The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a pity that they can't seem to get things on the rail. We all want them to do something else except going at the RF. Such a shame that their plans keeps on not working out.

The most scathing part of the article is the title, which is certainly not how anyone would want to be portrayed. It sticks in your head the way "the worldwide privacy tour" and "grifters" does. The article itself is much less sensational, although also not positive.

I'm really curious about the children's show that began development while they were still working royals. I'd heard rumors to that end, but I don't recall ever seeing that timeline confirmed previously. Did they sign a contract while still working royals? If so, presumably its terms involved them being paid. Doesn't that violate all kinds of rules and norms? Did the Queen or Charles approve that, or even know about it? Even if they hadn't signed anything prior to their exit, what was their plan for this show if they'd remained working royals? Or had they already decided at that point that they'd be engaging in this type of paid work one way or another, and would just leave if they couldn't get half-in, half-out?

There were a lot of rumours they started negotiations with companies while still working royals. There was the whole Lion King thing - Harry recommending Meghan to the Disney CEO at a royal event.
I mean, there were suggestions they entered negotiations with Oprah and other American broadcasters to "first show" Archie after his birth, though it was never made clear this was for money but it still went away the notion of "fair media access" that is the BRF policy for big things like births. So I think anything is possible, IMO its most likely they were at least in talks with companies about commercial contracts before they officially stopped being working royals

Somebody, completely agree. I honestly don't believe that She planned on staying either. In my case, my timeline is, it crystallized in her mind around The Australian Tour.

I will always be curious though if Harry needed persuading or was fully on board. Because, as the reasons I listed above, it seem little actual thought and concrete planning of pros-cons- and consequences went into the Sussex's calculations, to "find freedom".

Apparently then, as now. They signed a contract to deliver a certain amount of content in a specified timeline. Then IGNORED that provision with Spotify.
Why did they think they could get away with being non compliant ? Meghan has signed contracts before, and who or where were Advisors ?

And having a REAL Hollywood-Media Player, Bill Simmons label The Sussex's as "grifters" ? Losing the Spotify deal was one blow, but to have their reputation attacked by a connected and respected "insider", that is a knockout !

Wonder how they like be on the receiving end of demeaning insults ? That they can't respond too ?????
I would love to know WHY The Sussex's made Bill Simmons so wary, untrusting and SOOO dismissive of Harry and Meghan, publicly. Must be quite a story !

Another big miscalculation. Never gaming out repercussions to their actions.

I expect his response would have been something along the lines of "wherever you go, so will I...". He was/is besotted with her, which is why his reaction to recommendations that he take the relationship slower was so over the top!

They want to be seen with high profile people to boast and legitimize their brand the constant name dropping is embarrassing. Everyone in Hollywood can see it for what it is.

Do people in hollywood take much notice of them?

So in the last three months, Archewell had resignations from:

the president;
head of communications;
head of audio;
head of content slate;
head of scripted content;
head of marketing.

Perhaps these ex-employees now consider themselves members of the flourishing 'Sussex Survivors Club'.

How many people (friends or employees) have stuck with the Sussexes without resigning, being fired, dropped or ghosted?

I agree with everyone else that the Sussexes are in a tricky position.

IMHO, one of their biggest problems is that they want the best of both worlds, they want the sparkle and freedom of celebrity but also the "reverence" and connection of royalty and I don't think that's doable.

Another problem of them is that they wanted to be big players in Hollywood but without the preparation to do so. A person doesn't invent themselves as a big project producer from nothing. Harry has no experience in content creation and Meghan, while she knows the entertainment world a bit better, was always a small player and doesn't have the experience you usually acquire while you climb the ladder from small to big, she went from small to big with no learning process.

And finally, the big problem of control. They seem to always want control over everything at any given moment but it is simply not realistic.

When they married I had so many high hopes for them and it was the same when the left in Jan 2020 (even though I didn't like the way they left), but as time moves on I realize how my hopes were in the wrong place.

That said, I wish them the best. I may not like them but I wish them success, I don't want their children to suffer for their parents' hubris.

The only thing that sells from their point of view is BRF related output; I suspect they will fall back on this one way or another, depending on how things pan out.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. It sounds like a familiar playback.No accusations of mistreatment but these are similar rhings we heard of them as working royals. Indecisive. Control. Last minute changes. No real practically or realism.

Yeap, they are facing the same accusations in Hollywood that they said were part of a royal smear campaign when they were part of the Firm.

Its not just the accusations that are sounding familiar but their "media rise & fall" in the US is similar to the UK one. 1st seen as "fresh air, modern" then the wispers start about them being controlling, then the outright negative stories. I wonder if they will accuse the Firm for the negative press they are getting in the US. Will they get into a war with the US media as they have the UK ones?

I really hope that Meghan & Harry will get to a point where everything comes together for them.

I think the reason they seem to be struggling with their business is that that was never their plan when they left the firm. Yes they wanted to make money but in a more passive than active way. What they wanted was to be global leaders without the restrictions of royal life. They planned on making money of the side but their brand would be philantrophy.

What they didnt expect was the Firm basically cutting them off financialy thus these deals were made almost in haste because they found themselves in trouble.
Another problem is that they came to realise that its challenging to be a "world leader" when the source of your status has cut you off. The more they fell out with the firm publicly, they more they lost any influence in those important circles.
The media attention is also going to shift towards the new generation of royals, the young Wales kids.

So now, they are having to pivot & create a brand that is independant of the very thing they had hoped to trade on, their royal connections.

Last edited:
I really hope that Meghan & Harry will get to a point where everything comes together for them.

I think the reason they seem to be struggling with their business is that that was never their plan when they left the firm. Yes they wanted to make money but in a more passive than active way. What they wanted was to be global leaders without the restrictions of royal life. They planned on making money of the side but their brand wound be philantrophy.

What they didnt expect was the Firm basically cutting them off financialy thus these deals were made almost in haste because they found themselves in trouble.

Another problem is that they came to realise that its challenging to be a "world leader" when the source of your status has cut you off. The more they fell out with the firm publicly, they more they lost any influence in those important circles.

The media attention is also going to shift towards the new generation of royals, the young Wales kids.

So now, they are having to pivot & create a brand that is independant of the very thing they had hoped to trade on, their royal connections.

I don’t want to see anyone get hurt or not have a happy life, however these two set out on a vindictive route against his family. They trashed the Royal Family at every turn.

What did you expect? The checks to keep flowing? Really!

Last edited:

I think the reason they seem to be struggling with their business is that that was never their plan when they left the firm. Yes they wanted to make money but in a more passive than active way. What they wanted was to be global leaders without the restrictions of royal life. They planned on making money of the side but their brand wound be philantrophy.

I am not so sure about that. Their proposed children's program being in development and Harry making a pitch to the Disney CEO about Meghan doing voiceovers while they were still working royals suggest to me that Meghan always intended to be a producer or return to the entertainment business. That in turn casts doubt on what she said to Oprah and others that she was genuinely committed at first to being a full-time royal and did her best for that Plan A to work out.

After all the information that has surfaced over the past years, it is hard for me not to conclude that Meghan was using her royal marriage as a platform to relaunch her career in the United States in the future, and that this has been her long-term goal from the start. In other words, Megexit was not an accidental consequence of an unexpected adversarial environment that she encountered in the UK, but a carefully premeditated plan all along.

Man, these past two weeks have a rough ride for the Sussex's and their reputations. Spotify cancels their contract with them, and a well respected and connected Hollywood - Media Player here in the States, Bill Simmons, publicly trashes them.

Part of me thought after that media storm erupted about Bill calling them "grifters", Bill might *try* to walk it back, or soften it.....but NO. Silence. The sad thing for Harry is that the "diss" Simmons made p!ayed into Harry's very sensitive "Achilles Heel" ......about not being too bright.

Coupled with reports now that one of Harry's proposals, was to Interview Donald Trump and Putin ( in the Middle of a WAR ! ) about childhood traumas.That roundly got mocked and laughed at here in the States as bordering on delusional.

I now believe the "rumor" about The Sussex's becoming Brand Ambassadors for Dior was floated from someone in their Camp or Agency to gage possible interest. Well that failed, and dropped like a lead balloon.

Now there is a "leak" that Meghan personally contacted Taylor Swift to appear on her Archetype's Podcast, and that Taylor had her Representatives decline it. I found that leak interesting. Just declined, no "scheduling conflict" to soften the excuse either. Who leaked that ? One of The Sussex's FORMER employees ? Yep, that would be my guess.

I wonder how Harry feels this week, some sadness I'm sure.. There was positive coverage here in The States about King Charles first Trooping The Colour and Ascot too.
The absolutely adorable Wales Children in another carriage procession, and The Prince and Princess of Wales looking glam and confident too. Events that Harry always was highlighted in, press wise.

Now, they seem to be consigned to the past. And his children might never experience. All due their Netflick Docuseries and Spare revelations that Harry willingly shared. Does Meghan care ? Doubtful. But I'd bet Harry does. It WAS his world after all.

And to my eyes, things are hardly going in the right or positive direction here.

What a bitter pill to swallow.

Last edited:
Man, these past two weeks have a rough ride for the Sussex's and their reputations. Spotify cancels their contract with them, and a well respected and connected Hollywood - Media Player here in the States, Bill Simmons, publicly trashes them.

Part of me thought after that media storm erupted about Bill calling them "grifters", Bill might *try* to walk it back, or soften it.....but NO. Silence. The sad thing for Harry is that the "diss" Simmons made p!aye into Harry's very sensitive "Achilles Heel" ......about not being too bright.

Coupled with reports now that one of Harry's proposals, was to Interview Donald Trump and Putin ( in the Middle of a WAR ! ) about childhood traumas.That roundly got mocked and laughed at here in the States as bordering on delusional.

I now believe the " rumor" about The Sussex's becoming Brand Ambassadors for Dior was floated from someone in their Camp or Agency to gage possible interest. Well that failed, and dropped like a lead balloon.

Now there is a "leak" that Meghan personally contacted Taylor Swift to appear on her Archetype's Podcast, and that Taylor had her Representatives decline it. I found that leak interesting. Just declined, no "scheduling conflict" to soften the excuse either. Who leaked that ? One of The Sussex's FORMER employees ? Yep, that would be my guess.

I wonder how Harry feels this week, some sadness I'm sure.. There was positive coverage here in The States about King Charles first Trooping The Colour and Ascot too.
The absolutely adorable Wales Children in another carriage procession, and The Prince and Princess of Wales looking glam and confident too. Events that Harry always was highlighted in, press wise.

Now, they seem to be consigned to the past. And his children might never experience. All due their Netflick Docuseries and Spare revelations that Harry willingly shared. Does Meghan care ? Doubtful. But I'd bet Harry does. It WAS his world after all.

And to my eyes, things are hardly going in the right or positive direction here.

Well said, Granada! This is just not the life they envisioned. That's what happens when you have a B-grade actress and a member of royalty who grew up in a protective environment where every wish was granted.

A sad reckoning with reality!

Right now I expect a lot of The Sussex's hopes for rehabbing their professional reputations, at least Harry's anyways' rest with The Heart of Invictus coming this Summer on Netflix. That's a LOT of "hopes".

Because I feel that is a niche market, and I doubt it will get the big viewer ship necessary. But maybe the content and production values will be good enough to prevent criticism.

Because if IT IS a flop, or perceived as being done in a shoddy, lazy or cheap manner, I don't know how Harry recovers professionally.
Completely agree suztav about Harry growing up in a "protected environment" too ! That's a big part of his problems now. Why he seems so lost and "spinning his wheels", so to speak.

He can't turn to others in The Family-Firm that responsibly managed his affairs so brilliantly and successfully projected a VERY popular "public persona" for Harry !

Which now appears to have been complete fiction. He IS running the ship now, and seems in over his head, to say the least !

Last edited:
A post has been removed because it was contained divorce speculation which is against forum rules. Let's not go there.

Right now I expect a lot of The Sussex's hopes for rehabbing their professional reputations, at least Harry's anyways' rest with The Heart of Invictus coming this Summer on Netflix. That's a LOT of "hopes".

Because I feel that is a niche market, and I doubt it will get the big viewer ship necessary. But maybe the content and production values will be good enough to prevent criticism.

Because if IT IS a flop, or perceived as being done in a shoddy, lazy or cheap manner, I don't know how Harry recovers professionally.

I'm rooting for this project to truly highlight the athletes and inspire other injured service personnel.

Part of me thought after that media storm erupted about Bill calling them "grifters", Bill might *try* to walk it back, or soften it.....but NO. Silence. The sad thing for Harry is that the "diss" Simmons made p!ayed into Harry's very sensitive "Achilles Heel" ......about not being too bright.

Coupled with reports now that one of Harry's proposals, was to Interview Donald Trump and Putin (in the Middle of a WAR ! ) about childhood traumas. That roundly got mocked and laughed at here in the States as bordering on delusional.

I now believe the "rumor" about The Sussex's becoming Brand Ambassadors for Dior was floated from someone in their Camp or Agency to gage possible interest. Well, that failed and dropped like a lead balloon.

Now there is a "leak" that Meghan personally contacted Taylor Swift to appear on her Archetype's Podcast, and that Taylor had her Representatives decline it. I found that leak interesting. Just declined, no "scheduling conflict" to soften the excuse either. Who leaked that? One of The Sussex's FORMER employees? Yep, that would be my guess.

I wonder how Harry feels this week, some sadness, I'm sure..

A terrible month and we are still in June. My take on your points

"Achilles Heel" Harry being exposed as not the brightest brain in Montecito is not surprising. The pattern seems for him to be gullible and the people around him can take over his life decisions just with the right compliments. Meghan dragged him to and altar in record time, and away from his family even faster. His book memoir company, Netflix, etc. all got him involved in projects way over his head just with the right bait, make him believe he could be a major influencer and use him for sales and ratings profits.

Re the idea you are so famous people like Trump and Putin would do a sit down with you for a podcast. Major delusion, Trump would have eaten him alive, regardless of his notoriety he is known to hate lazy people. Remember him in The Apprentice. He would have turned the interview around and ask him point blank "how are you going to make a living now in the USA? What are you good at, good for?"

And he wanted Putin talking about his traumas? I'm thinking the line of questioning as:
-Harry -- Vlad, like Dracula, right? Ha, Ha!"
-Vlad Putin --in Russian to his interpreter "Is he's asking for it?"
-Harry -- So you didn't get enough hugs as a child and that turned you into a genocidal war criminal that poisons people?"
-Vlad - Let's have this drink first..."

Re Dior and Taylor Swift:
When it was all over the news that he used a Dior suit to his dad's coronation I was like why? and now I see it as him trying to get the House of Dior see him on it to be approached for a gig for Meghan, or for both. Dior is not one person taking decisions, it's a corporation with lots of lawyers and PR agents enough to populate Paris and be aware what celebrities are better to stay away from their brand.

And the Taylor Swift leak was like in the Netflix show, when Meghan gets a text from Beyonce as they are filming, which now I see as a total re-enactment at a different day or year. Exposing messages, or name-dropping Taylor or Queen B's names, will backfire and have more people in California avoid them like an out-of-control forest fire. Which seems the description of their careers as celebrities during this month of June 2023.

I wonder if in a year from now, June 2024, they will recover. But first, it costs 4 million + USA dollars per year to support that house in Montecito. They need to think about what to do in the next six months to recover from June 2023.

A good start, if they asked us, would be recover credibility by making peace with the family elders on both sides (except for that Markle sister). Learn to forgive and move on. Life is just too short.

Last edited:
I'm very interested to see the "Heart of Invictus" doc because I also hope it really does profile and shine a light on those brave men and women taking part in Invictus. If it veers off at all into the drama around H&M then it will be a total shame IMO. It is time to see how mature and sensible H&M can be by not making this documentary (and I would say these games) about his family and whatever else they may want to reveal. Let's wait and see, a big test.

I don’t want to see anyone get hurt or not have a happy life, however these two set out on a vindictive route against his family. They trashed the Royal Family at every turn.

What did you expect? The checks to keep flowing? Really!
Yes I think they should realize that !

They must have at least $100 million, between the proceeds from various contracts, Harry's original family money, etc. I know security is expensive, but that still seems more than enough to set them up comfortably for life if invested wisely, or even just competently. Hopefully they haven't spent it all, and can afford to step back for a while.

They must have at least $100 million, between the proceeds from various contracts, Harry's original family money, etc. I know security is expensive, but that still seems more than enough to set them up comfortably for life if invested wisely, or even just competently. Hopefully they haven't spent it all, and can afford to step back for a while.

I agree but it seems that people with that kind of money don't know how to save or invest wisely. (not all, but a lot)

But wouldn't most of those money go to production cost? At least for Netflix and Spotify, while for the money from Harry's book deal they might pocket bigger percentage of the deal.

I'm honestly surprised to find articles about them in the (what I thought to be) financial/business publications. But if keep being talked by the media regardless of the reasons (as some have argued) is good for the Sussexes, then I suppose they (and maybe their fans) can brag that now they have the Economist, Bloomberg, and WSJ writing about them (even making WSJ's front page!), not just the "British tabloid press". Although I don't think having those publications writing that they don't have proper business plan nor could offer a product worth the money would be good to gain them prospective deals.

You know, both Catherine's Early Years and William's homelessness project are backed by scientific researches, so maybe it's a good idea for the Sussexes to invest some money to commission some sort of market research so they know what best they can sell in their venture to financial independence, instead of throwing every idea and see which one sticks (if what WSJ reported is true).

If they were asking for a discount at the Carlyle Hotel in NYC, they are watching their spending. Security, taxes, legal expenses, airfare, staff ... it adds up quickly.

Do people in hollywood take much notice of them?
OMG Southpark did a whole Episode about them. You can't get any bigger in Hollywood than Trey Park and Matt Stone who have signed one of the biggest deals in history with viacomCBS for 900 million. if those guys don't like you it's over.

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

I doubt they have that kind of money.

Those deals included production costs and were/are contingent on them meeting the terms of the contract.

His book deal at a minimum includes paying the ghostwriter. Plus- I want to say he has to produce more than one book.

It has been said that they didn’t get the full amount from Spotify due to lack of production. Harry not producing anything may have factored in as well.

Hopefully, they’ve invested wisely. They’ll never see anything like these contracts again.

Last edited:
OMG Southpark did a whole Episode about them. You can't get any bigger in Hollywood than Trey Park and Matt Stone who have signed one of the biggest deals in history with viacomCBS for 900 million. if those guys don't like you it's over.

Is that taking notice of them or simply making an amusing episode about people who are in the news at the time?

If they were asking for a discount at the Carlyle Hotel in NYC, they are watching their spending.

A shockingly large number of wealthy people demand free or discount goods and services on a regular basis.

Some of them seem to think that an association with them alone is worth the cost to a business. Which can be true in some cases, but completely off base in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom