Which Country Could Next Abolish Their Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

In your opinion, which European country is more likely to become a republic?

• Belgium

Votes: 82 19.9%
  • Denmark

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Great Britain

Votes: 42 10.2%
  • Liechtenstein

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Luxembourg

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Monaco

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • The Netherlands

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Norway

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Spain

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 30 7.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Norwegians have horrible PR. They take the Royal HIGHNESS part really seriously. They do many things that ordinary people cant do and that gives them really bad press. I like the members of the family a lot and Hakoon and M-M are some of my favourites but they dont gather attention. Its hard to see how they contribute to the nation and they have reduced the "royal" part of the monarchy to a point where it seems like a hereditary republic. Theres just not much there that makes there monarchy so much fun and unique.

Princejohnny25 said:
The Norwegians have horrible PR. They take the Royal HIGHNESS part really seriously. They do many things that ordinary people cant do and that gives them really bad press.
you serious?!? tell us more tell us more! See, since I happen to be Dutch, I happen to know, as do and should all Dutch folks, a lot about the flaws of the members of the family that's currently wearing the tiara's in the Netherlands (i.e. Maxima's morally bankrupt dad and a mom who wrote an open letter of support to mass murderer general Videla as recently as the late eighties--one wonders what kinds of values they managed to instill in their kid? ~shudder~. When speaking about corruption, Alexander surely picked the right in-laws: his own granddad Bernhard turned to bribaries for the arms trade because he needed the dough for his out-of-wedlock daughters and mistresses! etc. etc.)

But when it comes to some other royal families--the Norwegian for instance--I know next to nothing, so I tend to like them more! harald seems an ok guy who's not stuck up. Am I dead wrong about this? Sonja seems nice enough, and the opposite of arrogant. Haakon and MM: ok people, seemingly. All right, there's Martha Louise, for some reason she annoys me with her milking her royal status to fatten her bank account by writing two sentences and publishing them as a 'children's book', ugh. seems unclassy. But anyways, overall, this royal family if anything seems quite the ticket. What do I not know that you folks do??:confused:

Princejohnny25 said:
Theres just not much there that makes there monarchy so much fun and unique.
hmm one could say that about a lot of other royal families, non? ;)

Last edited:
As a Norwegian I'm a bit conflicted. Yes, the latest poll has shown that teens don't find the monarchy interesting - but, these boards aside, how many teens do?

Considering that Haakon is one of the ones in the family with a fairly high approval rating, along with his father, - I don't see the monarchy disappearing in the first generation. I think that many Norwegians are much like myself, we know what we have - we don't know what we'll get.

Also, the royal family isn't as unpopular in Norway as I've seen it portrayed in this thread. There have been incidents, but haven't there been so in every royal family?

The republican sentiment in Norway isn't high, despite the incidents, of which there haven't been so many that someone would think of changing the form of governments just because of that.

Harald is our king, and he really proved himself to be that when he appeared in hurricane-destroyed parts of the country in 1992, way before any national politician did. (The Prime Minister's office, by the way, sent a reprimand, as they felt he was stepping over his line...) People had his doubts about Harald before then, as he hadn't been leading the people WWII as his father and grandfather, and it was felt that he had been living in his father's shadow, but that cemented a good reputation.

Should Ingrid Alexandra not want to take on the role when it is her turn, or get too political, or involved in scandals, I think we might be talking about some change, though. But as the current situation is, I doubt it will happen in the immediate future.

Last edited:
Princejohnny25 said:
Well since we are talking about monarchies changing in the future I though we should post articles that talk about it. I found an intresting one about Belgium but I dont know if its to reliable.

I personally don't think there will be much changes in Belgium. This kind of talk pops up from time to time in the Netherlands too: Will W-A have the same amount of power as his mother has? Is he suitable for being a King? European politicians love to talk and finally nothing changes (at least the Dutch do, they talk and talk and talk. I sometimes think they love to hear themselves talk... all they want is more power, without a nasty King or Queen in the way who can say: 'No, I won't sign it!', a thing which happens rarely, by the way.) Personally I don't think Belgium will break up or will seperate in a Dutch speaking part and a French speaking part due to economic differences. They have been one country for over 175 years now. If they had any intention of breaking up, they would have done it years ago.

I voted for Norway for all the reasons listed already and because I think the Royal Family's downsizing, such as not granting Sverre Magnus a "HRH" or "HH" title, will speed up the process of a republic being established in Norway. I mean it's not that I don't believe that the Royal Family isn't performing its duties properly, it's just that Norway certainly can't be defined as a nation of monarchists. But hopefully the people of Norway cut Ingrid Alexandra (and Haakon before her) some slack and let them carry on the monarchy.

I could also see Spain becoming a republic, but I think the threat looms much closer in Norway.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sweden doesn't become a republic in the next fifty years, since the King has like no role in the Swedish government. However, I am sure that if the Swedish people give her a chance, she will make an excellent Queen.

hmm thats all very interesting. Whats with non-european countries?

lilytornado said:
hmm thats all very interesting. Whats with non-european countries?

That's a good idea for a poll ;)

Maxie said:
Personally I don't think Belgium will break up or will seperate in a Dutch speaking part and a French speaking part due to economic differences. They have been one country for over 175 years now. If they had any intention of breaking up, they would have done it years ago.

agreed! Wallonia is to poor to survive on its own and Flanders will lose Brussels if they split up, which will never be acceptable for them either. So they have no other choise then stick together. Apart from that, most belgians do not want to split up anyway :).

norwegianne said:
As a Norwegian I'm a bit conflicted. Yes, the latest poll has shown that teens don't find the monarchy interesting - but, these boards aside, how many teens do?

I remember a poll in Sweden some time ago, maybe a year or two, where the young people showed a very strong support for the monarchy (supriceingly) I think that the number was about 80%, wich is very good. This is to me a very positive thing and i hope that the monarchy will keep such a good portion of supporter for the future, and i think that Victoria will be a very good and popular queen. (and maybe for the sake of the monarchy the king should step down in some time, and not stay until death. I think Victoria will have a better chance to keep the monarchy alive then the king, to many "frogs" coming out of his mouth.;)

before i start i dont mean to offend anyone, but i cant see the british monarch being overthrowed cause its the only thing that keeps it people feeling british and what britishness means to them.

The Question is, how much do they really want to feel british. How long will being British be more importent then being scottish, english, and welsh. I dont think the british monarchy is in too much danger but it could change dramatically. The biggest worry spots are spain and norway.

Princejohnny25 said:
The Question is, how much do they really want to feel british. How long will being British be more importent then being scottish, english, and welsh. I dont think the british monarchy is in too much danger but it could change dramatically. The biggest worry spots are spain and norway.
quick q: when the Norwegian throne was inaugurated, does anyone know what the sentiment in Norway regarding this, was then? In other words: have Norwegians maybe never had a 'thing' for royalty?

No that is not the case, that is why the way the monarchy is in Norway right now hurts me. The PEOPLE choose the monarchy. They could have had a republic but they choose the monarchy. They were supposed to be an importent part of the new and free norway but that have lost that position.

Britain is in a real mess at the moment but we'd never get rid of the monarchy. For one thing, it'd cost too much. People don't like the idea of a President Blair or President Brown and so I think we're fairly safe. I think Norway and Spain are quite safe. I should hope Spain is safe.

princess olga said:
quick q: when the Norwegian throne was inaugurated, does anyone know what the sentiment in Norway regarding this, was then? In other words: have Norwegians maybe never had a 'thing' for royalty?
There was actually a majority for a monarchy.

Out of the eligible voters, 259,563 voted for monarchy while 69,264 voted for a republic.

1905-2005 project

BeatrixFan said:
For one thing, it'd cost too much. People don't like the idea of a President Blair or President Brown and so I think we're fairly safe.
Sounds about right to describe the situation in a lot of the countries.

Princejohnny25 said:
No that is not the case, that is why the way the monarchy is in Norway right now hurts me. The PEOPLE choose the monarchy. They could have had a republic but they choose the monarchy. They were supposed to be an importent part of the new and free norway but that have lost that position.
thanks princejohnny25 for your answer. but why do you think they lost that position: is it something that happened during the current king's reign? did it start earlier? is it something that has more to do with the Norwegian society evolving, as opposed to the behavior, say, of the king or his family?

norwegianne said:
There was actually a majority for a monarchy.

Out of the eligible voters, 259,563 voted for monarchy while 69,264 voted for a republic.

1905-2005 project
amazing that the 'john doe's' of the country, or the common man, actually had a say in this at the time. very democratic. When the Dutch monarchy was (re)instated in the early 1800's, the 'man on the street' was certainly not asked his/her opinion on that, it was shoved down his throat so to speak

princess olga said:
amazing that the 'john doe's' of the country, or the common man, actually had a say in this at the time. very democratic. When the Dutch monarchy was (re)instated in the early 1800's, the 'man on the street' was certainly not asked his/her opinion on that, it was shoved down his throat so to speak

but this shoving gave us a nice hobby, now didn't it? I think the norwegian monarchy was one of the few where people could actually vote for, maybe together with the return of the Greek RF in the thirties.

princess olga said:
It was actually deemed unnecessary by the parliament, until King Haakon asked for a referendum before he accepted.

From what I've read it seems Norway is the hot favourite, which surprised me but I'm not very clued up with Norway and had thought the monarchy safe like the other Scandanavian Royals.
Spain seems to be a potential becuase of their politics, but it would be a shame as the Spanish Royals seem incredibly lovely people and have done so much for their country.
As for Britain, I think our Monarchy is quite safe, but only because people are too apathetic to care one way or the other.

I Really hope the Danish Royal Family can survive the current problems in Denmark

Royal Fan said:
I Really hope the Danish Royal Family can survive the current problems in Denmark

What problems?

If you are referring to the "Islam issue" that has nothing to do with the royal family, so I see no problems there.

rop81 said:
If you are referring to the "Islam issue" that has nothing to do with the royal family, so I see no problems there.
Correct: this is not a 'Danish' problem either, but rather an unfortunate example of the conflict between global ideologies.

I doubt Great Britian would go any time soon. It's would just be to complicated. And if Great Britian decides they don't want the Windsors they have 15 other countires to choose from.

Up until a few days ago I would have thought Belgium was among the most secure along with Liechtenstein, Monaco and Luxembourg. But I think there is always rough patches that they always get through.

but I know that England, The Netherlands, and Denmark certainly don't have anything to worry about.

Interesting that you posted the three countries with Queens. Could it be that female are more popular. If that is the case it looks good two generations from now.

Spain I think will be secure once Prince Felipe has the chance to prove himself. From what it seems the next group of Crown Princes from the other countries (Crown Princes Haakon, Willem Alexander, Frederick, and Crown Princess Victoria) all seem popular.

Anyways I ended up not voting I don't think things are going to change anytime soon.

Marengo said:
but this shoving gave us a nice hobby, now didn't it?
LOL, soo very true! I cannot imagine becoming a member of a forum dedicated to the likes of Jan Peter Balkenende, Angela Merkel, etc.

lol me either Europe Keep your Kings and Queens PLEASE lol

Norway is still leading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom