Names and godparents for Beatrice and Edo's first child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, yes! I forgot about Wolfie's first name being Christopher. You are right...Christian is too similar. It is unlikely they will use it(at least not as a first name)

I agree that Edo doesn't seem close with his father but i hope they won't rule out Alexander/Alessandro as a name.

Let's expand a bit (while sticking to my earlier idea of 'Victoria' (probably called 'Vicky' in daily life)).

Names already in the (wider) family:
Beatrice: Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Edo: Edoardo Alessandro
Wolfie: Christopher Woolf

Grandparents (with their parents)
Andrew: Andrew Albert Christian Edward (Philip & Elizabeth Alexandra Mary)
Sarah: Sarah Margaret (Ronald & Susan)
Alex: Alessandro (Gian Paolo & Gigliola)
Nikki: Nicola Diana (Susan Arnot & Robert David)

Siblings:
Eugenie: Eugenie Victoria Helena (with child: August Philip Hawke)
Natalia: Natalia Alice
Albemarle: Albemarle Christopher

Albemarle uses the name Alby Shale. I can see your point that Edo Mapelli Mozzi's family seems to have a tradition of being known by nicknames in daily life (Edo, Wolfie, Alby, Nikki, Alex).

I am not sure about Edo's closeness to his father; while I also suggested Alexandra (as a tribute to the queen), that is the reason I doubted them picking Alexander or Alessandro for a son. It seems rather telling that Wolfie's first name is 'Christopher' - the name of Edo's stepfather.

Indeed, at Christopher Shale's funeral, Edo Mapelli Mozzi did not refer to Mr. Shale as his stepfather but as "the only father I had ever known".

Isabella as an Italian variation of Elizabeth would be lovely.

Alessandra is nice and she could be called ‘Aless’ -pronounced like Alice - for a nickname.

Susanna is pretty as well.

To honor Philip if it’s a boy they could use Felippo as a middle name.

I am not sure an unanglicized Italian name is likely. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi shortened his Italian first name to the non-Italian (I presume) nickname of "Edo" in daily life, and he and his former partner selected English given names and nickname for his first child. On Princess Beatrice's side of the family, neither her sister nor her parents included unanglicized Greek, Danish, or other foreign names in the names of their children.

Let's expand a bit (while sticking to my earlier idea of 'Victoria' (probably called 'Vicky' in daily life)).

Names already in the (wider) family:
Beatrice: Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Edo: Edoardo Alessandro
Wolfie: Christopher Woolf

Grandparents (with their parents)
Andrew: Andrew Albert Christian Edward (Philip & Elizabeth Alexandra Mary)
Sarah: Sarah Margaret (Ronald & Susan)
Alex: Alessandro (Gian Paolo & Gigliola)
Nikki: Nicola Diana (Susan Arnot & Robert David)

S
Son: Fergus Albert
--> Had a really hard time coming up with an acceptable first name for a boy until I found this list of true upper class names: and Fergus stood out in connection to the name 'Ferguson' (not very likely but it would be a bold choice).
--> Albert in reference to Beatrice's great-grandfather AND queen Victoria's husband (and grandfather Andrew ALBERT ...)

).

It is lovely to again be guessing names for a baby in the Royal Family. I love the idea of Fergus Albert. It is about the only one of Andrew's names that is "available and acceptable' to name a little boy. The names Andrew itself would be very unpopular. Christian is too close to young Wolfie's name.While Edward is okay, there is Prince Edward, Edo, who have this name Albert was also the first name of the baby's ggf King George VI.

For a little boy
Albert is a very possible name either s a first name or a middle name
Simon
Nicholas

For a little girl
Susanna
Nicola
Margaret
Pearl

Susan is a name in both families but it somehow didn't sound right for me; but Susanna would be a nice alternative.

It is lovely to again be guessing names for a baby in the Royal Family. I love the idea of Fergus Albert.
The Queen named one of her new puppies "Fergus" so I hardly think that Beatrice would use the name too. And sadly, puppy Fergus died over the weekend. :sad:

Susan's another name which is out of fashion at the moment. It was incredibly popular in the 1940s and 1950s, and to a lesser extent in the 1960s and 1970s, but it went "out" and hasn't come back "in" yet ... along with Linda, Janice, Marilyn, Janet, Margaret, Anne and various other names. Suzanne was popular in the 1970s, but that's now "out" as well ... along with Alison, Helen, Sarah, etc. Everything comes back in eventually - Albert was seen as very old-fashioned when I was a kid, and you rarely met an Albert born after the First World War, but it's now "in" again.

Last edited:
I would be shocked to see Eugenie named as a godparent. Eugenie occupies an esteemed and permanent role in the baby's life as an aunt, and I think we will see Beatrice and Edo honor those with a less formal or defined "built-in" role in the child's life by naming them godparents.

I would be shocked to see Eugenie named as a godparent. Eugenie occupies an esteemed and permanent role in the baby's life as an aunt, and I think we will see Beatrice and Edo honor those with a less formal or defined "built-in" role in the child's life by naming them godparents.

Why would you be "shocked"? Its Beas right to choose whom she thinks is most sutiable to be Godmother, and she may well choose Eugenie....

Louise Windsor is an excellent choice for godmother.

There are also some good candidates on Sarah's side -- Jane's children, and the offspring from Major Ron's marriage to the former Susan Deptford.

Yeah, nowadays the BRF seem to view a godparent as an honorary aunt/uncle. So it would be redundant to make an Aunt or Uncle a godparent.

Perhaps a playful name chosen with the older brother, Wolfie, in mind...

Katherine Mary Susan - Kitty
Lionel Edward Christian - Lion
Timothy Gerald Philip - Tiger
Philippa Elizabeth Rose - Filly

What is Wolfie's real name? I actually thought he was truly Wolfie :cool:

Not a fan of nicknames.
And I think they should drop that whole "Wolfie" thing; nicknames that may seem cute when the child is tiny sound ridiculous when s/he grows up.

think there's no guessing what minor royals will call their children nowadays. Look at August.

Tongue in cheek, I am suggesting Elise or Eliza Margaret for a girl and Filipe Eduardo for a boy

Tongue in cheek, I am suggesting Elise or Eliza Margaret for a girl and Filipe Eduardo for a boy

I'd say its possible they'll go for something Victorian, at least if its a girl. Maybe Victoria or Alice..

Flora, Ivy or Isabell would be nice. I have a feeling this baby is a girl.

I'm thinking a girl and going with

Elizabeth Sarah

For some reason I keep thinking Victoria or something from that era of the family. Maybe because Bea's name is from Victoria's daughters. As are Eugenie's middle names.

I'm sure Elizabeth will be there.

I honestly think they use a female version of Philip somewhere. Not as first name but second or third.
First name will be something nobody thinks of but nevertheless will be awesome.

I still believe a name Philippa will be included.

I know that Edo is not close to his father Alessandro, but I have always loved the name Alessandra for a girl.

But I also think they could honor his beloved stepfather by calling her Cristina, Edo's mother by calling her Nicola, or HMQ with Elizabeth.

I am almost certain that godparents will be the couples' sisters and brothers.;)

I bet the girl's name will be: Victoria Elizabeth Sarah Mapelli Mozzi.

Back
Top Bottom