Will Criticism of Princess Letizia Increase or Decrease when she becomes Queen?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think she will always be criticized because in general terms,she is not very popular in Spain.Most people think she has a bad temperament,she is not sweet,she has been ambitius to marry a prince ,she tries to play a role in an institution ,she, in the past, did not like...There are many critics in Spain of herself.

As well as things go on with Letizia it'll be a miracle she become the queen of Spain. At least prince Felipe and Letizia have to wait ten years to be accepted by most of Spanish people. And they expect Letizia changes her attitude with her in laws and stop blaming others for her problems. Besides she doesn't show the infantas to the people (I mean thru the press as queen Sofia used to do when she was the princess of Spain) Spanish people are customed to see and feel their royal family in every day activities.

Besides she doesn't show the infantas to the people (I mean thru the press as queen Sofia used to do when she was the princess of Spain) Spanish people are customed to see and feel their royal family in every day activities.

She? Why do you assume that it was just her decision and Felipe had no part of it or even The Powers That Be at Zarzuela? Besides we don't really see much of the other young princes either in "everyday activities". We don't see much of Mathilde's and Mette-Marit's, and I don't follow Mary so I don't know. Not to mention Maxima's children are protected by that law, no paparazzi photos for those kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever criticizes her for not providing a male heir need to slap themselves, now. Don't they realize that it's the sperm that dictates whether the child will be a boy or a girl? Honestly, I hate ignorance like that. They should blame CP Felipe if it made any more sense.

As well as things go on with Letizia it'll be a miracle she become the queen of Spain. At least prince Felipe and Letizia have to wait ten years to be accepted by most of Spanish people. And they expect Letizia changes her attitude with her in laws and stop blaming others for her problems. Besides she doesn't show the infantas to the people (I mean thru the press as queen Sofia used to do when she was the princess of Spain) Spanish people are customed to see and feel their royal family in every day activities.

It's clear that you basis your comments about Princess Letizia on what yellow press want to say about her, it is a pity.

When you say "they expect Letizia changes her attitude with her in laws and stop blaming others for her problems", what are you talking about?.

Queen Sofia has made it clear, there is nothing wrong going on with anyone, Queen Sofia has said, "they made up such things", in spanish. dicen cada cosa.

And about press queen said "periodistas de mala baba", means, hateful or annoying press, so, Princess Letizia is well accepted in Spain, you can check her schedule, her outdoor activities, and you will find how many people in Spain wait to see her, to touch her, this bad image of princess Letizia has been sponsored for a spiteful journalist whose carreer has got way down since he has been in every yellow tv program talking about in the worst way on princess Letizia, even he has insulted her family, and she never has said a word neither her family, so this man is just crap.

He used to have a promising carreer, but it was an issue with queen Sofia and he never has recovered from that, before he lose her daughter he asked for help to queen Sofia but what could she do??, when his daughter were lost in the drogs. Her daugther died, and this stupid guy believes that if QS has helped him, his daughter would have never died. so since then he attack the Spanish royal family for whatever he wants, and her lately toy is Princess Letizia, so all those Trash story about if princess is good or bad, believe me, they are lies.

what happens is that many people in spain watch this kind of programs, and it begins gossips, but as you can see, there is nothing going on in what you have stated, perhaps you should read more realible press and you will realise that there are just lies, lies and lies.

Serious journalist, upper class people from spain, and so many other, including people from the goverment have told the same thing, "she is a wonderful princess, and will be a excelent queen."

Of course this guy and the yellow tv programs in Spain will continue saying stupids things about princess Letizia, you know, business are business, but this isn't real journalism, nevermind.

not providing a male heir (YET) : Increase, please now year 2008
her clothes, either blowing in the wind or her bikini : no problem
her previous marriage/divorce : Now she is married to Prince of Austrias, this is sufficient.
her relationship with her husband and In-Laws : She is good wife and good mother
her parents and sisters: Increase, They are family and outside Spanish Royal Family

Letizia very very good wife, good daugther in law and good mother.
Intelligence, elegance, I think Letizia fit for Queen title.

I don't understand this post!!! at all.
Perhaps if I were a Spaniard it would be clearer to me but, blaming others for her problems, what problems? Waiting ten years, aren't they already loved and accepted by the people? Her relationship with her in-laws seems very close to me, am I wrong???? Showing her babies to the press, is that a prerequisite of being a royal??? I didn't realise that. I must be out of the loop :ohmy:

And they expect Letizia changes her attitude with her in laws and stop blaming others for her problems

it has been repeatedly said that letizia's attitute and relation with her in laws couldn't get better. she is close to the queen and the infantas and husbands.

blaming others? i really don't know what you mean. she never blamed anyone. not that i know of.

Besides she doesn't show the infantas to the people (I mean thru the press as queen Sofia used to do when she was the princess of Spain) Spanish people are customed to see and feel their royal family in every day activities.

yes, spanish people are used to seeing their royal family in every day activities. because of that, leonor and sofia are not seen that much. they are just little girls and have no official functions as of yet. it would be inappropriate to take them along to engagements. they will start doing activities when they have to. as of now, they are just children and their role is to play and go to school, just like anyone else.

I think she will always be criticized because in general terms,she is not very popular in Spain.Most people think she has a bad temperament,she is not sweet,she has been ambitius to marry a prince ,she tries to play a role in an institution ,she, in the past, did not like...There are many critics in Spain of herself.

Letizia got many criticisms from Spanish people because of her wild jumping in June at Euro 2008 Football after 3 days her grandmother’s death. Not to mention her past and her complete image makeovers.

Letizia got many criticisms from Spanish people because of her wild jumping in June at Euro 2008 Football after 3 days her grandmother’s death.

come on, i can't believe what we are discussing. i doubt 0.001% of the spanish people remember letizia jumping just after her grandma's death. it's just us, the police at TRF who do. letizia's grandma was old and it was expected. even in the funeral, letizia didn't look very affected. it's just the cycle of life. it's simply normal that after 3 days she can feel cheery enough to support her country. however, this isn't really what matters: what was important is that even after her death, she was able to pull together and keep on doing her duties. it's called professionalism. now, that's what the spanish people remember.

people have differing opinions on letizia. however, i'd say the great majority have a normal-positive attitude towards her.
however, i don't know where you got that letizia opposed the monarchy. i certainly never read this.

I have said it always, the time puts everything in its place. The Princess Letizia has been the easy aim, in order that they were criticizing some to the Monarchy and were doing money. But the people are bored, the Princess isn´t the culprit of all the males of the royal family. The majority of the news on her are gossips, ridiculous histories or out of context. And ultimately the people get bored with these things, which initially seemed funny , now it infuriates. And it infuriates because the Princess with her attitude and her work is demonstrating that she is not who they pledged in describing.

The reality is that the Princess does her work of serious and discreet form, often doing what seems to be impossible, that her husband and not she is the one that catches the attention. There is unanimity in which with she the Prince is a more nearby person and of which she is raising two happy and polite well girls. She has not done awkward declarations, has created neither political discussions, nor diplomatic problems, is not the wasteful one...

The reality is that they have been other members of the Royal Family those who have provoked serious controversies. He was the King the one that said " "¿Por qué no te callas? " to another Chief of State in an International Summit, she was the Infanta Elena the one that separated, was the Queen the one that took part in a book with polemic declarations... in comparison with it the gossips on the Princess are anecdotes without transcendency.

If Letizia were my future queen, I would be very proud and happy. She is beautiful, has great style, is an excellent mother. She and Felipe seem to be very much in love. She is mother to two beautiful Infantas. Why would anyone want to find fault?

If Letizia were my future queen, I would be very proud and happy. She is beautiful, has great style, is an excellent mother. She and Felipe seem to be very much in love. She is mother to two beautiful Infantas. Why would anyone want to find fault?

Beats me, Almab. Whenever I see pictures of Letizia and Felipe amongst spaniards, I see people who look genuinely HAPPY to be in their presence. They get throngs of people greeting them to whatever event they are doing.

Felipe and Letizia will make good monarchs. He has the woman he loves by his side and they have their beautiful daughters that they love and adore.

This thread is now reopened. If this thread becomes a war zone again then it will be closed permanently. Please read TRF's rules and FAQs before you post and remember:

Be Polite!
No personal attacks

Any posts that do not follow the rules will be deleted without warning.

The SRF Mods

Last edited:
i just wonder why the crown princess does not seem to have a solo engagement..all i see on all royal blogs are the two of them together..and i haven't heard leticia speak in public (so far) unlike the others...too bad since she used to be a journalist..wouldn't it be nice to hear her speeches???just wondering

i just wonder why the crown princess does not seem to have a solo engagement..all i see on all royal blogs are the two of them together..and i haven't heard leticia speak in public (so far) unlike the others...too bad since she used to be a journalist..wouldn't it be nice to hear her speeches???just wondering

Letizia has had about 15 solo engagements this year, you can find information and photos of them from this thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f11/princess-letizia-current-events-part-16-a-18668-20.html
Letizia´s speeches can be found here:
Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España/Princesa/Discursos y mensajes
Maybe you can find videos of Letizia´s speeches in Youtube, try there.

If there is a male child now, there will forever be doubt as to his moral right to the throne, if not his legal right. He may ascend to the throne, but he won't be the real heir.

Then Felipe is not the rightful heir to the throne, as Elena is the first born is the same thing. IMO, a male heir should be produced. Becuase otherwise it wont be fair to Elena and little Felipe.

But then again, I believe that she is the one that should ascend to the throne as the first born, and her son as Prince of Asturias. But sadly that won't happen.

I've been out of Spain for 3 years now and to be honest I haven't followed what the yellow press say. But I know about Peñafiel and other republicans that make a living of criticsizing poor Letizia. The woman is trying her best and she's doing a good job. She's not a 100% of my liking, I can't really see the woman as a queen. But that's not an excuse to insult her.

About the relationship with the family I can't know, as pictures is one thing and what goes behind the scenes is another thing. But of what I see, everybody seem to ignore the Asturias. I haven't seen Juan Carlos being all nice and sweet with the girls as he is with Pablo and Miguel.

Her appearance, OMG what has the CR done to this woman? IS not her anymore and it makes me worry about her health. She looks so sick and fragile. But that's another thing and I don't want to get in trouble here. But I worry that all the pressure is taking its toll on her.

I think it is ok if she doesn't do a lot of solo engagements. Queen Silvia has said that she and her husband enjoy doing engagements together rather than apart. Each couple is different. They really work hard for their country.

I really do not think that Letizia is unhappy.
She is a serious person and she wants to do her job very well, so some times she might feel stressed, because she has not been grown into royalty and she has to catch some missing thinks, but it does not make her unhappy in her life.

She is married to a handsome guy who loves her and he was ready to give up to his rights for her, he still loves her and supports her, and she has two sweet girls. She is young, and if she really wants to have a boy, they can try to have it, where is the big deal???? Queen Sofia had Felipe years after his sisters, and at this time it was really a drama not having a male...
And in any case if they do not have a boy, it is biologically due to the father...

Secondly, she seems to do better and better her job, press is really recognizing it, this is also a success!;)

The only point which could provoke criticisms is her humble origin :eek:, but in the name of God! she is not responsible and she can not change it! Pcs Felipe has chosen her, it is not her fault!

Her way to dress is quite nice (not always for me but 95%) the most of times. I do not understand about the bikini, what happened? Where is the critisicm?

Generally speeking, she seems trying a lot, why we should blame her? They are other royal born... who succeed much less than her!

Her way to dress is quite nice (not always for me but 95%) the most of times. I do not understand about the bikini, what happened? Where is the critisicm?

Two summers ago, two paparazzi photographers climbed the hills for about 2 hours, were able take pictures of Letizia in bikini and Queen Sofia in swimsuit at the military island with high power lenses, the pictures were sold to Hola for about 300K Euro. There were not much criticism except some ultra right thought royals should never wear bikinis, or few yellow press journalists who were extremely jealous of these two photographers collecting so much money. At least the two worked hard for their pictures, not like them simply sitting at the comfortable studios gossiping.

Two summers ago, two paparazzi photographers climbed the hills for about 2 hours, were able take pictures of Letizia in bikini and Queen Sofia in swimsuit at the military island with high power lenses, the pictures were sold to Hola for about 300K Euro. There were not much criticism except some ultra right thought royals should never wear bikinis, or few yellow press journalists who were extremely jealous of these two photographers collecting so much money. At least the two worked hard for their pictures, not like them simply sitting at the comfortable studios gossiping.

Thanks!

Both Infantas Christina & Elena wear bikinis.
CP Mary wears bikini
Both Sweddish Princesses wear bikini
Monaco princesses wear bikini
And late Pcs Diana was wearing bikini, even in advanced pregnancy, if I'm not wrong!
(I do not know about the other British princesses, but they'w better not to wear bikinis)
So why Letizia, who has an amazing figure, should not wear a bikini????????

By the way, does someone has this pictures?? I never saw them

The critizism is likely to increase for Queen Letizia what imo has to do with her perfection predecessor, Queen Sofia.

I think it's safe to say that Sofia has had huge impact on where Spain (as a democracy) and the Spanish monarchy are today. She is the perfect royal, equipped with the right genealogy and especially with the right attitude to be a consort: it's always about the monarchy, never about personal issues. Sofia never thought twice when it came down to self-sacrifice for the sake of the monarchy, and that includes an unhappy marriage, because this is the way she was brought up.

It may well be that "perfect" royals like Sofia, QE II or Beatrix will be extinct soon, simply because their successors, even the royal-born ones, have become too "normal". Especially women like Letizia who grew up with the right of self-fulfillment and personal freedom as a matter of course, will struggle simply because they are not used to the fact that these goods will be lost forever when becoming a royal.

Especially the situation is Spain where the monarchy is not such a fast-selling item like in other countries and is unlikely to ever become one, it is inevitable that people will compare the achievements and personal sacrifices of Queen Sofia for the sake of the country and the monarchy to what a Queen Letizia will achieve or will be willing to sacrifice. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that Letizia will be struggling as Queen since she has already been stuggling as PoA, simply because she's lacking Queen Sofia's "equipment", see above. But to be fair, almost anyone would, especially in Spain.

On her engagment day, when Letizia still was self-confident and did some bossy talking, she said that it would be her aim to follow "the priceless example of the Queen" - I guess she is still figuring out what that actually means, every single day of her life when trying to please the Spanish people.

I don´t hurt the criticize to Letizia .There are journalists in Spain that they are friend of Letizia, who think that critize to the Queen , their friend Letizia could be more admire by people . I think that Letizia will have that strive to live up to the Queen and not to Conversely ....

Duke, I think 80% of the criticism was from the old man Jaime Penafiel, once this old man is gone (nobody could live forever), 80% of the criticism would be gone :lol:, I doubt she wil be criticized more in the future, it's already less, I guess people are pretty much sick of 'She was divorced', 'Her grandpa was a taxi driver' in about every criticism of this old man. Plus as Letizia gets older, her clothes or shoes would be less of the public interests, wouldn't be the main talk of the tabloid shows.
Queen Sofia was also being criticized for her bad Spanish, being aloof when she was young. Her popularity only went up after the incident in 1992 (you know what I'm talking about). She belongs to another era when the media was more restricted and no internet. I seriously doubt her marriage would have survived with today's media.

The reality is that the topic of which the Queen Sofia " is perfect " is very questionable, and used often by certain journalists to criticize and to underestimate the princess.

Initially of her arrival to Spain the Queen was criticized hardly, for many years she was considered to be a rigid and cold woman, and only the arrival of the grandchildren was capable of modifying this image of her. After a few years of good popularity, of image of sweet grandmother and solidary woman, the published in the book in her 70 birthdays and some absences like that of this summer in Mallorca, have returned to demonstrate that she is not so perfect.

The Princess is the innovation, is young, attractive, has two beautiful daughters ... and her image assures success of sales of the magazines. But it will pass and the press will have a new aim.

The Princess is the innovation, is young, attractive, has two beautiful daughters ... and her image assures success of sales of the magazines. But it will pass and the press will have a new aim.

Yes but it will only be a shift within the family: the new aim will be Letizia's daughters when they get older (fortunately for the media they both are girls and people love to gossip about looks), and finally Leonor's husband, whoever the poor guy will be. Anything that is wrong with the kids will be blamed on their mother anyway and to see your kids becoming the centre of polemic might be even more unpleasant as being targeted yourself.

donnaK
I seriously doubt her marriage would have survived with today's media.

Let's agree to disagree here. Sofia origines from an environment that makes her put up with everything as long as it serves the purpose what is the long-term survival of the Spanish monarchy. Examples range from her Don Juan at home to the plebejan daughter-in-law she certainly never had in mind for Felipito. The fragility of the Spanish monarchy has the potential to ask for similar sacrifices in the future, who knows. Sofia was well prepared in that sense.

I want specify.I don´t blame of it to Letizia.I blame to her journalists friends .For me Jaime Peñafiel and Mariangeles Alcazar are equals..He against Letizia and She against the Queen.They make very evil to institution of Monarchy.:bang:

Back
Top Bottom