using a Greek name for Princess Anne's children (whom she named Peter and Zara Phillips). There would be nothing wrong with it, as the children are untitled members of the extended royal family and not senior royals who might need to use a British name, but it would not be necessary on the basis of their three generations removed Italian/Greek heritage.

It is possible, however, that Edo's father or even Edo himself might hold Italian citizenship (I don't know if they do).

I say so because Italy is (or, at least, used to be in the past) very generous about nationality by descent. There are many second or third-generation Argentinians or Brazilians for example (i.e. people who have only one Italian grandparent or great-grandparent) who nonetheless have Italian passports. It is no so common in the US, although there are many Italian-Americans, probably because Americans are not interested in acquiring other citizenship in the same way as Argentinians or Brazilians are.

Furthermore, Edo's family owns real estate in Italy (including ancestral family seats) and travels frequently to Italy, so they clearly keep a connection to the country. I don't see the need to play that down, as it is not derogatory at all.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a feeling she may choose Elizabeth as the first name.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think Elizabeth will probably be in the name somewhere, somehow, but I don't see it being the first name. I think Beatrice would be cognizant that it's kind of too close in time to the hue and cry of Lilibet's naming. Just my thought though.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It sounds better in Italian: Donna Alicia Elisabetta Mapelli Mozzi.
The Italian form of Alice is Alice (ah-LEE-chay). Alicia is also used but Alice is the more common form.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Furthermore, Edo's family owns real estate in Italy (including ancestral family seats) and travels frequently to Italy, so they clearly keep a connection to the country. I don't see the need to play that down, as it is not derogatory at all.
For Edo himself and for his daughter, I see the press and the public playing the connection up, not down. One could compare it with the treatment of the Belgian royal family, as their family connections to Italy are even closer than Edo's or his daughter's. They have also vacationed in Italy and King Philippe for example is the son of an Italian who not only has family real estate in Italy, but was born and raised there and now resides for much of the year there, yet Philippe unlike Edo is never described as an Italian.

For a British comparison, one could look to the children of the Duchess of Gloucester. Their mother being a native Dane gives them a family connection to Denmark stronger than Edo's family connection to Italy. However, one never sees the Earl of Ulster, Lady Davina Lewis or Lady Rose Gilman (much less their children) described as Danes. And I suspect that the bookkeepers were not seeing as many bets that the Earl, Lady Davina or Lady Rose would choose Danish names for their children.

There would be nothing strange in the Mapelli Mozzis choosing an Italian name for their daughter, and there would have been nothing strange in the Earl and Countess of Ulster choosing Danish names for their children or Princess Anne and Mark Phillips choosing Greek names for theirs. However, there is a difference in how their similar degrees of foreign heritage have been treated. And to be honest, I suspect that if Edo's parents had named him Edward Burrows rather than Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi, then he and his daughter would be treated more alike other royal family members with foreign heritage.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Excited to see if they're going for something similar to Wolfie with an honour name first and then a secondary name and/or nickname she'll be known by, or if they'll just go for a first name they like and keep the honour names in the middle. I suspect a nickname will be involved. Regardless, I have high hopes that Beatrice and Edo will come up with something neat.

Susan or a variation thereof seems like a pretty good guess for somewhere in the name with it being the name of both Beatrice's and Edo's maternal grandmother. Would love Alice for them but isn't Beatrice's maternal aunt named Alice? Don't know how close they are though.

I've also been toying with an animal-related name to match Wolfie (and by a stretch also August Philip Hawke ). Before H&M went for Lilibet, I was really liking Elizabeth with the nickname Birdie I don't know if they'd consider that too close to Lilibet but they could obviously still use it in the middle. They could also go for Isabella which I believe is the Italian variation of Elizabeth.

Isabella Susan Victoria
Victoria Philippa Wren
Elizabeth Susan Alice "Birdie"
Susanna Elizabeth Alice "Birdie"

Gaia Elizabeth Victoria
Luna Philippa Susan
Ottilie Alice Elizabeth "Otter"
Cosima Elizabeth Lark "Mimi"

Old 09-22-2021, 01:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Italian pure version of Elizabeth is Elisabetta.
Isabella is a Spanish and Italian variation on Elizabeth.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:23 AM
Majesty

Instead of Philippa for a middle name, the variant Philippine or Philippina
Old 09-22-2021, 04:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Helena Elizabeth
Cecily Victoria

Both are beautiful names IMO but I have a funny feeling that they will surprise us!
Old 09-22-2021, 05:24 AM
Commoner

Loving the Isabella suggestion, seems to go well with a lot of the middle names they could use as tributes. Though perhaps Isabel if they choose to put Sarah in.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:59 AM
Commoner

Isabella Victoria Sarah
Old 09-22-2021, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meee View Post
Loving the Isabella suggestion, seems to go well with a lot of the middle names they could use as tributes. Though perhaps Isabel if they choose to put Sarah in.
I like the name, but it always seems to devolve into "Izzy" or "Iz" which I find horrible.

I'm hoping for something traditional and not trendy.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sara Nicola Mapelli Mozzi

Sara to grandmother Sarah Ferguson
Nicola to grandmother Nicola Burrrows
Old 09-22-2021, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

Victoria Sarah Nicola. Gift to Sarah from Andrew was Queen Victoria diaries. Beatrice was in the movie as a lady in the coronation for Queen Victoria and then to simple to honor both grandmother's.