The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.royal.uk/duke-cambridge...and-volunteers-their-work-throughout-pandemic

Since the start of the year, The Duke has spoken to more than 300 staff and volunteers spanning the breadth of the NHS’s workforce, from all corners of the UK, via a series of one-to-one phone calls and participation in regional meetings via video calls. The Duke wanted to check in on the wellbeing of all those supporting the NHS at this time, and to thank them for the vital part they are playing in the UK’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Through 62 calls to individuals, he has spoken to frontline workers in hospitals, GP surgeries and pharmacies; staff and volunteers involved in administering the COVID-19 vaccine; and those working in non-clinical roles, including portering and domestic services. He has also joined five regional meetings with CEOs and directors from NHS Trusts via video call to understand more about some of the local challenges their organisations have faced.

As someone that has actively worked in the field where a split second decision means the difference between life and death, William getting so involved with and caring so much about what the NHS frontline workers are going through with this pandemic doesn't surprise me one bit. I'd be willing to bet my last chocolate Easter bunny that this is what William would be doing even if he wasn't in any way involved with the BRF and it's "Firm".

To be a frontline worker in any stage of emergency medicine and pandemic response, it takes a certain degree of compassion, dedication and the ability to put others before oneself. William, I believe, has this in abundance. ?

Wow, surprised to see William in on this 'political' fight. I assume he is saying this also as president of the FA that most likely isn't happy at all either.

Wow, surprised to see William in on this 'political' fight. I assume he is saying this also as president of the FA that most likely isn't happy at all either.

How can football (in this case, this abomination and disgusting Super League) be political?

I understand if the topic of climate change or BLM can be dragged to political stage because it sort of connected to government policies (as the cause and/or affecting), but football?

On a side note, man, this so call "big six" is such an embarassment!!

I do not follow nor have a good understanding of football, so I may not contribute much :cool: :lol:

What I do know is that both the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader have opposed the European Super League. There were actually debates in both House of Commons (19th April) and House of Lords (20th April) on the topic of football. Just by quickly glancing through the Hansard (transcript), there seems to be cross-party opposition towards this new European league.

Boris Johnson's tweet in two parts:
Sir Keir Starmer's tweet in five parts:
Hansard for the House of Commons on European Football Proposal (Volume 692: debated on Monday 19 April 2021), including Cultural Secretary's (Oliver Dowden) statement at the beginning: https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...58-BE91-B43DDFDE6EB6/EuropeanFootballProposal

Hansard for the House of Lords on Football: European Super League (Volume 811: debated on Tuesday 20 April 2021): https://hansard.parliament.uk/lords...8D69-5AC7C53562D3/FootballEuropeanSuperLeague

A snap YouGov poll (conducted with British adults) has found that football fans overwhelmingly reject European Super League

Snap poll: football fans overwhelmingly reject European Super League
The fury of football fans is on full display in YouGov’s latest snap poll
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/sport/a...te_article&utm_campaign=european_super_league

The Duke of Cambridge isn't really the only one who oppose the new breakaway European football league.

Edited: I have added the link to the Hansard for the House of Lords' debate, which has been published since the last time I made this post.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised as it's been the dominating news story of the day and everyone is up in arms about it. I'm not sure it will make any difference though.

The president of Germany's football organization has been eloquent and gainst the idea as well on IG. The FC Bayern and Borussia Dortmund have already announced they won't be a part.

CC 20 April 2021:

The Duke of Cambridge, President, the Football Association, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mr Mark Bullingham (Chief Executive) via telephone.

In another news: The Super League now appears to have collapsed just 48 hours after it was announced with the withdrawal of the so called "big six" with City became the first to quit.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/european-super-league-live-news-23938070

CC 20 April 2021:

The Duke of Cambridge, President, the Football Association, this afternoon held a Meeting with Mr Mark Bullingham (Chief Executive) via telephone.

In another news: The Super League now appears to have collapsed just 48 hours after it was announced with the withdrawal of the so called "big six" with City became the first to quit.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/european-super-league-live-news-23938070

Good to see people power prevailed. Players and fans united in destroying this abomination! I am so happy to see Prince William voiced his clear opinion and didn't stay quiet.

Good to see people power prevailed. Players and fans united in destroying this abomination! I am so happy to see Prince William voiced his clear opinion and didn't stay quiet.

Indeed! A well timed public intervention, of the type rarely seen.

I've rarely known United, City and Liverpool fans so united before. This whole thing was a disgrace, and fans, players and managers were neither consulted or considered. I hope to see the Spanish and Italian clubs also pull out before the end of today, and well done to Prince William for speaking out.

It seems that the only ones who wanted the super league was the owners for obvious reasons.

I don't blame William for personally saying something, both in his role as President of the FA and a passionate football fan (and supporter of a non ESL team).

It's a controversy that touches on politics (and definitely money!) but isn't at all partisan politics.

Personally I hope it goes *completely* belly up today.

The Duke of Cambridge has released a message via the Kensington Royal twitter account in joining the football community to boycott social media
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge @KensingtonRoyal
As President of the FA I join the entire football community in the social media boycott this weekend. W
11:45 PM · Apr 30, 2021·Twitter for iPhone​

Last edited:
Why is there a boycot this weekend?

Why is there a boycot this weekend?

From reading this BBC sport article, clubs, players and fans (not just football) are boycotting social media in tackling abuse and discrimination in online platform. The aim is to encourage these big tech companies to have a stronger stance in against racist and sexist abuse by users.

Social media boycott: Football clubs, players & sporting bodies begin protest
Football clubs, players, athletes and a number of sporting bodies have begun a four-day boycott of social media in an attempt to tackle abuse and discrimination on their platforms.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/56936797

Not just UK and Irish Football, EUFA and FIFA are also reported of joining the boycott.

I've been following EPL since early 2000's and yes, English football fans were/are famous to be the craziest (particularly Liverpool fans comes to mind), but recently with social media existence, those past years seems like kitten play.

I'm Liverpool fan so I can say that I've never been a fan of Thierry Henry and Rio Ferdinand (esp Henry since he also played for France), but boy, reading through the comments (and yes, I am only aware after reading the news), I can't understand why they recieved those kind of abuse on SM. They're great players!! And seems like some of those trolls don't even watch football.

PS: royal watchers may not aware about this, but The Sun has been boycott in Liverpool for more than two decades because of football, the tabloid barely makes any sell there even after the grovelling and public apology.

Last edited:
Does this not dabble in politics a bit?

Does this mean there will be no new photo and post for Princess Charlotte's birthday?

Does this mean there will be no new photo and post for Princess Charlotte's birthday?

I believe that there will be a photo release on Monday for Charlotte's birthday.

As for the weekend ban, I don't see William's decision to participate as the FA president as a political action but as a social action.

Last edited:
Boycotting social media isn't a political issue in the UK at all. Racism and bullying are social issues and the BRF have always taken a stand on social issues. At the moment a lot of the bullying and racist attacks are happening on social media so a four day ban on the use of social media has been advocated for those who also oppose bullying and racism - across football supporters in Europe including England.

With it being a four day boycott I am not sure that there will be a new picture of Charlotte as the boycott is in place until Tuesday. They may release via some other means. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't a still from the video either, if one is released.

Maybe Clarence House will release a new picture of Princess Charlotte with a birthday message for her!

Boycotting social media isn't a political issue in the UK at all. Racism and bullying are social issues

Reminds me of the Oscars, nobody watches anymore - Social Justice is not a good show...

So, the Windsors here: What, if they will not be missed?

They could release a picture to the media for publication in the papers. That picture will soon find its way to social media of those who are not participating in the boycott.

That is one way to combine your job and your hobby.

It's amazing how the "ribbon cutting" somehow now becomes a personalized event for the royal doing it. William, though, seems to have a knack of making it personal in some way and that's the extra added attraction to whatever he's doing. ?

It's a bit of a grey area & certainly has that potential. So long as they don't become involved in the debate over the regulation/censorship of social media.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a grey area & certainly has that potential. So long as they don't become involved in the debate over the regulation/censorship of social media.

He explicitly stated that he did so as 'president of the FA'; so I assume this is the stance of the organization he represents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom