The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think William and Catherine are not getting good guidance. Catherine at the piano was wrong. It was off-putting. They need better people guiding them.

I'm still in two minds about it, on one hand it showed the highest level support for Ukraine and that this was very much about Ukraine and Liverpool together. On the other, you could argue it stole the show. I think it might have worked better if more people were involved in it, to me it didn't feel that many other famous faces took part probs because of needing talented people (singers, pianists etc).

I hope they are growing their staff now their are the Wales', they might not need as big a household as Charles but certainly they can pick and choose some great staff for exciting roles to help them.

Oof! That's quite a lot of rewards, isn't it? I guess retiring as a Private Secretary is a much better deal than retiring as a Dresser ? Or would Sir Edward rather have received a house?

It’s long standard practise to appoint retiring private secretaries to the Sovereign as GCB and GCVO… QE2 did it with all of hers as far as i know (like Lord Geidt, Lord Janvrin, Lord Fellowes, Lord Heseltine etc)

They are after all the operational Second in Command at the Court, after the Monarch himself/herself.

Last edited:
Technically on paper the Lord Chamberlain is the most senior official in the Royal Household and outranks the Private Secretary

Interesting if true - we'll find out soon enough. The Queen may have gotten rid of Ladies in Waiting but seemingly the Princess Royal could be about to appoint a new bunch to help her

https://archive.ph/LOAmv

Zara Tindall’s best friend to be appointed as lady in waiting to the Princess Royal

NHS midwife Dolly Maude, who delivered Tindall child on bathroom floor, previously wore joky ‘lady in waiting’ badge on day at the races.

The Telegraph understands that Buckingham Palace will announce the appointment in the Court Circular on Feb 1, when Mrs Maude will be revealed as one of four newly appointed ladies in waiting to the King’s sister, to replace others who have retired.

The Lord Chamberlain, Baron Parker (who is a former Head of MI5 - the Security Service) is to step down this year. He took up the post in 2021.

It is apparently custom, to allow the new sovereign to appoint their own Lord Chamberlain who is, in theory, the most senior appointment within the Royal Household (in practice the role is part time).

Article from the Telegraph https://archive.ph/jDL7g
Article from the Mirror https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals/king-charles-most-senior-official-31884235

As reported earlier in the telegraph, Princess Anne has appointed several new LAdies in Waiting upon the reitrement of some of her long serving ones.

She has also appointed a new Private Secretary.

Dolly Maude is Zara's best friend, Mrs Simon Rhodes is the daughter in law of the late Margaret Rhodes (the late Queen's cousin), Lady Leeming was a 1st cousin of the late Queen. Mrs Rhodes and Lady Leeming were all appointed as Ladies in Waiting to the late Queen in 2017.

Appendix To Court Circular
The Princess Royal has been pleased to make the following appointments as Extra Ladies in Waiting to Her Royal Highness: Lady McFarlane, the Lady Elizabeth Leeming, Mrs. John Armstrong, Mrs. Dolly Maude and Mrs. Simon Rhodes upon the retirement of the following Ladies in Waiting: Lady Carew Pole, the Hon. Dame Shân Legge-Bourke, Dame Rowena Feilden and Mrs. Brian Hammond.

Colonel John Boyd to be appointed Private Secretary to The Princess Royal upon Mr. Charles Davies relinquishing his appointment.

The appointments to date from 1st February, 2024.

Nice. So, the princess royal is taking on two of her mother's previous ladies-in-waiting.

It is interesting that in the announcement an exception is made for Dolly in that her first name is used and not her husband's first name - which would have made her Mrs. Chris Maude (like Mrs. John Armstrong and Mrs. Simon Rhodes; who surely also have a first name of their own).

^^And Zara is usually listed as Mrs Michael Tindall.

I wonder if they were asked in advance how they wanted it to be styled in the announcement maybe?

What media seems to be missing is that the temporary equerries are usually rotated every 3:rd year… Johnny has been Charles equerry since 2020, and was most likely scheduled to leave that position last year but got an extention… Now he has obviously got a new job within the royal household instead so he is clearly well liked…

What media seems to be missing is that the temporary equerries are usually rotated every 3:rd year… Johnny has been Charles equerry since 2020, and was most likely scheduled to leave that position last year but got an extention… Now he has obviously got a new job within the royal household instead so he is clearly well liked…
Its reported that he is very well liked in the RF and he also has a new girlfriend!

Back
Top Bottom