The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t read the mayor’s statement before. He was mostly concerned about the speeding SUV hitting pedestrians and two police officers from what I read. He also said that he found it hard to believe there was a 2 hour car chase.

Also now Scobie, their unofficial mouthpiece is trying to claw back their initial hyperbolic statement claiming it was made by people in an “emotional “ state. Just like the teenagers they are. Why not use facts.

Last edited:
It was the Sussex spokeswoman who spoke in the original statement, not Harry or Meghan at all. As far as I know neither of them have said anything officially and publicly about the incident

The Sussexes

Losing control of the car would likely have been actually catastrophic in that area of New York. If they were going 80 miles per hour (hard to believe that is possible in Manhattan), pedestrians and other drivers were in far more danger than Harry and Meghan, who were in a large SUV.

I'm sorry that Harry may have been "triggered," but that is no excuse for endangering other people's lives. If they thought they were in danger, they should have driven to the nearest police station. If they knew that these were just photographers, they should have behaved more responsibly. I'm sure the photographers were annoying but being annoyed is no excuse for being reckless.

Are you Americans not bored with these royals?, And I agree with you about their "fancy" story about being chased by the press!!

I didn’t read the mayor’s statement before. He was mostly concerned about the speeding SUV hitting pedestrians and two police officers from what I read. He also said that he found it hard to believe there was a 2 hour car chase.

Also now Scobie, their unofficial mouthpiece is trying to claw back their initial hyperbolic statement claiming it was made by people in an “emotional “ state. Just like the teenagers they are. Why not use facts.

This has clearly landed very poorly if even Scobie is trying to walk back the statement their own spokesperson made. Too late imo.

No one would have known anything if they hadn’t chosen to make what seems to be an exaggerated, over dramatic statement.

It was the Sussex spokeswoman who spoke in the original statement, not Harry or Meghan at all. As far as I know neither of them have said anything officially and publicly about the incident

True it was a spokesperson and an official press release. And it was also about 36 hours after the incident. It *wasn't* put out by two emotional people right after it happened but by professions not involved who knew better than to use such emotive language to describe the situation unless their clients insisted.

Also not helping their cause right now is the fact that they seem to be briefing everyone sympathetic (Omid, Victoria Ward etc) that the King nor the rest of the family has not contacted them. Have they thought that these sort of constant public updates about private relationships are why the family are hesitant to do so?

True it was a spokesperson and an official press release. And it was also about 36 hours after the incident. It *wasn't* put out by two emotional people right after it happened but by professions not involved who knew better than to use such emotive language to describe the situation unless their clients insisted.

Also not helping their cause right now is the fact that they seem to be briefing everyone sympathetic (Omid, Victoria Ward etc) that the King nor the rest of the family has not contacted them. Have they thought that these sort of constant public updates about private relationships are why the family are hesitant to do so?

I agree that it’s pretty clear that even if anyone in the BRF wanted to reach out, they couldn’t do so without their words being publicly disclosed and then distorted. It would prolong the story and make it worse for everyone involved, including Prince Harry and Meghan, though I’m not sure they get that.

Do we know for sure that they actually have a "spokesperson," aside from themselves? This is the second time in just a few weeks where they've put out an official statement that sounded like it was written by Meghan herself, and would have benefited from being edited by someone less emotionally involved in the situation the statement was addressing.

The other one was "The Duchess of Sussex is going about her life in the present, not thinking about correspondence from two years ago related to conversations from four years ago. Any suggestion otherwise is false and frankly ridiculous." That was in reference to reports that Meghan wasn't attending the coronation because she believed Charles's response to a letter she wrote him shortly after the Oprah interview didn't sufficiently address her allegations of racism (which Harry later claimed she never made). I thought that one was an unnecessarily over-the-top way to deny those reports, and wondered at the time whether Meghan just put it out there herself. Every source I saw credited it to a "spokesperson," but none mentioned a person's name or how the statement was communicated to journalists.

This latest statement is much worse in that regard, and assuming the "spokesperson" wasn't in the SUV with Harry and Meghan, that person shouldn't have been in the "emotional state" that Scobie blames for the initial inaccuracies. It really looks like Meghan is writing statements based on whatever knee-jerk emotional reaction she's experiencing at the moment, emailing it to journalists with someone else's name on it, and then blaming it on a "spokesperson" when it goes over like a lead balloon. Has anyone ever seen this "spokesperson," or spoken to them on the phone, to verify that it's not Harry or Meghan?

Last edited:
Response from BACKGRID is so shady:

The agency said it had replied in a letter: "In America, as I'm sure you know, property belongs to the owner of it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.

"Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago.

"We stand by our founding fathers."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65642614.amp

It also does not explain why none of them were wearing seatbelts. In all the pictures we have seen from the car none of them are wearing seatbelts. It still boggles my mind that if they were that frightened why were they not wearing them?

well according to Harry his mother's accident was due ot the paps, not to drviing too fast, and a drunk driver and not wearing a seat belt.

The agency said it had replied in a letter: "In America, as I'm sure you know, property belongs to the owner of it: Third parties cannot just demand it be given to them, as perhaps Kings can do.

"Perhaps you should sit down with your client and advise them that his English rules of royal prerogative to demand that the citizenry hand over their property to the Crown were rejected by this country long ago.

Why shady? I think it’s a funny way to frame something obvious. This was in response to the Sussexes’ lawyers demanding that Backgrid surrender all footage and photos of that incident, which is a bizarre demand from a public figure in the US. Maybe the Sussexes can hire Backgrid’s PR people and lawyers. Even the first statement was better crafted the Sussexes’.

I don't think it's shady, Backgrid actually has a good point, why should an American agency give in to the demand of a minor British royal and his wife who has no power in the US?

With all due respect, the Duke and Duchess [...] control every narrative. She probably wrote or dictated the statement and her minion distributed it. JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:

After reporting on the Backgrid response quoted above, the BBC noted that there is no such "royal prerogative".

Even though the statement was probablly supposed to be sarcastic, it is unfortunate that the Sussexes' actions are now also feeding into common misconceptions among US citizens that the British monarchy is tyrannical.

Last edited:
I don't see why it's shady. Harry and Meghan are not the police. They cannot just demand that someone hand over their photos and video.

I dont understand why the Sussex's requested the footage - it should be the police that ask for it.
I ask think it is very rich Harry making a statement about handing over the footage he was filming - if the police wanted his Netflix footage they would ask.
I am also concerned that this involved Backgrid - who they inform of their ware bouts - and yes - I am surmising that. But when it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck - it is unlikely to be a rocking chair. So what is actually going on here - Are they just making noise?

The very wording of the Sussexes' demand (if the BBC got it right) reeks of entitlement that the royals back in the UK would have been dragged over hot coals for. I would have been strongly tempted to put them in their place as well. They are playing straight into the hands of those who think they are trying to play the prince in America.

I think the back grid statement is snarky - if they wanted to be polite, they could just have used legal language to say no. Instead they made it very personal, calling out Harry without using his name. It’s meant to cause a headline, and I think it’s fully intended to irate the Sussexes.

I don’t think it’s a bad approach for backgrid though.

Awww, The Sussex's...... The gift that keeps on giving. In the headlines AGAIN, and not for good deeds or work. For over dramatizing themselves.

Another "incident", blown up out of all out of proportion to feed their egos and sense of entitlement.
So similar in nature to the exaggerated story in her Podcast that She told to guest Serena Williams. On The South Africa Tour regarding Archie's Room and "smoking heater" situation.
Meghan claimed that the Sussex's were told after an Engagement there had been a "fire" in Archie's room. BUT he was NOT in there, it was NOT a fire, but Meghan claimed that it left "everyone in tears.......everyone's shaken" . Wow. ( how would they REACT in a true emergency ?) And She was upset that they had to then go to another Event, as she told Serena.

That IS her direct words. She got pushback from People that accompanied them, who later refuted her sensationalized version. There was NO FIRE. There never was any danger.

I suspect that this exaggerated claim of "near catastrophic car chase" involving The Sussex's will be debunked too.

I also noted that Victoria Ward from The Telegraph writes "that the lack of personal contact, as well as Buckingham Palace refusal to comment on the incident is said to have frustrated the Couple. Who friends suggest, had hoped to garner more support, particularly on a personal level".

IF TRUE, are these two for real ??

Years now of blistering vile personal attacks on Family members. AND allegations of collision and double dealing underhandness by Staffers and The Institution, solely to demean it, And they now expect "someone" to reach out to them ?

Just unbelievable.......

Last edited:
Wow, Epic fail by The Sussex's...

It seems here in the US, the reaction ....and the whole situation.....is being viewed as a STUNT.

What happened ????? The Sussex's intention to spin it, backfired.

Now they are again being questioned, mocked...... and laughed at.

Yep! I agree! They have really embarrassed themselves! What a mess!

By the way, it is Harry and Meghan’s fifth wedding anniversary today. Hope they have a lovely dinner together and reminisce. Five years marriage, two children, and seven years together all up. Congratulations to them. There were plenty of predictions it wouldn’t last six months.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

Why shady? I think it’s a funny way to frame something obvious. This was in response to the Sussexes’ lawyers demanding that Backgrid surrender all footage and photos of that incident, which is a bizarre demand from a public figure in the US. Maybe the Sussexes can hire Backgrid’s PR people and lawyers. Even the first statement was better crafted the Sussexes’.

Agreed.

I loved Backgrid’s response. It was funny. And snarky. They responded to the Sussex’s bizarre demand in the manner they deserved.

If they didn’t want a snarky response- they shouldn’t have made a demand they knew BG wasn’t compelled to comply with. It reeks of entitlement.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they were writing and approving this response. Someone had fun with this.

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rate-their-catastrophic-chase-its-complicated

The cab driver…
I don?t think I would call it a chase,? Singh said. ?I never felt like I was in danger. It wasn?t like a car chase in a movie.? Still, added Singh, he could understand why his famous passengers were terrified. ?You know, my feelings were normal, but I?m sure their feelings were more intense because of what his mom, Princess Diana, died in a crash running away from the paparazzi,? he said. ?So I think their emotions must have been higher.?

And that?s really the crux of it, isn?t it? We all react to high-pressure situations in different ways, based on our personal histories. It is perfectly natural that Prince Harry would be traumatized by being aggressively pursued by the paparazzi. Nobody has any right to dismiss or diminish his response to what must have been a very triggering situation. You don?t have to particularly like Harry and Meghan to be disturbed by the constant vitriol directed against them, particularly from the British media. And you don?t have to be a Harry and Meghan cheerleader to feel disturbed at how they were treated by the royal family. Who, by the way, have kept conspicuously quiet on the car chase.’

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rate-their-catastrophic-chase-its-complicated

The cab driver…
I don?t think I would call it a chase,? Singh said. ?I never felt like I was in danger. It wasn?t like a car chase in a movie.? Still, added Singh, he could understand why his famous passengers were terrified. ?You know, my feelings were normal, but I?m sure their feelings were more intense because of what his mom, Princess Diana, died in a crash running away from the paparazzi,? he said. ?So I think their emotions must have been higher.?

And that?s really the crux of it, isn?t it? We all react to high-pressure situations in different ways, based on our personal histories. It is perfectly natural that Prince Harry would be traumatized by being aggressively pursued by the paparazzi. Nobody has any right to dismiss or diminish his response to what must have been a very triggering situation. You don?t have to particularly like Harry and Meghan to be disturbed by the constant vitriol directed against them, particularly from the British media. And you don?t have to be a Harry and Meghan cheerleader to feel disturbed at how they were treated by the royal family. Who, by the way, have kept conspicuously quiet on the car chase.’

We don't know how the BRF treated H&M but we certainly know how H&M treated the BRF.

Also, why does the writer or anyone thinks that the BRF should comment on the car chase anyway?

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

With all due respect, the Duke and Duchess [...] control every narrative. She probably wrote or dictated the statement and her minion distributed it. JMHO

Agreed. The statement was released by THEIR spokesman. Someone who is literally paid to get their pov across. Of course the Sussexes were okay with the content.

The Sussexes are indeed controlling of their narrative (it’s why we’ve heard their story- over and over- with revisions) , and this statement fits with the way they handle everything imo. But- like you- I think it’s very likely they generally dictated it themselves.

There’s no doubt in my mind that statement’s words and tone reflected EXACTLY what they wanted. It just wasn’t received in the manner they hoped.

Even Scobie is trying to walk that statement back. And trying to change the focus to complaining about the RF not responding publicly or privately to this. Why would they? Their words will just be used and twisted. And anything they say privately, they sure couldn’t trust to stay private.

Last edited:
[.....]
AND what IS The Family supposed to say about the fiasco created by The Sussex's about the "car chase" ? No one was hurt, just the egos of the Sussex's bruised, as they are mocked and laughed at here in The States.

Last edited:
The quote about being disturbed was in the Guardian article I linked which was in quotes in my post. It was an observation by the Guardian journalist.

As we have been asked by the mods not to rehash old history regarding the Sussexes, I’m not going to go over old ground.

Everybody on the Sussex threads knows my views on the Sussexes, their relationship with the royal family, and what has happened since. I’ve made it clear in hundreds of posts.

I joined TRF in 2014 to support Prince Harry as I admired and liked him since Diana’s death when he was twelve. I haven’t changed my views on him since.

Agreed Curryong. I mistakenly assumed you posted that. Got it now.

Are you Americans not bored with these royals?, And I agree with you about their "fancy" story about being chased by the press!!

Many of us were fed up with the two of them a long time ago!

I can still understand wanting to shake of paparazzi, but I can’t understand not wearing seatbelts in this day as age. I hope that’s not true or they could end up in accident that’s not even related to paparazzi.

Particularly if you say you are being chased for two hours.

If the original statement does not represent what H&M thought of the situation the lady should be fired and H&M should make another statement correcting what they actually meant to say.

Using the "spokewoman" as scapegoat is just pathetic.

By the way, it is Harry and Meghan’s fifth wedding anniversary today. Hope they have a lovely dinner together and reminisce. Five years marriage, two children, and seven years together all up. Congratulations to them. There were plenty of predictions it wouldn’t last six months.

Five years ago I was in Tenerife on a sun lounger, watching the ceremony on my iPad with the headphones (my late husband, who wasn't a royalist, was reading a science fiction book instead). I remember the ceremony pretty well, and the feeling of optimism I had during the service, the belief that Harry and Meghan as a married couple would be a real asset for the BRF.

The sad thing is that in the intervening years they've caused so much heartache to their loved ones, and with their conduct turned so many people against them - this week's antics definitely crossed a line - that most people who might have remembered today was their anniversary have genuinely forgotten, or have simply become so disillusioned with the pair of them that they couldn't care less. Understandably so.

Nevertheless: happy anniversary to Harry and Meghan. Despite my disappointment in them and their behaviour I genuinely wish them and their children all the best. As well as a lovely dinner reminiscing, I hope they also take the time to reflect honestly upon the many mistakes they have made, and somehow find the strength of character to become better people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom