The Princess of Asturias and The Infanta Sofía's News Thread, Part 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe one of the news releases about Leonor's future plans mentioned that she will get a law degree, just like her father.

Not that we can ever know, but I wonder if the plan to replicate her father's exact education is because Felipe thought it was successful; because Felipe feels they should establish tradition; or because there is pressure to make sure the woman heir is prepared exactly like her father.

It does appear that Leonor has the strictest and most formal educational plans of the future European heirs.
I don't think it was announced that she'll study law in University. She might have the strictest and most formal educational plans, but she was the one who chose the UWC, right? Her father didn't study there, and she was the one to choose for herself that path. Maybe she'll also choose a different path of her father's after those 3 years of military education.

A Law degree will help her with public speaking skills even if never gets to train in a courtroom. And if she gets skilled in international law imagine if she ended up elected president of the European Union while Dad Felipe is in Spain.

Ok, that's a stretch but it could happen. Her cousin Otto Von Habsburg, head of the Austrian Imperial House, was elected Member of the European Parliament in 1979. Regardless, Princess Leonor will be one of the most educated and well-prepared female crown royals in European history since Queen Elizabeth I of England.

Last edited:
Article about Felipe and Letizia and the empty nest syndrome when Leonor and Sofia leave for school abroad:

(If page defaults to Spanish, just right click over it and select Translate)

The Kings and the empty nest syndrome: how to face the departure of Leonor and Sofia according to experts

"Empty nest syndrome refers to those emotional and physical symptoms that appear after children leave the family home. In general, it can be described as a feeling of sadness and loneliness, but there are times when these symptoms go far beyond a passing stage of discouragement...this syndrome can affect any parent, regardless of sex, employment, economic situation or interests."

Last edited:
A Law degree will help her with public speaking skills even if never gets to train in a courtroom. And if she gets skilled in international law imagine if she ended up elected president of the European Union while Dad Felipe is in Spain.

Ok, that's a stretch but it could happen. Her cousin Otto Von Habsburg, head of the Austrian Imperial House, was elected Member of the European Parliament in 1979. Regardless, Princess Leonor will be one of the most educated and well-prepared female crown royals in European history since Queen Elizabeth I of England.

May I introduce to you Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, who was Queen Regant between 1983-2013. She holds a LLB, having graduated in 1961.

The current crop of Crown Princesses are becoming well-educated and well-prepared. Not just Leonor.

And I doubt the heir of a current reigning monarch in the EU will be president or even member elect of the EU Parliament.....

Last edited:
May I introduce to you Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, who was Queen Regant between 1983-2013. She holds a LLB, having graduated in 1961.

The current crop of Crown Princesses are becoming well-educated and well-prepared. Not just Leonor.

And I doubt the heir of a current reigning monarch in the EU will be president or even member elect of the EU Parliament.....

There is no "President of the European Union" by the way. The closest to that would be the President of the European Council (currently Charles Michel), who is not elected, but rather appointed by a double majority in the European Union Council, which is composed of the heads of state or government of the EU member states. As of today, the position of President of the European Council is also largely ceremonial with real executive power actually lying instead with the President of the European Commission, who is also nominated by the European Council, but at least has to be formally elected by the Parliament, which is normally a rubber-stamping procedure though.

Recent attempts to have the different political groups in the European Parliament put forward "candidates" for President of the European Commission in the European Parliament elections failed as the proposed candidate of the winning group was ignored by the European Council, who nominated someone else for the office (currently, Ursula von der Leyen), albeit theoretically affiliated with the largest political group in the Parliament.

Last edited:
I don't think it was announced that she'll study law in University. She might have the strictest and most formal educational plans, but she was the one who chose the UWC, right? Her father didn't study there, and she was the one to choose for herself that path. Maybe she'll also choose a different path of her father's after those 3 years of military education.

While Felipe went to Lakefield College School in Canada, it has common ground with UWC, both are based on the educational concept of Kurt Hahn.
So my guess is that Leonor had a pick out of suitable colleges that are related to Kurt Hahn, whose schools have been frequented by royals like Philip, Sofia of Spain etc., Felipe and Letizia are patrons of the Foundation.
When looking at the options, there were maybe four or five (location wise) that were suitable for Leonor, therefore Wales was another choice that didn't leave much room for critizism.

Today, April 29th, is the Infanta Sofia's 16th birthday. Has the Casa de S.M. El Rey released any new official photos to mark the occasion?

¡Feliz Cumpleaños Infanta Sofia!

Today, April 29th, is the Infanta Sofia's 16th birthday. Has the Casa de S.M. El Rey released any new official photos to mark the occasion?

The Spanish Royal House has not released any new official photos.

Has there been any news coverage in Spain about Sofia being mobbed in her school as she seems to play football and prefer the company of boys over the girls there, that resulted in homophobic slurs from classmates. It just picked up a very short news about this in some international media. Generally reading a bit about the princesses of Spain they must grow up in a very restrained and stiff court, wasnt aware the Spanish Crown is still so traditional.

The Princess of Asturias already has a day and time for admission to the Military Academy of Zaragoza. It will be on August 17, before 10:00 a.m., when the heir to the throne will have to make her presentation, according to a provision of the Ministry of Defense published this Tuesday in the Official State Gazette (BOE).

The BOE has published a provision of the Ministry of Defense in which the day and time of admission of the students is stated.
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...acion-17-agosto-academia-militar-de-zaragoza/

Today, April 29th, is the Infanta Sofia's 16th birthday. Has the Casa de S.M. El R
ey released any new official photos to mark the occasion?

Casa de S.M. El Rey are quite poor with Social Media and are about 20 years behind the times.

Casa de S.M. El Rey are quite poor with Social Media and are about 20 years behind the times.

I agree that they are behind the times in terms of social media, but, in this case, it is possible that they simply do not believe that a birthday merits a photo release.

I don't think so, because they're even quick to post photos and videos on their website and Twitter. An Instagram page is missing.

Some time ago I got in touch with the royal house by email, to find out if they were going to have an Instagram page, and they informed me that the matter was at an advanced stage.

I don't think so, because they're even quick to post photos and videos on their website and Twitter. An Instagram page is missing.

Some time ago I got in touch with the royal house by email, to find out if they were going to have an Instagram page, and they informed me that the matter was at an advanced stage.
In terms of new official photos they lag well behind most other European Royal House.

Will there be a graduation in Wales this weekend?

Will there be a graduation in Wales this weekend?

Yes, that information is correct. Saturday will be graduation and the last day at school. Families are invited to the ceremony, and some have speculated that the Royal House could distribute photos, but nothing is yet official because it is a private event.

In previous years, the school broadcast the ceremony on YouTube for family members who could not attend, but it is unknown if this year they will do the same or opt for a more discreet broadcast system, only for families.

In previous years, the school broadcast the ceremony on YouTube for family members who could not attend, but it is unknown if this year they will do the same or opt for a more discreet broadcast system, only for families.

That makes perfect sense as it is a private Event.
The online streaming of Graduation Ceremonies was more prevalent during Covid Restriction times but things have settled down now.

In Ireland University and College Graduation Ceremonies mainly take place in the Autumn in late October or Early November. The Academic Year runs September to May with the Summer Exams taking place in May and repeats in August.

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense as it is a private Event.
The online streaming of Graduation Ceremonies was more prevalent during Covid Restriction times but things have settled down now.

Probably, the broadcast is also related to the fact that there are many students from around the world, and many of them have scholarships. There are probably cases of families who cannot afford the trip.

I believe that the Royal House will release some graduation photos. They know people are interested in seeing some photos. When Leonor went to Wales they also released pictures.

Since Princess Alexia is also graduating (?), is there any chance that both the Spanish and the Dutch royal couples will be present?

Are they both Graduating on the same day?

It would be nice if a couple of photos were released. I know that they have the school bags on flag poles in the Netherlands and we got photos of Amalia doing that. Are there any Spanish traditions for the end of your schooling? In the UK, its a picture from their 1st day and last day on Facebook:)

Are they both Graduating on the same day?

Yes.
And I agree with Blog Real. We got pictures when Leonor left for Wales and arrived there, therefore it makes sense that we will get pictures when she graduates.
The fact that the heiress to the Spanish throne graduates is kind of public information I guess, its not entirely private.

The Princess of Asturias must be sworn in before the chambers of Congress and Senate, and in the pre-electoral period they do not meet, only a Permanent Commission that has limited powers meets. If the Government decides to complete the legislature up to the limit allowed by law, on Leonor's 18th birthday they would be in that situation.

Sanchez just called a snap general election for July 23, I guess this has an impact on Leonor being sworn in?
Unclear if there is a goverment in place on October 31.
https://www.politico.eu/article/spa...-after-disastrous-results-in-local-elections/

:previous:
With the decision of Pedro Sánchez, Prime Minister of Spain, to call early elections, it is hoped that on October 31, when the Princess of Asturias turns 18, the Oath of the Constitution ceremony can be held.

It is very likely that by then Spain will already have a new government.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...rincesa-adelanto-elecciones-despejan_3655024/

That is ofcourse if the next Government has a clear majority,its not always clean cut as your forecast and in the past the king has spent months of wrangling with Government Formations.

:previous:
With the decision of Pedro Sánchez, Prime Minister of Spain, to call early elections, it is hoped that on October 31, when the Princess of Asturias turns 18, the Oath of the Constitution ceremony can be held.

It is very likely that by then Spain will already have a new government.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...rincesa-adelanto-elecciones-despejan_3655024/

The People's Party are leadin' the polls, that's clear that Alberto Nuñez Feijóo will be Sanchez' successor as President of the Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom