The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 6: Aug. 2021- Oct. 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The security excuse is pathetic given how many HEADS of STATE were in attendance security around this event would have been the tightest anywhere in the world. It was just an excuse to avoid his family.

i believe his point is that he'd be missing the security during his whole stay, not just the service itself.

in any case, a stupid reaction. they are clearly showing they are losing their marbles and they have a high sense of entitlement. i'd feel so bad if i were him for not attending my grandfather's memorial and so bad also for releasing that horrible interview with accusations as his grandfather was in hospital before dying. i think he will regret it in some years, and unfortunately his grandfather won't be there anymore to apologise to him.

all in all however, there was little mention in the news of the fact they weren't there. which is probably what they wanted - for the media to say how they were missing etc... and it didn't happen. they must be turning in montecito.

It is evident that most people here are against Harry….and Megan. We are not in their shoes, we actually don’t know what is going on behind the doors or in any communication. We “hear” what is in the media and what others think that are close to the Royals. If they are so close to the Royals they should keep their mouths shut. So if they are talking, they are gossiping and not close to the family. They want their day of fame and any monies they can get from interviews. Was Harry told not to come, yet he wanted to go to his grandfathers service? Did Prince Phillip tell Harry not to come because of the issues of the past? (Before he died) Did the Queen tell Harry not to come? We just do not know. Everyone sides with William and Kate, and the press. To be fair to all sides, I think there is a lot more to the issue then we will know. The security issue I believe is a smoke screen….this service was to be about Prince Phillip, his life, his service to England, the Queen, his wife. Thats not what is happening. Thats sad. JMOO like you have yours.

I really don't think Harry watched the program.

Same.

For all the so-called drama, the service was all of 45 minutes. ;)

Considering the time difference, Harry probably pre-recorded to watch for later.

Anyway, most of the focus here in Blighty has being on another family member presence/prominence. Just as well.

Last edited:
Had QEII requested his attendance, i.e. badly wanted him there, I believe Prince Harry would have attended.

I truly believe Prince Harry hates being in the UK because of the memories/feelings it holds - and will only return when absolutely necessary. My own father refused to travel back to Italy after he emigrated to Australia, which was 55 years ago. For him, returning would bring back the memories of a hard childhood in post-WWII Calabria.

Do you think that the queen asked/requested her whole family to attend as well as many foreign royals and others who had some kind of relationship with her husband but did exclude one of her grandchildren? I am quite sure that the queen requested his attendance and that of his wife (i.e., they were invited) but they declined.

I think Harry made the right decision in the end. He would have been criticized by those who dislike him either way - if he goes, he's attention-seeking, unwanted, and only looking to get material for his next Netflix project. If he doesn't go, he's callous and hateful. I think he made the decision that came with the least amount of drama and kept the focus where it needed to be: on paying tribute to Prince Philip. I would guess (hope) that he took that into consideration when deciding whether or not to attend. I suspect security was not the only factor at play.

I see your point, but I’m not sure it should have mattered what the press or the public thought. ( If that’s what you meant.)

The point was to honor his grandfather, be with his family and presumably be supportive.

Furthermore- this was an opportunity to come together in a way that they couldn’t at his funeral due to COVID. The few family that could even attend were basically confined to little groups. This would have been a nice opportunity to really come together, reminisce, talk, etc.

Anyway- whatever his motives- it certainly wasn’t the lack of security at the service. What an absurd explanation that was.

And really-if he couldn’t attend an event like this due to the security excuse-then what exactly can he come back for- ever? Unless- of course- he somehow gets exactly what he wants.

Do you think that the queen asked/requested her whole family to attend as well as many foreign royals and others who had some kind of relationship with her husband but did exclude one of her grandchildren? I am quite sure that the queen requested his attendance and that of his wife (i.e., they were invited) but they declined.

Making it an open invitation with consideration for his situation rather than specifically requesting his presence there is not the same as excluding him. QEII might well be understanding of Harry's situation – considering her overt display of support for Andrew yesterday, I don't think that's unlikely at all. We don't know.

I did miss Harry’s presence at the service, mainly because there were so many members of the family there and Harry has been a prominent figure at royal occasions at the Abbey in recent years. I felt only sadness, both for the Queen who I’m sure would have loved him to attend, and for Harry’s likely regret in future years that he made the decision not to be present. I don’t buy either the idea that he wasn’t welcome or the security argument. I think the potential, personal reasons have been fully aired here. I hope the family can heal after this, but right now the rift seems pretty insurmountable.

I will say this, if Harry couldn't be bothered to come to his supposedly beloved mentor and Grandfather's Thanksgiving Service, I don't think to many will care if he doesn't come when Queen Elizabeth passes on. But, by then he might sorely want to. I don't think the Sussex's like being irrelevant.

All Harry needed to do was fly in Monday. Rest up and attend the Services on Tuesday and fly back that night or the next day. Stay with Eugenie and Jack at Frogmore Cottage. Show the Family and Public that inspite of everything, He loved, respected and honored Philip in life AND death.
But he couldn't. It was about Harry's pride and perceived grievance, which he pathetically tried to frame around a Security Issue.

I also believe his coming Tell All Book could quite possibly be 'The Nail in the Coffin', if as I fear he targets Camilla, and William in *some way*. Especially their late teen -early 20's years. The perception of Harry the Bad Boy..... William The Good....I could very easily see some background information on that, from Harry's point of view. More 'His True Story" ala Diana's.
Then he will be a certain outcast. In the same way as The Duke and Duchess of Windsor were.
I find the similarities between the Couples remarkable.

Last edited:
I will say this, if Harry couldn't be bothered to come to his supposedly beloved mentor and Grandfather Thanksgiving Service, I don't think to many will care if he doesn't come when Queen Elizabeth passes on. But, by then he might sorely want to. I don't think the Sussex's like being irrelevant.

All Harry needed to do was fly in Monday. Rest up and attend the Services on Tuesday and fly back that night or the next day. Stay with Eugenie and Jack at Frogmore Cottage. Show the Family and Public that inspite of everything, I loved, respected and honored Philip in life AND death.
But he couldn't. It was about Harry's pride and perceived grievance, which he pathetically tired to frame around a Security Issue.

I also believe his coming Tell All Book could quite possibly be 'The Nail in the Coffin', if as I fear he targets Camilla, and William in *some way*. Especially their late teen -early 20's years. The perception of Harry the Bad Boy..... William The Good....I could very easily see some background information on that, from Harry's point of view. More 'His True Story" ala Diana's.
Then he will be a certain outcast. In the same way as The Duke and Duchess of Windsor were.
I find the similarities between the Couples remarkable.

I actually think that by the time Harry's book is released, it's not going to be the big blockbuster best seller that Harry thinks it's going to be. Harry and Meghan simply haven't been able to sustain the public interest that they've enjoyed and had hoped to carry with them to California. Public interest is very fickle and hence the "15 minutes of fame" phrase that has been coined. Especially living in the USA where the concept of "royalty" has absolutely no meaning to the average American citizen.

It may take a while longer but it's very possible that in the not to far off future, the attitude will be "Harry who?" as this couple slinks more and more down the ladder into obscurity. Much like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. There always was *some* interest but the world continued to revolve and move on without them.

Then again, this is exactly what Harry has asked for. He wanted his own private life far, far away from the royal fishbowl.

If he'd said that he was really stressed about security, I'm sure that he could have stayed at Windsor Castle, where security is certainly very tight. If security at Westminster Abbey was good enough for the Queen, practically every other member of the British Royal Family, a large number of European monarchs and their consorts, and the Prime Minister, the three other most senior Cabinet ministers, Opposition party leaders and the most senior members of the Armed Forces, then surely it should have been good enough for Harry.

Not turning up was very disrespectful to both Prince Philip and to the Queen.

I feel sad for Archie and Lilibet, as well. It was really sweet to see Charlotte turning round to smile at Beatrice, and waving at Mia. I'm sure Doria is a wonderful grandma, but she's the only extended family member with whom Archie and Lilibet are getting chance to have a relationship - unless they're all secretly having Zoom calls which we know nothing about, which seems unlikely. They are missing out on so much.

As things go, the Queen may well never see Lilibet in person. I know plenty of people who had to wait a long time to see grandchildren and great-grandchildren born during lockdown, and how special it was for them when they finally did get that chance. I'm sad that the Queen's being denied that.

Harry went to the funeral and to me that was more important than the service yesterday.
What I don't get is when the remembrance service was first announced many were saying they shouldn't come. .they were not welcome. Then it became how dare they not come. Aside from the security issue, which to me seems valid. There is more than just the service in regards to security and there are crazy people out there. It seems to me that Harry is still wanted back. No mention of Meghan and the occasional mention of Archie and Lilibet. Think for a moment how Harry must feel about that. I wouldn't feel my family would be safe under those conditions. I would also be hurt as this could have been avoided. In the beginning, a simple public show of support by the Queen or Charles and the current circumstances would be different. A simple this is my grandson/son and his wife accept and let them live their lives.

Harry went to the funeral and to me that was more important than the service yesterday.
What I don't get is when the remembrance service was first announced many were saying they shouldn't come. .they were not welcome. Then it became how dare they not come. Aside from the security issue, which to me seems valid. There is more than just the service in regards to security and there are crazy people out there. It seems to me that Harry is still wanted back. No mention of Meghan and the occasional mention of Archie and Lilibet. Think for a moment how Harry must feel about that. I wouldn't feel my family would be safe under those conditions. I would also be hurt as this could have been avoided. In the beginning, a simple public show of support by the Queen or Charles and the current circumstances would be different. A simple this is my grandson/son and his wife accept and let them live their lives.
I don't think it's the case "we want him to come" but more "he should want to come on his own". It was his grandfather, after all, and yet it looks like many Brits have more feelings about that than his own flesh and blood, which makes the situation sad.

The security issue was not valid at all.
A. If he was so worried, he could stay at the grounds of Windsor Great Park = already protected and go to the Westminster Abbey = probably the safest place in all of London right now.
B. He could keep his own, paid-for protection team to accompany him if he wanted to go somewhere.
C. If there was any threat to Harry's security, the Met Police would change his threat status and hopped through many hoops to protect him IF it was needed.
It was just a convenient excuse for him not to show up.

There were "simple shows of support" at the beginning. There was inviting Meghan to Sandringham even before the wedding, there was an engagement with HMQ, there were pictures of smiling Charles and Harry and Camilla and Meghan on a garden party and many others. It just wasn't enough. Harry and Meghan wanted their status to be higher than it actually was and decided to leave when they didn't get what they wanted, when they wanted, exactly how they wanted it.

It seems to me that Harry is still wanted back. No mention of Meghan and the occasional mention of Archie and Lilibet. Think for a moment how Harry must feel about that. I wouldn't feel my family would be safe under those conditions. I would also be hurt as this could have been avoided. In the beginning, a simple public show of support by the Queen or Charles and the current circumstances would be different. A simple this is my grandson/son and his wife accept and let them live their lives.

Not sure whose comments or lack of comments in relation to Meghan you are referring to. I do not believe anybody in the RF have publicly spoken about whether Meghan is welcome back in the UK on a private visit or not.

If you are referring to comments by the Press, that really is irrelevant, IMO. In my mind, Harry and Meghan, if they so choose, need to rebuild their relationship with his family (the Queen, Charles and William, Camilla and Catherine), and ignore the press. Should familial relations improve, the rest pales into insignificance.

Aside from the security issue, which to me seems valid. There is more than just the service in regards to security and there are crazy people out there.

If they so wanted, Harry and family could stay with the Queen at Windsor. If Windsor is safe enough for the monarch, I am sure Harry and family would be okay. They could have driven to the Abbey in convoy with the Queen, and been perfectly safe. So, no, I do not believe his security in the UK is a valid concern, and was just an excuse.

Last edited:
Archie and Lilibet would not have attended the service, any more than Louis, Lena, Lucas, August or Sienna did. They are too young. It would still have been nice if they'd come over, as I'm sure that the Queen and other members of the family would like to have seen them, but people have been discussing the memorial service, not a general visit.

And, yes, it might have been nice if Meghan had attended, but Prince Philip only knew her for a short time, whereas he was a loving grandfather to Harry for over 35 years.

And there are indeed "crazy people out there", but that didn't seem to stop anyone else from attending, and it doesn't seem to be stopping Harry from attending the Invictus Games. If he's so convinced that "crazy people" are out to get him, why doesn't he think that they're going to get him there? The flight from London to Amsterdam's only just over an hour, or you can take a ferry or a train. It's just an excuse.

I do wonder about the 'business and productivity' and 'kind support' given by the duchess from which they 'gained so much' in the last two years of her term (not impossible but more complicated from afar - especially if your patron doesn't seem to have the intention to be back in the UK anytime soon). This sounds more like some 'nice words' being offered at their parting after the organization asked Meghan to step down as patron (or decided not to renew); it seems unlikely Meghan herself asked the organization to be released of her duties. I wonder whether other organizations will follow this example; especially since this was one that never had a royal patron before and specifically worked with Meghan because of Meghan.

Last edited:
Interesting they've "agreed" for her to step down. You would think many charities would be happy to keep the Sussex's on their letterhead if nothing else. Seems not.

It's a wonderful charity that does great work. I doubt if the DoS was nudged out or anything close to that.

Perhaps she just has been too busy from her home in the U.S. to provide the kind of high level royal support that Mayhew needs and deserves.

I hope they pick up another Royal patron soon.

It's a wonderful charity that does great work. I doubt if the DoS was nudged out or anything close to that.

Perhaps she just has been too busy from her home in the U.S. to provide the kind of high level royal support that Mayhew needs and deserves.

I understand the patronage was originally agreed for 3 years.

Very sad to hear about Oli Juste.:sad:

I guess this is indicative that Meghan's return to Britain will be minimal. (Or non-existent!)
And I agree, Mayhew will need a more present ambassador going forward.

I think she only has the Smartworks, as a UK based patronage now.

Last edited:

Based on the statements provided, it seems this patronage was mainly taken up because Meghan was friends with someone who was part of/worked closely with the organization - and who sadly passed away recently.

Given that they never had a royal patron before and that the number of patronages seems to be shrinking among the royals instead of growing (among others because a major royal patron passed away last year and only a limited amount has been redistributed), I see little reason for them to specifically include this one, unless it fills a gap within their larger portfolio of patronages as a royal family.

Nonetheless, I am sure they benefitted from her patronage if only for the attention it brought when she became their patron (which in most cases seems to be the main attraction of having a royal patron: attention; although the younger generation prefers to be more involved, including Meghan).

I do wonder about the 'business and productivity' and 'kind support' given by the duchess from which they 'gained so much' in the last two years of her term (not impossible but more complicated from afar - especially if your patron doesn't seem to have the intention to be back in the UK anytime soon). This sounds more like some 'nice words' being offered at their parting after the organization asked Meghan to step down as patron (or decided not to renew); it seems unlikely Meghan herself asked the organization to be released of her duties. I wonder whether other organizations will follow this example; especially since this was one that never had a royal patron before and specifically worked with Meghan because of Meghan.

I think this was the logical next step for Mayhew. It does not appear that Meghan intends to maintain any links in the UK in any meaningful way, so it is best that they part ways.

I don?t think this is any surprise. The Sussexes? life is now in California, where they?re happy, and it?s impossible to be a royal patron or mentor to any UK-based organisation or charity from so far away.

I don?t think this is any surprise. The Sussexes? life is now in California, where they?re happy, and it?s impossible to be a royal patron or mentor to any UK-based organisation or charity from so far away.

Surely there must be "British" charities and organisations in the United States? Could they not given these ex-pats a Royal presence at their functions and balls?

Last edited:
Surely there must be "British" charities and organisations in the United States? Could they not given these ex-pats a Royal presence at their functions and balls?

I think at this point, it's best for the Sussexes to remain clearly away from anything "royal" in their future endeavors. There will be patronages that they'll support but they won't be "royal" ones.

:previous: From the article link. Good luck to all of the competitors!

The Duchess of Sussex will be joining husband Prince Harry at the Invictus Games this week.
The confirmation follows days of speculation that Meghan would be flying to the Netherlands for the event, the first time she has set foot in Europe since leaving the royal family in March 2020.
The games are being held in The Hague from April 16 and will run for two weeks.
A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex told Town and Country Magazine Meghan would be accompanying Harry for the first few days of the competition.
It's understood the couple won't bring their two children, Archie and Lilibet.
The 2022 Games, which have been postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic, will be covered in a special documentary for Netflix, Heart of Invictus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom