The Princess of Asturias and The Infanta Sofía's News Thread, Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what happens if some medical obligation arises that prevents her from fulfilling this to the letter?

Princess of Asturias is going to attend the officer schools, which currently in Spain offer civil and university training. Soldiers like Leonor who enter the academy after completing the Baccalaureate complete a four-year degree in engineering while doing their military training.

https://ejercito.defensa.gob.es/en/...ET-GC-ingreso-sin-titulacion.html?__locale=en

In the case of Leonor, the royal house and the government have completed a 3-year program and in the three armies, so although she will not complete her engineering degree, she will take university degree subjects.

I believe she is doing exactly the same as her father did, i.e., three years of military training in the 3 services, a civilian university degree in Spain, and finally a postgraduate degree overseas (probably in the United States).

That sounds like a plan. Lets see how this evolves over time.

Its a shame its not the other way round, fun and relative freedom at uni then serious stuff with the military. Also she won’t be with people of the same age when she does go to Uni. Wonder if it is designed that way so they do serious studying and no partying?

I agree, its abit of a shame. She'll miss out especially on having girls around her of the same age at uni. My guess is that especially in the military the majority of class mates will still be male, what was kind of life saving for JC, who made very important friends there, and for Felipe as well. And it's not ideal to leave a group who will go on for another year and do their degree together.
But the path has been chosen, Leonor will certainly make the best of it!

Perhaps they think that in military life she will be more protected, and they want to wait until she is older to go to university.

Students enter the officer schools after completing the baccalaureate and must have a high grade in the university entrance exam. She will begin her military training with people her age and a year older than her, and in the military environment that is always closest to the Crown. In addition, the schools are in small cities, where the pressure of the press is much less than in Madrid.

Leonor will foreseeably study at a public university in Madrid, where the student body will be varied and there will be more critical groups in many aspects and there is more pressure from the press. Perhaps they think that it is better that she is a little older to face such exposure.

If I was advising them I would recommend university in Barcelona

If I was advising them I would recommend university in Barcelona

Poor Leonor! The separatists would harass her. Not that she has more chances of being happy in Madrid either. I'd recommend Salamanca (very good Uni) or Santiago, but it will most likely be the Complutense in Madrid.

Salamanca would indeed be an excellent choice of university... But that's about 3 1/2 years away as she has no other option than spending the next three years in military training.

If the page defaults to Spanish language, just mouse over it and right click to select Translate to English

GIJane Leonor Military Training:​

:crown5:
Leonor's military future through her father's eyes

"It will be three years of training. During the 2023-2024 academic year it will be at the General Academy of Zaragoza de Tierra; in 2024-2025, at the Naval School of Marín, where the training ship Juan Sebastián Elcano will also embark; and in 2025-2026, at the Air Academy of San Javier"

From Amalia of Holland to Ingrid of Norway: Princess Leonor's predecessors 'at the front'

[FONT=""Century Gothic"]"...the Minister of Defense, Margarita Robles, has already been in charge of revealing what are the plans of the heiress to the throne for the next course, among which are her entry into the General Military Academy of the Army, in Zaragoza."[/FONT]

From Zaragoza to Murcia: these are the scenarios of Princess Leonor's military training

[FONT=""Century Gothic"]it is expected that the eldest daughter of Felipe VI will enter the General Military Academy of the Army, in Zaragoza, thus being able to follow in the footsteps of her father when receiving training in the three armies to prepare perfectly for her figure in the first line of the Spanish Royal Family when appropriate.[/FONT]

Last edited:
It's interesting to see that Leonor's studies and training appear to be on an identical track to her father's. Which means she may also obtain a master's degree abroad in the future.

My experience as a female vet was that you formed strong bonds with the other women, and I hope this becomes true for Leonor as well. I don't envy having to train in all branches, and essentially having to start over with a new group each fall.

I don't know if being a bit older than other University students will be such a problem for her. In all likelihood, she was never going to have the carefree young collegiate experience anyway. It would be catastrophic for her to be photographed drunk falling out of a bar at midnight. So she'll likely be socializing privately with the upper class, including friends from her school days, away from the more typical University fare.

Thank you to everyone who posted information. I am pleased both that Princess Leonor will undergo the same training as a male Prince would, and that the special treatment she will receive in terms of programming and promotions was transparently and formally approved by the government (it is an interesting contrast to the approach on certain occasions in other monarchies when it was denied that royals received special treatment from the military even when the denials strained plausibility).

Oh so Leonor is going to follow her father's military path straightaway. I actually thought she was going to university after finishing the UWC school, but it seems not yet.

I hope it will be a great experience for her and she'll make great friends, especially female friends since they'll be few but will form a close bond with each other.

Can't wait to see pictures of her enrolling the first military school (like she did with UWC).

How would a ceremony of investiture of a Prince(ss) of Asturias when turns 18?

How would a ceremony of investiture of a Prince(ss) of Asturias when turns 18?

According to the Constitution, Leonor must be sworn in before the Cortes Generales (Congress and Senate) when she turns 18. The problem is that at the end of this year there are general elections and there are problems with the dates so that she can do it on her birthday. Palace, Government and Parliament are studying when the ceremony can be.

"​The King, on being proclaimed before the Cortes Generales, shall take oath to discharge his duties faithfully, to abide by the Constitution and the law and ensure that they are abided by, and to respect the rights of citizens and the Autonomous Communities.

The Crown Prince, on coming of age, and the Regent or Regents, on assuming office, shall take the same oath, as well as that of loyalty to the King."

The problem is that at the end of this year there are general elections and there are problems with the dates so that she can do it on her birthday. Palace, Government and Parliament are studying when the ceremony can be.

But have a date for the elections?

I don't understand what a general election has to do with the swearing in of the Princess of Asturias.

I don't understand what a general election has to do with the swearing in of the Princess of Asturias.

The Princess of Asturias must be sworn in before the chambers of Congress and Senate, and in the pre-electoral period they do not meet, only a Permanent Commission that has limited powers meets. If the Government decides to complete the legislature up to the limit allowed by law, on Leonor's 18th birthday they would be in that situation.

The Princess of Asturias must be sworn in before the chambers of Congress and Senate, and in the pre-electoral period they do not meet, only a Permanent Commission that has limited powers meets. If the Government decides to complete the legislature up to the limit allowed by law, on Leonor's 18th birthday they would be in that situation.
Ok i now understand. But would it be not possible to have an exceptional meeting for her birthday?

Oh so Leonor is going to follow her father's military path straightaway. I actually thought she was going to university after finishing the UWC school, but it seems not yet.

I think they stick to Felipe's way, that already started with the 'normal' school, because it its widely accepted that it has been a good one.
If they changed anything about it, there would be huge discussions about what is wrong or right for Leonor, by keeping the tradition there won't be any questions.
We don't know if Felipe himself was happy with his own way, and Leonor is a girl in a very male dominated field. Plus, times have changed with (social) media pressure. Only time will tell if sticking to the schedule did Leonor a favor or not.
My first thought has always been that she will be 3 years older at uni or master than her classmates, but it does not have to be a disadvantage.

I think they stick to Felipe's way, that already started with the 'normal' school, because it its widely accepted that it has been a good one.

If they changed anything about it, there would be huge discussions about what is wrong or right for Leonor, by keeping the tradition there won't be any questions.

We don't know if Felipe himself was happy with his own way, and Leonor is a girl in a very male dominated field. Plus, times have changed with (social) media pressure. Only time will tell if sticking to the schedule did Leonor a favor or not.

My first thought has always been that she will be 3 years older at uni or master than her classmates, but it does not have to be a disadvantage.
Will Princess Leonor really be older than her fellow students? I don't know how it works in Spain, but those times I've attended university in Sweden there has been a variety of ages with those 20-25 in a majority and many older. While a few go directly from high school to university many work, travel or study to get better grades before applying to university.

Leonor will be used to being the youngest when she reaches university, and there she will be older than her peers.

In Spain, the usual thing is that students enter the university at the age of 18, after finishing baccalaureate and taking the university entrance exam in May. When she starts officer school, she'll do the first two courses in one, so she'll start with a group of students that will mostly be her age and then move on to students a year older.

In Spain, children are enrolled in school by year of birth, so having been born in October, she has always been one of the youngest in her class. In Wales this difference is greater, because students come from all over the world, from different educational systems and the schooling age is different, there are also cases of scholarship holders who try several times before being able to enter, and in her course there are people who already has reached the age of 19 or 20.

In Spain, the usual thing is that students enter the university at the age of 18, after finishing baccalaureate and taking the university entrance exam in May. When she starts officer school, she'll do the first two courses in one, so she'll start with a group of students that will mostly be her age and then move on to students a year older.

So gap years aren't really a thing in Spain?

If she continues to follow Felipe's way she will do a masters abroad, where there is a melting pot of nations. I know some young people who do uni and masters and are finished with education at 22 or 23. But of course they know nothing of working life. So another option is to do the studies and then do some actual work at companies, before doing the master. There are even universities that will only take on students for a master who have already worked for at least 2 years.
My point is that the difference will be less evident when Leonor goes abroad again for her master. Felipe did his in Georgetown, US.

At the moment they are studying the laws to see what they can do.

Zarzuela clarifies that Princess Leonor resigns and will not receive any compensation during her military training

The students of the military academies are entitled to a remuneration of 417 euros

https://www.eldebate.com/gente/2023...ibucion-durante-formacion-militar_101612.html

Thanks Lula for the post above. Glad to see she declines payment even if it's fair to her to be paid.

Re her ascension to Princess of Asturias on her birthday, hope the timing can be arranged so all the news on that week are featuring her. Can't wait to see her finally in a tiara moment and established as the next head of state.

So gap years aren't really a thing in Spain?

Not at all.

While most students start university at 18 there are always a few who change degrees, finish their studies and decide to start something new, did vocational training and then go for the university degree...It's not a big part of the student body but there are always some older students in every year.

Leonor will be used to being the youngest when she reaches university, and there she will be older than her peers.

In Spain, children are enrolled in school by year of birth, so having been born in October, she has always been one of the youngest in her class. In Wales this difference is greater, because students come from all over the world, from different educational systems and the schooling age is different, there are also cases of scholarship holders who try several times before being able to enter, and in her course there are people who already has reached the age of 19 or 20.

Since the Military Academy also offers a bachelor's degree course, can't Leonor transfer some credits earned at the Military Academy to her civilian degree at the university and skip many classes? That way she wouldn't start out with the freshmen, but probably take second-year classes instead.

I guess it depends on which degree she intends to take. The military degree seems to be focused on engineering with lots of courses on mathematics and physics (the easier way to get her Bachelor's degree would probably be to do a fourth year focused on finishing her degree). So, if she would want to do a social science or humanities Bachelor (which seems more likely - as that is more common and useful for future monarchs), very few of her courses would be part of/relevant to her degree.

I believe one of the news releases about Leonor's future plans mentioned that she will get a law degree, just like her father.

Not that we can ever know, but I wonder if the plan to replicate her father's exact education is because Felipe thought it was successful; because Felipe feels they should establish tradition; or because there is pressure to make sure the woman heir is prepared exactly like her father.

It does appear that Leonor has the strictest and most formal educational plans of the future European heirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom