The Prince and Princess of Asturias at Tennis Competitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Felipe must be happy now since Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal won Roland Garros for the third time. It's nice that everytime Nadal won there were some member of the Spanish Royal Family watching the match.

Some pictures of Felipe you can find in Getty Images (search 'Roland Garros').

After the match, Nadal climbed onto the stands to get a hug from his entourage. On his way back, he shook hands with Felipe, a very nice gesture.

Nadal would be a worthy candidate for the Prince of Asturias Awards, as Alonso. Does anyone know if he as already been taken into account for this price as he's one of the most successful sports people in Spain.

Duke of Marmalade said:
After the match, Nadal climbed onto the stands to get a hug from his entourage. On his way back, he shook hands with Felipe, a very nice gesture.

Yep, I was watching it live here in the U.S. There I was watching and all of a sudden I saw Felipe in the picture. I felt so proud to be able to pick out Felipe like that and tell others that I was with that he is the Prince of Asturia. A couple years ago before I knew much about royalty, Felipe would have just been some guy that Nadal shook hands with and I wouldn't have known who he was.:flowers:

Duke of Marmalade said:
And I thought it was a very nice gesture as well that Felipe not only shook Nadal's hand but also facilitated an introduction between the Swiss president (Micheline Calmy-Rey), who was seated beside him, and the 3-time French Open champion. Sometimes in the height of all the excitement, many are inclined to forget the little details.

Duke of Marmalade said:
Nadal would be a worthy candidate for the Prince of Asturias Awards, as Alonso. Does anyone know if he as already been taken into account for this price as he's one of the most successful sports people in Spain.
Nadal was a finalist for the POA awards for sports last year: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/501192-post64.html

A little bit OT for this tread... But, I'm going to venture a guess that the jury might steer away from Spaniards this year, unless 1 of their athletes/teams will again have an extraordinary accomplishment between now and the selection date -- e.g. case of basketball team last year. We've already seen Spanish awardees for 2 consecutive years (basketball team in 2006 and Fernando Alonso in 2005); so for an award that is striving to strengthen it's international prestige, jury might consider searching again beyond their borders. Nonetheless, I am pretty sure that Nadal will be awarded in the future; but for now, he has yet to grab the #1 spot in tennis from Roger Federer... what a fun rivalry! especially for an avid spectator ;)

Aurora810 said:
A couple years ago before I knew much about royalty, Felipe would have just been some guy that Nadal shook hands with and I wouldn't have known who he was.:flowers:
You would not have been alone Aurora ;) In the coverage I was watching, I'm pretty sure that the commentators did not know who he was too... because while Felipe was shaking Nadal's hand, they only said something along the lines of "Nadal goes on greeting people" no ID :D In their head, they must have been sure that he must be some important guy in Spain because he was sitting at the Presidential Box and camera kept on flashing his face when the Spanish national anthem was played. ;)

Last edited:
kartheina said:
You would not have been alone Aurora ;) In the coverage I was watching, I'm pretty sure that the commentators did not know who he was too... because while Felipe was shaking Nadal's hand, they only said something along the lines of "Nadal goes on greeting people" no ID :D In their head, they must have been sure that he must be some important guy in Spain because he was sitting at the Presidential Box and camera kept on flashing his face when the Spanish national anthem was played. ;)

Although I can imagine the average person not spanish and not a big fan of royalty wouldn't know who he is, I think reporters should have a clue as to who he is. If I were commenting on the game and I saw every photographer take his picture during the national anthem of Spain, I would try and do everything possible to find out who he is. If only to inform other people watching the game at home of who this person is. This does strike me for a commentator as 'beetje dom' :lol:

kartheina said:
And I thought it was a very nice gesture as well that Felipe not only shook Nadal's hand but also facilitated an introduction between the Swiss president (Micheline Calmy-Rey), who was seated beside him, and the 3-time French Open champion. Sometimes in the height of all the excitement, many are inclined to forget the little details.

Nadal was a finalist for the POA awards for sports last year: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/501192-post64.html

A little bit OT for this tread... But, I'm going to venture a guess that the jury might steer away from Spaniards this year, unless 1 of their athletes/teams will again have an extraordinary accomplishment between now and the selection date -- e.g. case of basketball team last year. We've already seen Spanish awardees for 2 consecutive years (basketball team in 2006 and Fernando Alonso in 2005); so for an award that is striving to strengthen it's international prestige, jury might consider searching again beyond their borders. Nonetheless, I am pretty sure that Nadal will be awarded in the future; but for now, he has yet to grab the #1 spot in tennis from Roger Federer... what a fun rivalry! especially for an avid spectator ;)

Thanks Kartheina, yes, you are right. Nadal is a great sportsman but still room to improve. Maybe when he has done the Grand Slam or has won at Roland Garros five times or more ... Sportspeople are always great for these awards as they are very popular and bring media attention. People from other fields might have made as valuable achievements but they are not so much recognized in public. From that perspective it's a good thing that the PoAA honours people from different backgrounds.

kartheina said:

A little off topic: Are you talking about Gustavo Kuerten, who handed the trophy to Nadal last Sunday? I didn't watch the match, unfortunatelly, but I saw this moment on tv and also Knew that Felipe watched the match and it were nice if Felipe talked to Guga :).

cristine said:
A little off topic: Are you talking about Gustavo Kuerten, who handed the trophy to Nadal last Sunday? I didn't watch the match, unfortunatelly, but I saw this moment on tv and also Knew that Felipe watched the match and it were nice if Felipe talked to Guga :).

Sorry... I meant Nadal. But, thanks for reminding me, I actually forgot that Kuerten was also a 3-time French Open champ :wacko: I did not see Felipe taking to him because I believe Guga was seated somewhere else to make it easier for him to get to the court for the presentation. But, who knows, the 2 might have talked without the cameras around. ;)

Last edited:
:previous: I'll be looking them up at the Royal Box when I watch tomorrow, if that's the case. ;)

I think the Royal Box is for all royalty and invited guests.

Stellad

Hey I'm sorry to be the annoying person who asks this, but would someone be able to give us the gist of this article in English please???
I figure its about the tennis, but haven't had much luck with internet translators

Hey I'm sorry to be the annoying person who asks this, but would someone be able to give us the gist of this article in English please???
I figure its about the tennis, but haven't had much luck with internet translators

It's just mentioning that the princes will be there today and that it was their own initiative to support Nadal. And it also says that the press is looking forward for their presence since they showed themselves so enthusiastic in Viena cheering for the Spanish soccer team.

Crown Prince Felipe and his wife Princess Letizia in the Royal Box on Centre Court for the men's singles final between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer for the Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis Club, in London

ANP Beeldbank

Felipe and Letizia have been chatting lots during the final so far clearly enjoying discussing about the final. The BBC have shown very little of whos in the Royal Box which is a shame

What a thriller. Nadal 2 sets up, then rain break, Federer wins the next two sets by tiebreak, then another rain break in the decisive 5th set. I wonder if we will see a champion today as sunlight is fading. Each of them deserves to win, they are both exceptional. It's the game of the year, no doubt about that.

I thought I just saw Felipe on the tv screen, so I came to the board to check.
This is a GREAT tennis match. I'm rooting for Nadal.

Well, Nadal won. The princes must be very happy now. It was a great match, and Roger Federer is an absolutely great player, too. Just saw a glimpse of Felipe and Letizia on the TV.

yes!! they must be so happy!!!! sport is good for spain!!!lol

Both Nadal and Federer are also gentlemen, they are also great people, not just great athletes. It was nice that Nadal said thanks to the princes for coming to see he playing at the final. And it was great to see Nadal going to the royal box to thank the princes.

Last edited:
When Nadal won her went to his player box and then along to the Royal box to Felipe and Letizia (thats the reason they were sitting at the end of the front row!!)
He also thanked them in his speech at the end - thank the Pricne and Princess for coming to watch me today

Back
Top Bottom