The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018 - September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really sure if I approve of William going to the pub as there's been a lot of controversy over the pubs re-opening. Perhaps I'm more weary of these things as someone who has been shielding for 4 months, but it doesn't seem to be a good thing to encourage. People will probably think "ah, well, William did it, so why can't we?" I would rather stay at home and miss out a trip than go to a pub and end up in ICU.

The Duke of Cambridge has popped to his local today ahead of the relaxation of rules tomorrow;

The pub has been doing takeaway drinks throughout lockdown, and William is social distancing in a garden of a pub-goer.

A video of the visit;

Thank you for sharing. From viewing the video, he started by using hand sanitizer and maintained a social distance with the employees while inside the building. Finally we see him distancing again outside in the garden. It seems that he's following/demonstrating the policy for reopening.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52977388

Guidance has been issued in both Northern Ireland and England on measures that pubs and restaurants must take to keep customers and staff safe.
They include:

• The option of ordering food on apps
  • Staff will be encouraged to wash their hands before handling plates and cutlery
  • Music should be kept at a low volume to avoid people needing to shout, which increases the risk of transmission
  • Pub-goers will be encouraged to book tables in advance
  • Live gigs and standing at the bar will not be allowed
  • Controlled access to toilets

Last edited:
Not really sure if I approve of William going to the pub as there's been a lot of controversy over the pubs re-opening. Perhaps I'm more weary of these things as someone who has been shielding for 4 months, but it doesn't seem to be a good thing to encourage. People will probably think "ah, well, William did it, so why can't we?" I would rather stay at home and miss out a trip than go to a pub and end up in ICU.
Our bars have shut down again in many states because of the spikes we are seeing. What I’ve found odd is seeing William & Kate on visits & no one is wearing masks. I realize different countries have different approaches, but where I live it’s masks for customers when at business establishments unless eating/drinking & employees always wear them, so it surprises me to see mask free people since it’s so different from here at the moment.

The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018

People will probably think "ah, well, William did it, so why can't we?" I would rather stay at home and miss out a trip than go to a pub and end up in ICU.

People should think that frankly, the hospitality industry along with the arts industry when it is allowed to reopen needs the massive influx of cash it hasn’t had in the last 4 months. William and Charles are IMO doing the right thing to normalise attendance at places like this when they reopen. All pubs and restaurants must be Covid safe to reopen and in the U.K. we’ve seen local lockdown measures go into action when spikes occur.

To me it’s confidence, if the future King is confident in the measure pubs are having to put in place than we all should be.

Last edited:
W&K (and other members of the Royal Family) have been visiting businesses and organisations throughout lockdown and before they re-open. At the end of the day its the government who decide when these places are allowed to reopen not William or the royals.

I'm sure William and the family have probably visited very local businesses like this personally in the past and it seems to be a genuine local independent pub rather than owned by a large chain so why shouldn't they have the support of a royal visit to help save their livelihood in just the same way the garden centre Kate visited did?

People should think that frankly, the hospitality industry along with the arts industry when it is allowed to reopen needs the massive influx of cash it hasn’t had in the last 4 months. William and Charles are IMO doing the right thing to normalise attendance at places like this when they reopen. All pubs and restaurants must be Covid safe to reopen and in the U.K. we’ve seen local lockdown measures go into action when spikes occur.

Sadly, no restaurant or pub can be truly "Covid safe" until there is mass vaccination against SARS-Cov-2 or at least 60 % of the population have been already exposed to the virus and developed herd immunity.

I understand that governments are reopening bars/pubs, restaurants and even theaters and cinemas earlier than when it would be truly safe to do so because, quite frankly, they cannot close those businesses for a year and not expect them to collapse. But we have to be reaiistic about it: if you go to a pub or the movies in the middle of what is still a pandemic situation, you are doing it at your own risk. Wearing masks and keeping a 2-meter distance mitigate the risk, but don't eliminate it.

Last edited:
Our bars have shut down again in many states because of the spikes we are seeing. What I’ve found odd is seeing William & Kate on visits & no one is wearing masks. I realize different countries have different approaches, but where I live it’s masks for customers when at business establishments unless eating/drinking & employees always wear them, so it surprises me to see mask free people since it’s so different from here at the moment.

My thinking is perhaps when we're seeing high profile people without masks on, its only at that particular time (picture taking, making speeches etc) that the mask comes off. I've noticed this with interviews on news channels. The mask is taken off for speeches and they're definitely social distancing with folks in the background with masks on. Perhaps its for people like me that lip read? Photo ops with just William and Catherine in it without masks probably has no one at close distance to them when the photo is taken. Couples that live together don't social distance.

Just an idea that popped in my head.

Sadly, no restaurant or pub can be truly "Covid safe" until there is mass vaccination against SARS-Cov-2 or at least 60 % of the population have been already exposed to the virus and developed herd immunity.

I understand that governments are reopening bars/pubs, restaurants and even theaters and cinemas earlier than when it would be truly safe to do so because, quite frankly, they cannot close those businesses for a year and not expect them to collapse. But we have to be reaiistic about it: if you go to a pub or the movies in the middle of what is still a pandemic situation, you are doing it at your own risk. Wearing masks and keeping a 2-meter distance mitigate the risk, but don't eliminate it.

Your comments just prove my point, we are now at the point in the U.K. where the risk of infection is lower than it was at the start of the year and we have significant measures in place to mitigate the risk even further. The impact on people’s livelihoods of not having these places open for them to go work and visit is now, potentially of greater concern than the virus itself.

Countries simply cannot wait to reopen until there’s a vaccine, it’s unfeasible.

It’s a persons choice to go out and do things, but the government says it’s okay to do so and the royal families appearance “out in the open” should encourage the reaffirmation of that advice.

I thought that the USA had never completely locked down....and as they are a huge economy, its not surprising that they are eager to re open for business as soon as possible...

I thought that the USA had never completely locked down....and as they are a huge economy, its not surprising that they are eager to re open for business as soon as possible...
True, the measures implemented, when they were implemented and if/when they lifted has depended very much on each individual state. Even in my state some, but not all, counties have had to close things like bars down again because numbers have shot up.

As there are more flights we are getting more and more Kiwi's returning home and those with permanent residence. They are all going straight into compulsory 14 day fully monitored quarantine which is not so bad as they are using hotels close to the airports. However being restricted to a very nice hotel room is still being stuck in a room as they don't allow the "inmates" from different flights to mix.

However, the government is now of looking into "user pays", if not the whole bill then half because it seems we will be dealing with this until a vaccine is found or it burns itself out which seems very unlikely.

Meanwhile we pray that better drugs can be found to treat the actual virus at various stages and even from what has been discovered the hard way, the way patients are being treated means in many cases it takes longer before they either start improving at go on to ventilators.

I do not fear the virus as it is not raging across my country but I tale precautions anyway. So to all my fellow forum members, stay safe. And to the US gang, Happy July 4th.

Countries simply cannot wait to reopen until there’s a vaccine, it’s unfeasible.

It’s a persons choice to go out and do things, but the government says it’s okay to do so and the royal families appearance “out in the open” should encourage the reaffirmation of that advice.

I completely agree. Businesses cannot stay shut for ever: they'll go bankrupt. A lot of jobs have already been lost. Towns which are heavily dependent on tourism are beginning to struggle. And kids need to go back to school in September: some of them have missed over a term's work. People can't go crowding into nightclubs etc, but, within reason, we need to move forward.

Pub landlords and landladies have been given 40-odd pages of instructions on safety. A lot of time and effort, not to mention money, has gone into making places as safe as possible. Everyone needs to do what's right for them, but I'm sure William is being sensible.

I completely agree. Businesses cannot stay shut for ever: they'll go bankrupt. A lot of jobs have already been lost. Towns which are heavily dependent on tourism are beginning to struggle. And kids need to go back to school in September: some of them have missed over a term's work. People can't go crowding into nightclubs etc, but, within reason, we need to move forward.

Pub landlords and landladies have been given 40-odd pages of instructions on safety. A lot of time and effort, not to mention money, has gone into making places as safe as possible. Everyone needs to do what's right for them, but I'm sure William is being sensible.

True, People who don't want to can stay home... but while I'm all for safety, we can't stay locked in forever and the economy is struggling desperately...I went to a cafe about a week ago... its open as a takeway but I hope that next week they will be able to open properly...

Your comments just prove my point, we are now at the point in the U.K. where the risk of infection is lower than it was at the start of the year and we have significant measures in place to mitigate the risk even further. The impact on people’s livelihoods of not having these places open for them to go work and visit is now, potentially of greater concern than the virus itself.

Absolutely - I completely agree with you. The job of government is to do the greatest good for the greatest number. At the moment, it would appear that in most of the UK, businesses need to start opening again, for those who do not need to shield.
It is however the responsibility of the powers that be, to ensure that those who are considered 'vulnerable' are aware that they still need to shield to protect themselves.

To me it’s confidence, if the future King is confident in the measure pubs are having to put in place than we all should be.

It's easy to have that opinion if you're not at risk to the virus. From my perspective - I have to be conscious of every little thing as someone with a rare genetic condition - it's careless to open so early when we've seen examples from countries like Japan, South Korea and Germany who had a spike in cases when their bars, restaurants etc opened up again. I don't know why people are so allergic to lockdown. It's a harsh reality but I personally would rather be "cooped up" and healthy than out and about and infectious, which I could pass on to other people and who in turn could pass it onto their "other people".

Just because a royal or public figure does something doesn't mean I have faith to do the same either. What is the great need to go to the pub when beer and alcoholic drinks are available at affordable prices in supermarkets? Or the pubs could do home deliveries as some of my locals have been doing?

Same with our politicians - no mask wearing either. It's irresponsible IMO. If you're going to be heading back to the pub or an outdoor attraction, at least wear a mask when you're doing so as a public person who others look up to.

Last edited:
I too have a health condition that requires me to remain at home but I see no reason why those who can do so can't go out and enjoy themselves.

Keeping a country in lock down will simply send the country broke and with no money coming in businesses will go broke and the government simply can't continue to pay people to sit at home and not work. It needs an income too.

I am fortunate that I am retired but even if I wasn't I would have to stay at home on no pay as I wouldn't be eligible for any government hand out as my job (a teacher) is still there and my school has been open all through this ... they had around 50% of the students attending through lock down and 100% have been back since week 3 term 2 here in NSW.

I too have a health condition that requires me to remain at home but I see no reason why those who can do so can't go out and enjoy themselves.

Keeping a country in lock down will simply send the country broke and with no money coming in businesses will go broke and the government simply can't continue to pay people to sit at home and not work. It needs an income too.

I am fortunate that I am retired but even if I wasn't I would have to stay at home on no pay as I wouldn't be eligible for any government hand out as my job (a teacher) is still there and my school has been open all through this ... they had around 50% of the students attending through lock down and 100% have been back since week 3 term 2 here in NSW.

Well then that should make you more sympathetic to the NHS staff who have been working tirelessly yesterday and today after drunk and disorderly scenes were seen in Soho, London. The fact is that the more we comply to the rules, the quicker we can all be out of this. Lockdown is necessary. It’s not ideal but is needed.

It's easy to have that opinion if you're not at risk to the virus. From my perspective - I have to be conscious of every little thing as someone with a rare genetic condition - it's careless to open so early when we've seen examples from countries like Japan, South Korea and Germany who had a spike in cases when their bars, restaurants etc opened up again. I don't know why people are so allergic to lockdown. It's a harsh reality but I personally would rather be "cooped up" and healthy than out and about and infectious, which I could pass on to other people and who in turn could pass it onto their "other people".

Just because a royal or public figure does something doesn't mean I have faith to do the same either. What is the great need to go to the pub when beer and alcoholic drinks are available at affordable prices in supermarkets? Or the pubs could do home deliveries as some of my locals have been doing?

Same with our politicians - no mask wearing either. It's irresponsible IMO. If you're going to be heading back to the pub or an outdoor attraction, at least wear a mask when you're doing so as a public person who others look up to.

As we are now straying away from the purpose of this thread I’m not going to directly respond to comments made in your post.

But just to say our government has said x y z can open, and as throughout lockdown our royal family who others do look up to have followed and backed the government as much as they can.

Wearing masks is not a requirement unless you are in specific settings so the point is mute.

The time is now for common sense, if you want to go out do so and if you don’t or can’t then that’s okay as well.

As we are now straying away from the purpose of this thread I’m not going to directly respond to comments made in your post.

But just to say our government has said x y z can open, and as throughout lockdown our royal family who others do look up to have followed and backed the government as much as they can.

Wearing masks is not a requirement unless you are in specific settings so the point is mute.

The time is now for common sense, if you want to go out do so and if you don’t or can’t then that’s okay as well.

Royals in the continent have been routinely seen in public wearing masks, see e.g. King Felipe and Queen Letizia in their recent tour of different regions of Spain. I admit the situation is different as wearing masks in public spaces may be compulsory in their countries (I don't know for sure, but it is in some countries/regions) whereas it is not in the UK, but, still, as the second in line to the throne , the DoC should consider wearing a mask, not so much to set an example, but actually to protect himself. At least that is my opinion. I also disagree with politicians like President Trump and the British PM who do not wear masks (although BJ at least has the excuse that he is now probably immune after having recovered from Covid-19).

Last edited:

I agree Lumutqueen and we see the members of the BRF following the current guidelines created by the government.

Last edited:
The Duke of Cambridge Current Events 3: July 2018

My point is not “mute”, it’s as valid as everyone else’s whether you agree with it or not. All opinions are welcome on discussion boards.

I, quite frankly am annoyed by this “common sense” rhetoric - as we have seen from the rowdy scenes at the pubs yesterday and the beaches, that’s not really something that has been seen a lot. All I am saying is that, whilst we can of course make our own choices, the sensible thing is to actually stay at home and have a pint or another drink if that’s what you really want to do, in your garden on a Zoom call with friends. It releases the burden off the NHS.

Sorry but I feel very strongly on this issue and I’m aware I’ve shifted the thread off on a tangent but I’m tired of the selfishness some people have been displaying during this lockdown.

My point is not “mute”, it’s as valid as everyone else’s whether you agree with it or not. All opinions are welcome on discussion boards.

I, quite frankly am annoyed by this “common sense” rhetoric - as we have seen from the rowdy scenes at the pubs yesterday and the beaches, that’s not really something that has been seen a lot. All I am saying is that, whilst we can of course make our own choices, the sensible thing is to actually stay at home and have a pint or another drink if that’s what you really want to do, in your garden on a Zoom call with friends. It releases the burden off the NHS.

Sorry but I feel very strongly on this issue and I’m aware I’ve shifted the thread off on a tangent but I’m tired of the selfishness some people have been displaying during this lockdown.

I agree, some people have been selfish, but at the end of the day, common sense has to prevail.

In my opinion, you cannot have a lockdown carrying on in perpetuity and a degree of normality, with due precautions, needs to emerge. The economic, social and health costs of the last 3.5 months have been horrendous.

I'm not so sure William was encouraging people to go to the pubs as much as visiting a pub to see what measures they are having to take in light of the continued need to maintain social distancing prior to being allowed to re-open.

In many rural places, the local pub can often be a vital social hub of a village and indeed the only commercial part of a village landscape.

As such, it is no surprise to see William taking an interest.

In many rural places, the local pub can often be a vital social hub of a village and indeed the only commercial part of a village landscape.

Absolutely spot on Jacknch!

I'm not so sure William was encouraging people to go to the pubs as much as visiting a pub to see what measures they are having to take in light of the continued need to maintain social distancing prior to being allowed to re-open.

Good point - I admit, being in my urban bubble, I had forgotten about the rural areas. Even in my town which is in the suburbs of London, our pubs still generate a lot of local income and are very much involved with the community.

That being said, and going back to my original point, I am afraid a lot of people aren’t being as sensible as you are with this stance and have taken William’s message as to him encouraging the reopening of the pubs. A reply by a COVID sceptic on Kensington Palace’s Twitter cheered William for ignoring “scare mongering” guidelines, which was liked by about 50+ people. That’s more what I was getting at - whilst supporting local businesses is a good initiative, especially in lockdown, it is encouraging this type of person who doesn’t care about others because they’re wrapped in their own anti lockdown bubbles.

This is a small rural pub with a children's play area and that serves food - IMO this is much safer than a city bar or pub where people are more likely to get drunk on a "proper night out" than to meet friends/family for a few drinks and a meal especially as its likely at least one member of the party will have to drive.

The fact is the UK is coming out of lockdown, whether we think that is right or wrong the RF are not encouraging anything illegal or against guidelines, they are supporting small local businesses to keep afloat at a difficult time.

Well said!

Absolutely Iluvbertie - I know this is not a 'Covid-19' forum, but your point is so true.
I've had the misfortune of treating many Covid-19 patients over the past months, but I completely agree that businesses need to re-open and societies need to get back to 'normal', albeit that those who are 'at risk' or vulnerable will need to continue to protect themselves for the foreseeable future. Governments now need to focus on reopening, with isolated lockdowns where necessary, and citizens need to decide if they are at-risk and need to shield themselves and for how long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom